2015-2016 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
upload_2016-5-9_15-0-39.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Monday anticipation has a whole different meaning now...

Let the wait list limbo end, Dartmouth!

Unrelated: have any recently accepted decided to attend elsewhere?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from Geisel today. Absolutely devastating because I fell in love with the school, the people, the community. But for a variety of personal reasons I am going elsewhere. I hope my spot goes to one of you. The school is just the perfect environment to study medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
Have any accepted students received their email addresses etc. yet?

When did you get it?

I'm worried about why I haven't gotten mine...

I haven't gotten mine either. I wouldn't worry - they are slowly going through making sure they have all of our things. Just got health/insurance emails yesterday. Things seem to be coming in spurts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I haven't gotten mine either. I wouldn't worry - they are slowly going through making sure they have all of our things. Just got health/insurance emails yesterday. Things seem to be coming in spurts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you for the reassurance.

So it doesn't look like there's been any waitlist movement the past two Mondays... anyone have any indication as to whether they will be accepting more of us? Or is the class pretty much set? =)

So it doesn't look like there's been any waitlist movement the past two Mondays... anyone have any indication as to whether they will be accepting more of us? Or is the class pretty much set? =)
For what it's worth, when I applied in the 2011-2012 cycle, they released the wait list on July 5.

I'm sure someone could dig around in last year's application thread to see when it happened then

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

For what it's worth, when I applied in the 2011-2012 cycle, they released the wait list on July 5.

I'm sure someone could dig around in last year's application thread to see when it happened then

released the waitlist meaning rejected anyone remaining on the waitlist? or more waitlist movement starting july 5th?

released the waitlist meaning rejected anyone remaining on the waitlist? or more waitlist movement starting july 5th?
Meaning they said "we're pretty sure things are set and no one else is going to move off the wait list. You can carry on with your life thanks for playing"

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bit disheartening. I was on three waitlists so I didn't prepare any backup plan and I still haven't received any offer yet. I wish there was a way to get an idea of how likely it is that one would get accepted off the waitlist.
I'm so lost, I don't know what to do next year.

This is a bit disheartening. I was on three waitlists so I didn't prepare any backup plan and I still haven't received any offer yet. I wish there was a way to get an idea of how likely it is that one would get accepted off the waitlist.
I'm so lost, I don't know what to do next year.

I'm really sorry. I was in your position last year. Applying to med school is the hardest thing ever. My fingers are crossed that u get off a waitlist. If not, reapplying was what I did and it was easier the second time around (although still nerve-racking).

I'm really sorry. I was in your position last year. Applying to med school is the hardest thing ever. My fingers are crossed that u get off a waitlist. If not, reapplying was what I did and it was easier the second time around (although still nerve-racking).

What did you do differently the second time around, if you don't mind me asking?

What did you do differently the second time around, if you don't mind me asking?
Have you looked online to gain guidance about filling out the activities section? I think that's really important because it helped me a lot. I learned a lot of things the second time I applied, and improving the activitIed section (in terms of wording/what to write in that tiny space) was something that I think was important.

Also, I know it's painful to keep rewriting your personal essay. However, the second time I applied, I showed a lot of people my essay, even though it is very personal, and I gained a lot of insight from people that didn't know about my story. Strangers/ acquaintances were able to point out parts of my essay that were confusing. Whereas, people who already know pretty much my whole life story, they weren't able to give me as much insight into what a stranger reading my essay will be thinking.

Have you read any books on medical school interviews? The second time I applied, I literally bought like 10 of those books. I'm not exaggerating when i say that I believe that made all the difference for my interviews. Of course, in addition to the books, I also did mock interviews with friends and family for months. If you read those books, they will give you insight into what admissions committees are looking for during the interview. It will also help you understand what parts of your application to highlight and how to word things so that you seem even more like an applicant that they would like to have at their school.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted yesterday afternoon off of the WL! Interviewed first week of March.
Best of luck to those still waiting! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to you too! was it a woman who called you? I blacked out for half of the conversation my heart was beating so quickly. I haven't gotten an email yet so I pray that it wasn't a mistake. Do you remember what else she said concerning emails or anything for the next step of accepting the offer?

Our conversation...
"we are offering you an acceptance off of the wait list"
"get the **** out of here"
"Excuse me?"
"oh my god I am so sorry I did not mean that I'm just completely blown away thank you so much"
" (laughing hysterically) Its okay honey you're welcome, insert a bunch of important information that I can't remember because I was so shocked I couldnt think straight"

Overall a great impression - cursing off the woman who was accepting me to my medical school of choice. Once I got to my computer I wanted to share this with you guys. I've been lurking in this thread for the past month so I wish the best to everyone and to those on the waitlist - write those letters of commitment, update letters, and if applicable send a letter of intent. Also, the later it gets start calling them and asking them about any movement! Good luck to everyone!

KJ
Super happy for you :)...am applying this cycle and Dartmouth is my #1 choice....

Anyone hear anything lately? I emailed about three weeks ago and got the standard "we know it's difficult to plan but rest assured all applications on the wait list continue to be evaluated" line