2015-2016 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete email today! Everything happens so fast once you're verified lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A student posted on the 2013-2014 page that they have a "100% voluntary teaching staff," so I was curious to know what that meant. I am assuming they get paid, so I figured it meant they voluntarily choose to take time away from their practice to teach, rather than being forced to teach by the University. If that is the case, isn't that the same for most medical schools?
I'm a 3rd year MD student at P&S and can try to answer some questions. My understanding is that teachers actually don't get paid for lectures or small group sessions, and in that way they're voluntary. Interestingly, despite the lack of compensation, lecture and small group teaching roles are highly competitive and prized within the med school. I'm sorry, but I can't comment on how that set-up compares to other schools. Hope that's useful!

Falling in love with Bassett! Any Bassett alumni or matriculants on this thread? It's a small program so I know its unlikely.
I'm not in the Bassett program, but I can comment briefly on it. In addition to providing exposure to rural medicine, it underscores healthcare systems and leadership in medicine. We get that in the regular MD track as well, but it's a point of emphasis and focus for Bassett. Students also have a longitudinal experience in their clinical year, carrying their own panel of patients through the year. And Cooperstown is fantastic - everyone tries to head up there for away rotations when possible. One of the best parts about Bassett, from my perspective, is the people. They're universally exceptional - talented, thoughtful, humble, fun, committed, hilarious. They're a great gang, and we're fortunate that (at least during preclinicals) they're well integrated into the regular track.

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete. Hope they don't look down on an applicant too much if they don't speak Spanish.

Last edited:
Most of the questions in the secondaries give you up to 300 words to answer the questions. Should we attempt to use up all the space? Or be as brief as possible?

Most of the questions in the secondaries give you up to 300 words to answer the questions. Should we attempt to use up all the space? Or be as brief as possible?

For the "took time off from undergrad studies", "work for compensation", "graduated from college", and "complex urban environment" essays (whichever are applicable to you), I would probably aim to use as much space as possible (though obviously quality is more important than the actual length). For the "collegiate extracurricular" ones, you don't have much space, so be succinct and as informative as possible within the limit. For the "anything else you want us to know" don't write anything unless you have something that's absolutely necessary to put your application in context (i.e. this is NOT a diversity or "Why Columbia?" essay space).

For the "took time off from undergrad studies", "work for compensation", "graduated from college", and "complex urban environment" essays (whichever are applicable to you), I would probably aim to use as much space as possible (though obviously quality is more important than the actual length). For the "collegiate extracurricular" ones, you don't have much space, so be succinct and as informative as possible within the limit. For the "anything else you want us to know" don't write anything unless you have something that's absolutely necessary to put your application in context (i.e. this is NOT a diversity or "Why Columbia?" essay space).
Thank you! This helps!

Wouldn't your reasons for attending Columbia be putting your application in context? Just thinking that if they have two applicants that had similar grades/ECs but one had a "Why Columbia" essay and the other didn't, wouldn't the one with the "Why Columbia" essay stand out because they seem more interested in the school? Just my opinion...

Wouldn't your reasons for attending Columbia be putting your application in context? Just thinking that if they have two applicants that had similar grades/ECs but one had a "Why Columbia" essay and the other didn't, wouldn't the one with the "Why Columbia" essay stand out because they seem more interested in the school? Just my opinion...

Trust me, they already know you're interested.

Reactions: 3 users
I am complete :eek:
I had to submit without my preferred LORs because they still haven't arrived yet, oh well, I don't think it will hurt me too much. I was rejected from Columbia for undergrad so this is my only chance at revenge.

Reactions: 1 users
I am complete :eek:
I had to submit without my preferred LORs because they still haven't arrived yet, oh well, I don't think it will hurt me too much. I was rejected from Columbia for undergrad so this is my only chance at revenge.

So if Columbia accepted you for undergrad, this would be Columbia's chance for revenge (by rejecting you) ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
this complex urban environment essay is killing me! i literally have no idea what to write about since i grew up in a city a lot like new york. i am also confused how to format it and make it flow - any tips? i wish there was an example essay i could look at.

this complex urban environment essay is killing me! i literally have no idea what to write about since i grew up in a city a lot like new york. i am also confused how to format it and make it flow - any tips? i wish there was an example essay i could look at.
One possible way to frame this essay is to think of "challenge" as "opportunity for growth." Even if you've lived your whole life in large cities (although I might contend that the list of cities a lot like New York is very slim), I think going to med school in NYC would likely afford you sundry such opportunities (both personal and professional). Hope that helps!

On this note, I thought I'd just add that, way back when, I discussed being shaped by experiences as a first-generation immigrant. I think previous posters are absolutely right that you can trust the admissions office that this is an optional essay, but I might also suggest not being afraid to write something up if you feel like an important part of yourself hasn't yet been conveyed. Totally up to you! Many ways to skin a cat, etc. It's still unclear to me why someone is so intent on skinning cats, but perhaps that's a question for another thread.

Last edited:
One possible way to frame this essay is to think of "challenge" as "opportunity for growth." Even if you've lived your whole life in large cities (although I might contend that the list of cities a lot like New York is very slim), I think going to med school in NYC would likely afford you sundry such opportunities (both personal and professional). Hope that helps!

On this note, I thought I'd just add that, way back when, I discussed being shaped by experiences as a first-generation immigrant. I think previous posters are absolutely right that you can trust the admissions office that this is an optional essay, but I might also suggest not being afraid to write something up if you feel like an important part of yourself hasn't yet been conveyed. Totally up to you! Many ways to skin a cat, etc. It's still unclear to me why someone is so intent on skinning cats, but perhaps that's a question for another thread.

thanks for the help! perhaps it is my level of engagement with new york, but i just think that cities like mumbai, hong kong, or karachi are a heck of a lot more complex and harder to navigate than new york. but framing it as opportunities is a good way of thinking about it.

what do you think of an essay that will focus on urban health problems such as segregation and lack of access? while these are actually the challenges that i think about most it is hard for me to think about how i would address them - presumably the reason that i am going to medical school haha.

Just submitted my secondary. I was very happy to see the option to upload a CV because, as a slightly old (almost 28!) non-trad, i had quite a bit on my CV that i couldn't include in my primary. Looks like you're only allowed to upload a CV once (unlike the photo), so make sure it's your final draft. I made some edits to mine after i had already uploaded it and had to call the office so they could delete the old version, allowing me to upload the latest version. The office is very friendly and helpful.

Good luck everyone. Dream school!

thanks for the help! perhaps it is my level of engagement with new york, but i just think that cities like mumbai, hong kong, or karachi are a heck of a lot more complex and harder to navigate than new york. but framing it as opportunities is a good way of thinking about it.

what do you think of an essay that will focus on urban health problems such as segregation and lack of access? while these are actually the challenges that i think about most it is hard for me to think about how i would address them - presumably the reason that i am going to medical school haha.
I totally agree that there are many other complex cities in the world! You can pretty much throw a dart at a map and find complexity! Places might, however, be complex in different ways. But maybe I've strayed from the point. Even if you've lived in New York itself your entire life, I figure it's rich enough that going to med school here would likely still push and challenge you. In other words, big layered cities (including the ones you've mentioned) are kinda hard to max out. Which is pretty exciting!

As for your proposed topic, it sounds viable to me as long as it's personal and speaks to challenges that you specifically will face. I figure secondaries are a chance to convey at least glimpses into who you are, where you're from, and what you're about. No matter what the prompt is, you're the subject. So if your responses are genuine and personal, then - in my eyes - they're good. You might want to take that with more than a grain of salt though, because I have literally no special qualifications for judging secondaries. Good luck!

how do you upload a different picture??
I guess i didn't really look into it but i thought when i clicked the photo tab, even after i had uploaded mine, there was the button to select a new photo. I could be wrong about that. I know for sure, however, that after you've uploaded your cv, if you go back to the CV tab it just says CV uploaded and there's no button to upload a new version.

ahh I see. Yea, I tried to upload a different picture but there was no tab for it. Oh well!

oh, sorry for the false hope then! :) If it's really important to you, you can definitely call their office and the can quickly find your account and delete the file you uploaded, allowing you to upload another one.

Interestingly, of the three top 10s I interviewed at, I was rejected at the one I got into for undergrad, accepted at the one I was rejected at, and waitlisted->withdrew at the one I was waitlisted->withdrew at.

Not to scare anyone, just wanted to share :p
This means I'll be in at Harvard, out at Yale/Penn/Cornell, WL at Brown (if I applied there, that is)
:(

This means I'll be in at Harvard, out at Yale/Penn/Cornell, WL at Brown (if I applied there, that is)

No, mines bigger!

Wait, what are we talking about?

Reactions: 7 users
I have more respect for guys and gals putting in 60 hour weeks on road construction crews.

I have more respect for guys and gals putting in 60 hour weeks on road construction crews.
Hey hey calm down...we're just having some neurotic fun here. Isn't that what SDN is for?

Hey hey calm down...we're just having some neurotic fun here. Isn't that what SDN is for?

SDN is 90% useful information and 10% humble brags.

EDIT: 50% useful information and 50% humble brags.

EDIT, EDIT: 10% useful information and 90% humble brags.

Nailed it.

Reactions: 3 users
Also...I'm perfectly calm.

***Not in 'Nam of course***

I still die...every time...Also, please tell me you know this movie.

Last edited:
It's official, I'm completely out of touch with the vast majority applicants. Big Lebowski was the most formative movie of my life.

Also, what is a pokemon? Is it an expert at fixing cable?

Translation:

avgn was accepted at Yale/Penn/Cornell for undergrad.

Impressive indeed :)

Ohhh, so it wasn't a measuring contest. Thanks for clearing that up.

Starve the ego, feed the soul

@justadream How come you're not in our Pokemon gang yet? You were the first one to suggest that people evolve at matriculation after an initial evolution at acceptance!

@justadream How come you're not in our Pokemon gang yet? You were the first one to suggest that people evolve at matriculation after an initial evolution at acceptance!

Haha I last changed my status to a penguin (from last year's theme) but I might have to change to Pokemon soon!

Haha I last changed my status to a penguin (from last year's theme) but I might have to change to Pokemon soon!
Last year was last year. Get out of the fast! Join the future! :D

Anyone not able to submit? My basic information has a red ! next to it despite having filled everything in

edit: whoops, disregard

Submitted my secondary 07/22. Didn't know much about this school prior to applying but after researching it's one of my top choices! I love all the student clubs they have. Hopefully interview invites come soon :cigar:

How many people are actually applying end of Junior/Senior year?? Is it better to wait, like take a gap year? Is it counted against you if you're younger and have done a good number of EC's/Jobs/etc even if you don't have as much as someone older?

How many people are actually applying end of Junior/Senior year?? Is it better to wait, like take a gap year? Is it counted against you if you're younger and have done a good number of EC's/Jobs/etc even if you don't have as much as someone older?

Junior/Senior here. I doubt one is better than the other. As in everything else it is a 80/20 rule. 80% luck and 20% MCAT, GPA and ECs.

Junior/Senior here. I doubt one is better than the other. As in everything else it is a 80/20 rule. 80% luck and 20% MCAT, GPA and ECs.
You really think it's just luck? I think it's stuff that applicants just don't understand about what schools are looking for, the fit they want, the class composition they want. We don't even really know what the competition has besides some rough GPA/MCAT. There's certainly luck but 80% is much too random IMO
@mimelim

Reactions: 2 users
You really think it's just luck? I think it's stuff that applicants just don't understand about what schools are looking for, the fit they want, the class composition they want. We don't even really know what the competition has besides some rough GPA/MCAT. There's certainly luck but 80% is much too random IMO
@mimelim

80% may be an exaggeration on my part but when you take into account the "Holistic" approach and "Diversity" into the picture, one has to be lucky to make it to the II stage and then of course things are 80/20. 80 being how you do in the interview and 20 lucky to make it under the "Diversity" quota. This is all keeping in mind 80% of the applicants are well qualified.

80% may be an exaggeration on my part but when you take into account the "Holistic" approach and "Diversity" into the picture, one has to be lucky to make it to the II stage and then of course things are 80/20. 80 being how you do in the interview and 20 lucky to make it under the "Diversity" quota. This is all keeping in mind 80% of the applicants are well qualified.
To me, "lucky" implies "for no reason or a reason that is unknown." For me, the only "unknown" factor here is what sort of composition the school is aiming for. Everything else is out in the open, as you said, with diversity, career path, leadership, etc. as clear criteria. So in my mind, it's not that random. It's like giving a chubby kid some chocolate cake – we know what they want, just not how much of it they want. Arbitrarily, I thus wind down the "lucky" factor to like 15-20% max.