2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a February interview date? I've been complete since July and it's been nothing but silence since then, and while I haven't been outright rejected I know there can't be many interview slots left. They have also offered almost twice as many acceptances already as they had last year at this point (on January 7 last year they were at 96), so I don't know what to make of that.

Admissions Tracker

Updated Dec. 21, 2016

• Applications: 7,057
  • Secondary Applications: 4,494
  • Interview Offers: 448
  • Acceptance Offers: 188

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a February interview date? I've been complete since July and it's been nothing but silence since then, and while I haven't been outright rejected I know there can't be many interview slots left. They have also offered almost twice as many acceptances already as they had last year at this point (on January 7 last year they were at 96), so I don't know what to make of that.

Admissions Tracker

Updated Dec. 21, 2016

A few days before Christmas, I called the admissions office to inquire if they accepted pre-ii updates. They do not, but the guy at the office gave a really beautiful and encouraging spiel that silence at this point in the season is a good, possibly great, sign and that they interview through February.

Reactions: 4 users
the guy at the office gave a really beautiful and encouraging spiel that silence at this point in the season is a good, possibly great, sign and that they interview through February.
How incredibly... diplomatic of them

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A few days before Christmas, I called the admissions office to inquire if they accepted pre-ii updates. They do not, but the guy at the office gave a really beautiful and encouraging spiel that silence at this point in the season is a good, possibly great, sign and that they interview through February.
Mind sharing what he said? Because I have only seen one wave of rejections on this thread. I'm a second time applicant, and last year they just sent out a notification at the end of the cycle when They finished interviews and didn't really reject anyone. I could really use some encouragement !

Admissions Tracker

Updated Dec. 21, 2016

That is a lot of acceptance. Looks like they were at 281 acceptances last year on June 1. But then they may have changed their process or maybe they are expecting fewer of the initial accept applicants to matriculate. It is hard to say.
Since a few people from my interview day have been accepted, and I have not hear anything, I am prepared to not hear much too March, after interview season is over for CU. Unless of course I receive a rejection prior to that.
On a positive note, now that he holiday season is over, admissions should start picking up pace again.
Good luck to everybody!

Mind sharing what he said? Because I have only seen one wave of rejections on this thread. I'm a second time applicant, and last year they just sent out a notification at the end of the cycle when They finished interviews and didn't really reject anyone. I could really use some encouragement !
I don't remember the exact words used, but he indicated that a fair amount of rejections had actually gone out already. He did say that silence at this point in the season indicates that our applications are still under active review and not to worry about not hearing back yet since they interview through February. The guy seemed very genuine and well informed.
I now have a lot more hope for my application. Who knows, they haven't tossed us out yet! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I don't remember the exact words used, but he indicated that a fair amount of rejections had actually gone out already. He did say that silence at this point in the season indicates that our applications are still under active review and not to worry about not hearing back yet since they interview through February. The guy seemed very genuine and well informed.
I now have a lot more hope for my application. Who knows, they haven't tossed us out yet! :)

That's great if true, but I haven't seen a rejection from anybody in this.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think if they like you enough to interview you, they will at least punt on rejections until they finalize the wait list in March. Even if you are not offered an acceptance during the interview cycle I believe they will at least come back to your application and consider it for the wait list. Although that should be taken with a grain of salt because I was on the "high priority" list last here, but lo and behold I am still not in medical school yet.

I'm sorry for that bit of negativity but I'm still salty about it. Lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they do in the area interviews? I know it is unlikely but I live on the east coast and will be out in CO in February-would it be worth emailing admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the Student Doctor Network and I'm happy to have found this thread! I applied this cycle, interviewed Dec 9, and I'm anxiously awaiting a response (as is everyone). Does anybody have any clue what the admission committee's schedule looked like for Dec (full of holidays)? I heard they were meeting twice a month before Dec. Hopefully they were meeting shortly after interviews, as I'm sure a long gap between an interview and a committee meeting would decrease what the interviewers remember about individual applicants.

It looks like the last interview with acceptance offers was Nov 18- did anyone interview between Nov 18 and Dec 9? I'm pretty sure the Dec interviews should be hearing back soon!

Thanks all!

What was the Colorado Springs Branch essay prompt and length?

Please submit a short statement regarding your interest in the Colorado Springs Branch. You may address characteristics of the Branch that would be a fit for your strengths, experiences, and/or career plans. You may also note your ties to or interest in Colorado Springs or other similar communities. Limit the essay to 1500 characters, including spaces (approximately 300 words).

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the Student Doctor Network and I'm happy to have found this thread! I applied this cycle, interviewed Dec 9, and I'm anxiously awaiting a response (as is everyone). Does anybody have any clue what the admission committee's schedule looked like for Dec (full of holidays)? I heard they were meeting twice a month before Dec. Hopefully they were meeting shortly after interviews, as I'm sure a long gap between an interview and a committee meeting would decrease what the interviewers remember about individual applicants.

It looks like the last interview with acceptance offers was Nov 18- did anyone interview between Nov 18 and Dec 9? I'm pretty sure the Dec interviews should be hearing back soon!

Thanks all!
+1 (im)patiently waiting from Dec!

Has anyone heard anything at all since the new year?

Reactions: 6 users
I had a minor surgery at UCH today and it just confirmed how much I want to go here. I loved the vibe on interview day and I loved the experience as a patient.

OOS II today! Had pretty much given up on this school so I'm excited!

OOS II today! Had pretty much given up on this school so I'm excited!
Congratulations!! This is going to have me obsessively checking my inbox all day.

Reactions: 1 users
I never really understood people when they'd say "I absolutely fell in LUVV w/ [insert school name] on interview day!!1!" until I interviewed at CU today. Don't get me wrong, I didn't "fall in love" and my heart won't break if I don't get an acceptance here, but I definitely felt like this is a school, community, and area that I would thoroughly enjoy spending the next 4 years at... and I would be surprised if any potential student didn't feel the same.

The only issue I have with CU is the ridiculously high, non-modifiable (if you're OOS at the time of applying, you pay OOS tuition for all 4 years) OOS tuition of $89,000/year (after factoring in modest living expenses). I truly believe that no school, regardless of how happy you'll be as a student there, is worth that much debt. However, if you're willing to deal with that kind of potential indebtedness, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better medical school to attend than CU. That's my impression after interviewing here.

Thanks all!

+1 (im)patiently waiting from Dec!

They told us at the interview today that the committee will meet next Friday, and every other Friday from that point.

The only issue I have with CU is the ridiculously high, non-modifiable (if you're OOS at the time of applying, you pay OOS tuition for all 4 years) OOS tuition of $89,000/year (after factoring in modest living expenses). I truly believe that no school, regardless of how happy you'll be as a student there, is worth that much debt. However, if you're willing to deal with that kind of potential indebtedness, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better medical school to attend than CU. That's my impression after interviewing here.

Thank you for reminding me of the exorbitant OOS tuition so I'll be less upset when/if I get rejected!

Thank you for reminding me of the exorbitant OOS tuition so I'll be less upset when/if I get rejected!

+1. Mother of god 89k/year? I know Colorado (as a state and school) is amazing but jesus.

+1. Mother of god 89k/year? I know Colorado (as a state and school) is amazing but jesus.
Better than paying $300K for Caribbean with a 25% chance at becoming a doc. Sure, you'll be in debt till you're 35, but after 35 you're golden.

Better than paying $300K for Caribbean with a 25% chance at becoming a doc. Sure, you'll be in debt till you're 35, but after 35 you're golden.
Who said anything about going to the Caribbean? A potential matriculant at Colorado is likely a good enough applicant to have acceptances at other US medical schools. Considering the average in-state tuition + cost of living for a public US medical school = 50-60k/year, I don't really think it would be worth it to pay 2x as much just for the Colorado experience.

Who said anything about going to the Caribbean? A potential matriculant at Colorado is likely a good enough applicant to have acceptances at other US medical schools. Considering the average in-state tuition + cost of living for a public US medical school = 50-60k/year, I don't really think it would be worth it to pay 2x as much just for the Colorado experience.

Just wanted to offer a different perspective for this. I interviewed in October and was accepted to CU, and I have three other interviews from awesome schools.

I know CU is expensive, but that's why I'm churning out these scholarship applications (CU has some 10K-40K/year scholarships which accepted students can apply for). Almost every other school I interviewed at is significantly cheaper than CU. They all have students who love their program and are well-adjusted. The big difference, however, is that my SO is going to have a much higher quality of life and better job prospects in Denver than those other places. Since he's moving for me to go to school, it is absolutely worth it to make sure he has the best possible 4 years, since I'll be busy with school.

I have friends and family at CU Anschutz and they're genuinely happy about choosing Denver. It's also really hard to beat a day trip up to Breck, then beers at Great Divide at night. So, the high pricetag does suck, but the quality of life trade-off is also important.

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if they're receptive to ITA emails?

Has anyone that interviewed received a rejection?

Looks like they've given about a hundred more interview offers since late December, but no acceptances unless that section just didn't get updated. I may call today and see if I can squeeze any more information from them.

Admissions Tracker

Updated Jan. 19, 2017

• Interview Offers: 530

Looks like they've given about a hundred more interview offers since late December, but no acceptances unless that section just didn't get updated. I may call today and see if I can squeeze any more information from them.

Admissions Tracker

Updated Jan. 19, 2017

Do you my friend, but I think a more worthy use of your time may be to do something else. Go outside, help someone, read a book, volunteer. CU knows what they are doing and what/who they want. Calling to "squeeze" them seems like a way to annoy them and to frustrate you. I totally understand that its difficult but I would encourage you to step away from the obsessive numbers checking and to trust that it will happen as it should. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D851 using SDN mobile

Admissions Tracker

Updated Jan. 19, 2017

Let us know what they say!

Just now got an II now. Is it even worth interviewing? It seems that they have already accepted or interviewed all of the people that they need...

Yes. They usually accept around 300 people per cycle. There are plenty of acceptances still available.

Does anyone know if we can apply for the scholarships even if we have yet to be accepted? It appears the deadline is February 13th. I'm assuming no but didn't want to miss out on an opportunity if I am fortunate enough to be offered an acceptance.

Does anyone know if we can apply for the scholarships even if we have yet to be accepted? It appears the deadline is February 13th. I'm assuming no but didn't want to miss out on an opportunity if I am fortunate enough to be offered an acceptance.

I asked about this during my Dec interview, and the financial aid representative told me that we are out of luck- you can't apply for scholarships until you have been granted admission.

Good luck!

Really hoping they get back to more acceptances this week!

I asked about this during my Dec interview, and the financial aid representative told me that we are out of luck- you can't apply for scholarships until you have been granted admission.

Good luck!

Really hoping they get back to more acceptances this week!

I also received an II last week (on Thursday) and will be interviewing this Friday!

Do you happen to know whether these scholarships are only available to apply to during your application cycle, or can we apply for these scholarships on a year to year basis?

I also received an II last week (on Thursday) and will be interviewing this Friday!

Do you happen to know whether these scholarships are only available to apply to during your application cycle, or can we apply for these scholarships on a year to year basis?
On the scholarships application page, there are two different pages for incoming students, as well as returning students. There are different scholarships on both pages.

So when it says "acceptances offered" does that include waitlist offers? Or just actuall acceptances?

So when it says "acceptances offered" does that include waitlist offers? Or just actuall acceptances?

I don't think CU makes their waitlist till March or April, after interview season is done for them.

Actual acceptances. As far as I know, they haven't formed a waitlist yet.

Accepted today, got the call around 12 pm PST !! Super stoked. :) Interviewed in mid December, OOS

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted today, got the call around 12 pm PST !! Super stoked. :) Interviewed in mid December, OOS
Congrats!! I interviewed in mid December as well. Have not heard anything yet. Any idea what that means? Thanks everyone.

Congrats!! I interviewed in mid December as well. Have not heard anything yet. Any idea what that means? Thanks everyone.
The trend seems to be that they've been calling acceptances. Either they haven't made it to your date yet, or it's a waitlist that will be set in March.