2016-2017 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category.

F-MAT (Family Medicine Acc. Track)
Practicing in an underserved area
Interested in rural health
Medical Research
Medical Academics
Primary Care
Border Health
Public Health
Other

2. List your activities (completed, current or planned) related to the selections made in question #1.
3. Have you experienced any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)? (Y/N)
4. If so, please explain your circumstance:
5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)?
6. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (Where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)
7. (Optional) If you are applying to the MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, JD/MD or FMAT program(s), please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)
8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less).
9. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?
10. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school, to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?
11. Are you applying to FMAT?
a. Marital Status
b. Town and State(s) you lived in from birth to age 18
c. Are you a current student of TTUHSC SOM?
d. What motivates you to participate in the FMAT program (300 words)?
e. What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program (300 words)?
f. What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties (300 words)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alright brotato chips. Finishing up second year over here, so I will take any and all questions as they come. You can post 'em here (hopefully with an @Chillbo Baggins tag so I remember to check this thread ;)) or PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the secondary yet?

do you know if tech prescreens?
From what I gathered from past threads they don't pre-screen. My application was submitted on 5/9 and they took that long to send it though.

@inthemaking1 the prompts were:

1. As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category.

Medical Research
Medical Academics
Primary Care
Border Health
Public Health
Other

2. List your activities (completed, current or planned) related to the selections made in question #1.
3. Have you experienced any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)? (Y/N)
5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)?
6. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (Where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)
7. (Optional) If you are applying to the MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, JD/MD or FMAT program(s), please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)
8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less).
10. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school, to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?
a. Marital Status
e. What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program (300 words)?
f. What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties (300 words)?

From what I gathered from past threads they don't pre-screen. My application was submitted on 5/9 and they took that long to send it though.

Medical Research
Medical Academics
Primary Care
Border Health
Public Health
Other

a. Marital Status

Thank you @rhodochrosite very much! @WedgeDawg @Ismet please update the OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "ideal" practice question is so fun to write. I hope I don't come off as too ignorant on how to run a family clinic lol.

The "ideal" practice question is so fun to write. I hope I don't come off as too ignorant on how to run a family clinic lol.

I really enjoyed this question, too! I kind of wondered if my specificity would be too much but I took the risk. Great question to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi guys. I am pre-writing my secondary essays and was wondering how much space/character limit there is for this question.

Thank you so much!

Anyone else planning on using a large part of what they wrote for UTSW's secondary for #6?

Reactions: 1 users
Few questions regarding the secondaries:

Secondary 2: If I state that I'm interested with primary care, but I don't have any activities/experience doing anything in primary care, how should I go about doing this part? I have shadowed some other specialties, but none were primary care.

secondary 3: I made a C+ in my last semester of UG, but made good grades in the rest of my classes...should I explain this? Also, I got a 25 on my first MCAT taken ( zero preparation, stupid I know), but then studied for my retake and did significantly better. Should I explain the 25?

Also, for the first one, does medical academics mean being a teacher in medical school?

Medical Research
Medical Academics
Primary Care
Border Health
Public Health
Other

a. Marital Status

Is there no character limit on the questions that don't mention how many words to use? Like question 2, 3

What is the admission really asking for when they ask about "8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less)."?
Idk if I can just casually talk about my netflix-runner self or have to make ties into medicine/ tie in a significant meaning to the activities (even if it doesn't relate to medicine)

Any thoughts?

What is the admission really asking for when they ask about "8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less)."?
Idk if I can just casually talk about my netflix-runner self or have to make ties into medicine/ tie in a significant meaning to the activities (even if it doesn't relate to medicine)

Any thoughts?

I don't think it's meant to have any ties to medicine-I took it as them just getting a bigger picture of who you are. I wrote about running my marathon lol

Any thoughts?
They just want to see that you're a real person outside of school and volunteering/shadowing. I wrote about my musical interests, what sports I like to play, and an undergrad student org I was heavily involved in.

So I had my primary and MCAT scores in by 5/17 and my LORS in by 5/26.
But my status page is showing they haven't received my LORs or MCAT scores yet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

So I had my primary and MCAT scores in by 5/17 and my LORS in by 5/26.
But my status page is showing they haven't received my LORs or MCAT scores yet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Have you submitted your secondary application yet? Mine didn't show up as received until I submitted the secondary

So it looks like they only need 2 LOR, cause my 3rd one is not in and my application is complete. Also, when does this school start sending out interviews invites?

So it looks like they only need 2 LOR, cause my 3rd one is not in and my application is complete. Also, when does this school start sending out interviews invites?
Seems like August 14th was first II on SDN last year

Any reason to believe the 2 Tech schools can see both secondaries you wrote for the schools? Planning on using the same paragraph in each secondary.

Any reason to believe the 2 Tech schools can see both secondaries you wrote for the schools? Planning on using the same paragraph in each secondary.

oh crap. i didn't even think that they might be able to see what you wrote for the other school. some please please please say that they can't

oh crap. i didn't even think that they might be able to see what you wrote for the other school. some please please please say that they can't

Yea I'm concerned as well lol. Not as worried for the other schools but since they're both Tech schools it just came to mind there's that chance.

I can't imagine they'll take the time to cross check and if they did, I'd have to believe they know premedders rehash essays. You have a set amount of stories you can use, they can't realistically expect you to make something completely new for each school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yea I'm concerned as well lol. Not as worried for the other schools but since they're both Tech schools it just came to mind there's that chance.

I used similar information and both and I don't even see how it'd reflect poorly if they did see each other's essays (seems unlikely anyways). They are still your words/thoughts and there are only so many ways you can rehash things. Bigger concern is not being repetitive from your personal statement or TMDSAS additional essays.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Have you submitted your secondary application yet? Mine didn't show up as received until I submitted the secondary
I submitted my secondary a week and a half ago…This is not very comforting. And I cant get the person who can help me at the school to call me back.o_O

So on the secondary the 3rd question is to talk about any academic road bumps you've hit. What if you haven't had any issues like that? I've never had any problems with grades, is it bad to say that?

Reactions: 1 users
What about difficulty learning how to study for college prioritize? Not so much a road bump, but showing how you adapted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

So on the secondary the 3rd question is to talk about any academic road bumps you've hit. What if you haven't had any issues like that? I've never had any problems with grades, is it bad to say that?
I put N/A.

For this question on the secondary "Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school, to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?", does this include any formal research programs hosted by medical schools?

For this question on the secondary "Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school, to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?", does this include any formal research programs hosted by medical schools?
Yeah, I think so. I answered it that way.

That looks wonderful on the app. Describe your experience, especially the clinical aspect of the research. Good Luck!