2015-2016 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally waitlisted. Any idea how big the actual waitlist is? Email said they can accept up to a couple dozen from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also waitlisted, mid Oct interviewee

Dartmouth Adcom #1: "Well it's time to fill out our waitlist. Who should we choose?"
Dartmouth Adcom #2: "I don't know. This is always such a tough decision. They're all so qualified."
Dartmouth Adcom #3: "How about that SDN thread for Dartmouth? Let's just waitlist like 75% of all the people who post on there."
Dartmouth Adcom #1: "Are you sure? That doesn't seem like the best approach."
Dartmouth Adcom #3: "Yeah, you're probably right ... Make it 80%"

Reactions: 1 users
Also waitlisted this morning. The email did say they accept "a significant number" of people off the waitlist, but they seem very conservative in their decision making process. I feel for people who are only on waitlists, but it's also stressful to have to plan on going somewhere else (moving, signing a lease, etc) and suddenly be offered a spot elsewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
Just a heads up for all the new waitlisters..... all Financial Aid information is due this Friday. +pissed+

Just a heads up for all the new waitlisters..... all Financial Aid information is due this Friday. +pissed+

Clarified with admissions office - this deadline does not apply to waitlisted applicants, but they do encourage you to submit all forms as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
17 waitlists so far today (on SDN, at least). That seems like a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted ten minutes ago! Keep the faith! Interviewed mid Novemeber.

Reactions: 6 users
Clarified with admissions office - this deadline does not apply to waitlisted applicants, but they do encourage you to submit all forms as early as possible.

Thank you for checking that. I was in full fledge scramble.

Withdrew today. Great school. Best of luck to waitlisters.

Reactions: 4 users
Any more waitlists today? Has anyone heard this year how many people total are on the WL? It seems that with ppl potentially withdrawing before the apr 30 deadline, some of us would be able to be accepted off the WL before mid-May!

Any more waitlists today? Has anyone heard this year how many people total are on the WL? It seems that with ppl potentially withdrawing before the apr 30 deadline, some of us would be able to be accepted off the WL before mid-May!

Some people still haven't heard anything yet...what a process.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi guys, I withdrew my acceptance at Geisel today to take an offer from another school. I'm heartbroken (I REALLY LOVED Dartmouth, seriously!), but my decision was pretty solid so I thought I should let someone else take my position sooner rather than later. I really hope it goes to one of you on WL from this thread. My best of luck to you all.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys, I withdrew my acceptance at Geisel today to take an offer from another school. I'm heartbroken (I REALLY LOVED Dartmouth, seriously!), but my decision was pretty solid so I thought I should let someone else take my position sooner rather than later. I really hope it goes to one of you on WL from this thread. My best of luck to you all.

Good luck!

Hey All, I've never leased an apartment before and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with something. I am pretty sure I will be going to Dartmouth, and I am absolutely thrilled bc I loved it on my interview day. However, I am on the waitlist of my dream school, Stanford. I think it's really unlikely that I will get off the waitlist just because hardly anyone gets off the waitlist for Stanford.

I really wanted to start looking for an apartment in Hanover, but I'm just wondering, if I lease an apartment and then a miracle happens and I end up getting into Stanford, what will happen with the apartment I leased? Will I have to pay the one year rent or will I have to try to sublease it myself? Or does it depend on the lease and the landlord?

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject. Thank u all in advance for the help.

Hey All, I've never leased an apartment before and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with something. I am pretty sure I will be going to Dartmouth, and I am absolutely thrilled bc I loved it on my interview day. However, I am on the waitlist of my dream school, Stanford. I think it's really unlikely that I will get off the waitlist just because hardly anyone gets off the waitlist for Stanford.

I really wanted to start looking for an apartment in Hanover, but I'm just wondering, if I lease an apartment and then a miracle happens and I end up getting into Stanford, what will happen with the apartment I leased? Will I have to pay the one year rent or will I have to try to sublease it myself? Or does it depend on the lease and the landlord?

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject. Thank u all in advance for the help.
It'll depend on your contract. Most leases you have to pay a penalty for breaking the contract. I don't think they can force you to pay the entire thing, but I'm not sure. You might end up losing deposits and/or having to pay a couple months of rent. Ask when you sign the contract what the procedure is for ending the lease early. Also ask what happens at the end of the lease. Do you have to sign a new one or does it go month to month? If it goes month to month do you pay an extra off-contract fee (common)?

It'll depend on your contract. Most leases you have to pay a penalty for breaking the contract. I don't think they can force you to pay the entire thing, but I'm not sure. You might end up losing deposits and/or having to pay a couple months of rent. Ask when you sign the contract what the procedure is for ending the lease early. Also ask what happens at the end of the lease. Do you have to sign a new one or does it go month to month? If it goes month to month do you pay an extra off-contract fee (common)?

Thank you! :)

Did anyone get their financial aid package yet? Or are they all released at once and nobody has it yet?

Did anyone get their financial aid package yet? Or are they all released at once and nobody has it yet?
I didn't get anything today either. I actually sent in all my applications and stuff last week. Dino informed me that the financial aid information packages would be sent this week. He didn't specify Monday or Tuesday.

I didn't get anything today either. I actually sent in all my applications and stuff last week. Dino informed me that the financial aid information packages would be sent this week. He didn't specify Monday or Tuesday.

Okay, thanks! I sent mine in last week too, so fingers crossed for tomorrow lol

Okay, so I feel like I'm falling behind here....

I don't have signed copies of my parents' 1040....it was done electronically. I am on the WL, so how soon should I get this in?

Just got my award letter via email. Also the email said I'll get a paper letter in the mail.

I'm very excited and grateful. It's not a whole lot of aid, but it is something. Every bit helps!!! YAY !

I hope everyone else is pleased with what they get also

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my award letter via email. Also the email said I'll get a paper letter in the mail.

I'm very excited and grateful. It's not a whole lot of aid, but it is something. Every bit helps!!! YAY !

I hope everyone else is pleased with what they get also
Still waiting here. Hopefully they'll get to everyone today.

edit: received my financial aid info.. ugh.. not horrible, not great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay, so I feel like I'm falling behind here....

I don't have signed copies of my parents' 1040....it was done electronically. I am on the WL, so how soon should I get this in?

I'm on the WL as well and have submitted everything except for the mailed forms. I'm definitely aiming to get them sent by the end of this week.