2015-2016 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the pool notification this morning on my portal. I think they finished the prelim review

Just submitted my secondary!

I did not receive a email confirmation of my secondary submission though. Also, in the portal, I am not able to see the status of my LORs. Is anyone able to see the status of their LORs from the portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my secondary!

I did not receive a email confirmation of my secondary submission though. Also, in the portal, I am not able to see the status of my LORs. Is anyone able to see the status of their LORs from the portal?

I submitted 7/19 and also did not get an email confirmation, nor can I see the status of my LORs. My portal says this though:

"Your supplemental application has been received. Please note that it may take 6-8 weeks for all materials to be processed; at certain times of the year, it may take as many as 10-12 weeks. You should continue to periodically check on the status of your file through the Online Applicant Center. We appreciate your patience!"

I submitted 7/19 and also did not get an email confirmation, nor can I see the status of my LORs. My portal says this though:

"Your supplemental application has been received. Please note that it may take 6-8 weeks for all materials to be processed; at certain times of the year, it may take as many as 10-12 weeks. You should continue to periodically check on the status of your file through the Online Applicant Center. We appreciate your patience!"

That's what I'm seeing, too, thanks! It's weird though, because on that same page, they say you should be able to see the status of your LORs on the bottom of the page. I guess we still need to wait those 10-12 weeks for it to show up.

Under preliminary review now. Hopefully some good news comes my way.

Portal also says under preliminary review.

I am pre-writing my secondaries and I was wondering if their character limit was with or without spaces? Thank you!

I am pre-writing my secondaries and I was wondering if their character limit was with or without spaces? Thank you!

Always assume with spaces, I haven't seen a form yet that didn't include spaces in character limit. Sucks, I know!

Always assume with spaces, I haven't seen a form yet that didn't include spaces in character limit. Sucks, I know!

Just to show an exception to the rule - George Washington's character limits do not include spaces. Only school I've seen so far that does that. But yes, always assume that character limits include spaces.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to show an exception to the rule - George Washington's character limits do not include spaces. Only school I've seen so far that does that. But yes, always assume that character limits include spaces.

Awesome, thank you very much! I guess I will just assume it includes characters that way I can always add more instead of having to cut down!

Did you get an email or did you have to check the portal for this update? When were you complete?
No I have been checking the application portal. I think I've been complete here for a couple weeks now.

Status change! Got put in the pool of applicants we may interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea I found out my status on the main page for the portal. Didn't get an email though.

Crossing my fingers for a status change soon ... congrats to those of you who have progressed!

For those whose statuses have changed; when did you submit/complete?

I don't think the pool status means much actually, since apparently all the people last year got it too. It is basically a hold for now but people need to get it before an interview is extended as a transitionary phase. At least that is what I gleamed from last year's thread.

Still waiting to hear if anyone knows what the screen is

Did anyone else get small pooled? I was complete on the 7th of July as well, and no word of anything yet :(

I have no idea when I submitted / was complete.. I don't have a completed status email but I do have a completed status on the portal. -sigh- My guess would probably be the 10th or so.

If it helps anyone, it took 7 weeks for me to be "small pooled" after submitting the secondary, then another 3 weeks after that to get an invitation to interview. Everyone's time ranges varied. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 3 users
user-deleted said:
Just got my secondary in! IS applicant and trying not to fall in love with UVM too much, but it's difficult when everyone has only great things to say about the school :)

Anyone know if we are supposed to submit the application for in-state status now, or on enrolling?
Why are you trying to not fall in love with UVM?

user-deleted said:
I'm trying not to fall in love with any school until I have an acceptance in front of me...
Good MCAT and instate, you'd have to be a murderer or psychopath to not get in, haha

user-deleted said:
Just got my secondary in! IS applicant and trying not to fall in love with UVM too much, but it's difficult when everyone has only great things to say about the school :)

Anyone know if we are supposed to submit the application for in-state status now, or on enrolling?

If you are in-state, you have a really (read REALLY) great chance of being accepted as long as you handle the MMI and associated activities well. Good luck :)

user-deleted said:
Thanks! I'm trying not to count chickens, but I hope so :) Any tips for approaching the MMI?
be friendly, self aware, relaxed, and be present. It'll be a really enjoyable day, no pressure at all.

Someone please haaaalp!

What are they asking for for the "description" on a speeding ticket? Like, I was going 14 over, or is there actually a description I need to look up?

Someone please haaaalp!

What are they asking for for the "description" on a speeding ticket? Like, I was going 14 over, or is there actually a description I need to look up?

I think they just want information about when you got it, how fast you were going over, how/when it was resolved etc.

I don't think they are looking for any take away point from your ticket or an explanation for it.

I think they just want information about when you got it, how fast you were going over, how/when it was resolved etc.

I don't think they are looking for any take away point from your ticket or an explanation for it.

Thank you!

Something like "Received 01/2013, 40mph in a 35mph zone, paid within 7 business days" would be sufficient?

Anyone know if the adverse judgment includes debts? I had a credit card go into collections when I was 18 and there was a judgement on it, which I have since taken care of

Anyone leave the optional info essay blank?
I was thinking of writing "why UVM" or just discussing my plans for the next year. thoughts?

Thank you!

Something like "Received 01/2013, 40mph in a 35mph zone, paid within 7 business days" would be sufficient?
I would write exactly this but in small sentences.

Anyone leave the optional info essay blank?
I was thinking of writing "why UVM" or just discussing my plans for the next year. thoughts?

I don't remember that section being an essay question. I think it was just an additional comments box that they indicate you fill out, for example, if are using AP credit for a course requirement (there were other places on the secondary that had instructions like this).

I remember leaving it blank if it's any consolation

Last edited:
I would write exactly this but in small sentences.

I don't remember that section being an essay question. I think it was just an additional comments box that they indicate you fill out, for example, if are using AP credit for a course requirement (there were other places on the secondary that had instructions like this)

I remember leaving it blank if it's any consolation.

Ah I'll definitely reread the instructions, thanks!

Anyone know if the adverse judgment includes debts? I had a credit card go into collections when I was 18 and there was a judgement on it, which I have since taken care of

Was it from too many meals at Dorsia?

But seriously, I can offer no help to your question.

How long after submitting the secondary did it take you all to be complete ?

How long after submitting the secondary did it take you all to be complete ?
Your supplemental application has been received. Please note that it may take 6-8 weeks for all materials to be processed; at certain times of the year, it may take as many as 10-12 weeks. You should continue to periodically check on the status of your file through the Online Applicant Center. We appreciate your patience!

Is this complete?

Your supplemental application has been received. Please note that it may take 6-8 weeks for all materials to be processed; at certain times of the year, it may take as many as 10-12 weeks. You should continue to periodically check on the status of your file through the Online Applicant Center. We appreciate your patience!

Is this complete?

I think it means it's complete on your part and they just have to download LOR's and/or other things. I had that status for a while and then about a week ago it changed to this:

"We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your application is under preliminary review. This review of your file may take 6-8 weeks.
Once the review of your file is complete your status will be updated.
Please continue to check your status periodically through the Online Applicant Center. "

Ouch. I've been submitted for nearly/over two weeks at this point... :( I thought I was moving through the review process.
I think it means it's complete on your part and they just have to download LOR's and/or other things. I had that status for a while and then about a week ago it changed to this:

"We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your application is under preliminary review. This review of your file may take 6-8 weeks.
Once the review of your file is complete your status will be updated.
Please continue to check your status periodically through the Online Applicant Center. "

Got small pooled today! Feel apathetic considering nobody can really predict what this means.

Does anyone know in previous years, what percentage of applicants that submitted secondaries got small pooled? That would help immensely in determining if this actually means anything.
Basically everyone. From last years thread. Good news is that you need it to get an interview offered.

I was always curious as to why people called it a "small" pool even though it doesn't say that on the status.

Still on this status:

Does this mean I'm complete? If not, my LORs have been on AMCAS since 7/16, supplemental submitted before that. Should I call?

My status changed sometime in the past few days to 'under review'. I was at the previous status for ~3 weeks after submission.

My status changed sometime in the past few days to 'under review'. I was at the previous status for ~3 weeks after submission.

Cool, I'll just hang tight then. This process will test my patience like nothing ever has before.