2012-2013 Oregon Health and Science University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it, I'm calling:mad: still on hold, no lunch break takes that long lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
#49, got the email around noon, Oregon time. I'm not sure what kind of movement we're going to see. Anyone know what they got to in years past? I guess I could search...

#49, got the email around noon, Oregon time. I'm not sure what kind of movement we're going to see. Anyone know what they got to in years past? I guess I could search...

Check out the previous page, there are some graphs.

WL # <60.

Do you think it would be okay to ask for an invitation to one of the second look days? Or should I wait until the wait list starts to move?

Dont think we have any direct acceptance off hold yet. You never know.

Dont think we have any direct acceptance off hold yet. You never know.

We'll find out I suppose. . . hopefully today because either way I'd rather just know and move on with my life.

Also, I was never put on hold. I'm thinking it's because I interviewed "late" (3/22), so maybe they just figured they'd wait to let me know? Either way, the last status update I have in the portal is the one saying I didn't get an interview for the MD/MPH program. Everytime I see the word "regretfully" in that update when I refresh my portal I have a teeny tiny heart attack : )

Rejected. Pretty bummed but I have a few other options. Still stuck out east for another 4 years, but I'll make it west eventually...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected. Best of luck to those on the wait list.

Rejected and sadly I have nothing to fall back on, this was it this year. So tired of this process, I had this little bit of hope that it was finally my turn. Everything else in my life has been exploding recently so I thought that maybe this would be the happy end to a terrible couple of months. I feel like this banana right now :diebanana:

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted or has a reasonable waitlist spot. I'll be routing for all of you, you have all been so encouraging throughout this process.

Sorry to all that got the ax today, I hope you get in elsewhere! Or I'll see you up here next year :( Someday we will all get in, just a matter of time if you want it badly enough.

For now I am going to go :cry: and drink some wine.

Rejected as well so it looks like I'll be starting my AMCAS again soon. However, this isn't the end of the road yet! Huge congrats to everyone that has already been accepted or will be in the coming weeks/months!!

So sorry for all the rejections :( Who's still waiting? I guess the acceptances are being saved for later this week? It's already almost 5pm now.

I got an acceptance email today at 2:46p Oregon time.

For those with big Waitlist numbers, I was in the same boat last year. I was number 69 and they accepted through 68. There's still hope whether or not things work out this year!

For those with big Waitlist numbers, I was in the same boat last year. I was number 69 and they accepted through 68. There's still hope whether or not things work out this year!

Wow...rough day for SDN. Only one reported acceptance from hold?

I really hope that next cycle is more fruitful for those that are diving back into it.

Congratulations!! That must feel amazing after being on the bubble last year.

I have to think there are more SDNers who've been accepted or who will be accepted tomorrow. Only one acceptance out of this huge group seems crazy.

Not me personally but a friend if mine got the acceptance around 2 today interviewed late February just I add some positive vibes!

Damn, that's downright cruel from last year. There's a FB group for us all floating around the tubes. Come join!

Congrats! I was in your interview group (I remember you sharing this tidbit about yourself) ~~ Best wishes.

Do you guys find it strange that there were 2 batches of rejections?? Maybe there was a glitch in the system. Just wishful thinking... :)

Can somepne please explain how this works. Right now they give out ~150 acceptances and rest waitlist? And as people withdraw, they move the waitlist queue? Or are there more acceptances than class size?

Can somepne please explain how this works. Right now they give out ~150 acceptances and rest waitlist? And as people withdraw, they move the waitlist queue? Or are there more acceptances than class size?
They never overaccept. As of today, they have as many acceptance offers outstanding as they have seats (~136) and I believe the waitlist is also capped at the same maximum limit.

This is actually the second time ohsu has rejected me. I applied to their nursing school in 2010 and got indefinitely waitlisted.

This is actually the second time ohsu has rejected me. I applied to their nursing school in 2010 and got indefinitely waitlisted.
Their 'reject most people at least once, just because" philosophy is not unique to the MD program. I've known some seriously awesome nurses who also had to apply 2+ times.

Hey boys and girls,

Got on the alternative list 20-25 is that good or bad?

Most importantly, how soon will we know that people are dropping? How many months more do I wait before I know if I made it?

Good luck to everyone who got rejected, wish you the best, don't give up.

Last edited:
According to AAMC, people can hold only one acceptance after May 15. Therefore people that were accepted to OHSU and one other school need to choose in the next several days. Once they choose, some will decline their acceptance here, the first alternate gets notified. The process continues until early August, just before (or just after) classes start.

Low 20s is good. Last year the wait list was accepted to number 68 (ask #69 how that felt, he was accepted this year). The year before it went over 100. Most years it goes to about 50-70. You have good odds that you will be seated before the end of May, if not next week.

dsoz

I'm so sorry to all those that got the ax or hi WL numbers today. Congrats to those with low WLs and acceptances.

As for me, I've emailed and called just about everyone I could at OHSU groveling for some financial help. So far, no luck. As huge of a place as OHSU holds ever so deep in my heart, when it comes to $180k- state vs $328k+ OHSU on top of my $125k from undergrad, my ex eloquently said it best:

"Either go someplace awesome and spend several extra years not being able to enjoy the awesomeness because you're drowning in debt and spending all your free time moonlighting, or go to a really good school and then move to awesomeland with a killer salary and more manageable debt, spending all your free time eating Voodoo Donuts and playing pinball. Tough decision indeed. :hungover:"

But it is tough, gadnabbit! I freaking love this darn school! And to see just how heart-wrenchingly selective this process is? I feel like I'm going to vomit every time I realize it's more and more likely that I'll have to wait for residency before I can land at OHSU, if I'm lucky. I am none too happy right now. :cry: Why couldn't I have had a normal amount of undergrad debt?

I'm so sorry to all those that got the ax or hi WL numbers today. Congrats to those with low WLs and acceptances.

As for me, I've emailed and called just about everyone I could at OHSU groveling for some financial help. So far, no luck. As huge of a place as OHSU holds ever so deep in my heart, when it comes to $180k- state vs $328k+ OHSU on top of my $125k from undergrad, my ex eloquently said it best:

"Either go someplace awesome and spend several extra years not being able to enjoy the awesomeness because you're drowning in debt and spending all your free time moonlighting, or go to a really good school and then move to awesomeland with a killer salary and more manageable debt, spending all your free time eating Voodoo Donuts and playing pinball. Tough decision indeed. :hungover:"

But it is tough, gadnabbit! I freaking love this darn school! And to see just how heart-wrenchingly selective this process is? I feel like I'm going to vomit every time I realize it's more and more likely that I'll have to wait for residency before I can land at OHSU, if I'm lucky. I am none too happy right now. :cry: Why couldn't I have had a normal amount of undergrad debt?
As much as you decision is brutal, it could be a lot worse. At least your last hope of getting accepted this cycle wasn't snuffed out...or your waitlist number is so high that you'll never get a seat yet you choose to remain in painful limbo land because you simply can't let your dream go...

Multiple good acceptances and a killer scholarship at a respectable school seems like a win-win scenario to me :) I don't think you can make a bad choice. Keep your head up! Your well on your way, my friend.

As much as you decision is brutal, it could be a lot worse. At least your last hope of getting accepted this cycle wasn't snuffed out...or your waitlist number is so high that you'll never get a seat yet you choose to remain in painful limbo land because you simply can't let your dream go...

Multiple good acceptances and a killer scholarship at a respectable school seems like a win-win scenario to me :) I don't think you can make a bad choice. Keep your head up! Your well on your way, my friend.
Thank you. And I know you're right.

And I apologize to anyone if whining about my situation offends you. It's just that I love this school so much. I'm in a glass case of emotion...

tumblr_lez2i3FKKh1qaujfmo1_250.gif

Thank you. And I know you're right.

And I apologize to anyone if whining about my situation offends you. It's just that I love this school so much. I'm in a glass case of emotion...

tumblr_lez2i3FKKh1qaujfmo1_250.gif
No worries, not offended. I just wanted to expand your perspective a bit in hopes it might make your dilemma seem slightly less crappy :) I definitely understand the emotion of possibly not going where you really want to go and have always envisioned yourself. You have a choice, not everyone does. That's pretty cool.

I probably should just throw myself a pity party, have a good cry and move on. 108...sigh...

Somebody has to have some sort of good news today. Come on, lighten the mood for the rest of us wallowers :)

Some framing techniques that may help:

When you're an old gomer lying in your deathbed, do you really think you'll be thinking about the particular numbers on your student debt balance?

Would you marry someone you liked well enough because they were more convenient for you financially, and pass up the person you were really in love with? (Base assumption that only monogamous choice allowed, LOL.)

Going to medschool at all, regardless of cost, is a crazy stupid financial decision. A friend of mine went in her 30s and went into community psychiatry. She told me the other day that she a) has no idea what the current balance of her debt is 20 years later, b) she plans to pay the minimum til she dies, and c) gives not one fark about that.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

WL#80...I really don't know what to do....
I've looked at the graphs, but they really tell much cause there is such a big difference between the last two years. I've been thinking about taking a gap year if I dont get in this cycle (Im a senior in college and is getting a little burned on school). Anyone who did a gap year? What did you do during that time and how do you think it affected yout chances of acceptance? any advice would be appreciated.
:scared:

I've looked at the graphs, but they really tell much cause there is such a big difference between the last two years. I've been thinking about taking a gap year if I dont get in this cycle (Im a senior in college and is getting a little burned on school). Anyone who did a gap year? What did you do during that time and how do you think it affected yout chances of acceptance? any advice would be appreciated.

From the facebook page, OHSU seems to love non-traditional students. The older, the better. A gap year could be very good for you. Do something to get life experience that you can write about in your essays.

Volunteer (if you can afford it) somewhere interesting. Travel somewhere exotic. Take a job that puts you in the real world (not academia). Heck, just being a Barista at BarStucks would allow you to meet interesting people.

I may be wrong, but that would be my advice. And I have given a lot of advice to many students over my career as a high school teacher for 19 years. :)

dsoz

I think it is far more about What you learn from this next year's experience, combined with your lessons from this application process, than what you do. I personally went and did research for a year, I chose research because I had next to zero research experience and this allowed me to gain more of an understanding about other areas of medicine. I would recommend doing something new. If your volunteer hours are out the wazoo but lack research go there, if you have never traveled travel. I think they are mainly looking for personal growth and what you learned about your year's adventure and how it has influenced you as a person, and as a future healthcare provider.

Guero, I was really hoping to meet you this fall (or sooner).

I went through similar thought processes when it came to the debt.

First I'd email Justin Kribs, financial planner man at OHSU [email protected] - he can give you a good end of school idea how much you will owe when it is all said and done as an out-of-stater.

Then just be resolved, If you live on the same budget you do while in school even for one year (18k?) after residency (no considerably depreciable asset purchases) you could knock out your undergrad debt plus a good portion of Med school, depending on specialty. reference: BLS

so even if you live on 60k in Primary Care and use the rest of your pay (after taxes) to pay your debt you could do it in a couple years. If you go into private practice part of your job offer will include them paying of a portion of your debt every year (sometime increasingly so: 50k year 1; 60k year 2; 75 year 3) because they want to keep the docs in the practice.

Email the school of Medicine, they administrate this scholarship: Swindells

OR if you meet someone in school who comes from money, your worries are forgotten.

OR you take on debt and move to Cambodia to practice and see if the debt collectors find you...jk

Bottom line, follow your dreams or you will always be second guessing yourself, what if, what if. Good luck!

From the facebook page, OHSU seems to love non-traditional students. The older, the better. A gap year could be very good for you. Do something to get life experience that you can write about in your essays.

Volunteer (if you can afford it) somewhere interesting. Travel somewhere exotic. Take a job that puts you in the real world (not academia). Heck, just being a Barista at BarStucks would allow you to meet interesting people.

I may be wrong, but that would be my advice. And I have given a lot of advice to many students over my career as a high school teacher for 19 years. :)

dsoz

+1! I noticed this, too. So far on the FB group, there isn't a single undergrad. The majority seem to be in their late 20s, early 30s. There are some outliers on the older end but not on the younger side of the spectrum.

I took two gap years and thought I would be one of the older students, but I was mistaken.

I have another take on this: Why not go to your state school and aim to do your residency at OHSU? Would that not achieve some sort of compromise that's both financially justifiable and gets you to OHSU?

I have another take on this: Why not go to your state school and aim to do your residency at OHSU? Would that not achieve some sort of compromise that's both financially justifiable and gets you to OHSU?
Except that aiming for OHSU residency is as much of a crapshoot as trying to get into their MD program...

This is the bird currently in the hand, IMO.

+1! I noticed this, too. So far on the FB group, there isn't a single undergrad. The majority seem to be in their late 20s, early 30s. There are some outliers on the older end but not on the younger side of the spectrum.

I took two gap years and thought I would be one of the older students, but I was mistaken.

There are a couple that are younger. It looks like one or two from OSU, a couple from UO, and there was one (that I interviewed with) from BYU (but I think she took a gap year to apply and interview).

What are you saying about us outliers? Are you calling us old? :)

dsoz

Status
Not open for further replies.