2015-2016 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also picked 8/10

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i picked 8/3. i thought earlier was better. is that not true?

Members don't see this ad :)
i picked 8/3. i thought earlier was better. is that not true?

Yes, it is true. I just have A&M on the 30th and I have to work on the 3rd. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Wow good for you! They're so tough with OOS that a friend of mine applied OOS and got literally NOTHING, she waited a year to get residency, applied with the same stats and now goes to UTSW.

Wow! To be honest, that is pretty much the response I expected.

I have wanted to move to Texas for a while, so I thought this cycle would be a good chance to "throw a hail Mary" and see what happened. Getting an invite from some of these schools is amazing. I realize how fortunate I am.

I am choosing 8/10, but need to confirm with work tomorrow before I select.

Last edited:

I have wanted to move to Texas for a while, so I thought this cycle would be a good chance to "throw a hail Mary" and see what happened. Getting an invite from some of these schools is amazing. I realize how fortunate I am.

I am choosing 8/17, but need to confirm with work tomorrow before I select.

I had thought about going earlier, but I currently live in Baltimore so I would have to take several days off work to make the trip affordable. Plus my parents would kill me if I didn't stay for a while. The 24th was the easiest in that respect.

Yes, it is true. I just have A&M on the 30th and I have to work on the 3rd. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

What makes you say that earlier is better?

I am choosing 8/17, but need to confirm with work tomorrow before I select.

If you made your desire to move to TX clear that probably helped as well. A big reason for taking so many IS applicants is because they know a lot of us will stay, or at least come back after residency.

If you made your desire to move to TX clear that probably helped as well. A big reason for taking so many IS applicants is because they know a lot of us will stay, or at least come back after residency.

I don't think I did that yet though; hopefully in the interview I can.

I used the optional TMDSAS essay to discuss my low GPA and left the residency essay blank.

I had thought about going earlier, but I currently live in Baltimore so I would have to take several days off work to make the trip affordable. Plus my parents would kill me if I didn't stay for a while. The 24th was the easiest in that respect.

I understand, I am flying from California. I am also flying to DFW next week for my TCOM and A&M interviews. Lots of Texas trips!

What makes you say that earlier is better?

Picking an earlier date shows you're enthusiastic about the school and are eager to attend. I don't think there's a huge advantage to attend early, but if two applicants are given dates to pick and one picks a date in early August and another picks a date in September, the August applicant could come across as more eager. I don't know--just my two cents.

Picking an earlier date shows you're enthusiastic about the school and are eager to attend. I don't think there's a huge advantage to attend early, but if two applicants are given dates to pick and one picks a date in early August and another picks a date in September, the August applicant could come across as more eager. I don't know--just my two cents.
Hopefully they understand that for OOS applicants, it's incredibly expensive to fly with less than a few weeks' notice.

Well I hope they don't think that for me. I just picked the one that would be the easiest to coordinate with work, which was the one with the most notice available.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u for ur insightful comments. ur status as a premed student is rly useful.

Sooo did anyone not receive anything from San Antonio yet, or just me? I submitted TMDSAS on 7/1, but haven't received a receipt/anything from San Antonio, even though I've heard back from every other Texas school. I'm OOS, so maybe that means they just screened me out immediately..?

Did everyone receive an II via email? I missed a call from a Texas area code today. Unfortunately, nobody answered when I called back. :(

Sooo did anyone not receive anything from San Antonio yet, or just me? I submitted TMDSAS on 7/1, but haven't received a receipt/anything from San Antonio, even though I've heard back from every other Texas school. I'm OOS, so maybe that means they just screened me out immediately..?
My TMDSAS was verified and transmitted on 6/30 and San Antonio emailed me the next day to say I was under review (or something like that to say they got my app). Maybe give them a call to check that they got your app? But first look through your spam folder, and all your little automatic folders that your email address has and that you have no idea even exist.

My TMDSAS was verified and transmitted on 6/30 and San Antonio emailed me the next day to say I was under review (or something like that to say they got my app). Maybe give them a call to check that they got your app? But first look through your spam folder, and all your little automatic folders that your email address has and that you have no idea even exist.

Don't freak out just yet. My primary was transmitted by TMDSAS on 5/28 and I didn't get an email back from San Antonio until July 1st. If you're worried, just call. The admissions lady was very nice and helpful :)

Thanks guys, I guess I'll wait another week or so, re-rummage through my emails, and then give em a call after that!

Did everyone receive an II via email? I missed a call from a Texas area code today. Unfortunately, nobody answered when I called back. :(

No phone call for me, just an email with the invite and portal access.

Just got II here over email. Had every Monday in August available for interviews still when I went in to select. Super excited as it's my first II and I love San Antonio and the school!

IS, LizzyM 70, nontrad, TMDSAS submitted 6/7 and transmitted 6/24.

Hope that helps! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 3 users
II!!!!! OOS LizzyM of 68 (non-trad nurse). So excited!

Reactions: 5 users
Just received a II! First in TX and first MD. LizzyM of ~65

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! when were you complete?
I got the "we have your stuff" email from UTSA in the first week of June...so it's been awhile. I submitted TMDSAS like May 21st.

got II IS at 5 pm!! In case people are wondering. Lizzy 70

Reactions: 2 users
II, OOS. Was the earliest date available for Aug 10? I am flying in for an interview at UNT on August 4th so I am wondering if San Antonio ever had dates open for Aug 3? or was the earliest possible for everyone on the 10th?

II, OOS. Was the earliest date available for Aug 10? I am flying in for an interview at UNT on August 4th so I am wondering if San Antonio ever had dates open for Aug 3? or was the earliest possible for everyone on the 10th?

When I got my II a few days ago there was 8/3, 8/10, 8/17, and 8/24.

I would think one accompanied the phone call. You should also look up the number. 210 is San Antonio's area code. That's not too helpful, but it's a start haha

My II was email only. The only school I have heard of, so far, that calls applicants is Rutgers. Although I would look up the admissions office number and compare to your missed call just to be safe!

Anyone know whether UTHSC has mandatory attendance and/or online lectures? I can't find anything about it on their websites

I just finished talking about this with my friend who goes to UTHSC. They live stream the lectures so you do not have to go if you do not want to. It's a preference.

First II. (3.6, 30) non-trad
TMDSAS sub 5/25
Complete email 6/11
Took the 8/10 date

Does anyone have the link showing the interviews offered, accepted, stats etc. for the TMDSAS schools? I saw it recently but I can't find it.

First II. (3.6, 30) non-trad
TMDSAS sub 5/25
Complete email 6/11
Took the 8/10 date

Does anyone have the link showing the interviews offered, accepted, stats etc. for the TMDSAS schools? I saw it recently but I can't find it.
Available on MSAR. I think UTSA interviewed about 1,100 applicants from about 4,100 last year...admitted like 200. Median GPA of 3.76 and MCAT of 32. Seems like they interview a lot of folks!

Does anyone know if this school conducts blind interviews or are they open file?

First II!!

In state
Non-trad
MPH
LizzyM 65 (undergrad)
Submitted 5/31
Received II via email today, 7/23
Interviewing August 3rd

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just got II here over email. Had every Monday in August available for interviews still when I went in to select. Super excited as it's my first II and I love San Antonio and the school!

IS, LizzyM 70, nontrad, TMDSAS submitted 6/7 and transmitted 6/24.

Hope that helps! Good luck to all!
Did you get a Review email from UTSA after you were transmitted? If so when did you get that email?

Thanks,

Did you get a Review email from UTSA after you were transmitted? If so when did you get that email?

Thanks,
I got an application received email on July 1 and that's the only mail I received from them before the II.

Interview Invite on 7/23. OOS applicant from Minnesota.

OOS, also deciding on an interview date between 8/17/ and 8/24. What are people doing for housing/ is there some network to get student hosts/ anyone with friends on SA campus? I'm from NYC and may potentially be lost from lack for transportation in Texas lol

Very excited to report I got an II this Thursday, as well. First one in Texas! I will be there 8/10. Is there already a post in this thread about what the interview is like? Open vs closed file?

Reactions: 5 users
Very excited to report I got an II this Thursday, as well. First one in Texas! I will be there 8/10. Is there already a post in this thread about what the interview is like? Open vs closed file?
Yay congratulations I'm so happy for you! (And everyone else but you just seem to be a particularly nice person)

Also interested in a thread like this if it exists. I checked the 2014-2015 thread but did not find much info. Really, UTSA's website isn't that helpful, either.

Yay congratulations I'm so happy for you! (And everyone else but you just seem to be a particularly nice person)

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say :) I am pretty thrilled to have the opportunity. Hopefully everyone waiting will get their chance too; somewhere, if not here.

Reactions: 2 users