2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope. Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show that may or may not happen.;)
I'll bring the beverages!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will bring cupcakes. And possibly board games to keep us occupied for the long wait. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
I will bring cupcakes. And possibly board games to keep us occupied for the long wait. :unsure:
Ooh, good idea. I can contribute Cards Against Humanity, Settlers of Catan, shot glass chess, and the Star Wars version of Life.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off of the HPWL earlier today!! Absolutely overjoyed, as this was my top choice!!!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

If anyone has housing suggestions can you post them or message me! Looking for places that are pet friendly!

Reactions: 14 users
Time to wait another week.... or another year....

Last edited:
Wait why? I don't think that we are bound by the 3PM rule now that interviews are over and there isn't cookie hour. Last week and the week before people reported calls going out a bit later. Also, I don't think calls are going out just on Wednesdays but maybe so. Don't lose hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ooh, good idea. I can contribute Cards Against Humanity, Settlers of Catan, shot glass chess, and the Star Wars version of Life.

Emphatic yes to Settlers!

Wait why? I don't think that we are bound by the 3PM rule now that interviews are over and there isn't cookie hour. Last week and the week before people reported calls going out a bit later. Also, I don't thing calls are going out just on Wednesdays but maybe so. Don't lose hope!

^^ I'm with nightfury.... most of us applied like 11 months ago. Let's not lose hope now!

I wonder, can one call and ask what the waitlist situation is looking like this year?? Or is that not cool? The uncertainty is killing me! (i have no acceptances yet unfortunately :/)

I wonder, can one call and ask what the waitlist situation is looking like this year?? Or is that not cool? The uncertainty is killing me! (i have no acceptances yet unfortunately :/)

I think that in one of the most recent past threads, there was an applicant who did ask, but I'm not sure how they did it.
I'm guessing a simple phone call?

As for me, it has been getting to the point that I've been repeatedly consulting the magic 8 ball. Oh boy... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...wish Jefferson just accept all of us already. haha

Right? Is that really too much to ask?? Ha ha

I wish they could tell us how many spots were left

Hey Aly,

Just wanted to let you know that I tried contacting admissions office about the waitlist movement, and I had to leave a message instead. Funny thing is I tried to contacting them last week as well, but it didn't work out.

Sigh....:(

Has anyone had any luck either getting more aid from the office with a request or with leverage from a different school's offer?

Last edited:
They haven't even responded to my emails. Did you try to get more money or did you have another school's offer to show them.

I not so subtly mentioned a larger scholarship offer from another school, and got a "we'll see" response that led to nothing. Then again I also mentioned that I loved Jeff and would probably matriculate either way. So I'm chalking this loss up to honesty/karma points.

Every time I send in an interest email to the Deans.
4M6dejU.gif

Reactions: 6 users
They haven't even responded to my emails. Did you try to get more money or did you have another school's offer to show them.
Maybe since it's past the multiple acceptances deadline they already know you have chosen them??

Maybe since it's past the multiple acceptances deadline they already know you have chosen them??

I just got accepted to UMass off the waitlist on friday. Still waiting for the aid offer from them, but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot cheaper. I'd prefer to go to Jeff, but might be swayed depending on how substantial the difference is.

I just got accepted to UMass off the waitlist on friday. Still waiting for the aid offer from them, but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot cheaper. I'd prefer to go to Jeff, but might be swayed depending on how substantial the difference is.
Oh nice congrats!! :soexcited:

This is great because I had a question about this. I was accepted at my state school, but am still on the WL at Jeff. Jeff is my top choice but finically speaking the state school is the obvious choice for me. But, I wasn't sure how long we had to make a decision if accepted off of the wait list somewhere else. Being able to wait for Jeff's financial aid package would be amazing, but I wasn't sure if you had to make a decision right away. Any information on this?

How long do you have to make a decision? 2 weeks?

Oh nice congrats!! :soexcited:

This is great because I had a question about this. I was accepted at my state school, but am still on the WL at Jeff. Jeff is my top choice but finically speaking the state school is the obvious choice for me. But, I wasn't sure how long we had to make a decision if accepted off of the wait list somewhere else. Being able to wait for Jeff's financial aid package would be amazing, but I wasn't sure if you had to make a decision right away. Any information on this?

You should check this out - https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf - it's from last year so it still says May 15th.

@ridethecliche According to section 8, Jeff knows you have another acceptance even without telling them. Not sure if that influences their decision to up your aid.

@nightfury414 Jeff has to give you a minimum 5 days to make a decision or at least a decent about of time to figure out financial aid.

You should check this out - https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf - it's from last year so it still says May 15th.

@ridethecliche According to section 8, Jeff knows you have another acceptance even without telling them. Not sure if that influences their decision to up your aid.

@nightfury414 Jeff has to give you a minimum 5 days to make a decision or at least a decent about of time to figure out financial aid.
Thanks! That is great news because there is an almost 20k difference per year in tuition for me and that is without receiving any aid from my state school. Do any current students know how likely it is to get scholarship or aid money when taken from the WL at a school?

Has anyone had any luck either getting more aid from the office with a request or with leverage from a different school's offer?

I tried but didn't have any luck either.

I not so subtly mentioned a larger scholarship offer from another school, and got a "we'll see" response that led to nothing. Then again I also mentioned that I loved Jeff and would probably matriculate either way. So I'm chalking this loss up to honesty/karma points.

Same thing happened to me. I contacted them about a week before the deadline, saying that I had a half tuition scholarship offer from another school but that I would rather go to Jeff. I was told that they might be able to "adjust" my award later on but that I was currently awarded the max for the time being and that a half tuition scholarship would never be a possibility. Ended up choosing Jeff anyway - you can't put a price on happiness!

Oh, I told Jeff right away and Dean CC responded to me. I love Jeff and want to go there badly, but need to pay attention to finances. I hope they can do anything at all otherwise I might have to end up at umass :/

Also, Dean CC is really awesome. No matter how this ends up I have a lot of respect and admiration for her.

Oh, I told Jeff right away and Dean CC responded to me. I love Jeff and want to go there badly, but need to pay attention to finances. I hope they can do anything at all otherwise I might have to end up at umass :/

Also, Dean CC is really awesome. No matter how this ends up I have a lot of respect and admiration for her.
UMass is a great school! I have a friend there who loves it. I mean, I know you want Jeff but its not a bad second option :) I'm in the same boat.

UMass is a great school! I have a friend there who loves it. I mean, I know you want Jeff but its not a bad second option :) I'm in the same boat.

You got into umass?

I don't really think Worcester is for me.

No not with UMass. I realize what I wrote made that kind of unclear. I meant that I am in the same boat with another school. Jeff is my top choice but my state school is much cheaper so if Jeff accepts me it's going to be a tough choice based partly on finances.

Waiting patiently by the phone, hoping today is the day!

tumblr_mc778vf4uz1qih9gi.gif

Hey so this might seem like a dumb question, but for those accepted, do you get an email after the acceptance call from Dr. Callahan? All I've received is a welcome from their IT department...

Hey so this might seem like a dumb question, but for those accepted, do you get an email after the acceptance call from Dr. Callahan? All I've received is a welcome from their IT department...
No email, but expect a congratulatory card in the mail with instructions on how to pay the acceptance deposit a week or so after being accepted.

I'm going to give it a few more days and call Jefferson right now to talk about aid, but I have a feeling I might have to make a call I really don't want to make.

I'm going to give it a few more days and call Jefferson right now to talk about aid, but I have a feeling I might have to make a call I really don't want to make.
That's a real bummer. But on the positive side, think about the position you're in.

Hope it works out with Jeff!

Is it just me or is it strange that relatively few people have posted since May 1st that they've been accepted from HPWL? I thought it was going to be like a floodgate opening kind of thing. Is it just that those people aren't posting, or have they not been so quick to go the phones this year?

Is it just me or is it strange that relatively few people have posted since May 1st that they've been accepted from HPWL? I thought it was going to be like a floodgate opening kind of thing. Is it just that those people aren't posting, or have they not been so quick to go the phones this year?
No way to know, but it has only been a week. I would expect most movement to happen by the end of the month.

I truly think that for med schools in general (granted I'm only looking at a few boards still) the number of waitlist spots are going to start decreasing from now on. There are just too many qualified applicants. Sure you'll have those people with LizzyM's of 78 who get into every program, but for the growing majority of us with mid percentile stats, most are just taking their first acceptance and holding on to it. The only mitigating factor, as we're seeing now, is the financial aid.