2015-2016 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dartmouth limits loans to 38k per year and gives grants for everything beyond that, right??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Dartmouth limits loans to 38k per year and gives grants for everything beyond that, right??

Still waiting to hear from them as well..

From my understanding, the FLOOR for loans is 38k per year (meaning you need to take out at the very least that much), they'll cover what they can based on need, then the rest you're responsible for with either more loans or money from family. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Reactions: 2 users

From my understanding, the FLOOR for loans is 38k per year (meaning you need to take out at the very least that much), they'll cover what they can based on need, then the rest you're responsible for with either more loans or money from family. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

This was my understanding too, except I thought it was 37K, not 38...I may have the figure wrong though lol But I definitely know it's called a "base loan" which means no matter what, you have to take out a minimum of that amount in loans before any other aid is granted or applied

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting here. Hopefully they'll get to everyone today.

edit: received my financial aid info.. ugh.. not horrible, not great.

I was wondering if anyone received information about loans that Dartmouth offers in the financial aid email.
I am particularly wondering about:
DELC (Dartmouth Educational Loan Corp) which gives $45,000 max
Geisel School of Medicine Loan which gives $4,000 max
DEA (Dartmouth Education Association) Loan which gives $4,000 max

The reason I am asking is that
1) I didn't get any info about those in my financial aid letter (although perhaps the snail mail package they send will include more info about them?)
2) In my letter, another loan was mentioned. Since I am considered an international student, I am worried that perhaps they will not offer me the other loans that I mentioned above. I am worried that just the one tiny loan they mentioned in the letter will be all that I am eligible for.

I was wondering if anyone received information about loans that Dartmouth offers in the financial aid email.
I am particularly wondering about:
DELC (Dartmouth Educational Loan Corp) which gives $45,000 max
Geisel School of Medicine Loan which gives $4,000 max
DEA (Dartmouth Education Association) Loan which gives $4,000 max

The reason I am asking is that
1) I didn't get any info about those in my financial aid letter (although perhaps the snail mail package they send will include more info about them?)
2) In my letter, another loan was mentioned. Since I am considered an international student, I am worried that perhaps they will not offer me the other loans that I mentioned above. I am worried that just the one tiny loan they mentioned in the letter will be all that I am eligible for.
Similar situation. I received a scholarship and a Braley(?) loan. I assume the interest rates are similar. What you see in your letter should be what you got.

Similar situation. I received a scholarship and a Braley(?) loan. I assume the interest rates are similar. What you see in your letter should be what you got.

I appreciate your response. It seems our letters were identical regarding the scholarship and Braley loan (with different amounts though probably).
By the way, the scholarship we got doesn't need to be repaid, correct? We just have to repay the Braley loan.

Oh, bummer. So I guess all the other loans won't be given?

May God help me find the loans I need then, cuz I need a whole lot.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate your response. It seems our letters were identical regarding the scholarship and Braley loan (with different amounts though probably).
By the way, the scholarship we got doesn't need to be repaid, correct? We just have to repay the Braley loan.

Oh, bummer. So I guess all the other loans won't be given?

May God help me find the loans I need then, cuz I need a whole lot.

Yeah that's basically the same understanding I have. Wish it was more, but with similar financials between Case and Geisel, I won't be able to use that as a decision

Yeah that's basically the same understanding I have. Wish it was more, but with similar financials between Case and Geisel, I won't be able to use that as a decision
I just called the financial aid office and everyone will get info about the DELC loan in July. So it seems we still may be able to get another loan from Geisel!

I just called the financial aid office and everyone will get info about the DELC loan in July. So it seems we still may be able to get another loan from Geisel!
What?! How are internationals supposed to make decisions if we don't have that info now???

still constantly refreshing my e-mail for this package :'(

The Braley loan doesn't accrue interest until 2 years after you graduate, from what Michelle told me!

Reactions: 1 users

This was my understanding too, except I thought it was 37K, not 38...I may have the figure wrong though lol But I definitely know it's called a "base loan" which means no matter what, you have to take out a minimum of that amount in loans before any other aid is granted or applied

Okay, I have been corrected lol the base loan is indeed 38K, not 37K :( Welp...guess that's just another thousand plus interest to pay back eventually :sorry:

Members don't see this ad :)
just withdrew. Was a super tough choice for me as I loved the people and faculty I met here. Hopefully one of you other awesome people gets to go here!!

Reactions: 4 users
Is there anyone out there who still hasn't heard anything post-interview? I'm still waiting. I have checked spam etc. and nothing. Would love to know if anyone is in the same boat. Thanks all!

Is there anyone out there who still hasn't heard anything post-interview? I'm still waiting. I have checked spam etc. and nothing. Would love to know if anyone is in the same boat. Thanks all!

I would maybe give them a call. Second Look was this past weekend and it was a blast. Anyone PM me if you have specific questions as you're deciding.

I would maybe give them a call. Second Look was this past weekend and it was a blast. Anyone PM me if you have specific questions as you're deciding.
I would love to know more about what you guys did for second look and what you learned. Deciding between case and Dartmouth.

I would love to know more about what you guys did for second look and what you learned. Deciding between case and Dartmouth.
Also decided between Case and Dartmouth. I think a major factor is class size and also the difference in curriculum. I like the personal touch that I can have with faculty here because there are so few of us. As well, the small class size allows you to assume leadership roles that maybe you might not be able to at a larger school. The curriculums are pretty different. There's recorded lecture and some PBL, flipped lecture, small groups and it's true pass/fail. Location is also pretty different, but you can always hop down to Boston or over to NYC/Montreal if you're feeling cabin fever.

Can you please define blast :) I really really wanted to go to second look but couldn't make it. I would so love to know any details anyone is willing to impart about all of the fabulous things you all did!

Also decided between Case and Dartmouth. I think a major factor is class size and also the difference in curriculum. I like the personal touch that I can have with faculty here because there are so few of us. As well, the small class size allows you to assume leadership roles that maybe you might not be able to at a larger school. The curriculums are pretty different. There's recorded lecture and some PBL, flipped lecture, small groups and it's true pass/fail. Location is also pretty different, but you can always hop down to Boston or over to NYC/Montreal if you're feeling cabin fever.
One thing I couldn't quite figure out is what a typical week at Dartmouth looks like and how much flexibility there is. Case is essentially mandatory 8-12 MTWF. (Yes I know lecture isn't). What is it like at Geisel ?

Also I thought case is true P/F also. Is that not correct?

One thing I couldn't quite figure out is what a typical week at Dartmouth looks like and how much flexibility there is. Case is essentially mandatory 8-12 MTWF. (Yes I know lecture isn't). What is it like at Geisel ?

Also I thought case is true P/F also. Is that not correct?
I remember case saying they were true pass fail

Can you please define blast :) I really really wanted to go to second look but couldn't make it. I would so love to know any details anyone is willing to impart about all of the fabulous things you all did!
Post below does a better job answering your question!

@bearintraining there is really not a typical week, there are patterns of 8-12 class, but I'd say usually 8am class at least once a week usually Thursday or Friday and then required class about 3 times a week from 10-12p. Then labs and other small groups get inserted sometimes after 12p from 1-3ish. I used to be bothered by this because I like routine, but it really is not bad at all.

Sorry I did not mean that Case was not true P/F! Definitely forgot that point.

Last edited:
I went to second look this past weekend as an incoming student. I had a lot of fun.

The professors are very engaging and the current students were pretty familiar with the prospective students. Everyone was willing to meet us and in general very friendly.

Friday night there was a party for the incoming and current students and the following night was a med school formal that some prospective students attended.
There was a lot of engagement and possibilities to talk to current students and ask any questions during the entire weekend. A lot of questions asked about interest groups, curriculum, housing, culture of Hanover etc.

I went to second look this past weekend as an incoming student. I had a lot of fun.

The professors are very engaging and the current students were pretty familiar with the prospective students. Everyone was willing to meet us and in general very friendly.

Friday night there was a party for the incoming and current students and the following night was a med school formal that some prospective students attended.
There was a lot of engagement and possibilities to talk to current students and ask any questions during the entire weekend. A lot of questions asked about interest groups, curriculum, housing, culture of Hanover etc.

I was wondering if anyone went to the MD – MBA talk during second look? I would love to know what happened during that meeting.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has talked to Mr. Zubkoff and has gotten any more information regarding the MD MBA program at Dartmouth.

I was wondering if anyone went to the MD – MBA talk during second look? I would love to know what happened during that meeting.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has talked to Mr. Zubkoff and has gotten any more information regarding the MD MBA program at Dartmouth.
i did not. i'd call him about it. I'm not interested in the program.

I did talk to him.. the short is:

$60K tuition but a $20K award given.. making it $40K
People apply in their 2nd year.
Required GMAT or GRE (preferably GMAT)
Program is 3 years Med, 1 year Tuck, 1 year split
Limiting number of spots to 6/yr starting with the incoming class
Seemed very willing to help people out in getting in/being successful, etc.

What's the process for withdrawing if I haven't heard anything since interviewing (no waitlist notification)? The secondary application portal does not have a link to withdraw application. Did people email the office to withdraw?

What's the process for withdrawing if I haven't heard anything since interviewing (no waitlist notification)? The secondary application portal does not have a link to withdraw application. Did people email the office to withdraw?

Call or email. They're good about responding to emails.

Just got pulled off of the waitlist. Got the call this morning! Will be attending Dartmouth in the late summer! Good luck to everyone can't wait to meet the incoming class.

Just got pulled off of the waitlist. Got the call this morning! Will be attending Dartmouth in the late summer! Good luck to everyone can't wait to meet the incoming class.

Huge congratulations! I really hope to be in your shoes soon!

How many of us wait listers are still hanging on here?

Got a call from Dartmouth!!! Accepted off the waitlist. :soexcited::banana:

Got a call from Dartmouth!!! Accepted off the waitlist. :soexcited::banana:

Congrats to you too! was it a woman who called you? I blacked out for half of the conversation my heart was beating so quickly. I haven't gotten an email yet so I pray that it wasn't a mistake. Do you remember what else she said concerning emails or anything for the next step of accepting the offer?

Our conversation...
"we are offering you an acceptance off of the wait list"
"get the **** out of here"
"Excuse me?"
"oh my god I am so sorry I did not mean that I'm just completely blown away thank you so much"
" (laughing hysterically) Its okay honey you're welcome, insert a bunch of important information that I can't remember because I was so shocked I couldnt think straight"

Overall a great impression - cursing off the woman who was accepting me to my medical school of choice. Once I got to my computer I wanted to share this with you guys. I've been lurking in this thread for the past month so I wish the best to everyone and to those on the waitlist - write those letters of commitment, update letters, and if applicable send a letter of intent. Also, the later it gets start calling them and asking them about any movement! Good luck to everyone!

KJ

Withdrew from wait list here. Good luck to all else!

Congrats to you too! was it a woman who called you? I blacked out for half of the conversation my heart was beating so quickly. I haven't gotten an email yet so I pray that it wasn't a mistake. Do you remember what else she said concerning emails or anything for the next step of accepting the offer?

Our conversation...
"Excuse me?"
"oh my god I am so sorry I did not mean that I'm just completely blown away thank you so much"
" (laughing hysterically) Its okay honey you're welcome, insert a bunch of important information that I can't remember because I was so shocked I couldnt think straight"

Overall a great impression - cursing off the woman who was accepting me to my medical school of choice. Once I got to my computer I wanted to share this with you guys. I've been lurking in this thread for the past month so I wish the best to everyone and to those on the waitlist - write those letters of commitment, update letters, and if applicable send a letter of intent. Also, the later it gets start calling them and asking them about any movement! Good luck to everyone!

KJ

Congrats! Hilarious story, haha - I was wondering if you got any sense of future movement. Since a few people have gotten accepted in the last couple of days, does that mean it's significantly less likely that there will be any more movement (for the rest of us? :))?

Our conversation...
"Excuse me?"

KJ

This makes me happy for giving up my spot here :)

Congrats! Hilarious story, haha - I was wondering if you got any sense of future movement. Since a few people have gotten accepted in the last couple of days, does that mean it's significantly less likely that there will be any more movement (for the rest of us? :))?

To be honest like I said I don't really remember much of anything from the conversation so I could not get a sense of her tone of voice or any impression about movement. I would think that the majority of movement came after may 1st or whenever kids decided to choose one school they were attending. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is significant movement in the future as kids get off the waitlist and pull out their acceptance from dartmouth. The minute I was waitlisted I convinced myself that those who are accepted Dartmouth are the top quality students (don't ask how I got in ha) and are applying to top notch medical schools. That being said If they are competitive enough to get accepted to Dartmouth then chances are they are competitive at other medical schools. Therefore, they are most likely a lot of accepted students on wait lists elsewhere who would like to go to medical schools that have a higher "ranking", which I don't really believe in in terms of medical schools but I'm sure lots of kids do.

This is a complete shot in the dark and I am not in anyway making a negative comment about Dartmouth, it is literally the school of my dreams and was my absolute biggest reach school. What I do know is thinking this way made me feel a lot better about my chances, whether it is true or absolutely wrong. Either way keep your head up and be an active member of the wait list. Send a letter of commitment, send an update letter or two, send them a letter of intent if you plan on 100% intending, and call call call call. Although there are mixed opinions about calling, I tend to agree with calling them and increasing frequency as the year goes on. Make sure to give them your name and interview date and then ask them if there has been any movement, or if they expect any movement, express your interest very very briefly as to not make them think it is the meaning behind your call (which it obviously is).

Sorry for the rough writing I am on mobile as usual. Good luck to you guys I genuinely wish you and everyone else the best of luck. Just stay positive and bug the ever living **** out of them in every way possible that is not annoying!

P.S. @bearintraining, hopefully one day we run into each other so i can shake your god damn hand and buy you dinner. Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity and I wish you the very best of luck!

KJ

To be honest like I said I don't really remember much of anything from the conversation so I could not get a sense of her tone of voice or any impression about movement. I would think that the majority of movement came after may 1st or whenever kids decided to choose one school they were attending. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is significant movement in the future as kids get off the waitlist and pull out their acceptance from dartmouth. The minute I was waitlisted I convinced myself that those who are accepted Dartmouth are the top quality students (don't ask how I got in ha) and are applying to top notch medical schools. That being said If they are competitive enough to get accepted to Dartmouth then chances are they are competitive at other medical schools. Therefore, they are most likely a lot of accepted students on wait lists elsewhere who would like to go to medical schools that have a higher "ranking", which I don't really believe in in terms of medical schools but I'm sure lots of kids do.

This is a complete shot in the dark and I am not in anyway making a negative comment about Dartmouth, it is literally the school of my dreams and was my absolute biggest reach school. What I do know is thinking this way made me feel a lot better about my chances, whether it is true or absolutely wrong. Either way keep your head up and be an active member of the wait list. Send a letter of commitment, send an update letter or two, send them a letter of intent if you plan on 100% intending, and call call call call. Although there are mixed opinions about calling, I tend to agree with calling them and increasing frequency as the year goes on. Make sure to give them your name and interview date and then ask them if there has been any movement, or if they expect any movement, express your interest very very briefly as to not make them think it is the meaning behind your call (which it obviously is).

Sorry for the rough writing I am on mobile as usual. Good luck to you guys I genuinely wish you and everyone else the best of luck. Just stay positive and bug the ever living **** out of them in every way possible that is not annoying!

P.S. @bearintraining, hopefully one day we run into each other so i can shake your god damn hand and buy you dinner. Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity and I wish you the very best of luck!

KJ

So does calling to inquire about financial aid (another school had a snafoo with my fafsa) to make sure they got it count as a call? I also sent in my spring grades with my unofficial transcript.

KJ

I know that whoever gets my spot at Dartmouth is deserving. I met some awesome people on interview day, and had it not been for some other fortunate acceptances I would've loved to be there with you all.

It's a great place, and maybe I'll get to visit again some day. Good luck to all my new colleagues with the start of a challenging career, but with endless rewards.

ACCEPTED! Got the call a few hours ago! :bow::soexcited:Years of waiting finally over.