2012-2013 Oregon Health and Science University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a couple that are younger. It looks like one or two from OSU, a couple from UO, and there was one (that I interviewed with) from BYU (but I think she took a gap year to apply and interview).

What are you saying about us outliers? Are you calling us old? :)

dsoz

Someone else got in from 10/26? Anyone else that you know of from our interview day?

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected. Interviewed 3/22

Friend who interviewed 3/29 also rejected today.

Omg, thank you all so much for your input. I'm still torn. Keep it coming if anyone else has anything to say. I only have a few days. I was leaning state and hoping to land an OHSU residency, but you all make great points. I already asked for a refund for my genetics class, was denied, and had to submit an appeal. I also submitted a deposit on the state medical frat (like the OHSU co-op, but don't have to be voted in). But I'm not dead set either way. I emailed the MD/PhD and office of diversity, but haven't heard anything. I even called the MD/PhD coordinator. And she's not there on Fridays. Thanks a bunch Johanna. :(

Anyway, keep the advice coming.

As for the Swindells, I'm an OOS and don't qualify. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg, thank you all so much for your input. I'm still torn. Keep it coming if anyone else has anything to say. I only have a few days. I was leaning state and hoping to land an OHSU residency, but you all make great points. I already asked for a refund for my genetics class, was denied, and had to submit an appeal. I also submitted a deposit on the state medical frat (like the OHSU co-op, but don't have to be voted in). But I'm not dead set either way. I emailed the MD/PhD and office of diversity, but haven't heard anything. I even called the MD/PhD coordinator. And she's not there on Fridays. Thanks a bunch Johanna. :(

I feel like I can't respond without seeming biased because I stand to gain from you giving up your spot, but I will say that as someone else with a large amount of undergraduate student debt, cost is playing a significant role in my decisionmaking. OHSU is going to end up being around $70k cheaper than the school where I've been accepted and that's one of the big reasons I'm holding out hope for OHSU. If I had been accepted to two excellent schools that I liked and one of them was going to be almost $150k cheaper than the other then I would go to the cheaper school in a heartbeat (assuming the cheaper school was someplace I wouldn't mind living). Then again I'm also planning on going into primary care so my salary trajectory isn't as dazzling as it might be otherwise.

I definitely think you should keep talking to OHSU and see if they're willing to work with you to make the costs more manageable though. They accepted you in the first round so clearly they like you and want you to stick around, and the fact that you got this other scholarship makes you even more desirable :)

I think you should be realistic/practical and go to your state school. OHSU is amazing, obviously, but I don't think ANY school is worth an extra 150 grand before interest, which will easily become 250+ with interest. There is a limit to subsidized loans so the majority of your loans will be at a much higher percentage than 6.8% which adds up VERY quickly.

Adding the 125k you already have to the 328k for attendance here is about 450k. That 450k will probably become close to 700k with interest accumulating during med school and residency. Assuming a very generous interest rate of 7% you will have to pay $50,000 in interest ALONE before you actually start paying off the loan. With a salary of 200k you probably will get max 120k after taxes. Then 50k of that for INTEREST only leaves 70k to live and try to pay down the actual sum.

Also, since OHSU is switching their curriculum your 3rd year may get very messy as the 2nd year class below you will be doing rotations at the same time and there are limited rotation spots so you may end up at a hospital you don't want to rotate at. Just a tid bit of information to try to make your decision easier.

Sorry if that was too harsh. Just trying to help you gain some perspective. You can always come to the west coast for residency or once you are an attending physician.

Rejected. O well thought I at least had a chance to be on the wait list. I have an acceptance somewhere so it does not sting much. Sorry for all those that got the ax and good luck to the rest of you on the wait list.

I think you should be realistic/practical and go to your state school. OHSU is amazing, obviously, but I don't think ANY school is worth an extra 150 grand before interest, which will easily become 250+ with interest. There is a limit to subsidized loans so the majority of your loans will be at a much higher percentage than 6.8% which adds up VERY quickly.

Adding the 125k you already have to the 328k for attendance here is about 450k. That 450k will probably become close to 700k with interest accumulating during med school and residency. Assuming a very generous interest rate of 7% you will have to pay $50,000 in interest ALONE before you actually start paying off the loan. With a salary of 200k you probably will get max 120k after taxes. Then 50k of that for INTEREST only leaves 70k to live and try to pay down the actual sum.

Also, since OHSU is switching their curriculum your 3rd year may get very messy as the 2nd year class below you will be doing rotations at the same time and there are limited rotation spots so you may end up at a hospital you don't want to rotate at. Just a tid bit of information to try to make your decision easier.

Sorry if that was too harsh. Just trying to help you gain some perspective. You can always come to the west coast for residency or once you are an attending physician.

I agree with this (disclaimer: I have a high wait list spot at 100+)... Some other things to think about....

1.) Do you have/want to have a family/children of your own?
-If yes, you should probably go to the cheaper school. While yes it is true that you could probably "make it work" if you went to OHSU, you WILL have to make tough sacrifices in your future/life.​
2.) Do you want to go into a specialty that requires long residency/fellowship or one that is lowly compensated?
-If yes to either or both, then this will only exacerbate your debt issue (more interest, making it more difficult to raise family/buy house etc., longer period of time where you will have to be very fiscally conservative)​

3.) Do you have a significant other/married to someone/family who would be willing and able to contribute a significant amount of capital towards your debt?
If yes, then well.... Maybe the debt would not be as big of an issue. However, this opens a whole new can of worms. Borrowing money from family etc. many times doesn't end well.​

Someone else got in from 10/26? Anyone else that you know of from our interview day?

Ya. She was at the very first second look day back in March, and is on the facebook page. I don't think she frequents this site, but not positive.

I remember her well because we were both in the afternoon interview group, and nobody else wanted to go take a ride down the tram to the bottom of the hill. So we went together. We explored the building down there together for a while. We went up to one of the top floors where there is an observation deck. Then we had the great idea to take the stairs down instead of the elevator. We sorta got stuck in the stairwell and had to find a door that was unlocked. Ha ha. It was a mini-adventure!

Nobody else from 10/26 that I know about. DAPI and Garrettni are the only other one that were there that I remember and associate with screen names on here.

dsoz

The way I see it, you're going to med school to be a physician, not a med student. Having less debt will increase the likelihood that you'll be able to be the kind of physician you want to be. Med school is more a means to an end than an end in itself, in my opinion, so if I were you I'd choose your state school.

Many things about med school are uncertain; it's hard to say where you would really be happier and ultimately impossible to know for sure. The difference in cost of attendance, however, is certain, tangible, and significant.

It's hard to give up a dream, especially when its realization has embedded itself in your identity. My suggestion is to think of all the new dreams you might have if you weren't burdened by such astronomical debt as attending OHSU would impose. I don't know you, so I don't know what they might be, but if it were me (and I have made a similar decision, albeit easier in many ways), reduced debt would mean my wife could go back to school as soon as she wants, and we would possibly even be able to start saving money for my son's college.

Rationally, I think the choice is pretty obvious: go with the cheaper option. Personally, I struggled with the emotional components of the decision. I overcame that by focusing on what I would be gaining rather than what I might be losing.

Good luck!

Great exemplifications, they really put it into perspective, thank you.
The way I see it, you're going to med school to be a physician, not a med student. Having less debt will increase the likelihood that you'll be able to be the kind of physician you want to be. Med school is more a means to an end than an end in itself, in my opinion, so if I were you I'd choose your state school.

Many things about med school are uncertain; it's hard to say where you would really be happier and ultimately impossible to know for sure. The difference in cost of attendance, however, is certain, tangible, and significant.

It's hard to give up a dream, especially when its realization has embedded itself in your identity. My suggestion is to think of all the new dreams you might have if you weren't burdened by such astronomical debt as attending OHSU would impose. I don't know you, so I don't know what they might be, but if it were me (and I have made a similar decision, albeit easier in many ways), reduced debt would mean my wife could go back to school as soon as she wants, and we would possibly even be able to start saving money for my son's college.

Rationally, I think the choice is pretty obvious: go with the cheaper option. Personally, I struggled with the emotional components of the decision. I overcame that by focusing on what I would be gaining rather than what I might be losing.

Good luck!
Also very good points and along my initial train of thought (means to an end).

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and offer me your opinions. It really did help. I just couldn't think clearly, blinded by a dream, albeit a dream that would've likely put me in some serious post-residency regret. It's always been quite clear which was the intelligent choice; but my decision to pursue medicine was a decision of heart. I had to ensure following my heart in this instance would've been a mistake.

I'm now 95% sure I'll be going to state. I'll let you all know the moment I withdraw, which will in all likelihood be 5/15.

As an aside, yes, I have a serious girlfriend. We're very eager to start a family. As for specialty, I'm considering everything from Neurosurgery (robust research and shadowing experience) and dermatology to the internal medicine avenue to primary care and emergency medicine. I'm keeping an open mind until rotations, which has also made this decision more difficult.

Again, thank you all and good luck to those on the WL. You may very well be getting my seat. (Feel free to grab a sharpie and inscribe an epitaph on my behalf: "In Loving Memory of Guero, an OHSU dedication that will never die...perhaps in residency." LoL)

There are a couple that are younger. It looks like one or two from OSU, a couple from UO, and there was one (that I interviewed with) from BYU (but I think she took a gap year to apply and interview).

What are you saying about us outliers? Are you calling us old? :)

dsoz

Haha--definitely not calling anyone old! :) I was using the wrong statistical word with "outliers." :p

To clarify: the OHSU class consists of mostly the mid-late 20s/early 30s age group. There are some older than that (mid-30s and above) but not below (i.e. 21-22). Mid-30s through 40s--not old at all.

My data is only from the FB group, though. And I didn't see anyone who was graduating in 2013, though I might have overlooked it.

Ya. She was at the very first second look day back in March, and is on the facebook page. I don't think she frequents this site, but not positive.

I remember her well because we were both in the afternoon interview group, and nobody else wanted to go take a ride down the tram to the bottom of the hill. So we went together. We explored the building down there together for a while. We went up to one of the top floors where there is an observation deck. Then we had the great idea to take the stairs down instead of the elevator. We sorta got stuck in the stairwell and had to find a door that was unlocked. Ha ha. It was a mini-adventure!

Nobody else from 10/26 that I know about. DAPI and Garrettni are the only other one that were there that I remember and associate with screen names on here.

dsoz

Ok. I did my MMI in the afternoon too, so I'm sure I'll recognize her at some point. Garrett's a friend of mine and unfortunately won't be joining us.

Great exemplifications, they really put it into perspective, thank you.

Also very good points and along my initial train of thought (means to an end).

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and offer me your opinions. It really did help. I just couldn't think clearly, blinded by a dream, albeit a dream that would've likely put me in some serious post-residency regret. It's always been quite clear which was the intelligent choice; but my decision to pursue medicine was a decision of heart. I had to ensure following my heart in this instance would've been a mistake.

I'm now 95% sure I'll be going to state. I'll let you all know the moment I withdraw, which will in all likelihood be 5/15.

As an aside, yes, I have a serious girlfriend. We're very eager to start a family. As for specialty, I'm considering everything from Neurosurgery (robust research and shadowing experience) and dermatology to the internal medicine avenue to primary care and emergency medicine. I'm keeping an open mind until rotations, which has also made this decision more difficult.

Again, thank you all and good luck to those on the WL. You may very well be getting my seat. (Feel free to grab a sharpie and inscribe an epitaph on my behalf: "In Loving Memory of Guero, an OHSU dedication that will never die...perhaps in residency." LoL)

For what it is worth, I think you are making the right decision. In the end you will be happier without the added debt and you can always try for residency spot here. I have 100K of undergrad debt and already making payments on it and it's pretty rough (as you know I'm sure) so if you can eliminate some by going to your state school and getting a scholarship I would jump at the opportunity. You will be a great physician either way and if you want to live in Portland you have plenty of time to move here after med school or residency. Portland isn't going anywhere and everyone here is working plenty hard to keep Portland weird :D

Also, love the fact that everyone up here is adding disclaimers so that they don't seem like they are pushing you to go state so they can have your spot! On that note, I have no disclaimers just a fellow SDNer that knows how much debt sucks and offering advice/encouragement that you are making a good decision :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it is worth, I think you are making the right decision. In the end you will be happier without the added debt and you can always try for residency spot here. I have 100K of undergrad debt and already making payments on it and it's pretty rough (as you know I'm sure) so if you can eliminate some by going to your state school and getting a scholarship I would jump at the opportunity. You will be a great physician either way and if you want to live in Portland you have plenty of time to move here after med school or residency. Portland isn't going anywhere and everyone here is working plenty hard to keep Portland weird :D

Also, love the fact that everyone up here is adding disclaimers so that they don't seem like they are pushing you to go state so they can have your spot! On that note, I have no disclaimers just a fellow SDNer that knows how much debt sucks and offering advice/encouragement that you are making a good decision :)
Thank you.

You all rock! I really hope I can do residency at OHSU and meet some of you. :) :thumbup: Cool peeps indeed.
CoolPeep.jpg

Sooo any movement on the alternate list yet? :smuggrin: :rolleyes:

It's going to be a long few weeks... again...

The endless waiting game. I'm guessing we won't see any movement until at least after the 15th, right?

Usually not much happens before the 15th as people are making their agonizing decisions.

When it starts moving it'll be off like a prom dress for the first few dozen numbers.

The endless waiting game. I'm guessing we won't see any movement until at least after the 15th, right?

Yeah, probably not. Maybe not until after the 18th actually since that's the deadline for people to confirm that they want to stay on the list?

I asked about when we might see movement when I responded to my alternate email and was told "by the end of the month at the latest."

Usually not much happens before the 15th as people are making their agonizing decisions.

When it starts moving it'll be off like a prom dress for the first few dozen numbers.

:rofl: I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to use that saying but I'm totally stealing it!

:rofl: I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to use that saying but I'm totally stealing it!
Admittedly, I only heard that for the first time about a year ago, and didn't get the joke at first. (Growing up Mormon, my sisters and I were allowed - barely - to go to prom but I suspect it was quite different from the experiences of many others...) ;)

Yeah, probably not. Maybe not until after the 18th actually since that's the deadline for people to confirm that they want to stay on the list?

I asked about when we might see movement when I responded to my alternate email and was told "by the end of the month at the latest."
In case this is helpful info for those waiting to hear about movement on the alternate list, I interviewed 10/26 and am #4 on the alternate list. Will let you know when I hear something...fingers crossed for soon!

In case this is helpful info for those waiting to hear about movement on the alternate list, I interviewed 10/26 and am #4 on the alternate list. Will let you know when I hear something...fingers crossed for soon!

Congratulations on your imminent acceptance! Please do keep us posted :thumbup:

For those of you on the alternate list, is OHSU your top choice or are you still considering other options?

For those of you on the alternate list, is OHSU your top choice or are you still considering other options?
For me, yes. Am holding two other acceptances, one with a scholarship, but my family and life is here and I love Portland. It's home now. That said, this is admissions round #3 for me, first time applying to OHSU (was out of state before), so I'll be thrilled when I can finally just dive into class. It's been a long road, but I'm looking forward to the next steps (hopefully with many of you as classmates).

Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone on the wait list!

If I get off the alternate list I'll almost certainly be attending, assuming I get a seat before I've made concrete plans to go elsewhere. I don't really have a firm cut-off date for that yet, but I want to move in early July so I really need to know where I'm going by mid-June at the very latest.

+1! I noticed this, too. So far on the FB group, there isn't a single undergrad. The majority seem to be in their late 20s, early 30s. There are some outliers on the older end but not on the younger side of the spectrum.

I took two gap years and thought I would be one of the older students, but I was mistaken.

Where is that facebook page? (Just curious still on waiting list)

I know there has been some talk of online genetics courses for the summer term, but does anyone have a suggestion for an online biochem course that I could fit in this summer? Thanks for any input...

I know there has been some talk of online genetics courses for the summer term, but does anyone have a suggestion for an online biochem course that I could fit in this summer? Thanks for any input...

Here's the Berkeley extension class: http://extension.berkeley.edu/catalog/course748.html

I'm taking biochem through Oregon State eCampus right now and I think they're also offering it this summer but it may overlap with the start of classes, I'm not sure.

I took biochem at Portland State University a couple of summers ago. It was perfect. It started a couple of days after my school ended in mid-late June, and ran for four weeks. The final was on a Friday, and I left for Hawaii on the next Sunday (planned a year before).

The class itself was four weeks of hell. Class from 8-12, four days a week for four weeks. It would work for you if you can be in Portland for the early part of summer.

dsoz

I took biochem at Portland State University a couple of summers ago. It was perfect. It started a couple of days after my school ended in mid-late June, and ran for four weeks. The final was on a Friday, and I left for Hawaii on the next Sunday (planned a year before).

The class itself was four weeks of hell. Class from 8-12, four days a week for four weeks. It would work for you if you can be in Portland for the early part of summer.

dsoz

The memory is the first thing to go. lol. It was 10:30-12:50 Mon-Thurs. However, it did seem like an eternity at times.

The memory is the first thing to go. lol. It was 10:30-12:50 Mon-Thurs. However, it did seem like an eternity at times.

LOL. you are right. Hey, it was my summer and I wanted to sleep in. A 10:30 class was still too early. Then to go home and study for several hours just to keep up on the reading when all I wanted to do was to sit in the sun and take a nap or go down to the river and watch the water flow by. It made me remember why I hate summer school classes so much.

Also, that was a stupid time slot. I couldn't just get a morning parking permit (expired at noon) or just an afternoon parking permit, I had to get a full day permit. There was some other problem with the parking... I had to get an 8 week pass, then get a refund for the days after the class was finished. Doing it that way saved me over $100, but it was a pain in the neck.

dsoz

Okay, without catching up, OHSU's MSTP (MD/PhD) program said they'd "probably interview" me and that my application credentials look "reasonable" for admission. Omg, I have two days to decide and no guarantee of which will be the best option: potentially paying $82k overall at OHSU thanks to the waived tuition and provided living expenses of the MD/PhD program with better school credentials and better locale, but risking non-admission and consequent $328k indebtedness versus $150-180k guaranteed at UT with lesser credentials, horrible city, but great clinicals... AHHHH!

Advice? Again?

Okay, without catching up, OHSU's MSTP (MD/PhD) program said they'd "probably interview" me and that my application credentials look "reasonable" for admission. Omg, I have two days to decide and no guarantee of which will be the best option: potentially paying $82k overall at OHSU thanks to the waived tuition and provided living expenses of the MD/PhD program with better school credentials and better locale, but risking non-admission and consequent $328k indebtedness versus $150-180k guaranteed at UT with lesser credentials, horrible city, but great clinicals... AHHHH!

Advice? Again?

Yolo?

Sorry couldn't resist

Advice? Again?

I still think it is the same issue... I don't think you should make this decision banking on getting into the MSTP program. Especially with all of the NIH funding cuts occurring; I don't see that changing anytime soon. You've gotta look at the worst case scenario and determine which one you would be happier with and which one would work better for you.

Another thing to consider w/ going MSTP... You should probably factor in the 3-4 years or so that you would be missing out in "attending pay". Does that make up for significantly less debt? Does it even out? Is it still cheaper to go MSTP? I'm not sure...

I still think it is the same issue... I don't think you should make this decision banking on getting into the MSTP program. Especially with all of the NIH funding cuts occurring; I don't see that changing anytime soon. You've gotta look at the worst case scenario and determine which one you would be happier with and which one would work better for you.

Another thing to consider w/ going MSTP... You should probably factor in the 3-4 years or so that you would be missing out in "attending pay". Does that make up for significantly less debt? Does it even out? Is it still cheaper to go MSTP? I'm not sure...
Great points, thank you. But to answer your question, yes, it's still cheaper considering interest accrual, taxes, and the comparatively lower pay within academia and research as an attending.

Advice? Again?

I'd seriously consider how much you want that PhD. If its a huge bonus for you that also happens to get you out the door with less loans, then go for it. Personally, I'd rather get out into the real world of medicine and start practicing earlier. Even as a newly minted doc, you'll make back way more in the years you'd be doing your PhD than you'd save by doing a joint MD/PhD.

Here's the Berkeley extension class: http://extension.berkeley.edu/catalog/course748.html

I'm taking biochem through Oregon State eCampus right now and I think they're also offering it this summer but it may overlap with the start of classes, I'm not sure.

Thanks guys. Yeah the PSU schedule is a little brutal seeings how I'll still have to work through the summer. Wish I could pull that off.... Thanks for the online class links.

FYI, last I checked OHSU's MD/PhD program is not one of the NIH funded MSTP programs. I'm not sure how much (if any) financial benefit is really added by going down that path. In other words, do a joint program if it's in line with your heart's desire, not because you think it'll help financially or be an easier route to acceptance at a particular school.

FYI, last I checked OHSU's MD/PhD program is not one of the NIH funded MSTP programs. I'm not sure how much (if any) financial benefit is really added by going down that path. In other words, do a joint program if it's in line with your heart's desire, not because you think it'll help financially or be an easier route to acceptance at a particular school.
Yeah, you're correct; it's not MSTP backed anymore. But that could change. They still have full tuition covered plus a stipend. And it's always something I wanted to do. I applied all MSTP my first cycle and only two MSTPs this year based on my MCAT. My stupid MCAT was the issue everytime. Had I known they would've considered me, I'd have applied to their MD/PhD in the first place. I just figured I had a better chance with the MPH than the MD/PhD. Ooops. :(

As for the financial benefit, $82k of debt with accrued interest is a heck of a lot better than $328k. As a physician scientist, I wouldn't make nearly as much as your typical clinician.

Hahaha, I totally stumbled upon this in reply to someone talking about how huge of gamble this is:
opgaw-more-info.gif

Just withdrew my spot. Good luck to all the WLers!

Status
Not open for further replies.