2010-2011 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted this morning at 11:45.

ACCEPTED! 11:19am.

3.7/3.5
32MCAT

Best of luck to all!

Congrats guys!! :thumbup:

I have an interview here next week. Really hoping there's a slim possibility that I'll have a shot at a pre-match offer eventhough my interview falls so late in the season. Anyone think it's completely unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview here next week. Really hoping there's a slim possibility that I'll have a shot at a pre-match offer eventhough my interview falls so late in the season. Anyone think it's completely unrealistic?

i think theres another batch of pre-match before christmas.

any OOS acceptances lately....? had my interview 11/1...

If there is anything I've learned this application season that is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

As more and more people decide on the school they want and start withdrawing from Pre-Match offers, there will be more spots to go out. So there is definitely a shot you could grab one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like UTHSCSA gave out some pre-Thanksgiving gifts! Congrats to all who were accepted! and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I would think there would be another pre-match batch at some point in December--but don't forget that SA is pretty big about utilizing Match Day too! :xf:

are interview offers still going out?

Awe man, San Antonio is my first choice! I am very jealous of all yall getting acceptance but, congrats!

anybody know when UTHSCSA has 2nd look visits? hopefully before match preference lists are due? i'm still currently caught between three or so tx schools xD.

Does anybody know what UTSA's policy on deferrals is? In the MSAR it says they consider requests, but how lenient are they in granting them?

one interview went awesome, and the other, omg the hardest interview i've ever had for anything in my life. plus, no feelers for how it went :( hopefully it was just a tough one and i didnt suck too bad... definitely my #1 choice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any out of state acceptances?!? :confused:

theres one girl back in the thread that got accepted on oct 15 i believe (she had the first interview date)....i'm still waiting...i'd love to come here!

when did u interview?

theres one girl back in the thread that got accepted on oct 15 i believe (she had the first interview date)....i'm still waiting...i'd love to come here!

when did u interview?

in mid October....so I guess I'm being a bit impatient :oops:

when did u interview?

Yes, I was the one who got accepted OOS back on Oct. 15th and had the first interview date.

Does anybody know what UTSA's policy on deferrals is? In the MSAR it says they consider requests, but how lenient are they in granting them?

Not very if you call them UTSA instead of UTHSCSA ;)

in mid October....so I guess I'm being a bit impatient :oops:

And I interviewed in early September, so I'm getting impatient too!
When was the first interview date? I'm not sure how far into their interview cycle they were by the time they interviewed me.

Come on UTHSCSA, give us some OOS love!

And I interviewed in early September, so I'm getting impatient too!
When was the first interview date? I'm not sure how far into their interview cycle they were by the time they interviewed me.

Come on UTHSCSA, give us some OOS love!
I interviewed on August 2 (the first interview day). I'm IS and haven't heard back yet either :(

Just got the acceptance email this morning!!

c/o 2015 at UTHSCSA!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Just got the acceptance email this morning!!

c/o 2015 at UTHSCSA!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Hey paramed88, that's great news!

By the way, do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Thank, and congrats.

Just accepted!!! 9:37 CST this morning. Check your emails everybody!! Interviewed 9/27.
Anyone know if there is a FB page yet?

Just accepted!!! 9:37 CST this morning. Check your emails everybody!! Interviewed 9/27.
Anyone know if there is a FB page yet?

Congrats to those accepted today! Question - are you in state, or out of state applicants? Thanks, and again, congrats!

EDIT: Nevermind, once I logged in I saw your locations are Texas, so I'm assuming IS. Well...still, congrats...and here's hoping for us OOS candidates that we'll hear some news soon.

I got accepted this morning as well, and I interviewed all the way back in 08/09/10. Why did you wait so long UTHSCSA?:love:

Accepted to UTHSCSA this morning!! (9:38am) :love: Interviewed 10/18. Now the decision is getting tough!!!!!

can anyone give me opinions of what they liked most about UTHSCSA, and even what you liked least...

Thitchcock, what I liked about UTHSCSA-
organ systems based curriculum, Univ. Hospital-top 10 in 4 specialties, VA hosp, Santa Rosa Chldren's & Harlingen, MD w/ Distinction in Rsrch prgrm, 24 hr study rooms & wellness center, match list, friendly faculty & students due to letter grades, lack of traffic.

What I dislike about UTHSCSA- have to stay in class all day during first 2 yrs.

Sent letter of interest to Dr Jones this morning as a last ditch effort to get an interview invite before interviews end this month, but he said all the interview slots are filled at this time....
maybe someone will drop their slot, who knows... :(

Sent letter of interest to Dr Jones this morning as a last ditch effort to get an interview invite before interviews end this month, but he said all the interview slots are filled at this time....
maybe someone will drop their slot, who knows... :(

I feel your pain. Dean Maldonado at A&M basically told me to come see him in the spring regarding next year's application. Guess I won't be getting an interview there.

I feel your pain. Dean Maldonado at A&M basically told me to come see him in the spring regarding next year's application. Guess I won't be getting an interview there.

I interviewed at A&M and TCOM instate and waiting to hear back from any MI schools that I applied to also, but they interview up till March so who knows. I was definitely expecting more TX interviews though, and really wanted UTMB and UTHSCSA as options. I already pre-matched to TCOM, but they are sorta last on my list of where I would want to go. Disappointing and a definite reality check this whole app cycle has been. At least I know I will be going SOMEWHERE next fall, and wish everyone else the best of luck in getting matched or pre-matched.

Pre-match acceptance this morning! UTHSCSA apparently wants you to sweat a bit. Nice to know the interviews went relatively well, I had no idea walking out of their offices.

Thitchcock, what I liked about UTHSCSA-
organ systems based curriculum, Univ. Hospital-top 10 in 4 specialties, VA hosp, Santa Rosa Chldren's & Harlingen, MD w/ Distinction in Rsrch prgrm, 24 hr study rooms & wellness center, match list, friendly faculty & students due to letter grades, lack of traffic.

What I dislike about UTHSCSA- have to stay in class all day during first 2 yrs.

Congrats on the acceptance!!

Just wanted to add that 2nd year is a half day --- & there is video feed... so if you are more of an independent learner, you can videocast the lectures. :)

I'm in the first year now, and I currently go to class as a half day student already. I get very ADD in lecture & lose much of what the teachers say.. So, at night/the next day, I pod cast about 3-4 lectures a 1.5-2x speed. It makes for a great set-up for me! Saves me time & I get more out of it. :)

Anyways, congrats to everyone accepted! I love it here & have been very satisfied with all that I have learned. I hope that you all will enjoy it here as well. :thumbup:

Congrats to you all! I guess I missed the second wave of pre-match offers. I really loved San Antonio, so I'm definitely ranking this 1 in the match. The faculty and students here seem so relaxed, intelligent, and friendly! There wasn't much I didn't like, really..

so how many more batches of pre-matches are expected to go out between now and the 31st? I hope a couple!

I get more disappointed everyday...:confused:

so how many more batches of pre-matches are expected to go out between now and the 31st? I hope a couple!

I get more disappointed everyday...:confused:

Definitely with you on that

Same here, I interviewed on the first interview day (Aug 2) too :( I stalked last year's thread and they gave out prematch acceptances roughly every one or two weeks until Dec 24. :xf:

Is there no fb group for UTSA c/o 2015??

Ok, I think I created the group. Admissions gave me the go ahead and will post it on the admissions website. Search "UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2015" for the page. Can't wait to meet you all!

can anyone give me opinions of what they liked most about UTHSCSA, and even what you liked least...

The city and location of the school. Both are the best in the state IMO.

Ok, I think I created the group. Admissions gave me the go ahead and will post it on the admissions website. Search "UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2015" for the page. Can't wait to meet you all!

Sweet, been waiting for one :thumbup:

I pre-matched to UTHSCSA this week and am having difficulties ranking schools now. The three that I am trying to decide between are UTH, UTMB, and UTHSCSA. Before pre-matching I thought I liked UTMB more than UTHSCSA, but now I am confused knowing I have an acceptance and I feel the schools are all now starting to blur together. What do you guys like and dislike about UTHSCSA (I know that some things have been said in previous posts, but just wanted to see if anyone had some more input). I know that having pre-matched I am in a better situation than a lot of other people, and am thankful for that, but this confusion is majorly stressing me out.

Also, does UTHSCSA have a second-look day? I haven't heard anything about it.

I pre-matched to UTHSCSA this week and am having difficulties ranking schools now. The three that I am trying to decide between are UTH, UTMB, and UTHSCSA. Before pre-matching I thought I liked UTMB more than UTHSCSA, but now I am confused knowing I have an acceptance and I feel the schools are all now starting to blur together. What do you guys like and dislike about UTHSCSA (I know that some things have been said in previous posts, but just wanted to see if anyone had some more input). I know that having pre-matched I am in a better situation than a lot of other people, and am thankful for that, but this confusion is majorly stressing me out.

Also, does UTHSCSA have a second-look day? I haven't heard anything about it.

I am in the exact same situation. I prematched at UTHSCSA, and I really like all the UT schools except for southwestern (I loved it actually, but I just don't want to get TOO sucked in to medicine despite my burning passion for it. I feel like the other three schools are going to help me balance work and real life).

I honestly feel like all three (UTH/UTHSCSA/UTMB) are more or less identical. Other than location, its easy to debate the minute differences between the three but when it comes down to it I don't think the experience will be all much difference. If I had to pick out the small differences that I think are important, these are what I would pick:

1) UTMB has less class time than the other two. I'm not entirely sure if they videotape lectures, which UTH does, and UTHSCSA does podcasting for the first year/videocasting for the second year. from what I heard, podcasting (just the audio) works just fine and you can use that if you want b/c class isn't mandatory. UTH of course is famous for their videocasting, however. Of course, at both UTH/UTHSCSA you have a lot more lectures to watch. The only bad thing about UTMBs half day schedule, in my opinion, is that you get to spend the other half of the day in galveston....meh?

2) UTMB has PBL. Someone just posted about PBL in the main forums which really struck a chord. You have PBL during the entire first year having no clinical knowledge...which really ends up not being such a fantastic learning experience. I like to learn a lot before I apply my knowledge.

3) I heard from an A&M student that UTMB students have like 4 months to study for step1 and they have amazing resources/incentives to study.

4) UTH has great clinical opportunities. Better than UTMB/UTHSCSA? Probably no difference when it comes down to it. Both schools rave about their clinical opportunities. This makes sense because all three schools have absolutely massive hospitals, huge patient loads, and gobs of learning opportunities.

5) Research opportunities are the same at all the schools. UTMB/UTH/UTHSCSA all have nearly identical NIH funding (i think UTMB might be higher than the other two, but what is a few million out of hundreds of million).

Really, all the schools are gonna be the same in my opinion. Any inequity in 'experience' can probably be easily negated by a student's willingness to seek out opportunities. All three are replete with opportunities. This is evidenced by the percentages of residency matches which are essentially the same at each school. And lets be honest, the students are all the schools are not going to be too entirely different. Compositions of each school (esp UTH and UTHSCSA are going to reflect to a larger extent the ethnic/cultural attitudes of their respective cities).

I will be deciding where to go based, more or less, on location alone. Its looking like UTHSCSA for me just based on climate/city alone. I honestly can't find a more compelling reason despite all the research I have done in trying to differentiate the schools.

Let me know what ya'll think about this analysis, and if you can provide any real, concrete differences between the schools (besides the class schedules which I do think is the biggest difference) please post!

I honestly feel like all three (UTH/UTHSCSA/UTMB) are more or less identical. Other than location, its easy to debate the minute differences between the three but when it comes down to it I don't think the experience will be all much difference. If I had to pick out the small differences that I think are important, these are what I would pick:

1) UTMB has less class time than the other two. I'm not entirely sure if they videotape lectures, which UTH does, and UTHSCSA does podcasting for the first year/videocasting for the second year. from what I heard, podcasting (just the audio) works just fine and you can use that if you want b/c class isn't mandatory. UTH of course is famous for their videocasting, however. Of course, at both UTH/UTHSCSA you have a lot more lectures to watch. The only bad thing about UTMBs half day schedule, in my opinion, is that you get to spend the other half of the day in galveston....meh?

2) UTMB has PBL. Someone just posted about PBL in the main forums which really struck a chord. You have PBL during the entire first year having no clinical knowledge...which really ends up not being such a fantastic learning experience. I like to learn a lot before I apply my knowledge.

3) I heard from an A&M student that UTMB students have like 4 months to study for step1 and they have amazing resources/incentives to study.

4) UTH has great clinical opportunities. Better than UTMB/UTHSCSA? Probably no difference when it comes down to it. Both schools rave about their clinical opportunities. This makes sense because all three schools have absolutely massive hospitals, huge patient loads, and gobs of learning opportunities.

5) Research opportunities are the same at all the schools. UTMB/UTH/UTHSCSA all have nearly identical NIH funding (i think UTMB might be higher than the other two, but what is a few million out of hundreds of million).

Really, all the schools are gonna be the same in my opinion. Any inequity in 'experience' can probably be easily negated by a student's willingness to seek out opportunities. All three are replete with opportunities. This is evidenced by the percentages of residency matches which are essentially the same at each school. And lets be honest, the students are all the schools are not going to be too entirely different. Compositions of each school (esp UTH and UTHSCSA are going to reflect to a larger extent the ethnic/cultural attitudes of their respective cities).

I agree completely with you. The only real difference I have seen is the curriculum. I think the reason UTMB is so appealing to me is because they only have 1 test at a time where UTHSCSA/UTH have 5+ at a time, which honestly just frightens me. Here are my reactions to each of the schools:

1) UTMB: half day classes and 1 test at a time seems like a really good schedule to me. However, I am very interested in research, but not infectious disease research, which is what UTMB is known for. There seem to be a lot of clinical opportunities in the 1st and 2nd year, which I really like and feel is important. The school also has a very laid-back environment, which I like.

2) UTH: Honestly, the best thing about UTH is that it is in the TMC, which allows for a lot of clinical experiences, but I feel that it can probably get a bit overwhelming at times. The stress of the curriculum scares me (but it could possibly be that I interviewed right in the middle of finals where they had 12 tests in a row and were a little on edge) but I like that there is overlap between classes. The most important thing for me is the MD Anderson Cancer Center. I want to do cancer research and there is really no better place to do that then there. All of the students also seemed really nice, despite the fact that they were extremely stressed out at the time.

3) UTHSCSA: Basically the same curriculum as UTH (but I am unsure of the overlap between classes, so if someone can answer that, it would be great) with multiple tests at a time. There also seemed to be very good clinical and research opportunities. I liked that there is an NCI cancer center and an affiliated children's hospital that treats pediatric cancers (I want to do pediatric oncology). However, I left UTHSCSA liking it the least of the three (but that may have only been because I didn't feel too good about my interviews, which obviously didn't go as bad as I though)

Based on this, and thinking while I type, I may be leaning more towards UTHSCSA solely because of the opportunities in pediatric oncology. All three seem like really good schools though, and the decision is tough. If only schools would send out post-interview rejections, this would be so much easier.

I just don't want to get TOO sucked in to medicine

The only bad thing about UTMBs half day schedule, in my opinion, is that you get to spend the other half of the day in galveston....meh?

I will be deciding where to go based, more or less, on location alone.

(besides the class schedules which I do think is the biggest difference)

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.