2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The trend seems to be that they've been calling acceptances. Either they haven't made it to your date yet, or it's a waitlist that will be set in March.
Thank you!
Accepted today, got the call around 12 pm PST !! Super stoked. :) Interviewed in mid December, OOS
If you don't mind answering, what day did you interview? Congrats again!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is quite ominous

(Refreshes email for a rejection)
Haha no I haven't gotten any news I was just sad that an acceptance was given from a December interview and that might mean a waitlist for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha no I haven't gotten any news I was just sad that an acceptance was given from a December interview and that might mean a waitlist for me.
Or it could be that youre the next phone call! Keep the faith

Sent from my LG-D851 using SDN mobile

Anyone who interviewed post-holiday break, have you gotten any emails with contact info from the director of student life?

Anyone who interviewed post-holiday break, have you gotten any emails with contact info from the director of student life?

interviewed on the 13th and have heard nothing since.

Just called the admissions office and was told the last interview day is February 24th, but they are still sending out invites.

Just called the admissions office and was told the last interview day is February 24th, but they are still sending out invites.

wow, its almost over. I'm surprised that I haven't gotten an II from here as an IS... I guess I can hope for the best and should consider myself lucky for having acceptances elsewhere

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah feeling like I got rejected at this point :( Doubt they're still making acceptance calls for people who interviewed in December.

Does anyone who has been accepted know how soon after the call you got an acceptance email/letter?

Does anyone know what the first interview date in January was?

Hey everyone! I interviewed mid December and haven't heard anything back yet. I was just curious, does anyone know if there is still a chance to hear back between now and March? Or at this point should I be hoping for waitlist? Thank you.

Hey everyone! I interviewed mid December and haven't heard anything back yet. I was just curious, does anyone know if there is still a chance to hear back between now and March? Or at this point should I be hoping for waitlist? Thank you.

I don't know if anybody can answer that question. They have accepted over 188 at this time and they usually accept 300 to fill their class. I think their interview season ends start of March, and if memory serves right they release their waitlist sometimes end of March. The good news is you likely have less than a couple of months to wait before finding out.

I interviewed mid-November and have still not heard anything. I have no idea what to make of it. But my gut says I will be waitlisted, since other people from my interview day have received acceptances.

Historically their top third waitlist has moved well except the past couple of years. I would still have hope if I was in the top third waitlist, but mid tier waitlist would mean a rejection to me unless it was an odd year for them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't know if anybody can answer that question. They have accepted over 188 at this time and they usually accept 300 to fill their class. I think their interview season ends start of March, and if memory serves right they release their waitlist sometimes end of March. The good news is you likely have less than a couple of months to wait before finding out.

I interviewed mid-November and have still not heard anything. I have no idea what to make of it. But my gut says I will be waitlisted, since other people from my interview day have received acceptances.

Historically their top third waitlist has moved well except the past couple of years. I would still have hope if I was in the top third waitlist, but mid tier waitlist would mean a rejection to me unless it was an odd year for them.

Thank you for the info! That's really helpful. Until the admissions tracker is updated, I'm holding out hope from my Dec interview!

IMG_0023.jpg

Immediately rechecks MSAR's interviews offered...

Either there are more II's to come or there will be quite a bit fewer this year.
I'm not sure they updated the interviews offered part...it hasn't changed since the last update. But I could be wrong.

I'm not sure they updated the interviews offered part...it hasn't changed since the last update. But I could be wrong.

You're right, good catch.

Someone here reported getting one after the last update so they definitely sent some out.

You're right, good catch.

Someone here reported getting one after the last update so they definitely sent some out.
It is sort of weird that the number of secondaries went up this late in the season...wondering if maybe they forgot to update that last time.

Thank you for the info! That's really helpful. Until the admissions tracker is updated, I'm holding out hope from my Dec interview!

Update: they have historically offered 275 to 300 acceptances to fill their class. Since I tend to be conservative, I would say 70 more acceptances left. Also if I remember correctly, the top priority waitlist is about 66 applicants. So either there is going to be less waitlist movement this year, or they will only be offering a handful more acceptances before they make their waitlist.
Another scenario may be that they are expecting a lower yield from their initial acceptances. And then there may be more acceptances to come and more waitlist movement.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.

FWIW - the tracker was updated to reflect the correct number of Interview offers. 88 additional were given out.

Updated Feb. 6, 2017

• Applications: 7,057
  • Secondary Applications: 4,787
  • Interview Offers: 618
  • Acceptance Offers: 205

FWIW - the tracker was updated to reflect the correct number of Interview offers. 88 additional were given out.

Updated Feb. 6, 2017

• Applications: 7,057
  • Secondary Applications: 4,787
  • Interview Offers: 618
  • Acceptance Offers: 205
Do they plan on giving out any more?

Do they plan on giving out any more?
Looking at MSAR it looks like they gave out 700 interviews last year, so I wouldn't expect too many more interviews to be given out; especially since their last interview date is Feb 24th. It would be nice if they told us how many people have been rejected pre-II.

How is Colorado in terms of their scholarships and financial aid packages? I would love to go here but the high OOS price makes me weary.

How is Colorado in terms of their scholarships and financial aid packages? I would love to go here but the high OOS price makes me weary.

First things first, I really appreciate your handle/avitar.

As for scholarships/financial aid packages, they are not spectacular to be honest. There are a few scholarships that new students can apply for. Some of the scholarships can be up to $10,000 per year with the ability to re-apply each year, but for the most part the scholarships offered are for less money ($1,000-$5,000 per year).
sticker,375x360.u1.png

I'm not well versed on the specifics - but would the "Average Graduate Indebtedness" metric on the MSAR be any help?

I'm not well versed on the specifics - but would the "Average Graduate Indebtedness" metric on the MSAR be any help?

The problem is that it lumps all students, whereas a state school can have dramatic differences in prices tags for different students.

The problem is that it lumps all students, whereas a state school can have dramatic differences in prices tags for different students.

At my interview day, one of their current students who was an OOS applicant said that if you are a highly desirable candidate to CU then they may make you a very good financial aid offer. In fact it was the financial aid package he received that helped him decide on CU. Somebody from admissions actually called him with the financial aid offer. But that is likely not the case with all OOS students.

Any new acceptance this past week? Maybe they're done with accepting until the waitlist?

Any new acceptance this past week? Maybe they're done with accepting until the waitlist?

I want to know this too. This is nerve wrecking. I dislike that people have until April 30 to narrow choices down to one school. I know people turn schools down along the way but I just wish it all happened a little faster.
The anticipation is driving me nutz!

I've heard through the grapevine that there will be another batch of acceptances and rejections before the waitlist notifications. Not sure if this is true or if it will extend back to older interview dates. If it's not true, there will be a ton of waitlist movement.

Anyone done scholarships?

I submitted mine with fewer than 3,000 characters, but more than the reocmmended # of words. Anyone heard if characters are right to go by here?

Also, did you guys add HTML paragraph breaks?

Did you see any that included resumes?

Does anyone know how to go back to scholarships and look at what you've submitted?

Thanks!

I've heard through the grapevine that there will be another batch of acceptances and rejections before the waitlist notifications. Not sure if this is true or if it will extend back to older interview dates. If it's not true, there will be a ton of waitlist movement.

Yes, I interviewed on Jan 20th and they said that they would likely be making offers around 3 weeks after that interview date, with waitlist and rejection decisions to come later. They didn't say if this round of offers would include acceptances from previous interview dates.

Yes, I interviewed on Jan 20th and they said that they would likely be making offers around 3 weeks after that interview date, with waitlist and rejection decisions to come later. They didn't say if this round of offers would include acceptances from previous interview dates.
Eeeeeek.

A friend who works in admissions told me last week they will send out ~280 acceptances. Currently they are at 205. As of the time of this conversation they had 3 more interview dates (including last Friday), and this friend said that the interview last friday had ~20 people. Based on these numbers, even if they accept every person they interview from here on out (60 interviewees, which they won't), they will still need to go back through and accept from previous interviews.

I understand this will cause a few freak-outs (sorry to those), but my intent in sharing this is to inspire hope. For context I interviewed 9/30 and am still waiting to hear.

Good luck to everyone!

p.s. i'm going back to continuously checking r/asoiaf for any news about TWOW release dates. This year has a been a real exercise in patience.

Reactions: 3 users
A friend who works in admissions told me last week they will send out ~280 acceptances. Currently they are at 205. As of the time of this conversation they had 3 more interview dates (including last Friday), and this friend said that the interview last friday had ~20 people. Based on these numbers, even if they accept every person they interview from here on out (60 interviewees, which they won't), they will still need to go back through and accept from previous interviews.

I understand this will cause a few freak-outs (sorry to those), but my intent in sharing this is to inspire hope. For context I interviewed 9/30 and am still waiting to hear.

Good luck to everyone!

p.s. i'm going back to continuously checking r/asoiaf for any news about TWOW release dates. This year has a been a real exercise in patience.

any idea if acceptance decisions have been made, and applicants contacted, for the early january interview dates?

Have any reapplicants heard about a II? I am an IS reapplicant with a reasonably high MCAT score, GPA, recs... Have heard from Dartmouth, U of Utah, various other schools but no love from CO :(

Reactions: 2 users
Have any reapplicants heard about a II? I am an IS reapplicant with a reasonably high MCAT score, GPA, recs... Have heard from Dartmouth, U of Utah, various other schools but no love from CO :(

+1

+1. They seem to be trying to attract a lot of OOS candidates...? Personally if I were OOS and had other options I wouldn't choose CU because of its insanely high tuition. Cost of living here is surprisingly expensive and there's no end in sight to price increases. Also the location of the school stinks and there's tons of traffic. It definitely does not have the vibe of Denver. That said, it's not super far from Denver. The mountains are great of course but not exactly close.