2016-2017 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a lock icon and notes saying "Not scheduled yet." for the Interview row? Or am I just reading too much into it ...

Does anyone else have a lock icon and notes saying "Not scheduled yet." for the Interview row? Or am I just reading too much into it ...

Yeah I've had that since I was completed. The "yet" conveys hope, but it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS1 here.

Feel free to ask me any non-neurotic, not hyper-specific questions about the application process, or my experience at the school so far. Keep in mind that we have only just completed our first week of instruction, so I can only accurately answer questions about certain aspects of the school at this point.

PM me if you feel your questions are too personal to share publically on the forum.

I am visiting a couple medical schools in southern california next week (Mon-Wed), is there any medical student who is willing to give me like a tour of the campus and answer some of my questions? I realized just today that med school admissions are nothing like undergrad admissions where you can schedule group tours anytime you like. So I am requesting if anyone is willing to show me around for part of the day (30 min or so). I can pay you for your time!

Also advice: is visiting med schools before you've received a secondary or interview a good idea at all? I wanted to use my experience to craft my secondary if I get one...but would it be a waste of time?

PM me

For any current med student @ riverside who is not from inland empire, what do you believe made you stick out?

Being on a tight budget, I've been struggling with this secondary and also discouraged because 25/50 matriculants are from UCR . Would appreciate any input!

UCR is mission-based. If you've read the mission statement and feel that the mission of the school strikes a similar chord in your own heart, then I'd say you have the ability to stand out among applicants. Be sincere in communicating who you are and what drives you, and provide some tangible examples of why you'd be a good fit.

The fact that so many of the students in my class are from UCR or have ties to the IE is congruent with the school's mission of training physicians to serve the underserved in the community.

Reactions: 2 users
"Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)" does this include research activities such as accepted abstracts and publications?

"Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)" does this include research activities such as accepted abstracts and publications?

I numbered mine personally, and nested my presentations/publications under the lab.

Does anyone know if I just shot myself in the foot by not answering the disadvantages I want adcom to pay attention to, and additional essay in regards to my PS? I had nothing I could think of that was worth adding!

Reactions: 1 user
I numbered mine personally, and nested my presentations/publications under the lab.

Does anyone know if I just shot myself in the foot by not answering the disadvantages I want adcom to pay attention to, and additional essay in regards to my PS? I had nothing I could think of that was worth adding!

I have a publication under review (awaiting editor recommendation) do you think that's okay to add?

For the "Extracurricular Interests and Activities" section,
Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth.

did you guys just rewrite all the AMCAS activities from the primary app? Or give a more shortened/concise version

Verified on 7/28 and still have heard nothing from UCR no welcome email either... anyone on the same boat?

For the "Extracurricular Interests and Activities" section,
Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth.

did you guys just rewrite all the AMCAS activities from the primary app? Or give a more shortened/concise version
i just listed names tbh. the little tiny text box didn't seem to warrant copy and pasting everything

Members don't see this ad :)
Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)

do you guys think it's okay to list a manuscript under review under this question?

Secondary received!
Verified 16/8, LizzyM 70-71, IS but not inland empire
Really minimal experience with the underserved, my app is research heavy so quite surprised I got a secondary

has anyone here gotten secondaries from other UCs? My LizzyM is around 64 with lots of community service and research and I only heard from Riverside so far

UCR was the first school I added, I was verified around 8/9 and then added UCI, UCD, UCSF, UCSD later that week

has anyone here gotten secondaries from other UCs? My LizzyM is around 64 with lots of community service and research and I only heard from Riverside so far

UCR was the first school I added, I was verified around 8/9 and then added UCI, UCD, UCSF, UCSD later that week

All UCs have already been sending out their secondaries for a while now... You'll probably hear something soon enough since it's barely been 10 days since you were verified.

I haven't received anything from UCR and I'm an alumni, hope to hear something soon!

I was verified a few days after you so the UCs probably got our apps around the same time - I've heard back from UCI and UCR, and UCD has acknowledged receipt of my application, but the other schools haven't contacted me at all yet (UCLA, UCSD, UCSF)

AMCAS Verified 7/26
UCR Secondary Invite 8/3 (in state, non-UCR alum, IE resident)
Submitted Secondary 8/17
Application Complete email 8/18

So I'm still having trouble figuring out what to put on the scholastic activities section. I'm still not sure what counts as this (research?) If I legitimately do not have any, it's alright for me to simply write "Do not have any activities"?

So I'm still having trouble figuring out what to put on the scholastic activities section. I'm still not sure what counts as this (research?) If I legitimately do not have any, it's alright for me to simply write "Do not have any activities"?

From the last person who put down this question, the questions asks "Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)"
do you have any honors and awards? also, if you have like a senior practicum or something I think that would count too.

From the last person who put down this question, the questions asks "Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)"
do you have any honors and awards? also, if you have like a senior practicum or something I think that would count too.
I don't have any honors or awards. When I called them they said research counts but I have no publications so far. I assist in cardiac biomarker research, however its purely volunteer.
I'm thinking of leaving it blank at this point, or is there anything I should put down?

I don't have any honors or awards. When I called them they said research counts but I have no publications so far. I assist in cardiac biomarker research, however its purely volunteer.
I'm thinking of leaving it blank at this point, or is there anything I should put down?

I don't think publications are necessary for the section. I wrote down my research participation as well and did not have any publications to add

I was verified a few days after you so the UCs probably got our apps around the same time - I've heard back from UCI and UCR, and UCD has acknowledged receipt of my application, but the other schools haven't contacted me at all yet (UCLA, UCSD, UCSF)

i received an acknowledgment receipt from UCLA and UCD
my stats arent stellar but i hope that since i passed the UCR screen there's a chance for the other UCs

anyone know when they start sending out IIs?
i sent in my secondary on 8/20 and i hope to hear back something within the next month or so

Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school?

Does this question apply for those of us taking a gap year?

received II today.

Last edited:
a quick question.
I lived in Fontana a couple years back before I went to Berkeley. Now that I come back to LA and live at my parents' house (not in Inland Empire area).
I know that UCR has preferences on IE residents. How can I prove to them I was living in Fontana? How do they verify?
P.S.: Back then my parents were paying for bills since I was still a teenager.

Is there heavy screening? Or do they really care about MCAT and ECs??
The screening for UCR is a 503 MCAT and a 3.2 sGPA to get the secondary here, I think you also have to be a CA resident and have some ties to the Inland Empire

Last edited:
I got a secondary without any ties to the inland empire (I am IS though)

Reactions: 1 users
The screening for UCR is a 503 MCAT and a 3.2 sGPA to get the secondary here, I think you also have to be a CA resident and have some ties to the Inland Empire
Not sure on the ties part being accurate. Plenty among all the classes (including myself) did not have a single tie.

Reactions: 1 users
a quick question.
I lived in Fontana a couple years back before I went to Berkeley. Now that I come back to LA and live at my parents' house (not in Inland Empire area).
I know that UCR has preferences on IE residents. How can I prove to them I was living in Fontana? How do they verify?
P.S.: Back then my parents were paying for bills since I was still a teenager.
Maybe mention it in your secondary will help them know.

II yesterday!! So excited for this one!! no ties to IE but I think they see that I can still fit their mission.

do you know if those number apply for the other UCs as well?

I was complete on 7/14 and still haven't heard back. IS, but not IE.

I'm not sure if having ties to IE is part of the reason why I got a secondary with a 502 MCAT. Is there a source for this secondary screen?

I'm not sure if having ties to IE is part of the reason why I got a secondary with a 502 MCAT. Is there a source for this secondary screen?

It may be. But more importantly, work on your secondary to show that having ties is not the only thing you got to fulfill their mission

It may be. But more importantly, work on your secondary to show that having ties is not the only thing you got to fulfill their mission

Yes, of course :) I just wanted to say (from personal experience this cycle) that 503 MCAT is not a hard cutoff to receive a secondary from UCR.

Admissions! For the gpa and mcat they stated those were their minimums but they take other factors into consideration as well, I don't think they are hard cutoffs