2016-2017 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the average age of matriculants here last year? I seem to remember hearing that it's quite high (~28 or so). If that's the case, does anyone know if that's mostly correlation, or is there really a heavy bias against younger applicants (I'll be 21 when applying)?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Anyone know the average age of matriculants here last year? I seem to remember hearing that it's quite high (~28 or so). If that's the case, does anyone know if that's mostly correlation, or is there really a heavy bias against younger applicants (I'll be 21 when applying)?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Not sure the answer to the average age, but from reading previous threads it seems Dartmouth definitely loves non-trads. That being said, I don't know I would consider it a bias against younger apps, but just make sure you emphasize any real-world experience you have that involves non-academic activities. Hope this helps a bit

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure the answer to the average age, but from reading previous threads it seems Dartmouth definitely loves non-trads. That being said, I don't know I would consider it a bias against younger apps, but just make sure you emphasize any real-world experience you have that involves non-academic activities. Hope this helps a bit
Yeah that makes sense. Even if there's no bias, I'm not sure it would be the most enjoyable environment to be around so few people my age. Might be odd to go from being surrounded by immature college kids to a bunch of married adults haha. The latter is certainly more desirable, but a sweet spot somewhere in the middle might be ideal.

Love your username by the way haha

Yeah that makes sense. Even if there's no bias, I'm not sure it would be the most enjoyable environment to be around so few people my age. Might be odd to go from being surrounded by immature college kids to a bunch of married adults haha. The latter is certainly more desirable, but a sweet spot somewhere in the middle might be ideal.

You're an adult now. Get over age. Also, us married adults can be just as immature as an undergrad....

Reactions: 6 users
You're an adult now. Get over age. Also, us married adults can be just as immature as an undergrad....

Haha God forbid I choose a school where I'll be surrounded by peers I can most easily identify with.. You wouldn't call out a black applicant for applying to a HBC, would you? I can only apply to so many schools, so I might as well choose ones where I think I'll be happiest.

Haha God forbid I choose a school where I'll be surrounded by peers I can most easily identify with.. You wouldn't call out a black applicant for applying to a HBC, would you? I can only apply to so many schools, so I might as well choose ones where I think I'll be happiest.
Age and race are not comparable. The fact that your classmates may be older is irrelevant. The majority of your professors, preceptors, nurses, RTs, patients, etc will be older than you. Your classmates are going to be your future colleagues. If you don't think you can get along with people 5-7 years older than you, that's concerning.

Reactions: 2 users
Age and race are not comparable. The fact that your classmates may be older is irrelevant. The majority of your professors, preceptors, nurses, RTs, patients, etc will be older than you. Your classmates are going to be your future colleagues. If you don't think you can get along with people 5-7 years older than you, that's concerning.

I have no problem whatsoever getting along with people who are older than I am, and I never said that that was the case. That doesn't change the fact that EVERYONE enjoys being surrounded people who are most similar to them. That's common knowledge, there's nothing wrong with that, and it's a very minor concern of mine that you seem to want to turn into a big issue for some reason. Relax.

Reactions: 5 users

Thanks!!

Also just noticed on MSAR "Matriculant Demographics" there's age info: 26 matriculated age 19-23, 62 age 23-29, 3 older. I think socially there may definitely be a difference from even a 1 year older nontrad who worked for that time vs trad, so it is something to think about. For example, I feel much closer personally to the other 20-somethings at work than the 40-year olds even though I can still connect with and work professionally with them. Not the biggest issue, but it definitely makes a difference to think about social atmosphere. Good luck!

Thanks!!

Also just noticed on MSAR "Matriculant Demographics" there's age info: 26 matriculated age 19-23, 62 age 23-29, 3 older. I think socially there may definitely be a difference from even a 1 year older nontrad who worked for that time vs trad, so it is something to think about. For example, I feel much closer personally to the other 20-somethings at work than the 40-year olds even though I can still connect with and work professionally with them. Not the biggest issue, but it definitely makes a difference to think about social atmosphere. Good luck!
Great points, thanks so much for the info!

Great points, thanks so much for the info!

Hey there - just wanted to swing around and give you my two cents on this. I am non-trad and am starting at Geisel in the Fall, and based on the contact that I have had with other admitted students, most people have taken several years off since finishing undergrad. Back on my interview day, they really expressed that they like people who can bring real-world experiences to medicine, and that *typically* comes with those who are a little bit older/non-trad. That being said, there are plenty of people as well who are fresh out of undergrad, so I would not let that deter you. It's an amazing school with a great community who likes people from many walks of life. I think they care more about the individual and how they will contribute to the class than they do about age.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there - just wanted to swing around and give you my two cents on this. I am non-trad and am starting at Geisel in the Fall, and based on the contact that I have had with other admitted students, most people have taken several years off since finishing undergrad. Back on my interview day, they really expressed that they like people who can bring real-world experiences to medicine, and that *typically* comes with those who are a little bit older/non-trad. That being said, there are plenty of people as well who are fresh out of undergrad, so I would not let that deter you. It's an amazing school with a great community who likes people from many walks of life. I think they care more about the individual and how they will contribute to the class than they do about age.

May I ask what you mean by "real-world experience"? The term gets thrown around a bit, but I've never seen anyone spell it out. I'm assuming it means something other than student orgs? Also I have no idea if I count as "nontrad" or not, but if all things go well this cycle I'll be matriculating when I'm 25. :bookworm:

May I ask what you mean by "real-world experience"? The term gets thrown around a bit, but I've never seen anyone spell it out. I'm assuming it means something other than student orgs? Also I have no idea if I count as "nontrad" or not, but if all things go well this cycle I'll be matriculating when I'm 25. :bookworm:

I think it can mean many things, but people tend to think about items such as: experience in the professional world (and in many cases, the professional world outside of those areas that are related specifically to medicine...people who come from non-science backgrounds tend to bring interesting insight to their medical education), global travel, marriage/parenthood, etc.. Generally just referring to experiences that have allowed you to see and deal with the world beyond college...one that is much less politically correct and "cushy" than the one many students typically experience as undergrads. By no means are these things requirements, but just wanted to give you an idea of what I think of as these real-world experiences.

And no worries about your age! I will be 27 when I matriculate this Fall. Definitely going to have to "re-learn" how to go to school haha

Members don't see this ad :)
3.63 GPA/516 MCAT/Oregon resident. Worth applying?
The only thing anyone can tell you from that info is that you will be above any automatic cutoff. The median is ~3.65/513, but you know that's a tiny fraction of what makes one a competitive applicant.

Last edited:
Also there is a "what are my chances" section you should post in

I think it can mean many things, but people tend to think about items such as: experience in the professional world (and in many cases, the professional world outside of those areas that are related specifically to medicine...people who come from non-science backgrounds tend to bring interesting insight to their medical education), global travel, marriage/parenthood, etc.. Generally just referring to experiences that have allowed you to see and deal with the world beyond college...one that is much less politically correct and "cushy" than the one many students typically experience as undergrads. By no means are these things requirements, but just wanted to give you an idea of what I think of as these real-world experiences.

And no worries about your age! I will be 27 when I matriculate this Fall. Definitely going to have to "re-learn" how to go to school haha

Congratulations! I think you will have no problem at all readjusting. The higher median of age, among other things at Geisel, is very appealing to me. What were some things about Geisel that you liked that sealed the deal for you?

Congratulations! I think you will have no problem at all readjusting. The higher median of age, among other things at Geisel, is very appealing to me. What were some things about Geisel that you liked that sealed the deal for you?

I was very drawn to a smaller class size (it's around 90 per class in total), along with an evolving curriculum aimed at increasing case-based/problem-based learning. Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) is also a phenomenal teaching hospital that brings complex cases to an ideal setting. I went to Dartmouth as an undergrad as well, so I knew that Hanover would be an ideal environment to study medicine (small, quiet, safe -- but has everything you need and more).

Can confirm, last cycle they sent me a secondary within 30 min of being verified

Reactions: 1 users
Hey accepted students! I have a question for you, if you happen to remember. I'm pre-writing the secondary essay on additional information for the committee. It's turned into a "why dartmouth" essay for me, because there's so much I'm excited about here. But, brevity is the soul of wit, and I'm mindful of boring the committee with too much info. About how long were your secondary essays?

Hey accepted students! I have a question for you, if you happen to remember. I'm pre-writing the secondary essay on additional information for the committee. It's turned into a "why dartmouth" essay for me, because there's so much I'm excited about here. But, brevity is the soul of wit, and I'm mindful of boring the committee with too much info. About how long were your secondary essays?

Each was 4-5 paragraphs for me.

Were these the essay prompts last year?

Please indicate your plans for the 2014-15 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]

Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

From http://www.prospectivedoctor.com/geisel-school-of-medicine-at-dartmouth-secondary/

I'm matriculating to Geisel. Im starting next month in August.

As far as the older classmates: I attended second look and made friends with many of them. I'm 21 years old. Some have kids, some are married, some are veterans. very diverse class but it's interesting for me to learn from them.

there are students that are in my position (younger students, straight out of college or 1-2 gap years).

Just got secondary!

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2016-2017 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Premedical Requirements

3. Applicants need not have completed all premedical courses at the time of application, but required courses must be completed and documented prior to matriculation at the Geisel School in August 2017. Please list below the courses you have taken, or plan to take, to fulfill the Geisel School's premedical requirements. Please check the box next to any course in progress during the application year. We require one year each (8 semester hours or equivalent) of Physics and General Biology, plus one-half year (3 semester hours or equivalent) of Calculus or Statistics, and two years of chemistry which must include one-half year of Biochemistry and one-half year of Organic Chemistry. Advanced Placement courses for which you have received official college credit and that will appear on a college transcript may be used to fulfill the requirements.

Please Note: For semester hours, please feel free to list either the AMCAS converted hours or what appears on your transcript. If you are on a trimester or quarter system, please know we are used to seeing variations in semester hours depending on how your school awards credit. For course names, abbreviations are fine and we ask that you only list the courses you are using to meet each requirement and not include additional courses taken in that subject area.

4. Is there anyone in your immediate family who is a graduate of Dartmouth? (Note: You do not need to list yourself if you are a Dartmouth College graduate.) Please list below with class, relationship, and school affiliation (i.e., Dartmouth College, Geisel School, Thayer School, Tuck School).

5. If you are not a U.S. Citizen and you have Permanent Resident status, you are required to submit a copy of your valid Alien Registration Card ('Green Card'). Until the copy is received, your file will not be considered complete

Last edited:
Is there no way to save the secondary before submission? It seems the only button is "submit"
Also, I'm assuming there are no word limits for the essays?

Is there no way to save the secondary before submission? It seems the only button is "submit"
Also, I'm assuming there are no word limits for the essays?

I just read the instructions and it says "Please note that this application must be completed in one sitting as there is no save function." Also, there's no word limit, but I've been advised to keep it around the same length that other secondaries ask for (<2000 characters).

Last edited:
+1!

For anyone that's finished it, is it an easy secondary to complete?

I just read the instructions and it says "Please note that this application must be completed in one sitting as there is no save function." Also, there's no word limit, but I've been advised to keep it around the same length that other secondaries ask for (<2000 words).
Do you mean 2000 characters ?

Reactions: 2 users
Note that they request "a recent 640x480 (approx. size) photo (OPTIONAL)."

Guess I'm gonna have to shave and throw on the suit.

Otherwise, the entire thing is a single page. Copy/Paste your essays, input the courses you are using to fulfill the requirements, and list any immediate family members who are Dartmouth alumni.

Secondary received and submitted! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
What is everyone writing about for the "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file"?

I'm thinking of writing about growing up on a farm, and how it taught me discipline, hard work, etc. etc.

What is everyone writing about for the "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file"?

I'm thinking of writing about growing up on a farm, and how it taught me discipline, hard work, etc. etc.
My essay is about my upbringing, as well. I consistently moved every 3 years or so, including time in Europe and all over the US. Made me wicked cultured.

+1!

For anyone that's finished it, is it an easy secondary to complete?
It is indeed 1 page, but you have to list every course which fits their pre-med requirements. Read the directions before applying, because @porta already mentioned that there is no save button; it must be done in one sitting.

What are you guys putting for the optional essay? Diversity, why Dartmouth?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

any current students that can speak to how LGBTQ+ friendly Dartmouth is?

Considering which diversity essay to utilize- I have two, unfortunately, one outing myself and another with a different diversity tack.

Secondary submitted and application complete!

Whether he realizes or not, yes. 2,000 words is ~4 single spaced pages. I would highly advise against submitting anything that long!
I realize that , was just correcting what they said

Do you guys think an essay on a human cadaver dissection course I took in 10th grade could be acceptable as something I did not put on my application? It was an opportunity to work with much older individuals than I and I feel it could relate back to being comfortable with high matriculation age whereas I'm fresh out of college.

I think it would be preferable to focus on college activities, since those are more recent and would be more meaningful to discuss. There are probably very high school activities that would warrant mention on a medical school application, but that's just my opinion.

Oh my goodness I forgot to attach a picture! If its optional that can't be grounds for rejection, right?