2015-2016 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm flying out right after the interview does anyone know if they let you keep a bag anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there not a section in TMDSAS that you get when you are a re-applicant? Would they not see that?
I think (interviewers) are only provided with your essays and demographics so they are not biased. If someone else could chime in who knows more

Is there not a section in TMDSAS that you get when you are a re-applicant? Would they not see that?

The selection committee members do see the entire application, including re-applicant status. These are the faculty who decide whom to interview and, later, accept. The faculty and MS4's doing only interviews have your picture, your DOB, your undergrad institution and hometown, and essays.

So I'm flying out right after the interview does anyone know if they let you keep a bag anywhere?

Absolutely. Bring your bag with you and ask where you can put it during check-in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my first II of this cycle! OOS, first date available was in September :clap: Did not expect my first to be in TX but excited to check it out!

Reactions: 1 users
II!! Submitted June 1, "received" July 1. This is my target school so I am super happy. Good luck to all of you!!!!:banana:

Reactions: 2 users
Just had my II yesterday. Was really impressed with the school! I'm also wondering if anyone is writing thank you cards since they specifically included the address to where thank you cards should be sent in our interview packets? :O

Is it too late to send in a primary here? And am I at a disadvantage if I send through AMCAS?

Is it too late to send in a primary here? And am I at a disadvantage if I send through AMCAS?
Don't think you can apply through AMCAS. You have to go through TMDSAS. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

@caligirl067 I don't think it'd be too late to send in a primary, but San Antonio requires app through TMDSAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been asked, but not answered... Did anyone with IIs here take the new MCAT? Or did most have scores from the old test?

I don't know about the new MCAT, but I think the II is purely based on scores. I got an interview almost immediately after I submitted my secondary. They might still be trying to figure out how the new MCAT scores compare. When it comes down to it I think the time you submit is way more important than the day you interview, so if your scores are comparable (check percentile), I wouldn't be concerned.

Last edited:
I don't know about the new MCAT, but I do know the II is purely based on scores. I got an interview almost immediately after I submitted my secondary. They might still be trying to figure out how the new MCAT scores compare. When it comes down to it I think the time you submit is way more important than the day you interview, so if your scores are comparable (check percentile), I wouldn't be concerned.

Based on the people I've seen getting II (MCAT 32+), I would say 512-513 would be equivalent.

I don't know about the new MCAT, but I do know the II is purely based on scores. I got an interview almost immediately after I submitted my secondary. They might still be trying to figure out how the new MCAT scores compare. When it comes down to it I think the time you submit is way more important than the day you interview, so if your scores are comparable (check percentile), I wouldn't be concerned.
What secondary? San Antonio has a secondary??

Also my scores are above a bunch of people that got IIs already so I don't think it's just scores :( though I do have a non traditional thing that might take them longer to process.

Edit: and I also submitted earlier than some of the people that got IIs

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the II is based only on scores?

What secondary? San Antonio has a secondary??

Also my scores are above a bunch of people that got IIs already so I don't think it's just scores :( though I do have a non traditional thing that might take them longer to process.

Edit: and I also submitted earlier than some of the people that got IIs

Crap, sorry no secondary. Wrong school. However, I did get an interview here very quickly (Probably not enough time to consider my entire application). They say at the interview that scores get you in the door and the interview does the rest.

It is not based solely on scores. On interview day, we were told by Dr. Jones that there are two cuts before II. First, there's some cutoff value of GPA x MCAT (he didn't state what value). This reduces the total number of applicants by 50%. Then there is a second look at the applications. Two different reviewers will look and have to give a thumbs up. This review is based on extracurriculars--it seemed numbers are no longer a factor at this point. This reduces the applicant pool to 20% of the (initial, pre-first cut) total number.

FWIW, I think this is for IS applicants. Dr. Jones didn't talk about the process for OOS. I'm not sure if that means the process is the same or just more nebulous and not discussed.

Sorry, I was trying to ask how you know interview invites are only based on scores.

It was an assumption based on speed on how quickly I got an II, but what SweetCaroline7 said makes sense. Sorry to be misleading!

Reactions: 1 user
It was an assumption based on speed on how quickly I got an II, but what SweetCaroline7 said makes sense. Sorry to be misleading!
No problem. I was just curious because I submitted 7/1 but I haven't heard anything and my scores are above what you had listed. I'm oos though, so I'm sure that has an impact.

No problem. I was just curious because I submitted 7/1 but I haven't heard anything and my scores are above what you had listed. I'm oos though, so I'm sure that has an impact.

Yeah, I think there's a 90% rule or something like that for Texas schools (excluding Baylor). If your scores are higher than most of the people in the first few interviews, then I'm sure you'll get an II. Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything from the MD/PhD program? I designated them on AMCAS on 7/27 but never got any sort of a receipt. OOS, LizzyM around 71 if that helps. Have heard literally nothing from either SA or Houston.

Has anyone heard anything from the MD/PhD program? I designated them on AMCAS on 7/27 but never got any sort of a receipt. OOS, LizzyM around 71 if that helps. Have heard literally nothing from either SA or Houston.

At our interview day the dean said you guys interview later.

It is not based solely on scores. On interview day, we were told by Dr. Jones that there are two cuts before II. First, there's some cutoff value of GPA x MCAT (he didn't state what value). This reduces the total number of applicants by 50%. Then there is a second look at the applications. Two different reviewers will look and have to give a thumbs up. This review is based on extracurriculars--it seemed numbers are no longer a factor at this point. This reduces the applicant pool to 20% of the (initial, pre-first cut) total number.

FWIW, I think this is for IS applicants. Dr. Jones didn't talk about the process for OOS. I'm not sure if that means the process is the same or just more nebulous and not discussed.
Do you think an application is reviewed after the first numeric cut-off more than once?
My only concern is if I have made it past the numeric cut-off. My most recent MCAT was a 31, which is a retake from a 25 earlier. I'm just hoping to God that my 25 has not filtered my app out.
Transmitted 7/16, got Review email from UTSA on 7/22. I have what you would call decent ECs, 3.9 GPA, but still no IIs from any TX school yet :(

Do you think an application is reviewed after the first numeric cut-off more than once?
My only concern is if I have made it past the numeric cut-off. My most recent MCAT was a 31, which is a retake from a 25 earlier. I'm just hoping to God that my 25 has not filtered my app out.
Transmitted 7/16, got Review email from UTSA on 7/22. I have what you would call decent ECs, 3.9 GPA, but still no IIs from any TX school yet :(

I'm sorry, I'm honestly not sure. It seemed like the first cut was based purely on numbers, but I don't know if they go through the apps that don't meet the cutoff to look for circumstances like yours. Maybe you could call them to see how they treat multiple MCAT scores? It might just give you peace of mind while you wait (because I think this is just that, waiting! I don't think you're out of luck here.) The interview cycle is still so young, and your stats look great when you consider that retake. I looked back at my timeline and I waited about 6 weeks from the under review/complete email to II. I hope that helps!

I'm sorry, I'm honestly not sure. It seemed like the first cut was based purely on numbers, but I don't know if they go through the apps that don't meet the cutoff to look for circumstances like yours. Maybe you could call them to see how they treat multiple MCAT scores? It might just give you peace of mind while you wait (because I think this is just that, waiting! I don't think you're out of luck here.) The interview cycle is still so young, and your stats look great when you consider that retake. I looked back at my timeline and I waited about 6 weeks from the under review/complete email to II. I hope that helps!

This is weird because when Dr. Jones came to my school to talk about UTHSCSA, he said that every application would be looked at in its entirety in accordance with their holistic approach to admitting students. Did he tell you this specifically, or are you just speculating?

This is weird because when Dr. Jones came to my school to talk about UTHSCSA, he said that every application would be looked at in its entirety in accordance with their holistic approach to admitting students. Did he tell you this specifically, or are you just speculating?

He specifically stated that they receive ~5000 applications, the first round of cuts is based on GPAxMCAT (yes, multiplication of the two--I noted it because I had never heard of a multiplication of the two being used), and that first round reduces their applicant pool to 2500. Then there is a holistic review and they end up with anywhere from 800-1100 interviewees. He said the average was 1000 offered II.

I'm not sure if maybe this is their new policy, since Dr. Jones is retiring this year?

@SweetCaroline7

At my interview day I thought he said they "did not simply just make cuts based on GPA x MCAT?"

I could be wrong of course, but I thought he said they first screened off of some academic standards he would not disclose. He made it sound like a more in-depth academic screen than the above, based on their wide range of accepted numbers.

He then said the second screen, which cuts down to ~1000 is the holistic review, based on activities and essays.

So I think that @texan2414 would not be screened based on an old MCAT.

@SweetCaroline7

At my interview day I thought he said they "did not simply just make cuts based on GPA x MCAT?"

I could be wrong of course, but I thought he said they first screened off of some academic standards he would not disclose. He made it sound like a more in-depth academic screen than the above, based on their wide range of accepted numbers.

He then said the second screen, which cuts down to ~1000 is the holistic review, based on activities and essays.

So I think that @texan2414 would not be screened based on an old MCAT.

I really don't want to cause uneasy feelings. What I said was just a mix of stuff I wrote down and other stuff I remembered. I could be wrong too, and I definitely didn't mean to imply that @texan2414 would be screened out based on the old MCAT. Not at all. Sorry if that's how it came across, texan2414! Is there a current student on the adcom here? Maybe they can clear it up.

He said they screen to see if you could academically handle medical school by looking at grades, mcat, the courses you were taking, ECs while in school and how you balance your time. I believe

Edit: he said they do not have some gpa x mcat formula, and the tone he used when he said that made it seem as if he would disapprove of such a formula

Yeah, to me doing the MCAT x GPA wouldn't work out because some people have the new MCAT and some have the old. Unless they have some complex algorithm that coverts the two into one or the other. We will see though. I've heard of people with low GPAs and MCAT scores together get interviews, so I guess it depends on other factors as well. So difficult to understand how they choose applicants!! :confused:

Yeah, to me doing the MCAT x GPA wouldn't work out because some people have the new MCAT and some have the old. Unless they have some complex algorithm that coverts the two into one or the other. We will see though. I've heard of people with low GPAs and MCAT scores together get interviews, so I guess it depends on other factors as well. So difficult to understand how they choose applicants!! :confused:
Good point!

I think at the end of the day, I'm being overly neurotic.... I am still quite hopeful :)

Good point!

I think at the end of the day, I'm being overly neurotic.... I am still quite hopeful :)

I think all of us are a little too neurotic haha. But it's okay because it shows we care about our future, right? Good luck! :D

Yeah, I'm overanalyzing pretty much everything nowadays. Case in point, my last post! :confused:
@texan2414, keep us updated and good luck! :luck:

So I got the under review email around July 1 and have not received an II. I know that it's still early on in interview season, but I am getting a feeling that I'm not getting an invite. Any thoughts on this?

So I got the under review email around July 1 and have not received an II. I know that it's still early on in interview season, but I am getting a feeling that I'm not getting an invite. Any thoughts on this?
I'm on the exact same boat as you. No clue what's going on.

Firstly, if you take a look at last years threads, a&m in particular, you will see people who transmitted in June/early July get II's in Nov/Dec then match. Looking at how the application cycle turned out for those individuals brings me hope, especially since they, like us, appear to lose hope after so much silence.

On another note, I am in the same position as @bate16-- TMDSAS transmitted 6/30/2015 and no II :( . It doesn't even appear to be due to stats. I have seen @idontknowwhatnametopick post her stats on other threads and they are way higher than mine. Yet, we are in the same boat.

Needless to say, I have begun to prepare for an MCAT retake, lol.

Last edited:
I'm going to quote @SweetCaroline7 here from what she said on the Tech Lubbock Thread:

"I know this is really hard to do, but I truly believe the schools have a method to their madness. I was complete several weeks before you, my LizzyM is several points higher, and I only just heard from Lubbock this past week. I think they are trying to create a diverse group for each interview day, and I don't mean just in terms of demographics. They probably want a mix of non-trads and trads, different majors, undergraduate schools, etc. I say this as someone who was very worried prior to getting my invite, but this last II in particular has made me realize that there's a process in place, and that process does not necessarily prioritize stats or complete date. Keep on holding on to hope, and I'm sending you good luck! :luck:"

Bottom line is: It's almost September. Calm down. You have about 5 more months of possible interview dates so breathe. I know it's hard, but this entire process is a waiting game and you need to understand and accept this.

Reactions: 2 users