2015-2016 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I looked at last year's thread and only one person reported being accepted on October 15th and then there was nothing until January. Also, 4 or 5 people reported getting in off the wait list late spring. My hunch is that many of us OOSers won't hear back for a while.

So they only accept OOS applicants on day one, or late? When do they wait-list?

Members don't see this ad.

So they only accept OOS applicants on day one, or late? When do they wait-list?
I'm not sure, maybe they accepted OOS throughout that time, but maybe the people they accepted weren't on sdn or didn't post about it. It looked like they sent out rejections and wait listed people on the same day in January (or maybe it was February - I don't remember). Congrats on getting in, btw!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure, maybe they accepted OOS throughout that time, but maybe the people they accepted weren't on sdn or didn't post about it. It looked like they sent out rejections and wait listed people on the same day in January (or maybe it was February - I don't remember). Congrats on getting in, btw!

Ah OK, thanks for the info. And thank you for the congrats. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure, maybe they accepted OOS throughout that time, but maybe the people they accepted weren't on sdn or didn't post about it. It looked like they sent out rejections and wait listed people on the same day in January (or maybe it was February - I don't remember).

Second the thanks for info. OOS here but currently my top choice, interviewed in September and no decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Working overnight, so hopefully I get off in the morning to read about a lot of prematches. Good luck Texans! :xf:

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED!!!!! So excited, this is my top choice!!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted!!! IS, interviewed 10/12

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted too! Oh my gosh yesssssssssssssss

Congrats to everyone else who had some good news and good luck to all still waiting

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agggghhh!!! Accepted!!!!! Congrats y'all and good luck to those still waiting! Email at 12:40.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted :)!!!! Good luck to everyone.

accepted at 12:41!!! absolutely loved my interview day here so I'm very happy

Congrats to everyone! So excited to not be the only accepted student in this thread. :)

Congrats to everyone accepted! Are any of you OOS? I know it's pre match day, but I'm curious if they accepted OOSers also.

Accepted! IS LizzyM= ~71 ...I have a really difficult effing decision to make now.

Will be withdrawing from my interview - I wish those still awaiting a II good luck.

I've matched some other places but haven't heard back from UTSA. Do you know if they send out acceptances yesterday and that's it??
Or do I still have a shot for prematch?

Does anyone know what UTSA's Step 1 Average Score was from this past summer for MS3's this year?

I am OOS, but I was accepted a month ago, not in this batch.

I remember, congrats again! I was interested in recent OOS admissions, because I haven't heard of any being admitted since the first batch. Thanks for the reply though.

I remember, congrats again! I was interested in recent OOS admissions, because I haven't heard of any being admitted since the first batch. Thanks for the reply though.

Ah, I figured as much, but wasn't sure. :oops:

I was interested in recent OOS admissions, because I haven't heard of any being admitted since the first batch.

I'm with you, hoping that those in-state acceptances have other fantastic offers, pull out from SA and they show us OOS love :cat:

I'm with you, hoping that those in-state acceptances have other fantastic offers, pull out from SA and they show us OOS love :cat:
Unfortunately, I don't think it works that way because only 10 percent of their class can be OOS. However, I'm confident there are still OOS seats available.

Did anyone get a sample schedule for UTHSCSA at their II? I only remember Dr. Jones saying students were in lecture 8-10 hrs a week.

Unexpected, but just received an IS II! So excited to see this school! Available dates are the 4 next Mondays (11/23, 11/30, 12/7 and 12/14).

What makes you confident of that?
Looking over threads from previous years, there were OOSers accepted on the first Monday after Christmas. Also, I think they interview OOSers into December.

Unexpected, but just received an IS II! So excited to see this school! Available dates are the 4 next Mondays (11/23, 11/30, 12/7 and 12/14).

Wow this is so unexpected indeed! I remember in September they started booking November dates so I was anticipating they were almost close to being done with IIs. I just received an II from UTMB this week really hoping I get a chance to interview at UTSA as well!

Congratulations on y'all's acceptances to UTHSCSA SOM Class of 2020! We are very excited for you to begin your journey to become future physicians. The current medical students are excited to answer any questions you may have. Please make sure to join the FB group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/950989391627339/

If you are waiting to hear back good news from us, hold on tight! As many of you already know, you'll find out in early February and can be taken off the waitlist during the summer before school starts. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

-Akshay, MS1

Last edited:
Wow this is so unexpected indeed! I remember in September they started booking November dates so I was anticipating they were almost close to being done with IIs. I just received an II from UTMB this week really hoping I get a chance to interview at UTSA as well!

That's awesome, I've seen you posting and I am so excited for you!!!! Best of luck to you :)

Still waiting for II
MCAT 30 and 3.6 GPA.
Should I hope or not?

Still waiting for II
MCAT 30 and 3.6 GPA.
Should I hope or not?

Are you IS or OOS? If IS I wouldn't lose hope! My friend, who is an MSI at UTHSCSA, got his II around this time last year. People start cancelling interviews around now if they pre match. I'm not sure what the OOS protocols are.

Still waiting for II
MCAT 30 and 3.6 GPA.
Should I hope or not?

My MCAT is lower than yours and I have a II, my GPA is about the same, lots of research and other EC though. I hope you get a II.

My MCAT is lower than yours and I have a II, my GPA is about the same, lots of research and other EC though. I hope you get a II.
That's great news for me as well. Just sitting with silence from all of the UT schools is maddening. Hoped that the in-town school would give me the first chance.

So would an letter of interest possibly help with securing an II? And is it too late in the season to receive an II from this school? I'm still really hoping to hear back from A&M, UT:H, and UT:SA but I'm not really holding my breath as I have a mediocre GPA and MCAT of 3.5 and 28. But LOTS of leadership/volunteering/shadowing so wondering if a LoI would help. I have only heard back from UNT and UTRGV so far.

So would an letter of interest possibly help with securing an II? And is it too late in the season to receive an II from this school? I'm still really hoping to hear back from A&M, UT:H, and UT:SA but I'm not really holding my breath as I have a mediocre GPA and MCAT of 3.5 and 28. But LOTS of leadership/volunteering/shadowing so wondering if a LoI would help. I have only heard back from UNT and UTRGV so far.
I can't imagine it would hurt.

How do you write these? Basically say what I've been doing this year, how I'm doing academically and in my leadership positions and plans on doing research next semester? And then say how their school aligns with what I am looking for and hope to introduce myself one day and interview for their class of 2020?

You can try sending one, but I was told early on that UTHSCSA didn't accept them. You can't just send letters to schools randomly, you need to ask them if they are receptive to them first or your letter may just end up in the trash. Just make a quick call or send an email to the admissions committee.