2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Geez, that sucks. Why on earth did they postpone it?

Snowpocalypse! It didn't actually snow in my city, but they postponed it for pretty much the entire eastern seaboard

Members don't see this ad.

Snowpocalypse! It didn't actually snow in my city, but they postponed it for pretty much the entire eastern seaboard

Gotcha. I'd never heard of one being postponed, so I was curious. Well, I guess it's prepared you for these kinds of waits, right?

Gotcha. I'd never heard of one being postponed, so I was curious. Well, I guess it's prepared you for these kinds of waits, right?

Yeah it's very rare for sure, but as the name suggests this snowstorm was quite the doozy. I'm in the South though, so it didn't hit quite as hard here. Unfortunately this whole anticipation thing hasn't gotten any easier for me haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's very rare for sure, but as the name suggests this snowstorm was quite the doozy. I'm in the South though, so it didn't hit quite as hard here. Unfortunately this whole anticipation thing hasn't gotten any easier for me haha

I know what you mean. It's been a loooong application cycle for me, so I was hoping to hear some good news today. I got some good interviews, but so far nothing has come from them. Hoping that the couple schools which should be giving out acceptances this week will have soon good news for me, but we'll see... They're rather competitive.

I know what you mean. It's been a loooong application cycle for me, so I was hoping to hear some good news today. I got some good interviews, but so far nothing has come from them. Hoping that the couple schools which should be giving out acceptances this week will have soon good news for me, but we'll see... They're rather competitive.

Yeah I feel ya, my first interview was back in mid August so the season is really starting to drag at this point. I'm lucky to have some acceptances but I'm ready to know where I'll be going and would LOVE for Duke to be in the running haha. It's awesome that you're hearing back from some great schools this week, I wish you the best with that! They may be competitive, but hey, you are too! You got dis

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it's just about 530. To paraphrase Syrio Forel, "And there is only one thing Duke says to me, 'Not today!'"

Reactions: 1 users
I am actually preparing myself for Monday, don't wanna be disappointed again haha

thats not a bad idea, friday to monday for me isnt so bad because my weekends fly by, this is worse because the next two days will feel like an eternity

Random question, but does anyone know how many applicants Duke interviews each year? Not sure if this is on MSAR or not (I did not get it).

Random question, but does anyone know how many applicants Duke interviews each year? Not sure if this is on MSAR or not (I did not get it).

somewhere around 700-750 i believe

Members don't see this ad :)
So I think we can be confident we will NOT get decisions before tomorrow. Just called and the very kind lady who answered said they are working hard to get decisions out hopefully tomorrow but Monday the latest.

83388f593d1705497c03b7e90398268e.jpg
f8e9d9814c7d4550f856514861b32bc5.jpg
754086b1f2d69f39f9773ad67c50acce.jpg

19b57cb2c9a04c4ce8f86ba277ffbc0d.jpg

Some medical HUMOR to relieve everyones stress....

Reactions: 4 users
So I think we can be confident we will NOT get decisions before tomorrow. Just called and the very kind lady who answered said they are working hard to get decisions out hopefully tomorrow but Monday the latest.
Another reality is that this Friday-Monday timeline is most likely for accepted students and others (rejected/WL) might have to wait for a couple more days...

Another reality is that this Friday-Monday timeline is most likely for accepted students and others (rejected/WL) might have to wait for a couple more days...

True, but my hopes for the waitlist at Duke arent so high so if I know I'm not accepted idk if I care to get waitlisted lol i feel like it would be largely false hope

Somehow I'm doubting that we will hear back tomorrow....

how many hours do you think they spend in committee at this point in time? Probably a lot if they are trying so hard to get decisions out. I mean they didnt start deliberating until after their last interview day which was only like 2 weeks ago

Do you think they'll have a better idea now, toward the end of the day, whether decisions will be released tomorrow?

Do you think they'll have a better idea now, toward the end of the day, whether decisions will be released tomorrow?

I think so, yea, but I dont wanna call again I called this morning already

Yeah maybe we should just give them time and see what happens tomorrow. We'll all know very soon!

Yeah, I really really hope its tomorrow lol...but again, I doubt ALL phone calls are going out tomorrow, so some people will definitely have to wait till monday I think

Yeah, I really really hope its tomorrow lol...but again, I doubt ALL phone calls are going out tomorrow, so some people will definitely have to wait till monday I think
I agree--let's hope for the best!

someone call! I already did yesterday I feel bad calling again lol.

I'm listening to a song with the line "thinking bout the words you'd say to a phone that never calls" and while the song is obviously not about applying to med school the feeling is all too real rn

I'm listening to a song with the line "thinking bout the words you'd say to a phone that never calls" and while the song is obviously not about applying to med school the feeling is all too real rn
Mat Kearney?

In which case they may wish to wait until Monday anyway for the sake of our sanity. I'd definitely prefer that to hearing some people get in tomorrow and having to wait until Monday for myself.

When a 919 areas code calls you...and it's Duke...but just the alumni center asking for $$$....The gods are savage and really testing me

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I so feel you!!! I was so shook and salty talking to this poor girl and now I'm going to drown my sorrows in a bottle of wine until the adrenaline rush calms down.
That happend to me for UNC. The poor girl had no idea why I was freaking out lol

I so feel you!!! I was so shook and salty talking to this poor girl and now I'm going to drown my sorrows in a bottle of wine until the adrenaline rush calms down.
Ugh wine. I need that.

I have the same sick in the gut feeling that follows a "we need to talk" text message from a loved one- like I know it is going to be bad news, but I still gotta know. :(

Reactions: 2 users
can someone call? I'm in lab meetings all morning so I can't :(

Guys, I feel like just out of general courtesy, karma, etc. it would be advisable to not call them repeatedly every day. There are only so many people who work in admissions (a handful) so the multiple calls per day likely affects at least one of them. These are administrative assistants who are not directly responsible for making decisions and simply relay and organize information. I am just as neurotic and impatient as the next guy but please just be mindful of other people, especially when nothing you do right now will positively influence the outcome of your admission decision.

Reactions: 10 users
Guys, I feel like just out of general courtesy, karma, etc. it would be advisable to not call them repeatedly every day. There are only so many people who work in admissions (a handful) so the multiple calls per day likely affects at least one of them. These are administrative assistants who are not directly responsible for making decisions and simply relay and organize information. I am just as neurotic and impatient as the next guy but please just be mindful of other people, especially when nothing you do right now will positively influence the outcome of your admission decision.
This would be why not everyone was calling, we were suggesting that one person call. I feel like out of general courtesy, it would be okay for Duke to be able to let us know at least when to expect calls.