2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deffered, LizzyM 78 IS, so unbelievably sad

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How did you all hear? Email or portal? I wonder what not hearing at this point means...

Members don't see this ad :)
So their latest tweet... does that mean that all acceptances are out? What if I haven't heard? Is there still hope?

So their latest tweet... does that mean that all acceptances are out? What if I haven't heard? Is there still hope?
I think so. Still hope perhaps if deferred or if you're real lucky, waitlisted

Can any current students help explain how they found housing? I'm specifically interested in living in Munger, but it seems that move-in at Munger doesn't really start until August.

The UMich Snapchat is doing a segment on the Branches part of the UMMS curriculum today if anyone is interested. @UofMichigan on Snapchat

Reactions: 1 users
lol I almost never pick up my phone but when I got a call from MI I figured it was UM related so I picked up. Just had a sufficiently awkward conversation with an M1 while I was trying to quickly shove dinner down my throat before class.

Reactions: 4 users
lol I almost never pick up my phone but when I got a call from MI I figured it was UM related so I picked up. Just had a sufficiently awkward conversation with an M1 while I was trying to quickly shove dinner down my throat before class.

I didn't realize that registering for second look would cost money. Did they discuss that with you during the phone call? Man I'm so broke it's not even funny.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I, too, never pick up the phone. What was the call about? I let a call from detroit ring through about an hour ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Not 100% confident about this, but i too got the call today and answered. I seem to remember them saying that it was a deposit tho for second look. I think we get our money back if we actually go. (Probably just a way to ensure we dont RSVP and then blow it off)

I, too, never pick up the phone. What was the call about? I let a call from detroit ring through about an hour ago.
Also to answer your question, it was basically just an M1 ambassador asking if we had any question about second look and to keep an eye out for a rsvp email in the next day or so. Basically just trying to get you pumped. Classic michigan :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't realize that registering for second look would cost money. Did they discuss that with you during the phone call? Man I'm so broke it's not even funny.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't realize either! But the student who I spoke to said we get the deposit back if we attend or if we cancel by a certain date which I think was in late March.

He was just saying to look out for the official SLW email invitation tomorrow, and asked me if I had any questions about it or questions in general about Michigan.

I didn't realize either! But the student who I spoke to said we get the deposit back if we attend or if we cancel by a certain date which I think was in late March.

Also to answer your question, it was basically just an M1 ambassador asking if we had any question about second look and to keep an eye out for a rsvp email in the next day or so. Basically just trying to get you pumped. Classic michigan :)

Alright that makes sense. Thank you both for clarifying!

Anyone have any information on how receptive they are to applicants asking for scholarship money based on a desire to go to their school over another cheaper acceptance?

Anyone have any information on how receptive they are to applicants asking for scholarship money based on a desire to go to their school over another cheaper acceptance?
^^^^ This. I'm deciding between a near full ride at my state school and UMich. Obviously leaning towards UMich. The heart wants what the heart wants.

^^^+1 would also like to know. Currently holding on to one other acceptance specifically for this purpose, but would like to know if my efforts are futile.

Well done Michigan, well done. Whoever is apart of the advertising, promotions and/or media team at Michigan Med really knows how to get people excited.

Reactions: 2 users
"Night life events" that's what I'm talking bout ayyyy

Reactions: 2 users
No way would I attend medical school in a Red State.

Wait so have they sent out info about second look?

Are any of you not attending second-look weekend because you cannot afford it? I am still planning to attend in the Fall but I don't think I can afford to take time off work and fly to Michigan unfortunately. :(

If your family's financial situation is tight, you could inquire about financial aid for second look (politely and tactfully, of course). I know that a number of top schools offer this, and Michigan has been open to offering travel assistance $ in the past. It's worth definitely worth a shot in my opinion.

Are any of you not attending second-look weekend because you cannot afford it? I am still planning to attend in the Fall but I don't think I can afford to take time off work and fly to Michigan unfortunately. :(

Me. But mostly because I would rather spend the $$ on my vacation in Europe this summer ha. So I don't think they would really go for what @coffeeandcodeine said for my situation ha.

Has anyone started looking for housing? I'm looking for pet friendly options in/around Kerrytown and its proving to be rather difficult.

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to only come for part of SLW? I have to present my research on Friday the 21st and wouldn't make it to Ann Arbor until at least Friday evening

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to only come for part of SLW? I have to present my research on Friday the 21st and wouldn't make it to Ann Arbor until at least Friday evening

if you are not from Ann Arbor, I would go!! Friday evening + saturday is a fair amount of time still to meet your future classmates.

Does anybody know how difficult of a task it would be to become a resident of Michigan for people that plan on going to the school from out of state?

Do we need to do anything if we won't be attending second look weekend but will be attending the school? I mentioned this before but I simply cannot afford to attend second look weekend.

Does anybody know how difficult of a task it would be to become a resident of Michigan for people that plan on going to the school from out of state?

I am curious about this too.

Not doable for school. You need to be employed in michigan for a minimum of 12 months. Attending school doesn't count for residency purposes.

If anyone is interested, USNEWS has released a preview of the top 10 med schools 2018 in alphabetic order. UMich seems to have jumped a few spots for there are exactly 10 schools. Notable absences include NYU, UW & UofChicago. With the recent changes made to the curriculum I expect UMich to be in the top 5 very soon. Just a hunch though..

I know rankings are somewhat taboo here but I think they speak to a culture of excellence and self-improvement to some extent.

Reactions: 5 users
If anyone is interested, USNEWS has released a preview of the top 10 med schools 2018 in alphabetic order. UMich seems to have jumped a few spots for there are exactly 10 schools. Notable absences include NYU, UW & UofChicago. With the recent changes made to the curriculum I expect UMich to be in the top 5 very soon. Just a hunch though..

I know rankings are somewhat taboo here but I think they speak to a culture of excellence and self-improvement to some extent.
Can you post link?

Did anyone receive a notification on how to officially accept the admissions offer? I heard we will be notified sometime this month!

Last edited:
Did anyone receive a notification on how to officially accept the admissions offer? I heard we will be notified sometime this month!
My guess is that information will come out after merit scholarships are offered on the 17th

So if I still have a deferred decision from here since like October, and I'm supposed to hear back "no later than March" does that mean I'm basically waiting to hear how they nicely phrase that I'm waitlisted?