2015-2016 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received secondary pre-verification.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I also received a secondary before verification

Just received the secondary before verification as well. I guess I'll edit my response for a couple of days, and then turn it over.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay when it says work for compensation should we talk about summers in which we did research and were supported by a stipend? or are they looking for hourly wage jobs?

similar question in terms of being an RA - i got paid a monthly stipend, and am not sure if i should put that in the secondary

Secondary received and submitted! Verified 6/4.

okay when it says work for compensation should we talk about summers in which we did research and were supported by a stipend? or are they looking for hourly wage jobs?

similar question in terms of being an RA - i got paid a monthly stipend, and am not sure if i should put that in the secondary

It wouldn't hurt to add either the compensation for summer research or RA, it would only add to the information you have thus provided. Honestly, I did not indicate that I worked for summer research and it seemed like an opportune place to talk about it.

From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English?

I've translated flyers for a free clinic where I volunteer from English to Spanish and vice versa. Would this be enough to include it? When they say scholarly material I'm thinking research articles. I'm not sure if I would be able to do that. I am a native Spanish speaker and that is listed on my AMCAS. Would it look weird if I don't put Spanish for this question?

I had a similar question but with Hindi. The "scholarly material" part is throwing me off.. I can translate and what not, but I'm not sure about research material..

I decided to err on the safe side and leave it blank.

Reactions: 1 user
For you work for compensation section, are you all writing about why it is important to you at all or just listing the experience/hours per week?

EDIT: Same question for the extracurriculars section

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to err on the safe side and leave it blank.

I'm thinking of doing the same. Did you also have another native language listed on AMCAS? From what I remember, the definition was being able to converse easily and other native speakers would think you are a native speaker. That applies to me so it shouldn't necessarily mean I can translate scholarly material right?

EDIT: Same question for the extracurriculars section

Brief bullet point descriptions because there's no space for anything else.

Do we also need to upload a CV? I feel that everything on that has already been included in my Primary.

@ElCapone Last year, they came to the consensus that it was redundant and unnecessary. I would guess that if it adds anything to your application, add it; if not, don't.

Was also wondering about the work for compensation question.. I was going to reuse my most important experience description since it fit, but would that be looked down upon? Would I be better just giving resume style description?

"can you translate scholarly material from a language to english" Pretty sure everything is in english in my country anyways so idk how useful it would be...
I had a similar question but with Hindi. The "scholarly material" part is throwing me off.. I can translate and what not, but I'm not sure about research material..
same! I was wondering if it meant written language as well

So what challenges do you guys expect to see in an urban environment?

Reactions: 3 users
"can you translate scholarly material from a language to english" Pretty sure everything is in english in my country anyways so idk how useful it would be...

same! I was wondering if it meant written language as well
Yea.. I left this blank because if they gave me a research article in Hindi and told me to translate it I wouldn't be able to and I would rather be safe than sorry. Idk, maybe I'm paranoid.

Are you guys using a star as a bullet or just a dash when writing about extracurricular activities/ work during college?

So what challenges do you guys expect to see in an urban environment?

I feel like this is sort of a personal question. I mean of course there are standard elements of NYC that would be challenging to anyone, but different aspects of NYC present different challenges to each person. Think about if you lived there, what would you not like about it and write about that?

Are you guys using a star as a bullet or just a dash when writing about extracurricular activities/ work during college?

I went with full sentences. But am curious as to what others are doing.

When schools ask anything else, should I add something about a characteristic i believe I have or is it generally better to leave it blank?

I went with full sentences. But am curious as to what others are doing.

Yea, me too. For now I just put it a blank line in between each one, like this:
first extracurricular

second extracurricular

third...

you get it.. haha. But I would love to hear other people's opinions as well. Also for questions that don't apply to you, are you leaving them blank or typing in N/A?

When schools ask anything else, should I add something about a characteristic i believe I have or is it generally better to leave it blank?

I think this is a judgement call. If you think it will help your admission's process go for it. But I would show it through examples rather than just say it. Otherwise, leave it blank.

Is everyone using the last prompt, "is there anything else you would like us to know" as a "why Columbia" question?

Is everyone using the last prompt, "is there anything else you would like us to know" as a "why Columbia" question?

I actually have not seen anyone mention this before. But am also curious to see what everyone is doing with this

If you review the 2014-2015 thread, the general consensus was that it isn't the place for "Why Columbia" as it will likely be looked over. If you have a specific reason or tie it couldn't hurt to put it in, but if its holding up your application its unlikely to make a significant impact.

Columbia is one of my top choices! I'm curious, what is exactly meant by people calling it the college of "surgeons and surgeons" ? I don't really see myself in surgery, how big is the emphasis?

1. "What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? - 300 words."
i laughed at this prompt. my friend literally grew up in manhattan and all that jazz and shes just like what?

although it makes you wonder if its been a problem for them in the past.

Deleted, I misunderstood the question.

Last edited:
I've lived in NYC my entire life, so do you guys think I should omit that urban environment question?

Is anyone else having trouble uploading their CV?

EDIT: It says the page was complete but after I submitted it had this weird error message...

Columbia is one of my top choices! I'm curious, what is exactly meant by people calling it the college of "surgeons and surgeons" ? I don't really see myself in surgery, how big is the emphasis?

Columbia has a generally strong track record for matching students into surgical subspecialties. There's a news release from a few years ago that shows that Columbia P&S graduates more neurosurgeons that go into academia than any other medical school and the Columbia Neurosurgery page says that P&S has more of its students currently in neurosurgery residencies than any other medical school as well (again, these may be a few years old, so I'm not sure how accurate they are currently). However, if you look at match lists, there are certainly plenty of people (well over 50% of the class) that match into very highly regarded non-surgical specialties. I personally wouldn't put too much emphasis on this designation (which is really more poking fun at the fact that a disproportionate amount of people choose to go into surgery). If you are the type of applicant who is competitive for schools like Columbia, you most likely have the characteristics necessary to thrive in any speciality you choose.

Reactions: 1 users
One of the questions is "If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)"

Do they mean taking time off WHILE doing your undergrad? OR taking a gap year before matriculating to medical school? I graduated in 2014 and am applying for admission to Fall 2016.

Edit: Figured it out. I think they meant the former since question 4 of the secondary is the latter

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having trouble uploading their CV?

EDIT: It says the page was complete but after I submitted it had this weird error message...
I had the same problem but it worked if I submitted as a pdf

So for the translation thing...If i were given the document and had to translate it on the spot, I wouldn't do too well, but given enough time and access to Google Translate for 'scholarly' words, I'd be able to do it. I'm guessing that doesn't count?

Is that question really asking how fluent you are ie to the point that you can read and understand scholarly works in that language well enough to translate?

So for the translation thing...If i were given the document and had to translate it on the spot, I wouldn't do too well, but given enough time and access to Google Translate for 'scholarly' words, I'd be able to do it. I'm guessing that doesn't count?

Is that question really asking how fluent you are ie to the point that you can read and understand scholarly works in that language well enough to translate?

If it's questionable, I wouldn't put it. What if your interviewer happens to be fluent in the same language as you? That sounds like a pretty easy way to tank your application for very little possibility of reward.

I'm fluent in a couple languages but I'm not putting anything down for that bc I wouldn't know how to say, for instance, "kidney" or something in those languages.

For some of the secondary questions, like collegiate extracurriculars or paid employment, do you guys write an actual paragraph or list them in bullet points or something?

For extracurriculars, i just put clubs I was in. Did you guys include other things?

I've added clubs, volunteering, tutoring, internships, if it was tied with a college I put it in

@Ismet

1-4. Census info (name, major, etc)

5. If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. 250word

6. From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English? 100char

7. In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? 400char

8. Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? (Y/N)
→ If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? 300word

9. If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. 300word

10. What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? 300word

11. Is there anything else you would like us to know? 300word

12-15. more census (parent's occupations, etc)