2014-2015 David Geffen School of Medicine University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received, Can't access though like the rest. LizzyM >= 75. IS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what do you mean you folks learned? Did you receive them in a past cycle and it didnt work out? Are you reapplicants?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. For me, this is my first time applying. I have friends who applied to the past cycle with >35 >3.8 who received the secondary, but did not receive an II.

3.39 and 29 and received secondary... not URM either!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just called the WebD. They said to wait a day or two for it to update. If it doesn't, they told me to call them back!

I think the portal is updating. The supplementary just showed up.

OOS LizzyM>75. Secondary notification email received. How many secondaries did they give out each year? anybody?

Secondary received. IS LizzyM = 79. Got the primary received email this morning as well.

Okay, after fuddle the website for a little bit on my own (the admission office phone was busy). Here is how I found the secondary form,
---Click UCLA on the bottom left, then it'll take you to log in, make sure you select application year 2015.
You're welcome! heh heh heh

Got it to work through the portal.

The committee would like to know about your interests, experiences, and personal characteristics which are relevant to a career in medicine. Please only provide information you believe is important. It is not necessary or required to supply information in all sections. Each response is limited to 800 characters. A character counter for each response has been included to assist you with this limitation. You can save your information by clicking either the 'Save' or 'Update' buttons at the bottom of this form. The information entered on this form will not be available to the Admissions Office until you electronically file the information by clicking the 'Submit' button and pay the document fee.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain.
What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled "hardship" and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship.Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

Reactions: 1 users
what do you mean you folks learned? Did you receive them in a past cycle and it didnt work out? Are you reapplicants?

Not a reapplicant, just saying excitement over secondary reception is tempered by the statistics and the quality of the applicant pool. Certainly our interview chances are doubled now, but just saying long way to go.

How bad is not speaking Spanish for UCLA!? I took a semester if Spanish but that's it.,..they highly recommend it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a secondary but I cant access it. Does anybody know if the 800 character limit include spaces?

Received a secondary but I cant access it. Does anybody know if the 800 character limit include spaces?
Referring you to my post several floor above regarding how to access the secondary. it does include space.

this is such a beeeeaaassstttttttttt :diebanana:

It is UCR's almost exactly with 800 characters instead of 250 words. If you get both its not too bad since you can copy/paste =)
who? guess I might as well apply there too

It sounds like everyone is receiving a secondary! i was surprised when i got mine. is there no screen this year?

It sounds like everyone is receiving a secondary! i was surprised when i got mine. is there no screen this year?

I'm sure there is a screen. There's one pretty much every year.

this is such a beeeeaaassstttttttttt :diebanana:
At first I didn't see the 800 characters. Instead I tried to figure out the character limitation by repetitively paste "aaaaaaaaa" into the blank. My heart sunk when the character counts passed 6000 and still no sign of any hope.

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't receive a "secondary invite" email, but when I logged on to my portal just now I saw that one had been requested! Guess it's time to get writing.

Also got a secondary today. IS with LizzyM 72-74. Now have gotten a secondary from every single medical school I applied to. :clap::soexcited::claps::nod::highfive::laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is it frowned upon to copy and paste my amcas descriptions?

By the way, UCLA and UCR have essentially the same secondary questions. Kill two birds with one stone here.:boom:

By the way, UCLA and UCR have essentially the same secondary questions. Kill two birds with one stone here.:boom:

The UCR program used to have the first two years at UCLA, for at least 30 years, and just got their med school last year I think.

Is it frowned upon to copy and paste my amcas descriptions?

I wouldn't do that. There's a reason they ask for them even though they have the AMCAS descriptions.

When you're checking off courses, do you mark no if you've only taken one semester but plan to take another during this academic year? Are they only referring to classes that show up on your transcript or future courses as well?

It says it's not necessary or required to supply information in all sections. Are you guys filling out all sections or just most of it?

The difference between 250 words and 800 characters seems immense...

How bad is not speaking Spanish for UCLA!? I took a semester if Spanish but that's it.,..they highly recommend it.

I think it's slightly helpful if you do but by no means a death sentence if you don't speak Spanish.

It says it's not necessary or required to supply information in all sections. Are you guys filling out all sections or just most of it?

If you have something substantial that adds to their representation of you, say it! If you don't, I wouldn't try to force something.

When you're checking off courses, do you mark no if you've only taken one semester but plan to take another during this academic year? Are they only referring to classes that show up on your transcript or future courses as well?

I'm not sure about this, maybe there's something on the webpage that has instructions about that? I don't remember it being a problem last year.

P.S. Does anyone know the actual way you're supposed to use multiquote? I've been pressing it and copying/pasting the quote box which seems inefficient.

just realized most of these questions are similar to U Miami... nailed it

5 essays down, 5 to go. Must...keep...going...

anyone know how rigorous the secondary screen is for ucla vs ucsf?