2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

About-to-be-MS2 here. I'm open to answering any questions you guys may have about applying to and being a student at Jefferson. Feel free to PM or post here (just tag me).

About-to-be-MS2 here. I'm open to answering any questions you guys may have about applying to and being a student at Jefferson. Feel free to PM or post here (just tag me).
Trying to pick one out of Jefferson/Temple/Drexel.... if you've interviewed or know of all three, why Jefferson?

Members don't see this ad :)

And does Jefferson have an in-state bias at all?

Trying to pick one out of Jefferson/Temple/Drexel.... if you've interviewed or know of all three, why Jefferson?
I was accepted at all three schools. I personally had a bad experience at my Drexel interview day, so that was immediately thrown out. Temple and Jefferson were both quite comparable to me in terms of education. I ended up liking the student body and location of Jefferson much better. Cost-wise, Jefferson actually ends up costing me less due to some scholarship money.

And does Jefferson have an in-state bias at all?
Jefferson is the official state school for Delaware, so there is a slight preference for DE residents as well as PA residents. That being said, the preference isn't as profound as other classically state schools.

Reactions: 1 user

Pre clinical grading scheme and distance to undergraduate campus?

I work with Drexel, work at and was accepted to Temple, and will be attending Jeff. For me, it was the people (seriously, Doctor Strange is not an outlier, everyone has been exceptionally nice), the defined research programs (College within a College), and the location. I love Temple and the surrounding community, but hauling up to North Philly for another four years was going to wear on me.

Pre clinical grading scheme and distance to undergraduate campus?

There is no UG campus.

applying here... also a top choice for me... have my fingers crossed:)

applying here but would like some insight on whether it's worth it. 3.93 cGPA 3.978 sGPA 29 MCAT (12P 8V 9B). Solid ECs.... Do I have a shot? (NJ Resident)

applying here but would like some insight on whether it's worth it. 3.93 cGPA 3.978 sGPA 29 MCAT (12P 8V 9B). Solid ECs.... Do I have a shot? (NJ Resident)
Average MCAT for Jefferson is around a 32. You have a great GPA, but there is a distinct disconnect between that and your MCAT score. I wouldn't completely rule Jefferson out, but you're going to make a compelling argument and let them know that you're interested if you'd like an interview.

Average MCAT for Jefferson is around a 32. You have a great GPA, but there is a distinct disconnect between that and your MCAT score. I wouldn't completely rule Jefferson out, but you're going to make a compelling argument and let them know that you're interested if you'd like an interview.
Ahh gotcha, I'm going to do my best! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I found a secondary on their website and it doesn't include the optional essay. Was that how it was last year? I'm not sure if I should pre-write it or not.

So I found a secondary on their website and it doesn't include the optional essay. Was that how it was last year? I'm not sure if I should pre-write it or not.

There was an optional essay last year and there usually is. Don't know if they changed it, obviously.. but I don't see why they would.

Just wondering what drew you guys to Jefferson? Still in the process of building my school list and everyone seems to have this school on their radar.

Just wondering what drew you guys to Jefferson? Still in the process of building my school list and everyone seems to have this school on their radar.

Incoming MS1 here, so my experiences are obviously limited but...

The best part about Jeff to me is the community/vibe on campus. Definitely among the happiest medical students I've met and almost everyone is really proud to be a part of Jeff. The vibe is just amazing and it feels like a great place to get a medical education. I think it's really important to identify a school that you'll enjoy your time in.. because it will have a monumental impact on your medical school experience/success. I've yet to talk to someone who hasn't felt that way about Jeff.

Throw in block scheduling, a huge hospital system (resources to do pretty much whatever you want to do EC-wise) and being smack dab in the middle of Philly.. I'm pumped to start there in a month or so!

I think a lot of people have it on their radar because it's one of the larger classes (260 students) so they get way more applications than most schools. Make sure to really convey why you are interested in Jefferson.. because they have more than enough applicants to fill a class purely on stats/ECs.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for responding! I'm applying here cause its only shy of 3 hours from CT where my folks live plus Philly seems to be a really exiciting city to be in! Just another question though, what kind of students do they seem to be looking for?

Thanks for responding! I'm applying here cause its only shy of 3 hours from CT where my folks live plus Philly seems to be a really exiciting city to be in! Just another question though, what kind of students do they seem to be looking for?

Again, take this with a grain of salt (Doc Strange will have a better answer for this question because he's experienced more admissions-wise).. but it felt to me like they are looking for the kind of student that isn't strictly academic. They seemed to place a big emphasis on volunteering in one's community specifically. They have enough applicants that numbers alone won't really do it. You don't need stellar ECs but definitely be ready to expand on your non-academic commitments in the interview. I don't think we even spoke about academics..

I'd also point out that they pride themselves on producing practitioners. That's not to say that you shouldn't apply if you plan to do research/not practice, but I think they do prefer for people that ultimately want to practice.

Just my impressions, @Doctor Strange can probably elaborate better.

That's awesome! Actually just what I like to hear. 2 out of the 3 meaningful exp's were actually my time at a nursing home and as a pct at a teaching hospital. Hopefully, someday I'd become a full-fledged clinician.

Again, take this with a grain of salt (Doc Strange will have a better answer for this question because he's experienced more admissions-wise).. but it felt to me like they are looking for the kind of student that isn't strictly academic. They seemed to place a big emphasis on volunteering in one's community specifically. They have enough applicants that numbers alone won't really do it. You don't need stellar ECs but definitely be ready to expand on your non-academic commitments in the interview. I don't think we even spoke about academics..

I'd also point out that they pride themselves on producing practitioners. That's not to say that you shouldn't apply if you plan to do research/not practice, but I think they do prefer for people that ultimately want to practice.

Just my impressions, @Doctor Strange can probably elaborate better.
My future colleague here summed it up pretty well. From a student interviewer perspective, it's definitely a big plus for me if you can speak passionately about your hobbies and ECs that are OUTSIDE of academics and medicine. If you've gotten an interview, I already assume that you've jumped through all the academic hoops, so I'm looking for something more than that; I'm looking for an amazing personality.

Reactions: 4 users
Applying here OOS! I am a big fan of Philly, and I have quite a few family members close by. Good luck to you guys!

Thanks for adding in Doctor Strange! Yeah I do have a lot of hobbies outside of studying to keep me sane, as I'm sure a lot of pre-meds do.

Damn, he prob thought that it was his prime chance to spew out his EC's. Was that at a formal interview or at, say, a lunch meeting? So if you ask an interviewee that question (perhaps in an informal setting), it is okay to say out quirky things like, yeah I was in a choir in HS but I never got the chance to explore it in college so I sing karaoke all the time for fun? I'm also into full contact sports..which is ironic considering that I work in a hospital to help pt's "heal" but then during plays I deck out a guy and make him chew dirt.

Damn, he prob thought that it was his prime chance to spew out his EC's. Was that at a formal interview or at, say, a lunch meeting? So if you ask an interviewee that question (perhaps in an informal setting), it is okay to say out quirky things like, yeah I was in a choir in HS but I never got the chance to explore it in college so I sing karaoke all the time for fun? I'm also into full contact sports..which is ironic considering that I work in a hospital to help pt's "heal" but then during plays I deck out a guy and make him chew dirt.
It was during a formal interview. And, quite frankly, your long lost passion for singing is the kind of thing I like to hear during a student interview. I know some great karaoke places around Philly.

Reactions: 1 user
It was during a formal interview. And, quite frankly, your long lost passion for singing is the kind of thing I like to hear during a student interview. I know some great karaoke places around Philly.

So it seems like what you are looking for with these questions is a sense of personality on the side of the interviewee. I guess to differentiate a potential doctor from an academic automaton. Right?

Applying here. 3.57 BCPM GPA, 35 MCAT, AMCAS approved on 6/11

@Doctor Strange Did you write anything for the 'additional comments' section of the secondary? Hope you can offer some clarification on what Jeff is looking for

@Doctor Strange Did you write anything for the 'additional comments' section of the secondary? Hope you can offer some clarification on what Jeff is looking for
I did, but I actually don't remember exactly what I wrote. I think I just used the extra space as a place to put a "diversity" essay and quickly summarized why I would be a good fit for Jefferson.

:p:p
I did, but I actually don't remember exactly what I wrote. I think I just used the extra space as a place to put a "diversity" essay and quickly summarized why I would be a good fit for Jefferson.
Thanks doc. Hopefully you won't be a stranger in this thread

BIG news for Jefferson today:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...son-gets-110m-gift-for-medical-education.html

Students were notified this morning but that's the first piece I've seen in the press. The Kimmel Foundation also donated money for the Kimmel Cancer Center at Jefferson. The medical school will be renamed from Jefferson Medical College to the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University.

BIG news for Jefferson today:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...son-gets-110m-gift-for-medical-education.html

Students were notified this morning but that's the first piece I've seen in the press. The Kimmel Foundation also donated money for the Kimmel Cancer Center at Jefferson. The medical school will be renamed from Jefferson Medical College to the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University.
Yeah, there was a big hoo-hah about it this morning when the news broke. Most of us aren't... particularly happy about the sudden change.

Yeah, there was a big hoo-hah about it this morning when the news broke. Most of us aren't... particularly happy about the sudden change.
Any idea what the implications of this are from a students perspective?

Any idea what the implications of this are from a students perspective?
The name change? Little to none. Most will likely still refer to it as JMC for many years to come, similar to the Perelman School of Medicine still being called "Penn Med." The actual money is going towards building scholarships/grants, funding research, and keeping the classrooms up-to-date with technology and resources.

The name change? Little to none.
I guess I was referring more to if there is any sense of how it will be used specifically to help students/academics in the short/long term. I'm guessing students wont "feel" much of a difference, besides having to buy a shirt with a different name on it.

I'm planning on pre-writing the secondary sometime this week. Should I use the new name or the old name when I'm writing it?

I'm planning on pre-writing the secondary sometime this week. Should I use the new name or the old name when I'm writing it?
I don't think that's the most significant part of pre-writing haha. Just ctrl+F/replace later depending on what name they use on the actual secondary when it's released

Make sure to really convey why you are interested in Jefferson.. because they have more than enough applicants to fill a class purely on stats/ECs.

Also an incoming MS1. Jepstein30 is preaching the truth! Jeff loves updates and if you can convey why you want to be a student there, you will be able to set yourself apart from the >10,000 other applicants.

Good luck everyone!

I think going with Jefferson Medical College is still a safe bet. Not many people besides the student body and faculty know about the name change yet, and I suspect it's going to be another couple months before it even takes effect. Dr. Brooks and Dr. Callahan are not the type of people that are going to fault you for not using a new name that's only been revealed less than a month ago.

Regarding the name change, as it now stands, it looks like students matriculating before the name change (i.e., Class of 2017 and above), will still have "Jefferson Medical College" printed on their diplomas. Students matriculating after will have the new name.

Regarding the name change, as it now stands, it looks like students matriculating before the name change (i.e., Class of 2017 and above), will still have "Jefferson Medical College" printed on their diplomas. Students matriculating after will have the new name.

Darnit!

I'm surprised things moved so quickly. The website now has the new name plastered everywhere.. don't things like these usually take a few months to transition? Seems weird they just announced it one day and implemented it the very next.

What a terrible change. I feel like a lot of Jefferson's reputation is wrapped up in its name, since it does not have an undergraduate institution and it is known primarily as a medical college.

What a terrible change. I feel like a lot of Jefferson's reputation is wrapped up in its name, since it does not have an undergraduate institution and it is known primarily as a medical college.

+1

It's not really going to affect things much. It's still officially the Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University and honestly, noone is going to refer to it as Kimmel for quite some time.

Same thing with other medical schools that have recently been renamed ala Mount Sinai, Temple, Penn, etc.

I would have liked a smoother transition and maybe a name that incorporates the Jefferson reputation a little more but it's not the end of the world. Only difference is literally what will be on the diploma... and it's all latin anyways.