2016-2017 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long after submitting a secondary does Tech normally send out a II? I sent my secondary about 3 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad.

i sent mind 2 months ago and havent heard a thing. so i dont think there is a set time

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II for OOS, non-URM applicant. Submitted primary 7/3 and secondary 7/24

Just out of curiosity... anyone that received a II did not state anything about wanting to do primary care in rural areas or either one alone?

how long did it take for y'all to receive the secondary app invite after transmitting? I'm still waiting for the secondary

how long did it take for y'all to receive the secondary app invite after transmitting? I'm still waiting for the secondary

I don't even think they pre-screened. I transmitted on a Friday and got secondary app Monday.

I don't even think they pre-screened. I transmitted on a Friday and got secondary app Monday.
That's what I thought going to try calling them again... all I've gotten is a busy signal :(

That's what I thought going to try calling them again... all I've gotten is a busy signal :(

Yeah, keep trying and report back here. Maybe even trying an email a few people while you're waiting.

I dialed the wrong number lol ... Talked to a lady who pulled up my app and said it was still being processed? Not sure if that means my stats are too low and no secondary or I'm just being neurotic

It may just be me, but August has been incredibly slow for all TX med schools activity.

Reactions: 3 users
It may just be me, but August has been incredibly slow for all TX med schools activity.
Noticed that as well. Maybe since classes started for them and they had orientation and all that good stuff they're moving a little slowly. It may come in a giant wave.

Reactions: 2 users
Type Date Description Action
comm.E.png
8/1/2016 8:21:10 AM Application Complete
comm.E.png
8/1/2016 8:21:09 AM Secondary Application Received
comm.E.png
7/31/2016 6:35:13 PM Secondary Application Invite

Members don't see this ad :)
Noticed that as well. Maybe since classes started for them and they had orientation and all that good stuff they're moving a little slowly. It may come in a giant wave.

Hopefully. Tbh I'm not expecting another II from Texas till end of September/October (if I even get another :p), since I believe they are all running behind. I was complete at UT Houston Early July, yet just got my confirmation email this week lol

I'm beginning to think the Techs don't like me haha. It's been very slow on both here and TTEP.

I didn't even know they were offering acceptances now?
Texas Tech has an ED (early decision) option. If you apply to it, you commit to attending if accepted, and you are not allowed to apply to any other schools unless you hear from Tech that you are not accepted. They will give an answer by September 15th. Details here:

"Applicants interested exclusively in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine may apply under the AAMC Early Decision Option from May 1 through August 1 of the application cycle.

• Applications including all secondary applications and the MCAT must be submitted to TMDSAS on or before August 1.
  • Payment, transcripts and letters of evaluation must be submitted by August 1.
Invitations for interview and any offers of acceptance will be made on or before September 15. Early Decision applicants may not apply to other medical schools while being considered by TTUHSC SOM. An applicant who is offered admission and accepts the offer may not apply to another medical school unless the seat at TTUHSC SOM is relinquished. If an applicant is not accepted by Texas Tech, he or she may then apply to other schools early enough so that the results will be available to the school prior to August 1. Early Decision applicants to TTUHSC SOM must have received a score of 30 or greater on the old MCAT and must be Texas residents. Applicants with an MCAT2015 score will be given preference based on the competitiveness of their score."

Texas Tech has an ED (early decision) option. If you apply to it, you commit to attending if accepted, and you are not allowed to apply to any other schools unless you hear from Tech that you are not accepted. They will give an answer by September 15th. Details here:

"Applicants interested exclusively in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine may apply under the AAMC Early Decision Option from May 1 through August 1 of the application cycle.

• Applications including all secondary applications and the MCAT must be submitted to TMDSAS on or before August 1.
  • Payment, transcripts and letters of evaluation must be submitted by August 1.
Invitations for interview and any offers of acceptance will be made on or before September 15. Early Decision applicants may not apply to other medical schools while being considered by TTUHSC SOM. An applicant who is offered admission and accepts the offer may not apply to another medical school unless the seat at TTUHSC SOM is relinquished. If an applicant is not accepted by Texas Tech, he or she may then apply to other schools early enough so that the results will be available to the school prior to August 1. Early Decision applicants to TTUHSC SOM must have received a score of 30 or greater on the old MCAT and must be Texas residents. Applicants with an MCAT2015 score will be given preference based on the competitiveness of their score."

Oh gotcha! That's taking a big risk though, if you can't apply to the other Texas schools!
Congrats @Cellfie !!!!

Alright y'all. This is one of my first posts ever on this site (professional lurker), but I need someones opinion on my stats and how I stack up. GPA-3.93, MCAT-498 (horrible, I know-- lets not talk about it), mathematics and athletic tutor for texas tech, social psychology research assistant for year and a half, shadowing, volunteer work, etc. I have West Texas ties and I am interested in practicing in rural or underserved areas (eventually). What do y'all think? is my MCAT going to ruin me? Don't tell me to apply to DO, because I'm not going to. Just wondering what some of y'all think my chances are for Tech! Wreck em y'all :)

Alright y'all. This is one of my first posts ever on this site (professional lurker), but I need someones opinion on my stats and how I stack up. GPA-3.93, MCAT-498 (horrible, I know-- lets not talk about it), mathematics and athletic tutor for texas tech, social psychology research assistant for year and a half, shadowing, volunteer work, etc. I have West Texas ties and I am interested in practicing in rural or underserved areas (eventually). What do y'all think? is my MCAT going to ruin me? Don't tell me to apply to DO, because I'm not going to. Just wondering what some of y'all think my chances are for Tech! Wreck em y'all :)
you're likely to get automatically screened out due to your mcat score. is retaking it an option? if so, that's something i would very very highly consider. the rest of your app seems fine.

you're likely to get automatically screened out due to your mcat score. is retaking it an option? if so, that's something i would very very highly consider. the rest of your app seems fine.

If he/she retook wouldn't he have to apply for next cycle? And I agree OP, that MCAT, even with your amazing GPA, is not good.

I mean yeah your app is good. But you know the one flaw. And 500 is often the screen for a lot of MD schools. If you are a URM, then you may have a solid shot. Otherwise, I would say go for the retake and apply next cycle. You would be a bit late for this cycle if you retake. There is nothing wrong in going only MD route. I respect that, but understand that there is nothing wrong with retaking the MCAT and waiting one more year. It could really pay off. If you haven't already applied, your chances may be slim anyways. Applying this year would make you a reapplicant next year (not a bad thing, but I have heard that being a first-timer is a little better). I really wish you good luck though. You have a great app, but I would post on WAMC and ask a few adcom. They will give you similar advice I feel like!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to say it, apply DO or retake and reapply. I did horrible on my MCAT the first time I took it, decided to devote more time to study for the new one, and held off applying for a year. Best decision I made because I knew I would only have a chance at interviewing if I had improved my score quite a bit (I have four Texas interviews)

Reactions: 3 users
Retaking isn't an option at this point. Tech doesn't automatically screen out due to MCAT scores based on my previous knowledge, but I'm just hoping that the rest of my application drowns out the MCAT score

I mean yeah your app is good. But you know the one flaw. And 500 is often the screen for a lot of MD schools. If you are a URM, then you may have a solid shot. Otherwise, I would say go for the retake and apply next cycle. You would be a bit late for this cycle if you retake. There is nothing wrong in going only MD route. I respect that, but understand that there is nothing wrong with retaking the MCAT and waiting one more year. It could really pay off. If you haven't already applied, your chances may be slim anyways. Applying this year would make you a reapplicant next year (not a bad thing, but I have heard that being a first-timer is a little better). I really wish you good luck though. You have a great app, but I would post on WAMC and ask a few adcom. They will give you similar advice I feel like!
Thanks for your advice! I agree, but I've actually already applied (sent in my secondary a few days ago). I'm not a URM, but I'm hoping that being from Tech and having West Texas ties helps in that aspect. They hold that in high regard. If I can get an interview, I have a chance, but there's always the looming possibility I won't. Who knows. I've heard of people getting into Tech with under 500, but they're the exception, not the rule. Hopefully I'll be one of those exceptions

I'm going to say it, apply DO or retake and reapply. I did horrible on my MCAT the first time I took it, decided to devote more time to study for the new one, and held off applying for a year. Best decision I made because I knew I would only have a chance at interviewing if I had improved my score quite a bit (I have four Texas interviews)
I totally would apply DO if I had a letter of rec from an MD or DO, but my LOR from an outside source is actually from a podiatric surgeon. Unconventional, I know. I would love to be able to apply to DO, but MD is where my heart is and hopefully I get the chance to go that route this app cycle.

Thanks for your advice! I agree, but I've actually already applied (sent in my secondary a few days ago). I'm not a URM, but I'm hoping that being from Tech and having West Texas ties helps in that aspect. They hold that in high regard. If I can get an interview, I have a chance, but there's always the looming possibility I won't. Who knows. I've heard of people getting into Tech with under 500, but they're the exception, not the rule. Hopefully I'll be one of those exceptions

Realistically, even if your ancestors founded West Texas, that MCAT will not look good to Tech. People that get into Tech with under 500 are normally URMs or have some amazing experience, such as army combat vets. Statistically, if someone scores sub 25 (500) on the MCAT, they have a higher chance of not passing their boards, and schools don't want to risk that. It's also the main school in TX that will forgive a lower gpa for a higher MCAT, but not the other way around (more TX med schools are big on higher gpa/lower mcat).
Retake would be my opinion; even some DO schools would say that was too low.

Realistically, even if your ancestors founded West Texas, that MCAT will not look good to Tech. People that get into Tech with under 500 are normally URMs or have some amazing experience, such as army combat vets. Statistically, if someone scores sub 25 (500) on the MCAT, they have a higher chance of not passing their boards, and schools don't want to risk that. It's also the main school in TX that will forgive a lower gpa for a higher MCAT, but not the other way around (more TX med schools are big on higher gpa/lower mcat).
Retake would be my opinion; even some DO schools would say that was too low.
I prefer to think that schools would look past the MCAT score and evaluate the applicant as a whole, especially if the applicant has certain things on an application that points to them being a good physician. Everyone on this website puts so much emphasis on the MCAT score, when in reality, it tests such a small scale of information compared to what we know (or should know). That's what happened to me. I was tested on some material that I wasn't perfect at and it lowered my score. So I still have high hopes that I'll get a few interviews based on my other attributes and the essays that I wrote, but we'll see.

I prefer to think that schools would look past the MCAT score and evaluate the applicant as a whole, especially if the applicant has certain things on an application that points to them being a good physician. Everyone on this website puts so much emphasis on the MCAT score, when in reality, it tests such a small scale of information compared to what we know (or should know). That's what happened to me. I was tested on some material that I wasn't perfect at and it lowered my score. So I still have high hopes that I'll get a few interviews based on my other attributes and the essays that I wrote, but we'll see.

What you said would be fine if it were like a 504/505 MCAT, but a sub-500 score is bad even if you're factoring in points from URM status and financial need/hardships. As someone who made a mid 20's MCAT, didn't apply, retook the MCAT, and scored >85th percentile with 4 Texas IIs now, trust me, you need a certain MCAT to break a threshold. There are >4,000 applicants that apply through TMDSAS annually. I'm sure they all have good attributes too. Take the MCAT again and try to break 505 at least. I agree that this sub inflates MCAT weight, but there is a minimum threshold you need to pass. I understand you may believe you have redeeming qualities, and trust me, I don't doubt them. There is definitely an academic component though that needs to be satisfied. The MCAT isn't about testing information that you should know. If you notice the passages and how none of the Kaplan books/Princeton Review books can prepare you for the random gene on the biology section or the fictitious compound in the chemistry passages, it's about how well can you integrate info on demand in crunch time. That is a very important quality for a physician.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Agree with you 100% on the sentiment of your post, but it doesn't change the facts. Just based on statistics alone its an upward battle. I HOPE you get in, but at least have a second plan to fall back on (e.g. take MCAT again and apply next cycle). Have hope, but not blindly.

This website can cause people to think anything below a 4.0/520 is bad. But the advice that you believe is also not accurate. There are some schools that are mission based (HBU) that have a lower MCAT average. But Texas schools aren't mission based to that extent (sure they're active in promoting primary care, but considering UTSW matches the most student in primary care, it doesn't really matter). Why would schools look past the ONE standardized test that puts all applicants on an equal playing field? I go to a college where grades were so deflated that a 3.6 is equal to a 4.0. School vary so much in grading that med school depends on the MCAT heavily.

The Step 1 also tests a small amount of info, but we can't bomb that and expect residency programs to look past that. Unless you are URM, army vet like experiences etc, you have a very low chance of getting II, especially since you just applied. You say you have high hopes, but even TCOM is a reach at this point. Even though Tech may not screen sub 500, they look at that and wonder A) How you did so well in undergrad; did your college inflate your grades? and B) Will this person pass the Boards? . And that score indicates that you will have trouble passing the boards.

Reactions: 2 users
Trust me, that is mostly right. My stats don't blow anyone out of the water and I definitely had to rely on my experiences and essays to get schools to invite me for interviews and strongly consider me for admission. I just got back from an El Paso interview and both commented on my unique background and how important it was to them in order to send me an interview invite. They also commented on my first MCAT score and asked me how I was able to improve the second time. One told me that it is always the final score that counts and was impressed at how I was able to change my study approach to do well on the new test. If my MCAT were any lower, I more than likely wouldn't have been considered for an interview. Trust me, it might be a tough decision and you probably don't want to face the reality of a retake (I know I definitely didn't) but it is definitely for the best at this point, especially if you want to go MD.

I totally would apply DO if I had a letter of rec from an MD or DO, but my LOR from an outside source is actually from a podiatric surgeon. Unconventional, I know. I would love to be able to apply to DO, but MD is where my heart is and hopefully I get the chance to go that route this app cycle.

I just saw this post. I had no rec letter from a DO, MD, etc. and I got an interview invite from TCOM, the osteopathic affiliate with UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth, Texas, a city near Dallas. It's preferred, but not required. Why is MD dear to your heart? I'm curious to hear your response. I have 3 MD IIs in Texas and 1 DO, and I'm thankful for the DO just as much as I was for the MD. The program, city, and faculty are phenomenal at TCOM. They've had students match into Duke, UTSW, Tulane, Case Western, etc. for residency in fields like neurology, psychiatry, surgery, etc. according to previous match data.

The vast, vast majority of osteopathic physicians enjoy wonderful and rewarding practices akin to their allopathic counterparts. An osteopathic physician has the full practicing capabilities of an allopathic physician in the United States. That's right- they prescribe the same drugs, are allowed to do the same operations, etc. provided they are up to date with legal qualifications. They also make the same salary. My roommate shadowed an osteopathic orthopedic surgeon (I didn't get the chance because I was a summer intern out of that city, otherwise would've done it immediately). He enjoys being able to help people recover from injuries, went to Haiti to help out after the earthquake in 2010, and even invited me to his house with my roommate for dinner despite not knowing me during New Year's. His house is huge and he drives a Rolls Royce Phantom, the rare discontinued models. Sounds like a pretty damn rewarding career both personally and emotionally, even though the letters are "DO" on his white coat, his patients and extensive staff still call him "Dr.". If you want to be a doctor, be pragmatic and keep your options both in terms of your numbers like your MCAT and in terms of why you really want to be a doctor- your commitment to your patient's health isn't squandered by the letters "DO".

I just saw this post. I had no rec letter from a DO, MD, etc. and I got an interview invite from TCOM, the osteopathic affiliate with UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth, Texas, a city near Dallas. It's preferred, but not required. Why is MD dear to your heart? I'm curious to hear your response. I have 3 MD IIs in Texas and 1 DO, and I'm thankful for the DO just as much as I was for the MD. The program, city, and faculty are phenomenal at TCOM. They've had students match into Duke, UTSW, Tulane, Case Western, etc. for residency in fields like neurology, psychiatry, surgery, etc. according to previous match data.

The vast, vast majority of osteopathic physicians enjoy wonderful and rewarding practices akin to their allopathic counterparts. An osteopathic physician has the full practicing capabilities of an allopathic physician in the United States. That's right- they prescribe the same drugs, are allowed to do the same operations, etc. provided they are up to date with legal qualifications. They also make the same salary. My roommate shadowed an osteopathic orthopedic surgeon (I didn't get the chance because I was a summer intern out of that city, otherwise would've done it immediately). He enjoys being able to help people recover from injuries, went to Haiti to help out after the earthquake in 2010, and even invited me to his house with my roommate for dinner despite not knowing me during New Year's. His house is huge and he drives a Rolls Royce Phantom, the rare discontinued models. Sounds like a pretty damn rewarding career both personally and emotionally, even though the letters are "DO" on his white coat, his patients and extensive staff still call him "Dr.". If you want to be a doctor, be pragmatic and keep your options both in terms of your numbers like your MCAT and in terms of why you really want to be a doctor- your commitment to your patient's health isn't squandered by the letters "DO".

I am fully aware of everything you just said. It would be an honor to be a DO, and the only reason I can't apply to more DO schools is because of LOEs. I did apply to TCOM, sorry I did not make that clear earlier. Its not that MD is so close to my heart, it's that I don't have a multitude of choices to go into DO medicine because of the stipulations of the application. So unfortunately, the only one I can apply to is TCOM because its recommended, not required.

I am fully aware of everything you just said. It would be an honor to be a DO, and the only reason I can't apply to more DO schools is because of LOEs. I did apply to TCOM, sorry I did not make that clear earlier. Its not that MD is so close to my heart, it's that I don't have a multitude of choices to go into DO medicine because of the stipulations of the application. So unfortunately, the only one I can apply to is TCOM because its recommended, not required.
I applied to 10 DO schools - only 1 of which required a LOE from a DO after granted an acceptance. You're likely able to apply to most DO schools with an MD LOE too.

Yeah you do not NEED a DO LOE. Don't let that hold you back. If you are applying, might as well apply to DO! I thought you had a heart for MD.

Got II Aug 26, Lizzy M 64.5. Completed June. Not URM. Just came back from my II :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed here about two weeks ago. This morning I got an email saying that I have been invited to complete a secondary application (the same one that I was sent after originally submitting TMDSAS). I assume that it's just a glitch in the system, but I'm still going to contact admissions. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

II! LizzyM-74-75. Complete Mid-June. The hype is real, seems like we're starting to see some movement across a lot of the different Texas threads now.

Last edited:
First II! Only open interview spot I see is 3 days from now, same day as my first biochem exam...