2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how they're sending out secondaries? GPA/MCAT screening?

I have a 3.9/40 and haven't received anything yet. I'm a CA applicant and I"m really interested in this school!
I would also like to know if their screening. I have a 3.6 but a really low mcat like 20th percentile low and their faqs said their minimum mcat was a 497 which is above what I have. I got their secondary today but I'm skeptical because they said they prescreen

any extenuating circumstances for that score? or are you urm? they might have thought your application was interesting enough to overlook that
I would also like to know if their screening. I have a 3.6 but a really low mcat like 20th percentile low and their faqs said their minimum mcat was a 497 which is above what I have. I got their secondary today but I'm skeptical because they said they prescreen

Just got my secondary today, how am I supposed to enter classes that had 2 separate classes for Lecture and Lab? Just write both in the boxes and separate by comma?

any extenuating circumstances for that score? or are you urm? they might have thought your application was interesting enough to overlook that
I have interesting EC's--president and co-founder of nonprofit that helps kids without parents, shadowing, research, volunteering--and I transferred to a university then back to my original one this past spring, but I didn't really get to explain my extenuating circumstances of adjusting after transferring on my primary? I'm hoping that I'm an exception but I don't want to get my hopes up. I knew applying this year with my mCAT was a long shot anyway.

Just got my secondary today, how am I supposed to enter classes that had 2 separate classes for Lecture and Lab? Just write both in the boxes and separate by comma?
That's what I did, I separated the grades with a comma too.

On the prereqs section of the secondary app, there are only 2 spots to fill in Math prereqs (i assume for semester classes) but I need 3 quarters of math? Where do I fill in the third math class?

So if I wasn't enrolled in less than 12 units for more than 6 quarters, do I write "not applicable" or something because it is a required question on the secondary.....

So if I wasn't enrolled in less than 12 units for more than 6 quarters, do I write "not applicable" or something because it is a required question on the secondary.....
That's what I'm planning on doing, sounds reasonable to me. For the math prereqs I just put 2 quarters of math on one line and then my quarter of statistics on the second section.

I'm just about ready to submit my secondary, and got to the part about disclosing criminal convictions according to the Medical Board of California. It says this "This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor and/or felony, including traffic violations."
So I have to disclose a speeding ticket in Utah from last year?

I'm just about ready to submit my secondary, and got to the part about disclosing criminal convictions according to the Medical Board of California. It says this "This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor and/or felony, including traffic violations."
I clicked on that link on their FAQ and it brings you to a page for getting your medical license in California, not for getting admitted to medical school. Me and my friend both got infractions for something a couple years ago and he had plenty of other tickets and citations (minor stuff like traffic) and he applied to most md programs and passed all the background checks and is an ms1 now in a California med school :)

I wouldn't disclose that traffic ticket.

Members don't see this ad :)
da eff? why does msar say they only give out 60 interviews but their class size is 60? that can't be right

I have interesting EC's--president and co-founder of nonprofit that helps kids without parents, shadowing, research, volunteering--and I transferred to a university then back to my original one this past spring, but I didn't really get to explain my extenuating circumstances of adjusting after transferring on my primary? I'm hoping that I'm an exception but I don't want to get my hopes up. I knew applying this year with my mCAT was a long shot anyway.
maybe they made an excpetion becasue of your ecs? you could always call and ask :)

why does msar say they only give out 60 interviews but their class size is 60? that can't be right

There were 216 interviews for ℅ 2019 (60 slots) and 360 for ℅ 2020 (90 slots).

Disclose the ticket and don't give it a second thought. "Speeding ticket in Utah, [DATE]" - Done. Unless it looks like you have a pattern of reckless behavior, most schools couldn't care less.

Yes, separating with a comma should be fine. People who had this question last year did so and didn't seem to have any problems.

Reactions: 1 user

Disclose the ticket and don't give it a second thought. "Speeding ticket in Utah, [DATE]" - Done. Unless it looks like you have a pattern of reckless behavior, most schools couldn't care less.

Yes, separating with a comma should be fine. People who had this question last year did so and didn't seem to have any problems.
That's what I went ahead and did, figured it would be best to be honest if they're going to pull my record anyway.

Is there an IS/OOS criteria for admissions ?

There's no separate criteria. It seemed like a proportional number of OOS interviewed last year when considering that the majority of applicants were Californians.

Does anyone know if we could get loans from this school if we have other loans from undergrad years

@nosarcasm
Curious what you're thinking now that i assume orientation and stuff has happened.

Also, do you happen to know what the clinical opportunities are? How about research? Opportunities for research at other schools or something during summer months?

Thanks so much! I know you might not know the answers as you're starting but any insight would be helpful!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I haven't been on SDN much since school started.

I'm liking it a lot so far! I'm in a relatively unique position because I did the SMP at Georgetown, so I have seen how a more "established" medical school operates. CNU is new, and is still figuring some things out, but I've been impressed overall. Very receptive faculty, and the Dean is very present, which I like. I never saw the Dean at Georgetown, but Dean Silva sits in on lectures, comes to our small groups, and says hi to us in the hallways. It's a really personable environment, and I definitely feel like I'm part of a family. It's a much warmer vibe than I felt at Georgetown.

Clinical opportunities are increasing every day. Both the M2s and M1s have been diligent in securing opportunities for ourselves and our future classmates. There is no shortage of shadowing, volunteering, or outreach opportunities, and our student interest groups offer tailored opportunities as well, so you can pursue your more specific interests.

I can't speak to research, but I know many M2s had an easy time finding opportunities there this summer. I used to work at UCSF, and have the luxury of basically going back there whenever I want to, so I'm not stressing as much over this.

Are there still some technical difficulties CNU needs to figure out? Yeah. Could the curriculum use a bit of re-shaping? Sure. Am I happy to be here? Absolutely. All of CNU's current shortcomings are solvable, and the staff and faculty are earnestly interested in the student's input.

Happy to answer any questions you have! I might not be as knowledgeable just yet as the M2s who have posted here, but I'll answer what I can!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if we could get loans from this school if we have other loans from undergrad years

You can still get loans- all of CNU's loans are private. The interest rate on said loans depends on your credit and if you have a co-signer. I have loans from grad school, and I didn't have any issues.

Reactions: 2 users
You can still get loans- all of CNU's loans are private. The interest rate on said loans depends on your credit and if you have a co-signer. I have loans from grad school, and I didn't have any issues.
Thank you so much for the info

How to tell if you are complete? Do they send an email saying that you are?

And for those with FAP, did you just click the Paypal link and then click submit without paying?

How to tell if you are complete? Do they send an email saying that you are?

And for those with FAP, did you just click the Paypal link and then click submit without paying?

I'm curious about the complete status too. but as for the secondary fee, I had to pay it even with FAP. I didn't see a fee waiver option at all

I'm curious about the complete status too. but as for the secondary fee, I had to pay it even with FAP. I didn't see a fee waiver option at all

There was an option you could click at the beginning page where it says you qualify for a fee waiver. It wouldn't let you submit until clicking the Paypal button though at the end, but don't have to pay. May be in your interest to call them for a refund.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I haven't been on SDN much since school started.

I'm liking it a lot so far! I'm in a relatively unique position because I did the SMP at Georgetown, so I have seen how a more "established" medical school operates. CNU is new, and is still figuring some things out, but I've been impressed overall. Very receptive faculty, and the Dean is very present, which I like. I never saw the Dean at Georgetown, but Dean Silva sits in on lectures, comes to our small groups, and says hi to us in the hallways. It's a really personable environment, and I definitely feel like I'm part of a family. It's a much warmer vibe than I felt at Georgetown.

Clinical opportunities are increasing every day. Both the M2s and M1s have been diligent in securing opportunities for ourselves and our future classmates. There is no shortage of shadowing, volunteering, or outreach opportunities, and our student interest groups offer tailored opportunities as well, so you can pursue your more specific interests.

I can't speak to research, but I know many M2s had an easy time finding opportunities there this summer. I used to work at UCSF, and have the luxury of basically going back there whenever I want to, so I'm not stressing as much over this.

Are there still some technical difficulties CNU needs to figure out? Yeah. Could the curriculum use a bit of re-shaping? Sure. Am I happy to be here? Absolutely. All of CNU's current shortcomings are solvable, and the staff and faculty are earnestly interested in the student's input.

Happy to answer any questions you have! I might not be as knowledgeable just yet as the M2s who have posted here, but I'll answer what I can!
Thanks so much!! This is a random timeline question but do you remember around how long it took for you to get an ii? Did any of your classmates or you get passed up for first wave iis but get one later on?

There was an option you could click at the beginning page where it says you qualify for a fee waiver. It wouldn't let you submit until clicking the Paypal button though at the end, but don't have to pay. May be in your interest to call them for a refund.

oh.. i didn't see that :( i also submitted my secondary 1.5 months ago, but maybe i will give them a call after the holiday weekend.

Is this question on the secondary where you explain your extenuating circumstances? Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application.

Is this question on the secondary where you explain your extenuating circumstances? Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application.

Considering that interviews are MMI format, I think it would be fine to answer the prompt that way if you feel like it would help you.

There have been many negative comments about CNU and problems with LCME. Mention of some problems with the faculty too. Your thoughts?

There have been many negative comments about CNU and problems with LCME. Mention of some problems with the faculty too. Your thoughts?

Honestly, you can come up with negative things to say about any school. I was at Georgetown for a year, and as an SMP saw firsthand how their medical school works. All in all, good experience, but I definitely have some negative things to say about the facilities, some of the faculty, etc. CNU has the unfortunate position of being a new school, and so all of its problems tend to be magnified and scrutinized pretty harshly on here. Overall, I have been very impressed with our faculty. Over the course of my academic career (as an undergrad, a researcher, a Master's student, and now a medical student), I have never felt like a faculty has been so invested in my success. My biggest complaints right now mainly surround IT issues, and obviously the loan situation. I have virtually no problems with the faculty I've encountered thus far.

I'm happy to be here. Let me know if you have any more questions

Does anyone know if this school does rejections or if everyone is going to be "considered" until spring?

I'm an M2 here and of course being a new school, there are growing pains. I know that one of the big issues that people bring up all the time is that one of our anatomy faculty members is a fresh PhD graduate. She did graduate last year before we started M1 year and I know that is controversial, but experience does not always correlate with quality. She is one of the best faculty members we have and I love her lectures. She uses a tablet to annotate her lectures while she lectures (it's great to follow along and annotate on my tablet while she lectures) and she sends out the annotated lecture slides to all the students so that if you didn't catch something or you don't have a tablet, you're not missing out. I wish more professors would be willing to use more technology in their lectures like she did.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm an M2 here and of course being a new school, there are growing pains. I know that one of the big issues that people bring up all the time is that one of our anatomy faculty members is a fresh PhD graduate. She did graduate last year before we started M1 year and I know that is controversial, but experience does not always correlate with quality. She is one of the best faculty members we have and I love her lectures. She uses a tablet to annotate her lectures while she lectures (it's great to follow along and annotate on my tablet while she lectures) and she sends out the annotated lecture slides to all the students so that if you didn't catch something or you don't have a tablet, you're not missing out. I wish more professors would be willing to use more technology in their lectures like she did.

We had our first lecture with her today, and I was SO impressed. She is definitely a born teacher. Her two lectures this morning were some of the most effective I've ever had.

Any interview offers yet?

We had our first round of candidates interview yesterday. Don't let that be discouraging to you though. I didn't get my II for CNU until February, and I interviewed on the very last day (April 27! So late!) and got in- actually, a fair number of people from my interview day are in my class.

We had our first round of candidates interview yesterday. Don't let that be discouraging to you though. I didn't get my II for CNU until February, and I interviewed on the very last day (April 27! So late!) and got in- actually, a fair number of people from my interview day are in my class.
Do you remember when was your application complete?

Should I call the school to get info on my application status? I was complete on august first

Should I call the school to get info on my application status? I was complete on august first

That's always an option, but I personally wouldn't call them just yet (it's not really my style). I was complete for months before I heard anything. Completely up to you though! The staff is really friendly, and very receptive.

Do you remember when was your application complete?

Last year? Not until later than I would have liked (there was a mix up with getting me my secondary- some kinks in the system last year that they seem to have worked out now). I just checked- and it was 11/17. I received my II on 2/16 for an interview on 4/27, accepted 5/12.

So, sometimes these things just take time! I know it's torture to sit and wait it out.

Anyone still waiting on a secondary? I submitted June 22nd. LizzyM ~70 and in-state. I'm still waiting on UCLA and this school :|

Anyone still waiting on a secondary? I submitted June 22nd. LizzyM ~70 and in-state. I'm still waiting on UCLA and this school :|

If you don't receive one soon, contact the school. This happened to me last year, but I was so busy in my master's program that I didn't notice I hadn't gotten one until November (!!!). I sent them an e-mail just asking if there was any confusion about my pre-reqs, or some kind of requirement I didn't realize I had not fulfilled. They got back to me right away with the secondary. Check your spam folder first, but then send them an e-mail. I know they received more applications this year than last year, so their system might just be a little overwhelmed.

Has anyone else had issues using a .edu email for receiving secondaries from this school?

Hi!, 4th year applicant here.

I ED'ed for CNSU this cycle, and was picked for the very first interview (Sept. 16) for 2017 matriculation. I will try to answer any questions you guys have about their application process as best as I can.

If you don't receive one soon, contact the school. This happened to me last year, but I was so busy in my master's program that I didn't notice I hadn't gotten one until November (!!!). I sent them an e-mail just asking if there was any confusion about my pre-reqs, or some kind of requirement I didn't realize I had not fulfilled. They got back to me right away with the secondary. Check your spam folder first, but then send them an e-mail. I know they received more applications this year than last year, so their system might just be a little overwhelmed.
+1 on waiting on that secondary. According the MSAR, they screen for secondary. I am assuming they take a while because it's a holistic screen?

+1 on waiting on that secondary. According the MSAR, they screen for secondary. I am assuming they take a while because it's a holistic screen?

If it's holistic it might be loosely so because I got the secondary the day after I was AMCAS verified

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the info! I'll send an email right now, then.