2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I was recently admitted to Albany and I sent my deposit 3 days ago, but my online status still says they haven't received it. Should I should call the Office to check on the deposit? I'm just worried because they say they need the deposit within 4 days of all the completed documents.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I was recently admitted to Albany and I sent my deposit 3 days ago, but my online status still says they haven't received it. Should I should call the Office to check on the deposit? I'm just worried because they say they need the deposit within 4 days of all the completed documents.

First off, congratulations! I would really recommend sending an email to them with your AMCAS ID number and a description of your situation. I have found that they respond very quickly, even faster than a phone call, and they will sort things out generally within a day. I'm sure that if you paid it it's a matter of their system updating to reflect that, but it's certainly worth following up with them.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what fraction of the UC list is eventually given acceptance?

Don't wanna play this waiting game anymore.**

Last edited:
On the application portal, it gives you a status as of X date, does this update only when someone actually looks at your file or does it automatically update every day? Every day I check, it gives me the date of the day before.

Anybody know what fraction of the UC list is eventually given acceptance?

Don't wanna play this waiting game anymore.**

I still think it's way early for much UC movement. I scoured previous threads, and most movement seems to occur in Jan, and then again in April.

So it looks like they send out acceptance emails on Wednesday generally? I looked back at the last few waves and that seems to be the case. My neuroticism is getting worse...

Just got an email that I am on hold... This late in the game what does that even mean? Is this actually different than a rejection?

Just got an email that I am on hold... This late in the game what does that even mean? Is this actually different than a rejection?
Well ,I've still heard nothing. So I guess a hold is different from a silent rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
They put a lot of applicants on hold around this time last year. One user emailed them and stated that there were two categories: "interview eligible" and "interview hold".

I inquired AMC about the hold status. They replied that at this point in the application cycle, they are inviting applicants from the interview eligible category. We have not started inviting applicants in the hold category; we are not certain at this point if it will be necessary to utilize the hold category.

Congrats to the acceptees! Looks like my theory bout Wednesdays is holding up

Complete mid August and nothing, not even a hold :/

Reactions: 10 users
Interviewed last week and just got an email that I am now "under consideration". The email makes it sound like they don't dip into the UC pool until after they've finished the interview season, but looking back people who interviewed earlier in the year then placed UC have already been accepted. Anyone know if there's still a chance of getting an acceptance before the interview season is done?

Interviewed last week and just got an email that I am now "under consideration". The email makes it sound like they don't dip into the UC pool until after they've finished the interview season, but looking back people who interviewed earlier in the year then placed UC have already been accepted. Anyone know if there's still a chance of getting an acceptance before the interview season is done?
Yes, during my interview an admissions officer said that applications are scored to have a certain number of points after your interview. The scores are ranked and they start pulling off acceptances from the top of that list as they hand out seats each week. So someone who is UC could score higher than recent interviewees, so they will be given an acceptance over the more recent interviewee. That's how people who are UC are getting acceptances before the end of the interview season. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Received my (first) acceptance here today! Interviewed on the week of Thanksgiving

Reactions: 2 users
Starting to wonder if I'll ever have a decision made on my "under review" application

Rejected today, no interview, complete since early September. This was my first choice, lived and worked in Albany for my entire life. IS, 3.4/514 somewhat non-trad.

My interview is coming up and I fly out of Albany international at 3:45pm. To those who have already interviewed, did you get out around 1pm like the interview schedule says?

Rejected today, no interview, complete since early September. This was my first choice, lived and worked in Albany for my entire life. IS, 3.4/514 somewhat non-trad.

This is a brutal process..hang in there buddy

My interview is coming up and I fly out of Albany international at 3:45pm. To those who have already interviewed, did you get out around 1pm like the interview schedule says?
The school is pretty good about sticking to the schedule. Also the line for TSA in Albany is usually empty so even if you got out an hour late (which you won't) you'd have plenty of time to catch your flight.

The school is pretty good about sticking to the schedule. Also the line for TSA in Albany is usually empty so even if you got out an hour late (which you won't) you'd have plenty of time to catch your flight.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Edit: Also are there any current students that live close to AMC that would be willing to host me for 1 night next Monday? Would love to pay for a meal or 2 as well.

What does complete silence mean at this point? Complete with this and many other schools since around 8/01.. so much silence!

Just got an Under Consideration email today. Interviewed mid-December.

Not too hopeful about getting in. Waiting game continues..

Anyone here interviewing tomorrow want to meet up tonight? Get a drink? Talk about MMI's? Practice MMI's?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Anyone else who's accepted, have you heard about when background checks go out? I haven't gotten the email and thought it was sent the beginning of January

Anyone else who's accepted, have you heard about when background checks go out? I haven't gotten the email and thought it was sent the beginning of January

I'm on hold here, but I've been accepted at another school for a while and just got the background check email today. They're probably coming out gradually over the course of the month!

STILL under review :(
Bad sign?

I'm not sure if this what everyone is seeing or if I'm being dumb, but is there an actual place on the online portal that says your status? I know there is the "Application Status" tab, but I had an interview in December and was placed under consideration, and the application status only says my application is complete and ready for review. Are people only seeing they are on hold or under consideration due to the emails they've received? Or am I missing something on the portal?

Thanks!

Hey yall - interviewing here this month. Have any of you had MMIs at other schools and if so, would you say it's similar to here? I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on it from another interview, but didn't know if there was any school-specific advice anyone might have :) Thanks!

Does anyone have any good resources for learning and practicing MMI's? Anything you found online or read that helped? Please let me know!

Does anyone have any good resources for learning and practicing MMI's? Anything you found online or read that helped? Please let me know!
I watched all of the Course Grinder MMI videos on YouTube to help myself feel prepared. However, there really isn't anything that can prepare you for these. Just be yourself and answer honestly--that's really the best anyone can do. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I watched all of the Course Grinder MMI videos on YouTube to help myself feel prepared. However, there really isn't anything that can prepare you for these. Just be yourself and answer honestly--that's really the best anyone can do. Good luck!

Thanks for your help!

For anyone who has interviewed and is under consideration, have you considered sending a letter of continued interest to the Admissions peeps?

Good idea? Meh idea? Bad idea?

I used "Multiple Mini Interview For The Mind" by Kevyn To, MD and "Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) - Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty" by Dr. Desai. I'd recommend both!

For anyone who has interviewed and is under consideration, have you considered sending a letter of continued interest to the Admissions peeps?

Good idea? Meh idea? Bad idea?

i didn't think they accepted any updates, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't know where to send one.