2015-2016 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you, that's very nice of you to say :) I am pretty thrilled to have the opportunity. Hopefully everyone waiting will get their chance too; somewhere, if not here.

Congratulations! Must be exciting. :)

What day was your application transmitted?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! Must be exciting. :)

What day was your application transmitted?

Thanks!

My app was transmitted 5/5, although my optional third letter was missing until a little later that month. Everything was complete before 6/1 and I received the "application received" email on 6/10.

It's made me so anxious that my committee packet wasn't sent out till last week. I know it's early, but I feel like it made me fall so behind :(
I know right? Mine was sent a month after i submitted my app... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

My app was transmitted 5/5, although my optional third letter was missing until a little later that month. Everything was complete before 6/1 and I received the "application received" email on 6/10.

That's exciting! You were on top of it lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I am so late to the party. My TMDSAS was transmitted on July 15th and I got the review email 7/24. Congrats to all those getting interviews, I hope I still get to interview early-ish.

Dang. They got back to you pretty quickly though. TMDSAS transmitted May 28 and I didn't get UTSA email till July 1
I think the committees didn't meet until mid-June. But I am thankful for the quick turnover between transmission and under review email haha.

@txmed93 I am. anyone have any info on how the interview is?
yes, I'm an MS1 here. Have any questions? They haven't asked us yet but I believe some of us will offer a place to stay and will be eating lunch with yall. The interview format is generally one with a faculty member and one with a MS4. The faculty one is partially open app. They have access to your essays.

Reactions: 2 users
yes, I'm an MS1 here. Have any questions? They haven't asked us yet but I believe some of us will offer a place to stay and will be eating lunch with yall. The interview format is generally one with a faculty member and one with a MS4. The faculty one is partially open app. They have access to your essays.

Thank you for this! I'm sure we all really appreciate the tips. Can you talk about how you felt during the interviews? Did they feel like stress interviews? Lots of behavior interview questions? Do you remember if you were given your interviewer's name ahead of time?

Thank you for this! I'm sure we all really appreciate the tips. Can you talk about how you felt during the interviews? Did they feel like stress interviews? Lots of behavior interview questions? Do you remember if you were given your interviewer's name ahead of time?

The interviews are relaxed. You'll be asked about memorable events in your life, why you want to be a physician, where you envision healthcare in 10 years, etc. The ones given by students are more abstract. I was asked what animal I would be if I could be one, my favorite book, etc. it had less to do with the medical field and was more informal. You get the interviewer names when you check in and you won't be interviewed until after lunch. Something to think about, pack a travel size of mouth wash and keep it in your pocket. This way you don't have bad after lunch break while interviewing. I did this last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my interview day today and can second what txmed93 said above about the relaxed atmosphere of my interviews and those of one or two other students I got to know over the course of the day. From what I gathered, however, it seemed like the more "non-traditional" students were paired with more relaxed interviewers; we felt like we were simply having a conversation about our experiences.

Students who were still in school, or perhaps might be considered "traditional," received more questions about minor ethical dilemmas, or questions that tested aspects of their applications, and were generally pressed by interviewers to gauge their reactions. That being said, these were only the comments of four or five students and, therefore, may not be representative at all of the entire group. It could just be that certain interviewers learned more from that style of questioning. Additionally, these students did not necessarily feel like they did poorly in the interview, only that they left scratching their heads and a little unsure of what to make of the interactions. Take what you want from my observations.

Overall, I think describing the interview day at UTHSCSA as "relaxed" is right on. I came into the day pretty nervous and a little self-conscious as a "non-trad" student, but Dr. Jones, the associate dean of admissions, did a great job of putting us all at ease and reassuring us that we were invited because we had already demonstrated we fit the school from an academics standpoint. And the current medical students volunteering to chaperone us were all exceedingly welcoming and full of helpful information.

I have certainly moved UTHSCSA way up on my short list of choices.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for the input, y'all!

Super chill day. Impressed by the school. Faculty interview was pretty informal and tacky honestly and not at all what I expected. Others had different experiences.

@texaspremed1 @JCrewton

Were you done by 4?

I am trying to figure out if a 6:45 departure from SAT is safe. I think so, as it seems to only be about 20 minutes away.

Thanks!

@texaspremed1 @JCrewton

Were you done by 4?

I am trying to figure out if a 6:45 departure from SAT is safe. I think so, as it seems to only be about 20 minutes away.

Thanks!
I was there yesterday too. The social went until 4, but it was very informal and many people left before then. I left at about 345, so being out by 4 is definitely doable.

The school was awesome, loved everything about the day. Good luck and hope you have a great time!

I was there yesterday too. The social went until 4, but it was very informal and many people left before then. I left at about 345, so being out by 4 is definitely doable.

The school was awesome, loved everything about the day. Good luck and hope you have a great time!

Thanks sloth! I am looking forward to it.

Interview on Monday, Aug 31st. I've heard lots of praise for this school so interested in seeing first-hand what San Antonio has to offer.

Interview on Monday, Aug 31st. I've heard lots of praise for this school so interested in seeing first-hand what San Antonio has to offer.
Do you mind sharing when you received the under review email?

I received the application received/under review email on 7/24

Received my under review email on 07/01 too :oops: Starting to lose hope.
Just have to keep telling myself its too early in the cycle to be sure....but an II or two would be nice:(

Received my under review on 7/1 and still nothing...

Do they just mix all the applications together in no specific order? Or do they give people with higher stats priority? Honestly I think looking at these threads makes me so much more nervous, but I can't help but look lol.

I need a prescription for Ativan ASAP. :hungover:

Do they just mix all the applications together in no specific order? Or do they give people with higher stats priority? Honestly I think looking at these threads makes me so much more nervous, but I can't help but look lol.

I need a prescription for Ativan ASAP. :hungover:
Well my stats are pretty darn high so I doubt they give people with higher stats priority.

Received my under review email on 07/01 too :oops: Starting to lose hope.
Just have to keep telling myself its too early in the cycle to be sure....but an II or two would be nice:(
Honestly, I got one II last week, felt great for a day, and went right back to worrying the next day... But it is definitely too early to be justifiably worried.

I've noticed II trickling out slower in TX relative to previous years. Ad coms in Houston said they have taken longer comprehending new MCAT scores. Also, it's important to keep in perspective that it's only the first week of August and the interview season is barely kicking off.

To those who interviewed last week, was there a Sunday night social? Reading through last year's thread and there are multiple mentions of a Sunday night social. I just want to make sure I didn't miss the email! :)

To those who interviewed last week, was there a Sunday night social? Reading through last year's thread and there are multiple mentions of a Sunday night social. I just want to make sure I didn't miss the email! :)
No Sunday night social for the day I interviewed either. Maybe they replaced it with the end of day social this year?

That does make sense, although there's also a post from last year mentioning a day-of mix and mingle after the interview day. :shrug: But good to know I am not missing an email about it, thanks @simplesloth!

Well my stats are pretty darn high so I doubt they give people with higher stats priority.

Honestly, I got one II last week, felt great for a day, and went right back to worrying the next day... But it is definitely too early to be justifiably worried.
I feel the same way. Got one II, then right back to worrying. It's way to early to be justifiably anxious. This whole process seems to have made me into somewhat of a neurotic. I'm already planning my strategy for next year. Changes I want to make to my PS, etc. It's utter lunacy I know, but it's completely out of my control.

Currently in SA with my girlfriend visiting her family. We drove by the campus last night. Hoping for some OOS love!
How long after y'all got the application received email did you hear back?

For those with future interview days (interviewed here 8/10):
-Can confirm that interviewers only have your essays. They don't have your activity/EC/work descriptions, but do have your optional essays, so not just the PS.
-Very laid back and relaxed interview day. Speaking from personal experience, this was a perfect first interview.
-Most people I talked to interviewed with one student (MS4) and either a faculty MD or someone in administration. We were explicitly told the MS4 interviewers have a full vote in the admissions decision.
-I did hear from several traditional students that they were given ethical scenarios and pushed a little more for the "why medicine" part of the interview. It did seem like their interviewers were slightly harder on them, but that could have been a coincidence or too small of a sample size on my end :)
-This has been said before, but Dr. Jones did state that once you are at the interview, you have passed their screen for GPA/MCAT (20% of applicants pass). Once you are at the interview, your numbers will not determine whether you are accepted.

If anyone has questions that won't compromise the integrity of the interview, I'd be happy to answer them!

Reactions: 6 users
-Can confirm that interviewers only have your essays. They don't have your activity/EC/work descriptions, but do have your optional essays, so not just the PS.
-Very laid back and relaxed interview day. Speaking from personal experience, this was a perfect first interview.
-Most people I talked to interviewed with one student (MS4) and either a faculty MD or someone in administration. We were explicitly told the MS4 interviewers have a full vote in the admissions decision.
-I did hear from several traditional students that they were given ethical scenarios and pushed a little more for the "why medicine" part of the interview. It did seem like their interviewers were slightly harder on them, but that could have been a coincidence or too small of a sample size on my end :)
-This has been said before, but Dr. Jones did state that once you are at the interview, you have passed their screen for GPA/MCAT (20% of applicants pass). Once you are at the interview, your numbers will not determine whether you are accepted.

If anyone has questions that won't compromise the integrity of the interview, I'd be happy to answer them!
Great information thank you so much!

The "why medicine" and scenario-based questions aren't intentionally asked more frequently to "traditional" applicants. But non-trads will usually (not always) have a more unique backstory which makes for natural conversation fodder, leaving less time for any cliched questions. But don't be nervous about being asked an ethical question! The interviewers are looking for reasons to love you - I promise! Such questions are easy golden opportunities to give your interviewer something specific to write about that demonstrates your good character.

Is there any way to prepare for those ethical scenario questions? Thanks!

Is there any way to prepare for those ethical scenario questions? Thanks!

Not really. Most of them were common sense though...the two I heard floating around at UTHSCSA were "a girl in your class has all her mcat materials stolen--what do you do?" I was asked in my interview "you notice your TA is stealing lab materials and taking them home--what do you do?"

None of the ethical questions are typically very hard. If you are unsure always remember the patient comes first; no matter what.

Not really. Most of them were common sense though...the two I heard floating around at UTHSCSA were "a girl in your class has all her mcat materials stolen--what do you do?" I was asked in my interview "you notice your TA is stealing lab materials and taking them home--what do you do?"

None of the ethical questions are typically very hard. If you are unsure always remember the patient comes first; no matter what.
Thanks for the help! And your user name is great!

Did any of you that received II's take the new MCAT? I'm just curious if they are extending invites more quickly to those who took the old test.

Do the interviewers know if you are a re-applicant or not when they are doing the interview with you?