2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are people actually using 500 words on all of these prompts? I'm about to tackle this one and feel seriously overwhelmed
I used 500 words for the prompt about the significant clinical experience but around 300 for the rest. I just tried to write naturally and not force myself to use the full character limit. Plus I figured they would prefer quality over quantity

Members don't see this ad.

Are people actually using 500 words on all of these prompts? I'm about to tackle this one and feel seriously overwhelmed
You don't need to force 500 words for each one. Just write from your heart.

Thoughts on the optional essays? How significant should your experiences be to talk about them? For example, I lived half my life abroad, can I list that under "Travel experience" and talk about it a little? If the hobbies essay is only ~100 words, is it worth writing?

Also, for those interested in MD/MPH, where did you mention that? I might be an idiot but I don't see anywhere asking about it...

I believe there's another link somewhere towards the bottom or maybe a checkbox that reveals the additional questions. If you can't find those then email admissions and they'll provide a link to the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just shot them a short, courteous email apologizing and then provided the update in the email body.

If you ever have questions I'd say it's always best to call the admissions office and just ask. They're very understanding and its a lot faster/clearer than emailing them.
So I had actually put very brief description/Name of activity when I submitted. Like " Hospital Volunteer at so n so place"
"Shadowed Cardiologist at so n so place". Now is that enough cause it's self explanatory . Or should I be talking about what I actually did there?
How much description have you guys given?
Thank you so much !

Reactions: 1 user
For the clinical experience essay, could it be an experience where I was the patient? Like basically everyone else I had already written about the most important shadowing experience and would rather put a different event

Hey, any idea how they evaluate academic institution quality points? how does GPA translate to points?

-also, is there some sort of minimum value of points to obtain II?

Heyo all,

I'm an incoming M1, and, like all the other accepted students here, would be happy to answer any questions.

Every application is given a score based on the criteria shown. The highest scores will be offered IIs first. While I don't think that there's a score minimum, if they fill all of their interview slots with people whose scores are higher than yours...well, you get it.

You get reviewed again AFTER your interview; while I'm not positive, I believe that it's another score from your interviewer/interviewers (MD applicants get one interview, but they may have 2 interviewers.) This total combined score dictates who is accepted. The top ~20 of each interview date are accepted, the rest are mostly put on the waitlist, but rejections do happen.

Is merit based aid based on their admissions formula?

I don't think so. I got one of the last interview dates, was accepted off the waitlist and still received a sizable scholarship. Through your secondary and interview, give them reasons to believe that you'll more than thrive at UM. They say "Funds for reducing the high cost of tuition are extremely limited. Your selection for this award indicates that we view you as a student of high potential." Make them believe that you're a student of high potential. Kinda all I can say about that though...

Reactions: 1 users
For the secondary application under the sections where you list dates of experiences, are you expanding on any of them or just listing them?

I had the same experience of getting off the wait list and getting a scholarship. So I wouldn't write off the possibility of getting financial help if wait listed. Mine was specifically called a merit based scholarship too.
I don't think so. I got one of the last interview dates, was accepted off the waitlist and still received a sizable scholarship. Through your secondary and interview, give them reasons to believe that you'll more than thrive at UM. They say "Funds for reducing the high cost of tuition are extremely limited. Your selection for this award indicates that we view you as a student of high potential." Make them believe that you're a student of high potential. Kinda all I can say about that though...

This secondary has been a beast... Is it okay to submit 2-4 weeks after receiving a secondary?

Yes! Passed the screen! This is definitely one of my top choices - I was very sad when I realized that the email that I thought was a secondary was actually just acknowledging that they got my AMCAS.

Yes! Passed the screen! This is definitely one of my top choices - I was very sad when I realized that the email that I thought was a secondary was actually just acknowledging that they got my AMCAS.

Those are the worst kind of tease aren't they? Only passed by getting an email notification and the email isn't at all medical school-related.

This secondary has been a beast... Is it okay to submit 2-4 weeks after receiving a secondary?

I'm submitting about two weeks after but honesty the faster, the better. The sooner you submit, the sooner they'll be able to review it and (hopefully) offer an interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank GOD for the 'paste from word' button. This is the first secondary I have been comfortable copy and pasting from my prewrite doc.

I think everyone gets a secondary right?

But yes, I've heard Miami looks at everything overall and cares more about experiences. Am i right on this?

I'm submitting about two weeks after but honesty the faster, the better. The sooner you submit, the sooner they'll be able to review it and (hopefully) offer an interview

Awesome thanks for your reply! oh.. and i forgot to mention im retaking my MCAT july 22. So balancing writing secondaries and studying has been difficult :/

Status change today

"Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April)."
How long after submitting did you see the status change ?

Awesome thanks for your reply! oh.. and i forgot to mention im retaking my MCAT july 22. So balancing writing secondaries and studying has been difficult :/

No problem! Yeah I can only imagine but I just know it's all about timing. Someone with amazing stats and essays can take a month later to submit over someone who may not have as good of a GPA/MCAT/ECs and potentially decrease their chances at getting an interview. It sucks and don't stress too much but just try to get it in asap

No problem! Yeah I can only imagine but I just know it's all about timing. Someone with amazing stats and essays can take a month later to submit over someone who may not have as good of a GPA/MCAT/ECs and potentially decrease their chances at getting an interview. It sucks and don't stress too much but just try to get it in asap
So I have four out of five letters, and the holdout has had over two months to write his. He has been unexpectedly out of the office for the last two weeks, and hasn't gotten back to me. I am starting to get worried, especially as once he submits his letter, my Pre-Health committee will take at least 3 weeks to write and submit a cover letter for my letter packet.
Now that I am receiving secondary requests from all my schools, do you think I should email/call each admissions office and let them know why my letters are taking so long?
My essays, photo, and fees are complete at several other schools, and I am almost done with the rest, so there's nothing left I need to do but they won't look at me until all of my letters are in right?

So I have four out of five letters, and the holdout has had over two months to write his. He has been unexpectedly out of the office for the last two weeks, and hasn't gotten back to me. I am starting to get worried, especially as once he submits his letter, my Pre-Health committee will take at least 3 weeks to write and submit a cover letter for my letter packet.
Now that I am receiving secondary requests from all my schools, do you think I should email/call each admissions office and let them know why my letters are taking so long?
My essays, photo, and fees are complete at several other schools, and I am almost done with the rest, so there's nothing left I need to do but they won't look at me until all of my letters are in right?
also in an identical predicament. i too have a 3 month hold out. very important letter as well. it is a shame that they don't evaluate you until they have your letters when *most* schools don't even look at them until after you're invited.

Yeah unfortunately I'm pretty sure most of them require you have to all of that in before they start looking through your secondary but I'm not positive, it could vary by school! I would definitely call the adcoms of the schools you applied to just to let them know. Don't stress it too much cause it sounds like it's out of your hands, but maybe speak to the Pre-Health committee at your school and see if you can rush that 3 weeks? Just try to explain that some schools won't look at your app without it and it's the only thing you're waiting on. But like I said, don't stress what you can't control!

Are you all including descriptions with your chronological lists of activities? It didn't say anything about it and for me it's all on my primary anyway but I wasn't sure

Are you all including descriptions with your chronological lists of activities? It didn't say anything about it and for me it's all on my primary anyway but I wasn't sure
you should include a small blurb, its aactually in the email you got intially from UM regarding 2ndary details, says include small description

Would any current students please comment on if there are opportunities to get involved in global health programs or go abroad at all for international clinical work for students only in the MD program? (I already have an MPH). Thanks in advance!!

Status change today

"Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April)."

I also got an update early last week but mine was worded differently:

Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March.

Kind of odd, right?

Last edited:
For, describe your research experience. Did you all describe your actual research project or what have you learned from it?

Does anyone know if a letter from a science faculty that is your PI instead of your actual professor counts for one of the science faculty letters? Coming from a Big10 school I only have one actual science faculty letter and one from my PI.

My application shows "letters of recommendation received" and a green checkmark with the message "your application is now under consideration."

However, only one of my letters has arrived; the other two haven't been submitted yet.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March.

Kind of odd, right?
They likely send out II in batches and not as an as reviewed basis. So when they have enough, they'll send 'em out.

The thought that all those IIs are already assigned and just waiting to be sent out makes me antsy haha
For Miami's purposes, I bet they have people already reviewed in a pile ranked by score and then people are added until a certain number or date is reached. Looks like the first II were sent out end of July according to last year's thread. And it seems the ranking system is correct, the first person to post about an II was complete 7/23 and got the II 7/29 lol

For Miami's purposes, I bet they have people already reviewed in a pile ranked by score and then people are added until a certain number or date is reached. Looks like the first II were sent out end of July according to last year's thread. And it seems the ranking system is correct, the first person to post about an II was complete 7/23 and got the II 7/29 lol

g41z2.jpg

My application shows "letters of recommendation received" and a green checkmark with the message "your application is now under consideration."

However, only one of my letters has arrived; the other two haven't been submitted yet.

Has this happened to anyone else?

My letters were through AMCAS, but it says my LORS havent been received?.... confused as what to do, also it says Application not complete, but then says at the bottom

Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

anyone know who I should contact regarding the letters?

EDIT: I forgot to assign letters to UM on AMCAS -___-

Soo...my hobbies also involve sports and fine arts. Not sure where to talk about these things. For the Fine Arts and Sports optional essays, are these meant to be more formal, organized activities?

Soo...my hobbies also involve sports and fine arts. Not sure where to talk about these things. For the Fine Arts and Sports optional essays, are these meant to be more formal, organized activities?

I just said "In addition to the music related endeavors discussed above...." and wrote about some more informal hobbies.

I would keep them separate meaning only list hobbies if u have any that were not already talked about. These are optional in the sense that it's rare for one person to have stuff for every question.

Thanks @ChrisMack390 .. I have been seeing you all over the forums! we must have applied to a million of the same schools. Hope to see you on the interview trail!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! For those of you who decided not to copy and paste your activities from AMCAS, how did you change up their descriptions? Not exactly sure how to change descriptions. I'm also having the same problem with discussing my most significant clinical experience as I wrote about it in my PS and elaborated further on it on my primary. Any help is appreciated!

Another question -- did you all put your clinical volunteering under 'clinical/shadowing' or 'volunteering/community service' ?

EDIT: magical search function, just saw this was addressed already. sorry!

This secondary has taken me so long! And in researching for why miami?, I fell in love with the school, so I want my essays to be perfect.

What I have left is the chronological lists. how did people format these?

What I have left is the chronological lists. how did people format these?
I just wrote location, date range, and a short description. For example ...

Marianas Trench: (January 2012 - March 2012)
Piloted submersible vessel Deepsea Challenger under direction of Canadian film director James Cameron. Responsible for systems check, onboard rations, and maintenance of emergency escape pod.

And we all love this place, so you're in good company ;). Good luck!

Awesome. Sorry I have so many questions, but would it look weird/bad to include an activity in my chronological list of community service that I did not include on my primary application due to space?

I volunteered in an elementary school in MN but due to very limited hours at the time of application I did not include this activity in my ECs. The school is out for the summer but I plan to pick the activity back up in the fall. Can I include this in my volunteering section, or should I leave it as what was on my primary.

Submitted 7/7 but my status is still "under review," is that a bad thing?

Submitting today. This is my dream school but with my stats, it is a long shot. Hopefully they give some home town love. Good luck to everyone applying. This secondary is a beast, luckily I had most of their answers pre-written.

Kind of odd, right?

When did you submit, if you don't mind me asking?