2012-2013 Oregon Health and Science University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loosing hope slowly ...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know its hard and movement has not been consistent but don't give up yet
I don't think you should start to worry till at least July and even then there should be a little more movement that month.

Well, so much for that! :rofl:

:cry:
Thank you for your message - was feeling lonely here. I looked back at some erlier posting and you mentioned they were going to call people with multiple acceptances this week. I hope that is still the case and we see some movement soon. Else bye bye Oregon :-(

Talked to Katy late last week and it didn't seem like there were very many people holding multiple acceptances :/ but perhaps things have changed!

Talked to Katy late last week and it didn't seem like there were very many people holding multiple acceptances :/ but perhaps things have changed!

Ugh, that's not good. I really thought I'd have a seat by now. It's depressing.

Members don't see this ad :)
justone_zps8d35295e.jpg

I really hope you get in!! Don't lose hope; you're so close. :)

Thanks! I'm feeling pretty hopeful right now. I mean, there's never been a year where the list completely stopped moving in mid-June right? Aaaand I probably just jinxed myself :laugh:

Thanks! I'm feeling pretty hopeful right now. I mean, there's never been a year where the list completely stopped moving in mid-June right? Aaaand I probably just jinxed myself :laugh:

No, you're fine. Though this time last year it was at 61, next moved around July 10th, and only climbed to 68. So it could be small eventual change, but change nonetheless.

Tuesdays seem to be the lucky days. If I had to guess, I guess you get in next Tuesday.

No, you're fine. Though this time last year it was at 61, next moved around July 10th, and only climbed to 68. So it could be small eventual change, but change nonetheless.

As long as I get in! I don't want to tempt fate but I think I'm going to go ahead and start making plans for Portland. Continuing to sit on my hands is just going to drive me crazy.

Tuesdays seem to be the lucky days. If I had to guess, I guess you get in next Tuesday.

I hope so!! :luck:

Good luck to those still in the hunt. For those that aren't anymore ill see you on next years thread

Aw thanks! If admission was based on amount of time spent refreshing the portal I would've been in weeks ago :laugh:

Depending upon your computer literacy, I have a python script that grabs the waitlist position every minute and reads it out into a terminal window (I had it on an external LED display, but you can just view it on the desktop). Lmk if you want it.

Depending upon your computer literacy, I have a python script that grabs the waitlist position every minute and reads it out into a terminal window (I had it on an external LED display, but you can just view it on the desktop). Lmk if you want it.

Haha, that's too awesome! I think I'll pass though, I don't need to take my obsession any further, especially since I'm guessing they email people before they update the portal anyway?

Haha, that's too awesome! I think I'll pass though, I don't need to take my obsession any further, especially since I'm guessing they email people before they update the portal anyway?

Yeah, I found that to be the case. All the emails go out, then the waitlist number is updated. I made this big fancy script and circuit, and it didn't even help me at all!

I thought they said at interview day it was around 144. But they also hold some spots open for deferred students, and there may be some students that repeat all or part of the year. I think they were shooting for about 135 new students.

The number is supposed to increase over the next few years to 150 or so. There will be more room for more students in the new building that will be open this time next year.

dsoz

Please can someone provide some advice. What happens if (a) one registers for classes in another medical school, (b) gets the loan money and (c) pays first year tution. at what stage can one withdraw from the other school if OHSU comes through? Can the loan money be returned and/or the 1st years pay be retrieved in this situation? Deadline looming for the other school and hence at a loss as to what to do.

Please can someone provide some advice. What happens if (a) one registers for classes in another medical school, (b) gets the loan money and (c) pays first year tution. at what stage can one withdraw from the other school if OHSU comes through? Can the loan money be returned and/or the 1st years pay be retrieved in this situation? Deadline looming for the other school and hence at a loss as to what to do.

I would contact the specific school and ask them these questions since every school has different rules. I would assume that once you use a loan you can't undo it but I don't know for sure.

I hope you get in too!

I just dropped into this thread to see what's happened in the last month. I'm getting ready to say goodbye to Portland in the next couple weeks!

(ps I changed my username, but we met at Dechutes after yr interview day)

I hope you get in too!

I just dropped into this thread to see what's happened in the last month. I'm getting ready to say goodbye to Portland in the next couple weeks!

I wish you luck in your adventure in Seattle. (Rachel, I am assuming)

Even though OHSU and UW seem to be rivals, I would be interested to know how thing go for you. Are you thinking of doing the WWAMI program for any of your time there? That would be one HUGE draw for me to that program over OHSU. I just thought that I wouldn't have a chance to get in there being from Oregon, so I didn't apply.

dsoz

worth applying from OOS?

If your stats in your MDapps are accurate, then you meet one of the "mission groups" as an OOS with exceptional achievements (greater than 3.6 and greater than 32 MCAT). Therefore it is worth it to apply. That is, if you can handle the rain for most of the year.

Go look on the 2013-14 thread for an easy to find list of the "mission based groups"

Make sure you brace yourself for the beast of a secondary that OHSU sends out. It was, by far, the hardest secondary that I had to fill out. My interviewer knew my essays well, and asked several follow up questions from what I wrote about.

dsoz

I hope you get in too!

Thank you!! I hope you have an amazing time at UW! It's hard to believe fall classes will be starting so soon.

Hmmm, very interesting, very interesting indeed...

I wish you luck in your adventure in Seattle. (Rachel, I am assuming)

Even though OHSU and UW seem to be rivals, I would be interested to know how thing go for you. Are you thinking of doing the WWAMI program for any of your time there? That would be one HUGE draw for me to that program over OHSU. I just thought that I wouldn't have a chance to get in there being from Oregon, so I didn't apply.

dsoz

Thanks! I will be in Seattle my first two years - I just found a place to move into! Third and fourth year we go on what they playfully call the "WWAMI Safari," meaning that each rotation bounces you off to a different part of the region. People who are very committed to an area can stay there for most of their rotations, except for Seattle. Seattle folks are required to go out & broaden their horizons a bit.

Welp...I just had a short feedback session with OHSU (I was really curious what happened because I thought I had a pretty solid app & interview). Apparently my app and my one-on-one scores were high, but I bombed the MMI. Some of my MMI interviewers thought I was awkward, rambling or indecisive. Oh well.

For a school with such a laborious secondary application, I am still kind of amazed at how minimally it is weighted in the actual admissions decision.

So, take home for folks applying next year: The MMI seems kind of like a big game (and some of the questions are close to ridiculous), but take it seriously and prepare for it. I think I took it a little too lightly.

Welp...I just had a short feedback session with OHSU (I was really curious what happened because I thought I had a pretty solid app & interview). Apparently my app and my one-on-one scores were high, but I bombed the MMI. Some of my MMI interviewers thought I was awkward, rambling or indecisive. Oh well.

For a school with such a laborious secondary application, I am still kind of amazed at how minimally it is weighted in the actual admissions decision.

So, take home for folks applying next year: The MMI seems kind of like a big game (and some of the questions are close to ridiculous), but take it seriously and prepare for it. I think I took it a little too lightly.

They let you do an exit interview even though you were accepted to UW :confused:

They let you do an exit interview even though you were accepted to UW :confused:

I called & asked, and we did a fairly quick one over the phone. I wanted to know what went wrong for the sake of future interviews, residency, etc.

Well, at least your eggs weren't really in the OHSU basket anyway. I'm sure it was nice to get some closure though, I know you were curious what happened (and so were we!).

Special shoutout to the nontrad who made the front page of Reddit today. I'm guessing you're one of the folks here. Enjoy that karma ;)

Last edited:
Yes < 60. Based on SDN only 2 people ahead of me - but I am running out of time - may need to withdraw.

Last edited:
Yes < 60. Based on SDN only 2 people ahead of me - but I am running out of time - may need to withdraw.

How much longer can you wait? I recently found out that I was accepted elsewhere and may need to move away if OHSU keeps me waiting till about mid July

I wouldn't recommend going off SDN to know how close you are. If you want an exact number you can call OHSU and ask how many people are still ahead of you holding their wait list spot rather than withdraw. I did that last year when I was 10 away and everyone but 1 had said they wanted to stay on the wait list.

Status
Not open for further replies.