2015-2016 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't send the letter on his behalf. I would have your writer submit to the admissions committee.

Unrelated question for anyone out there: how many students are typically scheduled for each interview day?

Hi! There were about 30 people.

Members don't see this ad.

is it even worth sending an update if we're decision pending? i mean i know its so unlikely but...a part of me just doesn't want to give up

If you have something substantial, why not send in a genuine letter. You don't want to have any regret by the end of the cycle. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
would any current student help take a picture of the gym at Barringer Hall?

Much Appreciated!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

There's definitely a barbell rack in the bottom picture

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm regretting not just going to business school and being done with all this :D

Honestly if I knew what I know now back when I was a freshman in college I just would have tried to go into some type of consulting, probably biotech. So much less painful of a process to get there.

Reactions: 1 users
Not that I remember. It's really just for cardio and light lifting. I used it once and then just upgraded to the school gym.
Just googled barbell only to find out that free weights =/= barbell. Boy, shows how much time I spend in the gym :D

Just googled barbell only to find out that free weights =/= barbell. Boy, shows how much time I spend in the gym :D

You might be talking about Dumbbells

There are a limited number of partial scholarships for URM students. There are also some small institutional loans that have lower interest rates than federal ones and they accrue no interest while in school. More than half of students borrow the full cost of attendance or close to it and fall into the $200k+ debt category.

When you say partial scholarships, how much do you mean? Like $2k, 10k, ?? I'm trying to choose between Jeff and a state school in NY..granted the state school would obviously be cheaper but I'm URM (financially, not ethnically). I got accepted into both just last week, so I'm trying to make a decision kind of blind since I know my aid packages won't come in till after traffic day = \

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten specific information about jeffs second look weekend? I saw on the other thread it was the 21st-22nd but I have received any specifics from Jefferson directly

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten specific information about jeffs second look weekend? I saw on the other thread it was the 21st-22nd but I have received any specifics from Jefferson directly
PMing you.

Reached out to the admissions office last week. Was told all interview invites have been sent out and no more are available (assuming no one cancels their II).

Reached out to the admissions office last week. Was told all interview invites have been sent out and no more are available (assuming no one cancels their II).
The last interview is Wednesday. I'd hope they'd have invited everyone lol

When you say partial scholarships, how much do you mean? Like $2k, 10k, ?? I'm trying to choose between Jeff and a state school in NY..granted the state school would obviously be cheaper but I'm URM (financially, not ethnically). I got accepted into both just last week, so I'm trying to make a decision kind of blind since I know my aid packages won't come in till after traffic day = \

My scholarship is for $10k. Financial aid specifics isn't something any of us really talk about with one another, so I can't comment beyond what I got. Jeff lists the ethnicities they consider URM on the with LGBT applicants, first-generation college students, and geographically disadvantaged students also counting.

If you contact both schools and explain that you don't want to drop your acceptance to other school because neither has provided you with financial aid information, they should have no problem making an exception to the Traffic Day rules. The Traffic Rule only really stops med schools from imposing extra fees/demands on you if you only have one acceptance. If financial aid packages are what is holding you up, 9/10 times schools will try and speed up your processing or they will allow you to retain the other acceptance until you have both packages to compare (I'm pretty sure that's another Traffic rule that they can't force you to make a decision if you don't have the aid packages). Just make sure you get the response from both schools in writing.

Just to put it out there - you don't think one really good letter might also be a good strategy if OP thinks he/she can articulate themselves well, rather than multiple letters that might not all get read? Obviously what you did worked for you, I just wonder if there may be more than one way to go about it if OP is more comfortable with this approach. They know you're interested, especially after paying the application fee, flying out, and accepting the waitlist offer.

I simply gave the advice I know to be true when I was applying. The advisor at my school was told by Dr. Callahan last year that my lack of updates after being HPWL late January was a sign of lack of enthusiasm. So I kicked it into gear. She does read them. When I got my acceptance call, she specifically referenced several things I had said. Once you're on the HPWL, everything gets read, filed, and scrutinized.

Do you need to bombard them if you're already stellar to get off? Probably not.
Should you if you have any doubts about the strength of your application and/or Jeff is without a doubt your #1 choice and you'd be heartbroken if you didn't get in like it was for me? Then absolutely, yes.

Also, I sent in application fee and flew 500 miles for schools I had no significant interest in. Until you have at least 1 acceptance, you aren't picky at all. And even after getting 1 or more acceptances but still not having at least 1 acceptance at a place you'd be happy attending without reservation, you still aren't picky.

Last edited:
I simply gave the advice I know to be true when I was applying. The advisor at my school was told by Dr. Callahan last year that my lack of updates after being accepted late January was a sign of lack of enthusiasm. So I kicked it into gear. She does read them. When I got my acceptance call, she specifically referenced several things I had said. Once you're on the HPWL, everything gets read, filed, and scrutinized.

Do you need to bombard them if you're already stellar to get off? Probably not.
Should you if you have any doubts about the strength of your application and/or Jeff is without a doubt your #1 choice and you'd be heartbroken if you didn't get in like it was for me? Then absolutely, yes.
Your lack of updates after being accepted? What what

Your lack of updates after being accepted? What what

I was HPWL last year end January. I sent in one update in late January, 1 in mid February. My undergrad pre-med advisor spoke with Dr. Callahan in late March about my application. She told my advisor she hadn't heard from me in a few weeks so she thought I had lost interest in SKMC. That lit a flame under my ass and I started pumping out weekly letters per my advisor's recommendation. I got the call and was pulled off HPWL at like 9am on Traffic Day, so it worked.

Edit: Just noticed I had originally wrote "accepted in January" when I meant to write HPWL. My mistake. We had 2 exams today starting at 9am. My brain checked out hours ago.

Taking my flight tomorrow afternoon, excited to see and meet all of you on Wednesday! Really grateful to have the chance to interview at Jefferson, I'm a bit nervous but also very much excited :)

Withdrew today. It was hard to do, since it was my first acceptance.

I was HPWL last year end January. I sent in one update in late January, 1 in mid February. My undergrad pre-med advisor spoke with Dr. Callahan in late March about my application. She told my advisor she hadn't heard from me in a few weeks so she thought I had lost interest in SKMC. That lit a flame under my ass and I started pumping out weekly letters per my advisor's recommendation. I got the call and was pulled off HPWL at like 9am on Traffic Day, so it worked.

Edit: Just noticed I had originally wrote "accepted in January" when I meant to write HPWL. My mistake. We had 2 exams today starting at 9am. My brain checked out hours ago.
Jeez really? This was exactly my update schedule... Making me a little nervous now. I sent in updates when I felt I had some nice additions to my app, but other than that I didn't want to bother them. Thanks for sharing, going to seriously reconsider now.

Jeez really? This was exactly my update schedule... Making me a little nervous now. I sent in updates when I felt I had some nice additions to my app, but other than that I didn't want to bother them. Thanks for sharing, going to seriously reconsider now.

No problem. And again, this was just my experience, n=1 so not statistically significant but still. My letters were short, but they all had the same format. 1st paragraph: Jeff is my #1, I will matriculate if accepted. 2nd: One reason I love Jeff specifically is...(fill in some unique program/affiliate/whatever that clearly jived well with my personality that I found after digging insanely deep in the site). 3rd: I'd contribute XYZ to the class and improve my classmates education as well.

For me, some of the reasons I loved Jeff were their very strong LGBT health activitism, being very geographically close to my family my significant other's family and having my childhood best friend already at Jeff would mean I had a support system already in place here, and this won't apply soon but for me I love the block schedule and am not a fan of TBL curriculums (which are quickly becoming a thing at all schools) because I study most comfortably and learn best by myself. Also being literally in the heart of Center City is amazing because of the diversity in culture, in and out of school opportunities and I grew up in a suburb with nothing to do ever so I hate being in quiet/slow paced environments and being in Center City is the exact opposite. If you hate where you live, you'll be miserable and won't perform well. Most smart people I know who did poorly in undergrad/grad/med school did so because being somewhere they geographically hated made them borderline depressed/full on clinically depressed, even if they liked their school.

But yeah. All simple reasons, all genuine and personalized to me, but all unique to Jeff (or at least more so than other schools in the area).

No problem. And again, this was just my experience, n=1 so not statistically significant but still. My letters were short, but they all had the same format. 1st paragraph: Jeff is my #1, I will matriculate if accepted. 2nd: One reason I love Jeff specifically is...(fill in some unique program/affiliate/whatever that clearly jived well with my personality that I found after digging insanely deep in the site). 3rd: I'd contribute XYZ to the class and improve my classmates education as well.

For me, some of the reasons I loved Jeff were their very strong LGBT health activitism, being very geographically close to my family my significant other's family and having my childhood best friend already at Jeff would mean I had a support system already in place here, and this won't apply soon but for me I love the block schedule and am not a fan of TBL curriculums (which are quickly becoming a thing at all schools) because I study most comfortably and learn best by myself. Also being literally in the heart of Center City is amazing because of the diversity in culture, in and out of school opportunities and I grew up in a suburb with nothing to do ever so I hate being in quiet/slow paced environments and being in Center City is the exact opposite. If you hate where you live, you'll be miserable and won't perform well. Most smart people I know who did poorly in undergrad/grad/med school did so because being somewhere they geographically hated made them borderline depressed/full on clinically depressed, even if they liked their school.

But yeah. All simple reasons, all genuine and personalized to me, but all unique to Jeff (or at least more so than other schools in the area).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that based on what you said, it appears that the lack of updates near waitlist season was the downfall the first time, not the total amount of letters. For example, I was HPWL'ed in mid-march. I plan on submitting an update this week, and then another update the week before traffic day, that way they know I'm still interested when they're deciding who to pull.

Will keep this in mind if all does not go as planned tomorrow. Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that based on what you said, it appears that the lack of updates near waitlist season was the downfall the first time, not the total amount of letters. For example, I was HPWL'ed in mid-march. I plan on submitting an update this week, and then another update the week before traffic day, that way they know I'm still interested when they're deciding who to pull.

I had no new updates after the letter I sent in February. All the letters I sent were purely interest letters. I'm not implying what I did is the rule for getting off the HPWL. I simply explained the situation I was in, what I did, and that it worked.

Yeah, finally rejected by email today. Not a surprise considering we knew they were mostly done with interviews.

Got the rejection e-mail as well. Been expecting it since their reply to one of my updates let slip that they didn't really read my app/saw one thing and just assumed the rest.

rererere-reee-reeeejected. Oh well. Good bye Jeff. It wasnt meant to be.

Calls are going out folks. Just got accepted! 3/23 interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!!!! Got the call about an hour ago, interviewed 3/30. So excited!! :D

Reactions: 9 users
oh well, was really hoping to hear back today but i guess its going to be the Waitlist/Failure pile for me.... interviewed 3/30
I interviewed 3/30 and am in the same boat. Maybe our faculty interviewer couldn't make it to the meeting! It's only been a week, don't stress yet :)

Here's to hoping she'll still be making calls late into the evening..

Does anyone know if the committee is meeting next week? It looks like in the past they take off the week after the last interview day.

Dr. Brooks said that everyone will hear back by the 20th at the latest. So I assumed there would be a meeting next week too but who knows.

My faculty interviewer specifically told me on interview day that he was going to the meeting today. Guess this isn't a good sign since no call?

Got the official pre-interview rejection email this morning.

How much later do waitlist/rejection emails come out after the acceptance calls?