2016-2017 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not a real headshot unless you have a suit jacket with tighty-whities on down below
I did that but everyone at the Passport-Photo Station kept looking at me funny. 3/10 would wear pants next time

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
For all but 2 schools that I submitted a headshot to, I had on a black tank top.:oops: We'll see how much it hurts me for the schools I have yet to her back from.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
ummmmm Interview invite WTF

edit: Complete mid-July

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think having a gap year qualifies as non-trad.

ETA: I love when people edit their posts after I respond to them so that it looks like I'm talking to the voices in my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Diversity of age is a thing, but I think what is accomplished during time off is more important (quality > quantity)

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure who that was directed toward, but no. An otherwise traditional, 22 year old college grad who takes one (or even two) years away from school for the express purpose of applying to med school is absolutely not a non-trad applicant. I know I've seen the numbers before, I can't remember offhand, but I believe something around 30-40% of applicants take a gap year now.

Diversity of age is a thing, but I think what is accomplished during time off is more important (quality > quantity)

It's not really "time off" is it? If you're not in school as an adult, it's because you're out in the real world, probably working. I expect most people are just trying to pay bills and such, even if that's not high quality in terms of med school applications.

It's not really "time off" is it? If you're not in school as an adult, it's because you're out in the real world, probably working. I expect most people are just trying to pay bills and such, even if that's not high quality in terms of med school applications.
I simply meant to say "time since undergrad"... as is asked in the first question of D's secondary

Is there a maximum for LOR's here? I believe it says "a minimum of 2 letters," but I don't know if there are any other LOR specifics or requirements that I'm missing

II today! Couldn't be more excited. Complete 7/6. Non-trad, LizzyM ~67-70

Reactions: 10 users
Also got a II! Secondary submitted 7/16/16. Anyone have any tips for hotels?

Complete ~7/10. LizzyM ~74. I was wondering about hotels too but it's so much money T.T thinking of staying with hosts to save $$$

I want an II from here so badly. Gimme some love Dartmouth.

Reactions: 6 users
For the photo: my attire screams "professional", while my smile gently asks, "Am I wearing any pants?". Hopefully I will be able to answer the question during an interview.

Reactions: 12 users
You know what? After browsing through this thread, I love everyone's sense of humor and "fire". Maybe we should all get together and form our own medical school class (that is, if Dartmouth doesn't recognize our awesomeness).

On a side note. I was driving through NH one day and decided to swing by Dartmouth (as a poor, state-educated boy...I grew up to look at Dartmouth as some magical place...like Hogwarts. So I wanted to see what it was like). Anyways, my dog took a dump on the main lawn within 5 minutes of being there...and he only dumps when he is comfortable. So he is either going to be super excited, or extremely upset when the decision arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
You know what? After browsing through this thread, I love everyone's sense of humor and "fire". Maybe we should all get together and form our own medical school class (that is, if Dartmouth doesn't recognize our awesomeness).

On a side note. I was driving through NH one day and decided to swing by Dartmouth (as a poor, state-educated boy...I grew up to look at Dartmouth as some magical place...like Hogwarts. So I wanted to see what it was like). Anyways, my dog took a dump on the main lawn within 5 minutes of being there...and he only dumps when he is comfortable. So he is either going to be super excited, or extremely upset when the decision arrives.

Or he got into some Chipotle.

This, right here, is what student doctor network is about. I hope you get into Dartmouth so so badly.

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats on the II?

Is there a reason provide a range of LizzyM? Or is that just the cGPA and sGPA?
Thank you! My stats are not straightforward, so I thought a range would cover it more inclusively.

Last edited:
II today! Couldn't be more excited. Complete 7/6. Non-trad, LizzyM ~67-70

Congrats on the II?

Is there a reason provide a range of LizzyM? Or is that just the cGPA and sGPA?
Thank you! My stats are not straightforward, so I thought a range would cover it more inclusively.

Ahh okay, makes sense! Also, it was a type-o with my "? "earlier saying congrats. Haha

This is a dream come true! I just received an email stating that I received a $10 coupon at LL Bean (expiring 9/1/2016). :cool:

Reactions: 16 users
I like you! But absolutely. I would need the added traction and protection from the elements to evade the police, as I would be attending classes illegally.

The good news is, they have a "no questions asked ever" return policy, so you could literally buy these boots and return them 2 years later after using them for during those years and continually get new ones for the rest of your days so there is potential for great ROI.

The good news is, they have a "no questions asked ever" return policy, so you could literally buy these boots and return them 2 years later after using them for during those years and continually get new ones for the rest of your days so there is potential for great ROI.
62447474.jpg

LL Bean is awesome. My winter coat got a tear in it and they just straight up handed me a brand new one.

LL Bean is awesome. My winter coat got a tear in it and they just straight up handed me a brand new one.
Exactly! You can't beat their policy! That's why I always recommend their CC (you get $10 coupons every month just for having it...you don't even have to use it).

Hey...maybe we could fund our educations by becoming spokespersons or campus brand-reps. We should send them our pantless Dartmouth App photos to see if they are interested.

This is by far my favorite thread to check out of all the schools I've applied to. If this is any indication to what kinda people apply to Dartmouth then I really hope we all get in!

Reactions: 8 users
This is by far my favorite thread to check out of all the schools I've applied to. If this is any indication to what kinda people apply to Dartmouth then I really hope we all get in!
I don't know where everyone in this thread is from, but this is pretty much what it's like in New Hampshire. I'm SO happy I moved here; I realllyyyyy hope I get to stay for med school!

I don't know where everyone in this thread is from, but this is pretty much what it's like in New Hampshire. I'm SO happy I moved here; I realllyyyyy hope I get to stay for med school!
Neurotic, hopelessly optimistic, and a tad bit annoying? Perfect.

Reactions: 7 users