2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
10/7 and still waiting here as well. However, one person on this thread has heard back during the last acceptance wave. I find it weird that not more than one person from 10/7 has heard back..

10/7 and accepted during that first wave, and I know someone else who interviewed 10/7 and got accepted already... so that's two?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you interviewed 10/7 should you assume wait list or rejection at this point?

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the Class of 2021?

Yeah, its called "University of Colorado School of Medicine Class of 2021".

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted on 11/10/16, glad to get some in state love! Looking forward to seeing some of you in the facebook group :p

Reactions: 2 users
So if you interviewed 10/7 should you assume wait list or rejection at this point?
I wouldn't assume anything at this stage. When I interviewed last year, I did not hear anything until March but was never put on a wait list or anything. They are trying to be more transparent this year and working towards giving you guys information about where you stand earlier than they've done in the past, but this is all very new for CU so it'll take some time for them to figure out the new system.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, its called "University of Colorado School of Medicine Class of 2021".

I tried looking for it, and for some reason can't find it. Would you mind posting the link? Thank you!

Edit: never mind, found it!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a new week friends!!! I'm hopeful that another wave of acceptances will come before Thanksgiving!! Positive vibes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Did they? Missed references to it while going over last year's thread. I'll go back and see if I can find any references to where it was at to compare to this year during a lull at work this week

Let us know! Looks like they're at 332 now. My other post had it at about 300.

I know this has already been tossed around a bit but do you think that for those who interviewed on 10/21 and did not get a call on 11/10 like others that means rejection or waitlist? They told us they would have a decision in about 6 weeks but assuming three people from SDN got accepted and others not on SDN did, kinda seems like they might have accepted all they are going to from the 10/21 interviews. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I know this has already been tossed around a bit but do you think that for those who interviewed on 10/21 and did not get a call on 11/10 like others that means rejection or waitlist? They told us they would have a decision in about 6 weeks but assuming three people from SDN got accepted and others not on SDN did, kinda seems like they might have accepted all they are going to from the 10/21 interviews. Thoughts?
Honestly no one knows. However, from last years thread it seems that those who interviewed and were not accepted within a month were notified in march about their status. I believe that at the end of the interview season they will go back to applicants who did not make the initial cut and fill out any remaining seats plus establish the waitlist. I know it is frustrating. You are not alone as I am sure you know that many October 7th interviewers are in the same boat at you. I too am in that boat, I interviewed on the 9th of September and have not heard a thing yet. March is just around the corner, all anyone of us can do is be patient and hope for the best. Good luck to you and to everyone still patiently waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I would add to the conversation above. At my interview we were told that this year CU may start adding to the Alternate List as early as end of December.

I thought I would add to the conversation above. At my interview we were told that this year CU may start adding to the Alternate List as early as end of December.
Alternate list=Waitlist?

Did anyone have the foresight to ask what day/days they release admissions decisions? Looks like mostly Thursday from past posts.

I don't know about decision release days, but I believe the admissions committee meets every other Friday.

Does anybody have any insight on how many more interviews Colorado is going to give out? The tracker on their website hasn't been updated for a month and is stuck at ~330

Has anyone received a rejection or do they just send out one big batch of rejections at the end of the cycle? Any luck with doing anything possible to increase chances for interviews? Letter of intent?

II from a few weeks ago. I'm very excited to check it out! OOS. M

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd chime in here. I didn't get an interview with CU (IS) until February last year. Interviewed with ~70 others, so they can be super late in offering them out. Surprisingly, MANY of my classmates came from that interview session. I love the school, love Colorado, and seriously love my life right now (and I'm currently procrastinating studying for my final). Don't worry too much if you don't hear anything from them for a while. Also, they seem to value life experiences more than stats, though the averages (MCAT, GPA) usually come out to be decent.

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone that interviewed the 4th heard anything?

Interviewed the 4th as well and still waiting...

Anyone from 10/21 waiting to hear still? Should we assume rejection or could it be wait list too?

Hello All, I am about to interview here soon as an out-of-state interviewee and I am very excited about this institution! For prospective students who have interviewed here or current medical students at CUSOM, could you please let me know how the interview day is and whether or not it is open or closed file. Also for current medical students, what drew you here vs other schools you interviewed at or got accepted to? This will be my first time visiting Denver as well so anything helpful to checkout or food spots to hit will be much appreciated

Hello All, I am about to interview here soon as an out-of-state interviewee and I am very excited about this institution! For prospective students who have interviewed here or current medical students at CUSOM, could you please let me know how the interview day is and whether or not it is open or closed file. Also for current medical students, what drew you here vs other schools you interviewed at or got accepted to? This will be my first time visiting Denver as well so anything helpful to checkout or food spots to hit will be much appreciated

I interviewed back in October and was accepted! This was by far one of the most enjoyable interview days. The staff does such a great job of making you feel comfortable. The interview is open file for the most part, the interviewers have everything except your MCAT/GPA. Good luck!!

I interviewed back in October and was accepted! This was by far one of the most enjoyable interview days. The staff does such a great job of making you feel comfortable. The interview is open file for the most part, the interviewers have everything except your MCAT/GPA. Good luck!!

Awesome - thanks for the feedback

I interviewed at 6 schools. I was waitlisted at 5 when I was accepted to CU, and withdrew all other applications at that point. As a Colorado native, a big plus for me was the active lifestyle here. The mountains have been getting pounded with snow the last few weeks, which makes for great stress relief on weekends. FWIW, med school is hard, but adjusting to med school is harder. Once you're in the groove, it's completely manageable. I also found the students here to be the happiest of all the places I interviewed at (they were literally doing handstands and cartwheels on the lawn for my interview day). I guess it was the combination of the outdoor lifestyle, happy students, availability of research, clinical exposure, and cost of attendance (IS) that made the decision for me. Some schools trumped CU in certain areas (i.e. Duke for research, and for making you feel like you are at Hogwarts, which was sweet) but the combination of everything made it a perfect fit. I am about to start our "clinical interludes" which are like mini rotations for 1st years. Options include Urology, Neurosurgery, Ortho, Transplant, Vascular, FM, Pediatric Onc, IR, and FM (among others).

I'm a huge food fan. Check out Linger. If you have some extra money or if your parents are joining you, any restaurant by Troy Guard is just dangerously tasty. Feel free to PM me if you get in and need some recommendations, I could write a book on the food/beer here.

I interviewed at 6 schools. I was waitlisted at 5 when I was accepted to CU, and withdrew all other applications at that point. As a Colorado native, a big plus for me was the active lifestyle here. The mountains have been getting pounded with snow the last few weeks, which makes for great stress relief on weekends. FWIW, med school is hard, but adjusting to med school is harder. Once you're in the groove, it's completely manageable. I also found the students here to be the happiest of all the places I interviewed at (they were literally doing handstands and cartwheels on the lawn for my interview day). I guess it was the combination of the outdoor lifestyle, happy students, availability of research, clinical exposure, and cost of attendance (IS) that made the decision for me. Some schools trumped CU in certain areas (i.e. Duke for research, and for making you feel like you are at Hogwarts, which was sweet) but the combination of everything made it a perfect fit. I am about to start our "clinical interludes" which are like mini rotations for 1st years. Options include Urology, Neurosurgery, Ortho, Transplant, Vascular, FM, Pediatric Onc, IR, and FM (among others).

I'm a huge food fan. Check out Linger. If you have some extra money or if your parents are joining you, any restaurant by Troy Guard is just dangerously tasty. Feel free to PM me if you get in and need some recommendations, I could write a book on the food/beer here.
Such a thoughtful and detailed response - thank you! I know what to expect and I will check out those places for sure ☺️

Was just rejected pre-II. Had my heart set on this school but I guess it wasn't meant to happen