2016-2017 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!! I interviewed here 10/14 and got my email at 8:48AM. GPA is 3.7 and MCAT is 510.
HOLY CRAP I'M ACTUALLY GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!
:soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS interviewed on Oct/21. Havent heard anything today. Does this mean I am most likely on the waitlist or rejected?

I interviewed Aug 31 as an OOS and was accepted Oct 15. If you haven't heard at this point you might be waitlisted, but who knows!

Well this sucks, I feel defeated. Thought I had a pretty good interview here. Not looking good :(

Congrats to all the acceptances though!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well this sucks, I feel defeated. Thought I had a pretty good interview here. Not looking good :(

Congrats to all the acceptances though!!
Honestly same. Today was really hard. Seeing some of my friends get prematched and I didn't when I though I had a better application/interview based off of what they said was kinda devastating... I know it's no where near over, but today was hard.

Guys real quick: the portal says this:
"Your matriculation is contingent upon the successful completion of our prerequisite requirements: submission of final transcripts with degree conferred, satisfactory results from a criminal background check and payment of a $100 Placement Guarantee Fee (PGF). To accept this offer, please review and complete the items listed on the left menu of this page. These requirements must be completed by 11/29/2016."

Does that mean that once I accept this offer, I can't back out of it if I get an offer from another place? sorry if it's been asked before

Okay I found my answer:

https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html#PreMatchOffers

Pre-Match Offers
  1. Prior to the match, medical schools may extend offers of acceptance to Texas residents for a period between November 15 and December 31.
    • Applicants may accept offers from more than one medical school during the pre-match offer period without the risk of an offer being withdrawn by a medical school during the pre-match offer period.
    • An applicant who receives more than one offer should decline any offer from a school that he/she definitely does not plan to attend as soon as that decision is made.
  2. Offers of acceptance should only be considered valid if an acceptance letter is received. Verbal offers of acceptance or ranking are not binding to either the applicant or medical schools.
So it seems we can accept as many as we like.

I just didn't want to pay all the money at these places to hold the spot ughhhh

I believe you can accept this offer without it affecting other pre-match offers or Match. It is non-binding.

EDIT: Seems I posted right when you did. Sorry for the redundancy.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I found my answer:

Pre-Match Offers
  1. Prior to the match, medical schools may extend offers of acceptance to Texas residents for a period between November 15 and December 31.
    • Applicants may accept offers from more than one medical school during the pre-match offer period without the risk of an offer being withdrawn by a medical school during the pre-match offer period.
    • An applicant who receives more than one offer should decline any offer from a school that he/she definitely does not plan to attend as soon as that decision is made.
  2. Offers of acceptance should only be considered valid if an acceptance letter is received. Verbal offers of acceptance or ranking are not binding to either the applicant or medical schools.

Yes, you found the right info. Luckily, MD school deposits are on the order of $100 to $300, (or $zero) whereas DO school deposits may be $1500-$3000 ;0

Yes, you found the right info. Luckily, MD school deposits are on the order of $100 to $300, (or $zero) whereas DO school deposits may be $1500-$3000 ;0

Seriously? For a non-binding offer? thats crazy yo

I believe you can accept this offer without it affecting other pre-match offers or Match. It is non-binding.

EDIT: Seems I posted right when you did. Sorry for the redundancy.

Yeah good to know.

Meh I'll suck it up and just pay the money if it means I have a spot to sit somewhere next year! :D

For you all waiting out, don't lose hope guys. I promise you that this positive thinking crap really works.

Based on previous years how often do they send pre-matches? Just on certain days like Nov. 15 and perhaps on Dec. 1 and before Christmas or could they essentially send pre-matches randomly like weekly? I interviewed a week before Nov. 15
It takes 2 weeks for them to put your app to the admissions committee after the interview. You can still pre-match I think!

Seriously? For a non-binding offer? thats crazy yo

Yeah good to know.

Meh I'll suck it up and just pay the money if it means I have a spot to sit somewhere next year! :D

For you all waiting out, don't lose hope guys. I promise you that this positive thinking crap really works.

Congrats! But I have to disagree about the positive thinking lol Has not helped me at all this year:p

you said earlier you had 7 II's right? and that you can't imagine they all went bad right?

Tbh I'm just being dramatic haha. I know I'm fortunate to have that many IIs, but I just expected to hear back from at least one right now ya know? Who knows how they went haha, I thought they went okay but you never know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! But I have to disagree about the positive thinking lol Has not helped me at all this year:p
I'm sure you will get an acceptance (not sure if you have or not). Keep at it! You have had a successful cycle, and it seems that you were content with your IIs so it may just take some time. I am sure you will get an acceptance!

I'm sure you will get an acceptance (not sure if you have or not). Keep at it! You have had a successful cycle, and it seems that you were content with your IIs so it may just take some time. I am sure you will get an acceptance!

Thank you:) so glad to see you were accepted!! Very happy for you!!!

Did you get accepted at Tech?

Thank you:) so glad to see you were accepted!! Very happy for you!!!
Thank you! Don't worry! We will be celebrating your acceptances soon as well!! And remember, worst comes to worst, you have match day! You WILL get something there with the number of IIs you have in-state.

Tbh I'm just being dramatic haha. I know I'm fortunate to have that many IIs, but I just expected to hear back from at least one right now ya know? Who knows how they went haha, I thought they went okay but you never know!
haha don't worry, you'll get in for sure :)

Okay I found my answer:

Pre-Match Offers

I simply agreed to the response form. I thought the background check and payment is if you know for sure you are attending the school. I'll call tomorrow to verify.

Can current medical students comment on their choice of housing? During my interview yesterday I had several people mention the Edge and Renaissance, but I know there was another that students recommended.
I lived at the Dominion my first year, it's a solid choice, plus every unit has an attached garage, which is a real perk.

Congrats to all those that prematched so far! I know y'all are competitive applicants, so you'll probably have lots of options to chose from, but I hope you'll give Tech solid consideration; it's a good school with good people.

And to those who haven't heard anything yet, don't panic! I know when I applied it didn't make sense that people were getting prematches all over, when I had equal or better stats and had nothing. It's a long prematch period where you can hear back, and then the match itself is a wonderful thing. I hope y'all don't have to wait till February like I did, but if it comes to that, take heart that that's when your best chance of getting in is.

I simply agreed to the response form. I thought the background check and payment is if you know for sure you are attending the school. I'll call tomorrow to verify.

I think you have to do it since it's one of the required activities to complete on that list in the first page

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted yesterday! ^_^ This was the only school I have heard from during pre-match time so far, so I am super grateful.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview Invite today! The only date I had available was December 16 for anyone still interested where they are in terms of dates. Lizzy M of 64, URM

Can't say I was expecting this one, but it was nice after not having any pre-matches yesterday! Keep your head up everybody, things will come :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Congrats to those who pre-matched! I am looking for some advice, I have an interview here, but pre-matched at my #2 school. I was thinking about cancelling here, but I really thought I wouldn't like El Paso, until I interviewed there and loved it. I don't want to miss that opportunity to learn about this school, but also I don't want to take an interview spot if I truly don't think I'd go here. Can anyone comment on if the interview day changed your opinion of the school, and those who will be ranking it high can you comment on why? THANKS!!!

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who pre-matched! I am looking for some advice, I have an interview here, but pre-matched at my #2 school. I was thinking about cancelling here, but I really thought I wouldn't like El Paso, until I interviewed there and loved it. I don't want to miss that opportunity to learn about this school, but also I don't want to take an interview spot if I truly don't think I'd go here. Can anyone comment on if the interview day changed your opinion of the school, and those who will be ranking it high can you comment on why? THANKS!!!

I did not think I would like Lubbock because it is LUBBOCK and in the middle of nowhere. But after the interview day, something just spoke to me about the school, and I would LOVE to be accepted here. I am from Houston, so it would be great to stay local, but this school is high up on my list.

Last edited by a moderator:

I interviewed here, A&M, and UTHSCSA and many might think I'm crazy, but I have accepted my prematch offer to Tech and will be attending here next fall. I found that every school I visited tried to claim that they had a "collaborative" and supportive environment, but this sentiment felt the most sincere at tech. The people are incredibly down to earth from the Dean down to the students. All of the administration truly listens to the student body and they are happy to cater to their needs. I also like the traditional curriculum of two full years of pre-clinical courses. This better suites my learning style as I will be able to focus on one class at a time instead of trying to divide my time among many. As to your question about the interview day, it made all the difference in the world to me. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed here, A&M, and UTHSCSA and many might think I'm crazy, but I have accepted my prematch offer to Tech and will be attending here next fall. I found that every school I visited tried to claim that they had a "collaborative" and supportive environment, but this sentiment felt the most sincere at tech. The people are incredibly down to earth from the Dean down to the students. All of the administration truly listens to the student body and they are happy to cater to their needs. I also like the traditional curriculum of two full years of pre-clinical courses. This better suites my learning style as I will be able to focus on one class at a time instead of trying to divide my time among many. As to your question about the interview day, it made all the difference in the world to me. I hope this helps!

I want to double down this as to why I loved Tech

I called today and supposably they are in the middle of "rolling admissions" and they said they will continually send out acceptances until the last interview date in December. That being said, I do not foresee them accepting many others until after the match period, especially for OOS applicants.

called and talked to admissions today. I interviewed on 10/28 and they were able to tell me that my interview has not gone to committee yet, so I had no chance of getting a pre-match yesterday because the committee hasn't even met about me. Those who interviewed on or after my date, you could also be in this group. Hoping that I get one through the rolling admissions throughout the next few weeks after they meet next and push me through committee.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted yesterday by email at 9:03 am. Undergraduate GPA 3.16, MCAT 509, Graduate GPA 4.0. For those that are interested, I would strongly recommend the Master's degree in Medical Sciences at the UNT Health Science Center. It is an intense, 1 year program very similar to the first year of medical school. The environment there is collaborative and transforms you into a studying machine. It is a great transition into medical school and prepares you for the material. There's also plenty of exposure and opportunities for insight into medicine. Good luck everyone! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Accepted yesterday by email at 9:03 am. Undergraduate GPA 3.16, MCAT 509, Graduate GPA 4.0. For those that are interested, I would strongly recommend the Master's degree in Medical Sciences at the UNT Health Science Center. It is an intense, 1 year program very similar to the first year of medical school. The environment there is collaborative and transforms you into a studying machine. It is a great transition into medical school and prepares you for the material. There's also plenty of exposure and opportunities for insight into medicine. Good luck everyone! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Just sent you a message! And congratulations, that's awesome!

called and talked to admissions today. I interviewed on 10/28 and they were able to tell me that my interview has not gone to committee yet, so I had no chance of getting a pre-match yesterday because the committee hasn't even met about me. Those who interviewed on or after my date, you could also be in this group. Hoping that I get one through the rolling admissions throughout the next few weeks after they meet next and push me through committee.

Does this mean they will be sending out more pre-matches?

Does this mean they will be sending out more pre-matches?
correct. There is a caveat though. If your interview has already gone to committee, she made it seem like there was no chance of a future pre-match. If it hasn't been, then rolling admissions technically applies because you're still going through the review process. Does that make sense?

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewing here tomorrow!
Any tips anyone? (greatly appreciated :D)

Quick question for students/accepted students: will we hear anything about merit scholarships before the match?

I withdrew my interview invitation for December, best of luck everyone!

Does Tech require SOPHAS for the MD/MPH program?

Just got II for dec 16. Only spot I saw left. Is that the last interview date ? what are my chances this late in the cycle? And also, is there a chance I could still prematch before dec 31st? Which happens to be the last day.

Thanks!

I called admissions today and that's the last day they plan to interview. So I'm afraid that means it's a no go for the rest of us who haven't gotten an interview yet :(
It's late in the cycle but you're still in a better spot than we are.

For prematchers, does anyone know if the fee is required to hold a prematch acceptance?

"If I accept below, I understand that my matriculation is conditional upon the completion of and adherence to the following requirements:
  • Submission of a placement guarantee fee of $100.00"
It sounds like you just pay that if you MATRICULATE and me just clicking yes on "I accept the offer" was me accepting pre-match?

#Confused #Poor

For prematchers, does anyone know if the fee is required to hold a prematch acceptance?

"If I accept below, I understand that my matriculation is conditional upon the completion of and adherence to the following requirements:
It sounds like you just pay that if you MATRICULATE and me just clicking yes on "I accept the offer" was me accepting pre-match?

#Confused #Poor
It means that you must pay the $100 deposit to hold your place in the class. Don't cheap out now! #PennyWisePoundFoolish

Last edited:
This may have been answered, but did anyone figure out if updates are okay after October 15th for those of us who have already interviewed? Thanks!

I called admissions today and that's the last day they plan to interview. So I'm afraid that means it's a no go for the rest of us who haven't gotten an interview yet :(

I'm not entirely sure about this, but

Although this may be true, this doesn't mean that people will not cancel the interviews they have if they get accepted to a school that they find superior! The last month of the interview season is like the last month of college football, ANYTHING can happen!!

#Confused #Poor
Pay it now to save your seat. It's refundable before May 15 so you can accept multiple offers and juggle your options. http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/admissions/reqs.aspx