2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got off HPWL. Got the call this morning (PST) from Dean Callahan! There is movement keep your heads up :)

Reactions: 6 users
Wow, guess I'm on the low priority end of the HPWL....

Congrats to everyone else!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just called back and I got accepted off HPWL! I'm gonna call back tomorrow with my decision, I was so set on Temple I had given up hope for Jeff

Reactions: 5 users
Just called back and I got accepted off HPWL! I'm gonna call back tomorrow with my decision, I was so set on Temple I had given up hope for Jeff

So are you undecided between the two? As a person on the HPWL I hope you choose Temple haha. Regardless, congrats on both acceptances.

So are you undecided between the two? As a person on the HPWL I hope you choose Temple haha. Regardless, congrats on both acceptances.

I think I'm going to accept Jeff. I just thought I should take at least one night to make sure before deciding officially.

Wow, guess I'm on the low priority end of the HPWL....

Congrats to everyone else!

That's how I'm feeling right now too! Still have my hopes up but I feel like it's getting pretty late in the game at this point.

I'm so happy for the people who got off the HPWL, but so sad at the same time haha. Still hoping for some good news!

It's not over 'til it's over. If you want it bad, I would make it known closer to the last weeks that you'll take a spot no matter what (even if it's a day before school scenario) and give them logistical reasons why. That was my plan prior to today.

People are getting offers from other waitlists and giving up their spots at Jeff into the summer. Wishing everyone the best of luck and to try your best to not think about it too much (I know it's hard).

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all those recently accepted off HPWL and good luck to those still waiting to hear back!

I was wondering, when is it too early to buy concert tickets? One of my favorite bands is playing Philly the weekend of 9/11 and it's taking all my willpower not to buy my ticket now haha. I've checked the exam schedule, but I'd hate for something to pop up that would prevent me from going.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if this has been answered. But is there anything I have to do at this point for financial aid besides submit the FAFSA? I submitted that back in March.

I'm sorry if this has been answered. But is there anything I have to do at this point for financial aid besides submit the FAFSA? I submitted that back in March.
Log into the banner web and click on "financial aid." It will list all of your unfulfilled requirements

Hi all- I have a financial aid question as well. I'm currently accepted at Jefferson, but waitlisted at my state school. I love Jefferson, but will have to attend my state school should I get off the waitlist due to financial reasons. At what point should I 'accept' my financial aid award from Jefferson and apply for a graduate plus loan to cover the difference? If I get into my state school, will I be able to cancel the loan or give it back? Sorry, I have no prior experience with loans. I feel paralyzed by the amount of money I will be taking out to pay for medical school.

I had a dream last night I got off the waitlist here, with a scholarship. Stupid brain...

Reactions: 2 users
I had a dream last night I got off the waitlist here, with a scholarship. Stupid brain...
That's rough buddy... Maybe it was a vision of the future and you actually have the gift of foresight!

Can you email parents tax return to financial aid? I did it but haven't gotten a response from them. Mailed it too just in case.

Hi guys, I have a quick question. I recently got accepted off the wait list at another school. I'm currently on the wait list at Jeff. Can I write a letter mentioning that I recently got accepted at another school but Jeff is still my first choice ?

Hi guys, I have a quick question. I recently got accepted off the wait list at another school. I'm currently on the wait list at Jeff. Can I write a letter mentioning that I recently got accepted at another school but Jeff is still my first choice ?
I don't think that you have to but it wouldn't hurt. I also have an acceptance at another school but I am holding out for Jeff! Congrats on your acceptance!! (Was it your first one?)

Has anyone done the Readiness Assessment for the Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine (MCBM) yet? It says we have to do this before August 2 but when I log into blackboard there is nothing listed under courses.

Has anyone done the Readiness Assessment for the Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine (MCBM) yet? It says we have to do this before August 2 but when I log into blackboard there is nothing listed under courses.
The course should definitely be under your courses list.

Log into BB -> to the right-hand side of the screen under My Courses click on the course -> under the course page on the left-hand side click on the Readiness Assessment link

At least that's what I did. If you don't see any of that, I suggest calling or emailing Dr. Ronner.

The course should definitely be under your courses list.

Log into BB -> to the right-hand side of the screen under My Courses click on the course -> under the course page on the left-hand side click on the Readiness Assessment link

At least that's what I did. If you don't see any of that, I suggest calling or emailing Dr. Ronner.

Yup I just checked again and there is nothing listed for me for some reason.

Does Jefferson encourage applicants to submit 1 or 2 letters of rec (from research PIs, doctors, etc.) outside of the preferred 4 they have on their website?

Does Jefferson encourage applicants to submit 1 or 2 letters of rec (from research PIs, doctors, etc.) outside of the preferred 4 they have on their website?
I would say it is unnecessary to submit more than 4,

Reactions: 1 user
It's such a bummer seeing this thread dying down... I was so hopeful I'd be pulled from the HPWL

Reactions: 3 users
Philadelphians! I'm shopping for internet providers. As far as I can tell my choices are limited to Comcast and Verizon. Any advice on which to choose?

Philadelphians! I'm shopping for internet providers. As far as I can tell my choices are limited to Comcast and Verizon. Any advice on which to choose?
Those are the only choices that I'm aware of. Both are horrible and your question is basically asking if you'd rather be burned to death or skinned alive... The answer would preferably neither but you have to choose.

I chose Comcast because, at the time (2 years ago), they had the better intraductory rate. I'd switch but both are equally terrible.

Those are the only choices that I'm aware of. Both are horrible and your question is basically asking if you'd rather be burned to death or skinned alive... The answer would preferably neither but you have to choose.

I chose Comcast because, at the time (2 years ago), they had the better intraductory rate. I'd switch but both are equally terrible.
For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with Comcast for the past two years I've been living here.

Thanks for your input, guys! I was leaning towards Verizon, but they require me to also pay for phone service. Since I already have that I think I'm going to go with Comcast.

Thanks for your input, guys! I was leaning towards Verizon, but they require me to also pay for phone service. Since I already have that I think I'm going to go with Comcast.

I just signed up for Verizon FiOS yesterday. I never had problems with Comcast in the past, but since I was a customer a year ago they wouldn't let me open an account with any discounts. FiOS however waived my activation fee ($50), threw in a free technician install ($80), and gave me up front charges and total amounts I should expect with each plan I was considering (Comcast always refused to itemize exact fees). AND the tech even told me which models of modems I could purchase via 3rd party sellers to save a lot of money and avoid monthly rental fees. All and all, I was happy with my first encounter with Verizon and from experience I never had a single issue with Comcast that they didn't resolve with 5 minutes. I say go for whoever is offering you the best rate, but make sure you get IN WRITING all the little fees that they will try to sneak in since that $50 monthly service fee they advertise doesn't include broadcast fees, rental charges, and equipment fees.

Edit: That's weird that they are requiring you to add phone service. I literally signed up for just internet, no TV or phone.

Last edited:
For those with an acceptance,

Are any of you guys still waiting on other schools/deciding between Jeff and a newly acquired acceptance? Just trying to give myself and the other HPWLers any bit of hope that might still be there!

Either way, congrats and good luck with your futures!

I just signed up for Verizon FiOS yesterday. I never had problems with Comcast in the past, but since I was a customer a year ago they wouldn't let me open an account with any discounts. FiOS however waived my activation fee ($50), threw in a free technician install ($80), and gave me up front charges and total amounts I should expect with each plan I was considering (Comcast always refused to itemize exact fees). AND the tech even told me which models of modems I could purchase via 3rd party sellers to save a lot of money and avoid monthly rental fees. All and all, I was happy with my first encounter with Verizon and from experience I never had a single issue with Comcast that they didn't resolve with 5 minutes. I say go for whoever is offering you the best rate, but make sure you get IN WRITING all the little fees that they will try to sneak in since that $50 monthly service fee they advertise doesn't include broadcast fees, rental charges, and equipment fees.

Edit: That's weird that they are requiring you to add phone service. I literally signed up for just internet, no TV or phone.
I wanted FIOS, but they don't offer it in my area (I triple checked). So my only option was Verizon High Speed Internet Enhanced which requires the phone service. :/

At least you have a choice. Back when I went there Comcast was the only game in town. I actually remember they were laying the cable for Verizon just as I left.

For those with an acceptance,

Are any of you guys still waiting on other schools/deciding between Jeff and a newly acquired acceptance? Just trying to give myself and the other HPWLers any bit of hope that might still be there!

Either way, congrats and good luck with your futures!
It would be super awesome if people could share this info with us if/when they make a decision. Maybe it will give us false hope because undoubtedly there will be little movement from here on out, but its something to look forward too. Even if we aren't the one chosen from the list, just seeing movement would be amazing!

My state school :) I loved it during my interview, but Jeff just had a little something more for me!

Looking pretty unlikely that I'm going to get in at this point so before the school year starts I wanted to wish everyone starting in the fall (regardless of where you ended up) good luck! And to those that did not get in this year, you are awesome and next year I am confident that you are going to get in somewhere!! This is an awesome thread and I am still hoping to hear back but I know that we are all going to be amazing physicians someday!!

Reactions: 6 users