2016-2017 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Idk, when I interviewed 2 weeks ago, they said they would have first batch of acceptance decisions within 10 days (last Tuesday, 10/4). Not sure if that meant they would give them out or wait until 10/15 when they are actually suppose to release decisions....I am anxious for that first CA acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Idk, when I interviewed 2 weeks ago, they said they would have first batch of acceptance decisions within 10 days (last Tuesday, 10/4). Not sure if that meant they would give them out or wait until 10/15 when they are actually suppose to release decisions....I am anxious for that first CA acceptance

Acceptances went out a couple of weeks ago for the first interview group. I know one person who was accepted already.

Acceptances went out a couple of weeks ago for the first interview group. I know one person who was accepted already.

So they are sticking to the 2 week turn around regardless of the October 15th guideline then?

Members don't see this ad :)
So they are sticking to the 2 week turn around regardless of the October 15th guideline then?

Yah, idk. I was in second interview group...they definitely did not send out acceptances WEEKS ago. It would only be last week when they sent out their first batch of acceptances if they did not follow oct 15th. guess wrapped up around this a little cuz would make me feel better lol.

Yah, idk. I was in second interview group...they definitely did not send out acceptances WEEKS ago. It would only be last week when they sent out their first batch of acceptances if they did not follow oct 15th. guess wrapped up around this a little cuz would make me feel better lol.

They sent out the acceptances for the first interview group about 2-3 weeks ago. If they remained on schedule, then the second interview group acceptees would have heard back last week. Of course, I'm not sure about the second interview group decisions.. they may be delayed. So be on the lookout this week and next week.

Do they do silent rejections pre-secondary? I was verified early june and my first MCAT score wasn't released until Aug.9th but I haven't heard anything at all from riverside, not even a confirmation they received my primary and MCAT. When I called to confirm they had received my app and score they said they did but that was at the end of August. I'm technically OOS bordering CA but I was born and raised in the IE; anyone have any advice/input?

Do they do silent rejections pre-secondary? I was verified early june and my first MCAT score wasn't released until Aug.9th but I haven't heard anything at all from riverside, not even a confirmation they received my primary and MCAT. When I called to confirm they had received my app and score they said they did but that was at the end of August. I'm technically OOS bordering CA but I was born and raised in the IE; anyone have any advice/input?

Just received a rejection today, so not sure they do silent rejections...maybe it's a good sign?

UCR is the only UC school I applied to...Is this typical of the UC system?
I'm getting the feeling they may be slow this cycle. I applied to UCR, UCD, and UCI and have been complete for each since late August/Early Sept and haven't heard a peep from any since then.

I'm getting the feeling they may be slow this cycle. I applied to UCR, UCD, and UCI and have been complete for each since late August/Early Sept and haven't heard a peep from any since then.

I applied to all the UCs last cycle, and I remember that UCR was one of the slower/slowest schools to get back to me for a secondary and II.

To all of you applying this cycle: Hang in there. I remember how tough it was. So long as you haven't received a rejection letter, you're still in the running - it's not over until it's over.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to all the UCs last cycle, and I remember that UCR was one of the slower/slowest schools to get back to me for a secondary and II.

To all of you applying this cycle: Hang in there. I remember how tough it was. So long as you haven't received a rejection letter, you're still in the running - it's not over until it's over.

Thanks for checking in on us!! Do you know how the waitlist works here? I interviewed earlier but haven't heard back within the 2-week period like they said so I'm thinking I'm on the waitlist now. :/

Thanks for checking in on us!! Do you know how the waitlist works here? I interviewed earlier but haven't heard back within the 2-week period like they said so I'm thinking I'm on the waitlist now. :/

I don't know, sorry. The only waitlists I'm (painfully) familiar with are UCSD and UCLA. It's hard to keep track of everything because every school is so different and it changes from year to year. Your safest bet is always to contact the school directly and ask them how they're doing things this year.

I don't know, sorry. The only waitlists I'm (painfully) familiar with are UCSD and UCLA. It's hard to keep track of everything because every school is so different and it changes from year to year. Your safest bet is always to contact the school directly and ask them how they're doing things this year.
That helps. Thank you!

Best of luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Just remember that if UCR gave you an interview invite, they really are taken with you and truly want you at the school already. Be confident, be yourself, and take a deep breath - you've got this!

quick question- does anyone know how many secondaries they send out in general? I couldn't find it outside of the "700 secondaries for the inaugural class" figure. is it still around 700? i would guess it was higher

quick question- does anyone know how many secondaries they send out in general? I couldn't find it outside of the "700 secondaries for the inaugural class" figure. is it still around 700? i would guess it was higher
I feel like that number seems small. I would think that they have increased the number of secondaries they send as well as number of applicants they interview since the inaugural class.

I know that I have asked this question earlier too but for those of you who already interviewed, were there any interviewees who attended UCR (aka were there any haider applicants during your interview session)? I want to contact the admissions office regarding my status but I am just curious whether other UCR student/alumni applicant has been offered an interview or whether the process has been slower for all of us.

I know that I have asked this question earlier too but for those of you who already interviewed, were there any interviewees who attended UCR (aka were there any haider applicants during your interview session)? I want to contact the admissions office regarding my status but I am just curious whether other UCR student/alumni applicant has been offered an interview or whether the process has been slower for all of us.
I would like to know this as well, it's taking every bit of self control I have to not call admissions and try to be patient, but it's making me crazy not knowing what the deal is right now.

I called the admission committee a while ago. They receive north of 5,000 applicants and about 50% get secondaries. I think they told me about 10% of that 50% get II

I'm positive that 50% of about 5500 get secondaries. I think I might be wrong about the 10%. That seems a bit small.

Is anyone else having trouble paying the secondary fee?

I would like to know this as well, it's taking every bit of self control I have to not call admissions and try to be patient, but it's making me crazy not knowing what the deal is right now.
According to my friend who is a current MS1, UCR interviews UCR applicants later on in the game, generally after non-UCR folks.

Does the school accepts updates?

Just got a weird email saying that there was some serve error that is being corrected, and that I will be able to complete my application soon.

Anyone know what this is about?

Just got a weird email saying that there was some serve error that is being corrected, and that I will be able to complete my application soon.

Anyone know what this is about?

Yeah, something went down on the main campus today that affected the SOM. Looking at my emails today, the outage for us was very brief, lasting only about ten minutes in the early afternoon before things were up and running again. I'm assuming this is what the email you received was referencing.

I still haven't received a secondary here. I went to UCR and I was verified in June! Anyone on the same or similar boat?

Last edited:
Did anyone find anything out about update letters?

man i interviewed 9/24.... i want to get into this school so badly.

do letters of intent work and when should I send it?

has anyone heard back for an II since submitting their secondary around the end of august?

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone heard back for an II since submitting their secondary around the end of august?
I submitted around that time and haven't heard back. The silence is tough, but no news can't be bad news yet.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat. I submitted the secondary 8/24 but have yet to hear back from them.

Long time lurker. Got accepted on Thursday after interviewing on 10/29. I'm still in shock.

Reactions: 6 users
Really odd, I received a secondary yesterday, but is it too late for me to even have a shot here? :\

Really odd, I received a secondary yesterday, but is it too late for me to even have a shot here? :\
I just received mine today, too. I'm going to submit it because it's better than a rejection, but should I keep my hopes up?

I just received mine today, too. I'm going to submit it because it's better than a rejection, but should I keep my hopes up?

Why would they send you secondary if you guys had no chance!

one of my friends (who is currently a student at UCRSOM) didn't receive the secondary until mid january! you definitely have a chance!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, MS2 here at UCR.

If you have any questions about UCR, my experience, etc. please feel free to reach out!

Best of luck to all of you!

Anybody heard anything since submitting secondary in September? (In state students, but not part of the UCR undergrad program)

Reactions: 2 users
I still haven't received a secondary here. I went to UCR and I was verified in June! Anyone on the same or similar boat?
I am an in state applicant, verified in early September an hadn't heard anything either. I called the admissions department today. They were super friendly and helpful, but unfortunately, she delivered a "your application review is complete, and the committee didn't move forward with your application." She said that I should have received something by now, and wasn't sure why I hadn't been notified. She then sent me the rejection email. Super bummed, but at least now I know. They did say that they are interviewing through March though. So, I don't think it is too late to receive a secondary, and I hope you do. Best of luck!

I am an in state applicant, verified in early September an hadn't heard anything either. I called the admissions department today. They were super friendly and helpful, but unfortunately, she delivered a "your application review is complete, and the committee didn't move forward with your application." She said that I should have received something by now, and wasn't sure why I hadn't been notified. She then sent me the rejection email. Super bummed, but at least now I know. They did say that they are interviewing through March though. So, I don't think it is too late to receive a secondary, and I hope you do. Best of luck!
so weird!! was this post-secondary or pre-secondary?

So sorry about that! Do you think she meant that those of us complete in September should have heard by now as well?