2015-2016 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we hashtag in our secondaries does it count against the character count?
Also, does anyone know if they prefer a certain filter. I'm looking good in Hefe but should I play it a little more bold?

Valencia is my personal choice.
And a picture is worth a thousand hashtags. So put a thousand hashtags.
Show leadership and initiative by ignoring character limits.
How to get into med school 101 bro

Members don't see this ad.

y/n to emojis?

Valencia is my personal choice.
And a picture is worth a thousand hashtags. So put a thousand hashtags.
Show leadership and initiative by ignoring character limits.
How to get into med school 101 bro

Members don't see this ad :)
For any additional comments, I put Columbia = bae. Nailed it.

Reactions: 1 users
I may be overthinking this, but what are they looking for for the challenges in an urban community question? I was thinking basic stuff like safety, cost, transportation, diversity. Then describe how you would be good handling this stuff.

I may be overthinking this, but what are they looking for for the challenges in an urban community question? I was thinking basic stuff like safety, cost, transportation, diversity. Then describe how you would be good handling this stuff.
I think that's all fair game. I focused a lot on diversity (HELLO, NYC), since I lived in LA for a few years and could handle most other "city culture struggles."

If we apply for the Basset track, can we not apply for the regular MD or are we automatically considered for both?

Edit: nvm, I saw the answer.

Am I overthinking the urban challenges question? I am being pretty straight forward and have mostly logical concerns. It's not a trick question is it?

Am I overthinking the urban challenges question? I am being pretty straight forward and have mostly logical concerns. It's not a trick question is it?
most likely Columbia has dealt with students who were shell shocked (I will use the original medical terminology, not this politically correct “PTSD" BS)with the toughness of living and working in a city, so they probably want to see what considerations you’ve taken and to give you a heads-up that some people will find it tough to get through. the simple action of asking the question makes people think about it and that is probably what they are hoping to do

Does Columbia only check if your letters are in after you submit? A lot of the other schools have already received mine last week, and I just hit submit today for Columbia

Would a short essay on a hobby I am passionate about (that may or may not have been written for Michigan's "what are you passionate about?" question...ok fine it was) be appropriate for the "Anything else you'd like us to know" question? Or is that for "Why Columbia?"

Would a short essay on a hobby I am passionate about (that may or may not have been written for Michigan's "what are you passionate about?" question...ok fine it was) be appropriate for the "Anything else you'd like us to know" question? Or is that for "Why Columbia?"

Pretty sure it's to address deficiencies in your application and things of that nature or they just glance over it.

Reactions: 1 user
just submitted secondary! woot

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the collegiate extracurriculars: do they want, as an example: played football for X school, or band of X school

I played hockey and power lifted during college but not for school, is that acceptable?

Also: Did you complete a PostBaccalaureate pre-medical program?
I finished an SMP, not sure if this falls under that criteria

11. Is there anything else you would like us to know? 300 words

Is this question optional?

Is it true that Columbia has a 100% voluntary teaching staff?

Is it true that Columbia has a 100% voluntary teaching staff?
Do you mean voluntary as in they choose if they want to teach (vs. clinical/research time) or they don't get paid?

Either. A student posted on the 2013-2014 page that they have a "100% voluntary teaching staff," so I was curious to know what that meant. I am assuming they get paid, so I figured it meant they voluntarily choose to take time away from their practice to teach, rather than being forced to teach by the University. If that is the case, isn't that the same for most medical schools?

dream school!! just submitted my secondary =D good luck to everyone!

I submitted on the 9th and haven't been marked complete, typical?

I submitted on the 9th and haven't been marked complete, typical?
I'd email them to make sure your secondary was submitted....they've been having technical difficulties with submissions last week. Also if your AMCAS hasn't been verified yet or your LORs not sent yet, your application is marked as incomplete.

Falling in love with Bassett! Any Bassett alumni or matriculants on this thread? It's a small program so I know its unlikely.

Another quick question: I saw the matriculant MCAT numbers, but I took the new test. Where would I stand with a total 521, P/C 129, CARS 130, B/BCHM 132, Psych/Soc 130?

Another quick question: I saw the matriculant MCAT numbers, but I took the new test. Where would I stand with a total 521, P/C 129, CARS 130, B/BCHM 132, Psych/Soc 130?
Check percentiles and assume the same distribution

theres literally no school where this distribution isn't competitive so this is an uninformed and apparently pompous question

Thank you for your kind and professional input. It will serve you well. Nonetheless, I asked where I stand because MSARS median scores are based on the 45 scale. G.NA kindly reminded me that the best way would be to compare percentiles.

Applying here IS. One of my top choices and would absolutely love to study in NYC for four years.

i hope youre trolling. it doesnt matter if MSARs median scores are based on the alphabet or newtonian mechanics.. if you received one of the highest possibles scores on an exam, whether it be the old or current version, youre obviously in a good place. are you unaware that the new exam is out of 528 and that each section is out of 132, and that you were a maximum of 3 points away from a PERFECT score on only one section whilst achieving a PERFECT score in another with the other two in between? are you unable to extrapolate from this that your score is of absolutely zero concern for any program you apply to? especially given access to percentile rankings that show that these scores are better than something like 95% of everyone who took the exam? excuse my "unprofessional" input but your question is just stupid (contrary to what your elementary school taught you about stupid questions). good day and good luck! :)
someone didnt get a good mcat score

someone didnt get a good mcat score

Well I did and I agree it was a dumb question lol.... I always double check if I can find the answer myself before asking people, it's a good policy

Anyone gotten an II yet?

Pre-Verified Secondary.

I'm not expecting much love from Columbia, but I'll still give the II my best shot.

Good luck to you all :)

i have a terrific mcat score, but i also have the presence of mind reflective of one. i don't appreciate posts that seem to beg for acknowledgement of said scores and user who uphold some sort of mindless oblivion in regards to their scores' implications

Chill dude. Ok it was a mindless post, but why are you so worked up about it? No matter how "dumb" a post is, I believe all users should be respected. The connotation of your words are at issue here. Your elementary school clearly didn't teach you etiquette.

Chill dude. Ok it was a mindless post, but why are you so worked up about it? No matter how "dumb" a post is, I believe all users should be respected. The connotation of your words are at issue here. Your elementary school clearly didn't teach you etiquette.
its cool, if i had a kid that looked liked his i'd be permanently upset too

its cool, if i had a kid that looked liked his i'd be permanently upset too

Thank you for coming to my defense, but I cannot agree with that comment. Please remove it as it is uncalled for. I meant that about respect.

Reactions: 3 users
A student posted on the 2013-2014 page that they have a "100% voluntary teaching staff," so I was curious to know what that meant. I am assuming they get paid, so I figured it meant they voluntarily choose to take time away from their practice to teach, rather than being forced to teach by the University. If that is the case, isn't that the same for most medical schools?

Secondary submitted. First choice. Love me, Columbia.

i submitted mine earlier today and noticed it said my letters are not in even though several other schools have verified receipt of them. i believe this may be an issue on AMCAS end especially considering the fact that theyre having some sort of issue with their telephone communications
My letters don't even show up on the references page. I just submitted though. Is that normal?

Anyone do the why Bassett question? If so, how long was it?

For the challenges of city question, would it be bad to just focus on one major challenge? Its only 300 words...

Hey guys, are any of you having trouble submitting the payment? Every time I press the button I get a server error.

Secondary submitted!
No CV, and I wasn't looking my best in the picture I provided. Who needs facial symmetry anyway? :annoyed:

LizzyM 71.5, not too optimistic here.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't include a CV, because pretty much everything on there was in my AMCAS already.

I didn't include a CV, basically everything was on my AMCAS as well and I didn't want to repeat.

When does Columbia start giving out IIs?
Anyone get one yet?