2014-2015 David Geffen School of Medicine University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a limit of 800 characters for essay responses. This includes spaces and punctuation. Please do not attempt to send more than the allotted amount since the system will not save your responses and your information form will be returned to you with an error. A character counter is provided to assist you with this limitation.
  • Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
  • What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
  • What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?
  • Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain.
  • What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
  • What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.
  • Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
  • List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).
  • If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.
  • Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Best of luck to everyone applying! CA resident here, and UCLA is definitely a top choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming MS1 here and happy to help out if anyone has questions...feel free to PM me or ask in the thread. There are several other more experienced Bruins who hang around these threads as well. Good luck!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear UCLA
Accept me and I'll buy you
All the Diddy Riese

Reactions: 5 users
One of my top five dream schools. Willing to take the risk of applying here :xf:

Reactions: 2 users
I recently decided to apply here too -- it looks like a great program! One question I have is about all of the different tracks: the regular Geffen MD program, PRIME, Drew, and UCR partnership. How integrated do all of the students feel? I know that some of them spend either clinical or pre-clinical years on different campuses... But when they are on the same campus, is it a united student body or basically separated by track?

I recently decided to apply here too -- it looks like a great program! One question I have is about all of the different tracks: the regular Geffen MD program, PRIME, Drew, and UCR partnership. How integrated do all of the students feel? I know that some of them spend either clinical or pre-clinical years on different campuses... But when they are on the same campus, is it a united student body or basically separated by track?
If I remember correctly about Drew, the preclinical years are taken together but the clinical rotations are taken in different locations.

Last edited:
Incoming MS1 here and happy to help out if anyone has questions...feel free to PM me or ask in the thread. There are several other more experienced Bruins who hang around these threads as well. Good luck!! :)

Pre clinical grading scheme and distance to undergraduate campus?

I believe the UCR partnership is no more, since UCR has their own medical school now. (Correct me if I am wrong).

If I remember correctly about Drew, the preclinical years are taken together but the clinical rotations are taken in different locations.

"Students admitted to the Charles R. Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program benefit from both CDU and UCLA in a combined curriculum. The two years of the program are conducted at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and focus on the development of a firm foundation in the basic sciences with an emphasis on clinical applications. The last two years of the program are spent on the CDU campus and in affiliated clinics and hospitals. - See more at: http://www.cdrewu.edu/Admin/UG/overview#sthash.6i4mX8xZ.dpuf"

I have a question about LORs for UCLA. Should we assign the letters now in amcas? Or wait until the primary has been reviewed by UCLA and they request the letters?

Pre clinical grading scheme and distance to undergraduate campus?

True pass/fail grading with no preclinical grades having weight on AOA status (no junior AOA). The medical school is on the undergraduate campus. :)

I have a question about LORs for UCLA. Should we assign the letters now in amcas? Or wait until the primary has been reviewed by UCLA and they request the letters?
Assign the letters now in AMCAS, it has no negative effect and saves you some work down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether the admission committee for UCLA and UCLA/Drew are different?

Some info to help you, blatantly copying the always-ahead-of-the-curve @pyrrion89 in the UCSF thread! Please notify me of any corrections and I will edit.

Figures
NB: This info is specific to the Geffen program, not the Drew or PRIME programs. Usually there is a separate Drew thread.
~7,000 applicants (66% in-state)
~3,000 secondaries
~700 interviews (75% in-state)
~250 accepted (75% in-state)
~130 matriculants (85% in-state), ~180 if Drew/PRIME are included
Instate bias: "No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California." (Admissions website)

Secondary Application
Secondary application and status page: https://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/applications/appstat/appforms/statusmain.asp
Prompts for secondary application last year (may be different this year):
800 characters for each:
  1. Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
  2. What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
  3. What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
  4. What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
  5. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.
  6. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
  7. List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).
  8. If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.
  9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?
  10. One question asking you to describe what you've done if you've taken more than 1 year off of school.
Important Dates
Last year's first secondary application invitation: early-August
Last year's first interview invitation: mid-October (has been September in previous years)
Last year's first wave of acceptances: February 13th
Note about wait-list: UCLA typically does not notify you of being on the wait-list until very late in the cycle (hasn't happened this year as of June 4). This process is supposed to be changed in the coming years.

UCLA is extremely unique in how late in the application cycle it conducts its business. This is also being re-considered for future application cycles, so maybe this year things will get moving earlier! Try to be patient, and know that UCLA is worth it. Good luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello applicants and welcome to the UCLA thread for the future class of 2019. On behalf of the current student body I would like to welcome you and please feel free to ask any questions that to may have!

Does any one know what the criteria is for LORs is for UCLA? I can't find it on their website...Is it 2 science, 1 non science? Is there a maximum number?

Does any one know what the criteria is for LORs is for UCLA? I can't find it on their website...Is it 2 science, 1 non science? Is there a maximum number?

"Candidates are selected on the basis of the following considerations:

• Undergraduate record.
  • Medical College Admissions Test Scores.
  • Multiple Mini-interviews with members of the Admissions Committee.
  • Letters of Recommendation. (3-5 Letters will be requested after initial review)
  • Graduate Record, where applicable.
  • Life Experiences (research, volunteerism, etc)."

That's good to know the limit. Do you know if they specify what kinds of LORs they want sci, non sci...?

That's good to know the limit. Do you know if they specify what kinds of LORs they want sci, non sci...?
My understanding is they don't specify. So pick your 3-5 best...

My notes from last year say they want "2 from instructors" but do not specify science or non-science.

Also, good luck to all applying! I am an incoming medical student and current UCLA undergrad who will be more than happy to answer your questions regarding the applications.

My notes from last year say they want "2 from instructors" but do not specify science or non-science.

Also, good luck to all applying! I am an incoming medical student and current UCLA undergrad who will be more than happy to answer your questions regarding the applications.
This is right :), the email asking you to complete the secondary has the following text:

"2. A minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five), including two letters from your instructors. If your undergraduate school has a premedical committee or its equivalent, a COMMITTEE LETTER IS REQUIRED."

This is right :), the email asking you to complete the secondary has the following text:

"2. A minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five), including two letters from your instructors. If your undergraduate school has a premedical committee or its equivalent, a COMMITTEE LETTER IS REQUIRED."
Yeah, I agree. I believe when I applied the only requirement was that two of the letters were from your previous professors that you took a class with. And the third letter could be from anyone.

Best of luck to everyone!
I don't exactly have a copy of the MSAR book nor do I trust what's said online. Would someone mind telling me what the average GPA and MCAT score are for DGSOM? :)

Best of luck to everyone!
I don't exactly have a copy of the MSAR book nor do I trust what's said online. Would someone mind telling me what the average GPA and MCAT score are for DGSOM? :)
35 MCAT (34 last year), 3.8, 3.8 IIRC

Good luck everybody! Sorry I won't be there to see you all when you matriculate (sorry I'm not sorry actually... Unless I match at ucla)

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everybody! Sorry I won't be there to see you all when you matriculate (sorry I'm not sorry actually... Unless I match at ucla)
I was going to say, don't be sorry.

I believe those numbers are accepted median

You're right. I bought US Newsweek (matriculated data) and MSAR (accepted data). Both have same median MCAT. cGPA was 3.77 and 3.78, respectively.

hey guys, just trying to prewrite a little bit. and i encountered the question about "paid work experience" that was on last year's secondary. would like getting a stipend for doing a summer research program count? or do any "traditional" jobs count, like working as a waiter (like something that pays by the hour)? thanks!

hey guys, just trying to prewrite a little bit. and i encountered the question about "paid work experience" that was on last year's secondary. would like getting a stipend for doing a summer research program count? or do any "traditional" jobs count, like working as a waiter (like something that pays by the hour)? thanks!
Did that stipend come in terms of US dollars? If so then yes both types would qualify as PAID work experience.

wait if its not in US dollars, (like foreign fellowships), it doesn't count?

oh okay haha. i just was a bit confused on what exactly constituted "work" experience. but i get it know, thanks!

Applying here also. Hopefully I'll get some love from the west coast! Best of luck to everyone applying.

Some info to help you, blatantly copying the always-ahead-of-the-curve @pyrrion89 in the UCSF thread! Please notify me of any corrections and I will edit.

Figures
NB: This info is specific to the Geffen program, not the Drew or PRIME programs. Usually there is a separate Drew thread.
~7,000 applicants (66% in-state)
~3,000 secondaries
~700 interviews (75% in-state)
~250 accepted (75% in-state)
~130 matriculants (85% in-state), ~180 if Drew/PRIME are included
Instate bias: "No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California." (Admissions website)

Secondary Application
Secondary application and status page: https://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/applications/appstat/appforms/statusmain.asp
Prompts for secondary application last year (may be different this year):
800 characters for each:
  1. Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
  2. What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
  3. What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
  4. What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
  5. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.
  6. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
  7. List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).
  8. If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.
  9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?
  10. One question asking you to describe what you've done if you've taken more than 1 year off of school.
Important Dates
Last year's first secondary application invitation: early-August
Last year's first interview invitation: mid-October (has been September in previous years)
Last year's first wave of acceptances: February 13th
Note about wait-list: UCLA typically does not notify you of being on the wait-list until very late in the cycle (hasn't happened this year as of June 4). This process is supposed to be changed in the coming years.

UCLA is extremely unique in how late in the application cycle it conducts its business. This is also being re-considered for future application cycles, so maybe this year things will get moving earlier! Try to be patient, and know that UCLA is worth it. Good luck everyone!!!

For question 9, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?" Are the experience the ones in the future that have lead us to these goals in medical school and residency or experiences now before medical school that make me want to be in this place 10 years from now?

For question 9, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?" Are the experience the ones in the future that have lead us to these goals in medical school and residency or experiences now before medical school that make me want to be in this place 10 years from now?

In 10 years I see myself on a private yacht drinking champagne. My experience of winning $500 million in the lottery 9 years from now has led me to that goal.

Nah I'm pretty sure they want you to talk about experiences you've actually umm experienced

In 10 years I see myself on a private yacht drinking champagne. My experience of winning $500 million in the lottery 9 years from now has led me to that goal.

Nah I'm pretty sure they want you to talk about experiences you've actually umm experienced
This.

Go with experiences that you have actually experienced.

Reactions: 1 users
This conversation made me lol. What if I get paid in cookies and appreciation???
If you get paid in cookies then I expect you to share them with me.

Hello! Out of state gal over here. Applying for UCLA Prime. Hoping they give some love my way! :love:

I remember visiting their campus once with one of my PhD friend there.

We accidentally went out an emergency exit... setting off an alarm.

anyone get secondaries? every time this thread gets bumped it makes me think someone got a secondary

Reactions: 2 users
As an OOS application, is there significant disadvantage to applying to Prime/Drew vs. Geffen? Does anyone have OOS stats for any of these schools?
I don't think prime or drew favors is vs. oos. However, they do favor those that genuinely care about their mission statement.

can't wait for the secondary to come out.

Reactions: 3 users