2019-2020 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First time poster, long time reader and on the HPWL too!! I’ll be honest hope is starting to dim, but I’m not giving up yet!! Here’s to writing more letters of interest, calling, and emailing. It might not be the “right” thing to do, but I can’t just sit here and do nothing. I am still hoping that maybe we will all come off the HPWL this month, however slight that chance is :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First time poster, long time reader and on the HPWL too!! I’ll be honest hope is starting to dim, but I’m not giving up yet!! Here’s to writing more letters of interest, calling, and emailing. It might not be the “right” thing to do, but I can’t just sit here and do nothing. I am still hoping that maybe we will all come off the HPWL this month, however slight that chance is :)
Totally agree! Sitting and doing nothing really isn't an option I'm willing to take.. also agree with the previous post saying that an explanation would be nice but obviously we won't be getting one

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe VM had a URM withdrew his/her acceptance and they didn't have any URM on the HPWL, so they went to the WL? this could be another reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from the Waitlist today. IDK if that will help anyone but I thought id give an update. best of luck friends!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone on the HPWL not receive the email back in June indicating they are still on the HPWL? I never received this email and am unsure if this is something to be concerned about. Given the fact that there are 10+ people on SDN still on the HPWL, I'm assuming chances are slim anyway, but given that I'm a neurotic pre-med I'm concerned that this may indicate there's some sort of communication issue. Will be contacting them soon but was just curious.

I got an email just stating that I needed to let them know if I didn't want to be on their wait-list anymore.. it didn't specifically say if I didn't want to be on the HPWL anymore though

Waited as long as I possibly could ... just pulled my name off of HPWL. Good luck, all!

Reactions: 2 users
Recently accepted and was wondering for those flying in, how early will you be arriving? Sorry if this seems trivial but wanted to know if we had to arrive 2 weeks before orientation to self-quarantine.

Recently accepted and was wondering for those flying in, how early will you be arriving? Sorry if this seems trivial but wanted to know if we had to arrive 2 weeks before orientation to self-quarantine.

From what I understand, students can either quarantine for 2 weeks, or quarantine for 1 week and take a COVID test that gives a negative result

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, students can either quarantine for 2 weeks, or quarantine for 1 week and take a COVID test that gives a negative result
Thanks! Yeah, I saw that on the Vermont travel guidelines, so glad to know I'm interpreting that correctly. I wanted to arrive 1 week prior to orientation and get the test done. I just wanted to know if others were considering doing the same.

Hey all, final days but there is still movement! Accepted off the HPWL this morning!

Reactions: 8 users
For reapplying, does anyone know if they look at our old app too? I'm obv going to write new stuff, but some parts of the essays might still be relevant... I'm just not sure if it's best to totally scrap them or not. Any help is appreciated:)

For reapplying, does anyone know if they look at our old app too? I'm obv going to write new stuff, but some parts of the essays might still be relevant... I'm just not sure if it's best to totally scrap them or not. Any help is appreciated:)
I wouldn't totally scrap them! You can definitely pull the important bits from them but I'd definitely make sure they are rewritten and not just a copy of this past app

Most schools do look at both. Every reader is different but tbh you should want to make it better!!

Now that the CTE date has passed, does anyone think there will be movement off any of the waitlists?

So I am guessing they just gave us false hope with the hpwl.... so disappointed

I don’t think UVM gave false hope. In the past the HPWL was pretty much always cleared. With COVID 19 and Step 1 moving to P/F there has been a lot less wait list movement at many schools and people are choosing schools that they may not have chosen otherwise. UVM being one of those (at least for me ). UVM also represented themselves exceptionally well via multiple virtual Second Look sessions in comparison to other schools.

I wish you all the best but with classes starting so soon and many of us already in our pre-matriculation coursework and in VT, I don’t anticipate much WL movement.

That being said, this has allowed the LCOM Class of 2024 to be even stronger and I hope that you can join us very soon!

Saying objectively that the HPWL has cleared in past years is not offering “false hope”. Schools cannot control the behavior of their waitlist applicants.

Waitlist movement this year was tough. The school that I am attending took about 50 people off the HPWL in the 2018-2019 cycle. This year they took around 7 people off the HPWL as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Future applicant here... has anyone been accepted OOS with a LizzyM <70? Trying to gauge my chances, my LM is around a 65 right now.