2010-2011 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prematched to UTHSCSA, and they sent me the MPH application link. I am slightly in favor of acquiring a dual degree of MD-MPH (4yr), but I heard research is more important for competitive residencies like Ortho, so I am more in favor of MD with distinction in Research than MPH. So, It would be greatly appreciated if Med Students at UTHSCSA can weigh in on if the MPH degree, or the Distinciton in Research would help more in landing competitive recidencies??? P.S. I can wait till after matching for sending in a MPH app, right?

I'm a MS4 in the first (hopefully graduating) MD/MPH class. First, it's hard to say for sure what anyone will specialize in and there are probably only a handful of people in each class who know exactly what they want to practice and actually go into that field. Also, although the test option is what a majority of the MPH students pursue, you can do a research option. Try to find clinical research and put a public health spin on. You can really make it into whatever you want but you'll need to find research, staff/mentor, etc early on which can be a difficult part.

Members don't see this ad.

hey all, got my acceptance email on dec. 13!!!! it's my first acceptance, so I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SUPER EXCITED!!!!

stats are 3.7, 34R, OOS

has anyone gotten their hard copy acceptance letter yet? I am home for the holidays, so I am afraid to miss it. what is our deadline to respond to our acceptance of admission?

Congrats! Looks like Dec. 13 was a great day for someone else too :D I am OOS (CA) and got my letter on 12/20. It wasn't mailed out until 12/16 though (I called the application center on 12/17 and they said admissions took a little longer than usual getting them the letters to send out). As was already pointed out though, you have plenty of time to send back the form (even better if you have access to a fax machine).

Thanks Roshario. I didn't know that MPH can be research based too. That would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Brilliant!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if this has been answered before, but can any of you current UTHSCSA students tell us about what the call schedule is like during 3rd year? I know it varies based on rotation, but what is it like for the more arduous rotations like surgery and medicine?

Faxed it today, but luckily the admissions office was closed so there was no one to tell me if they got it!

I faxed mine in a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a confirmation. You will want to call or e-mail to make sure they received it

I faxed mine in a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a confirmation. You will want to call or e-mail to make sure they received it

Called today, they didn't receive it. I'm about to send it again and see if it goes through.

to ask if anymore pre-match acceptance batches would be sent out before the end of the year, and was told that no more prematches would go out until the first week of january?? i thought that no prematches could go out after december 31st??

Accepted today (12/30)!!!
Interviewed 12/13

Happy holidays everyone

Really? Were you instate?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if they accept pre-reqs that are online from a community college

Congrats to all the last-minute pre-match acceptees! Come join the class FB page! Just search "UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2015" or access it through the UTHSCSA SOM admissions page!!

does anyone know if they accept pre-reqs that are online from a community college

Depends on the class and the college - you can ask TMDSAS if the pre-req counts and avoid the issue with each school. My pre-reqs were a mix of community college and four year university.

If the community college offers same class in a class room environment, the classes are equivalent - some online classes still require in person labs

Hope this helps

Did any other OOSers who interviewed in 2010 receive any offers of acceptances?! This wait is killing me!

Did any other OOSers who interviewed in 2010 receive any offers of acceptances?! This wait is killing me!

Hey bud,

I'm an OOSer. I interviewed in September and I was accepted back in October. Don't sweat it, there's still plenty of time.

Hi everyone,
I have been reading on here for ages and decided to register. I am considered an OOS although I have lived in Texas for three years. Anyway, I was accepted at UT San Antonio on October 20 (interview date 9/20). I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from the school yet, e.g. regarding the orientation, email set up or whatever should come from the registrar? Anything at all?

Hi everyone,
I have been reading on here for ages and decided to register. I am considered an OOS although I have lived in Texas for three years. Anyway, I was accepted at UT San Antonio on October 20 (interview date 9/20). I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from the school yet, e.g. regarding the orientation, email set up or whatever should come from the registrar? Anything at all?

nope.

Hi everyone,

Per admissions, we should be getting a packet shortly after the match (Feb 1), and "welcome weekend" is the first weekend of April.

So what's the general consensus on sending in January Pre-Match letters of interest? I'm planning on sending one, but wanted to get a couple more opinions first. My only Texas interview was at UTHSCSA, so I kind of feel like I have nothing to loose.

Thanks.

So what's the general consensus on sending in January Pre-Match letters of interest? I'm planning on sending one, but wanted to get a couple more opinions first. My only Texas interview was at UTHSCSA, so I kind of feel like I have nothing to loose.

Thanks.

I have thought a lot about this… I am sending out letters to the schools I interviewed with, but I am doing this after the match... Only due to these reasons:

1. I don't think they will read them and actually take them into account as much before the match because even they don’t know for sure if you will be accepted to their school yet. By this I mean, they will turn in a long list of people they want, but until the "match" actually occurs and people get into different schools they match higher, they don't know how many on that list are going to get acceptances. Hope that theory doesn’t confuse you much :)

2. If you send the letter now, and then you get waitlisted after the match, what will you be able to do about it? This is the main reason I am waiting until after the match to send out letters of interest. I want to be able to do something about getting a waitlist, and I have a lot of updates to give right now. I don’t want to waste them on all of the schools I have a chance at matching with because if I match into my second choice, I would like to be able to beg my way into getting an acceptance with my first choice.

So as hard as it is to wait for the match and do nothing… I think it would be better to wait and see where the chips fall, then take action.

2. If you send the letter now, and then you get waitlisted after the match, what will you be able to do about it? This is the main reason I am waiting until after the match to send out letters of interest. I want to be able to do something about getting a waitlist, and I have a lot of updates to give right now. I don’t want to waste them on all of the schools I have a chance at matching with because if I match into my second choice, I would like to be able to beg my way into getting an acceptance with my first choice.

Hey Noshie,

I'm just cuirous, but why only send one letter to the admissions office? I was always told that at some places it really helps to kind of send them a few letters to get your name out there. I have a few friends that kept bugging the admissions offices with letters at some schools and ended up coming off the wait lists in April. All the admissions offices love to hear how great their school is! So you could send a letter before the match, and one after the match? Just make sure they're not the exact same letter.

It's just a thought, but I was curious if there was any reason you're only sending one letter?

Hey Noshie,

I'm just cuirous, but why only send one letter to the admissions office? I was always told that at some places it really helps to kind of send them a few letters to get your name out there. I have a few friends that kept bugging the admissions offices with letters at some schools and ended up coming off the wait lists in April. All the admissions offices love to hear how great their school is! So you could send a letter before the match, and one after the match? Just make sure they're not the exact same letter.

It's just a thought, but I was curious if there was any reason you're only sending one letter?

Well, I was thinking about this too... But I really wouldn't have much to say in my second letter. I have some updates, like new publications, new position at work and a second job as an adjunct professor... And then I can plead my case for how i fit in with the school. But after I send all this in, I am not sure I will have much to say until way after the match, like April or so. If I get waitlisted, I will definitely be calling and bugging them though. I won't have much to lose at that point!

FYI - For those of us attending UTHSCSA next year, I have started a thread in the school specific threads in the allopathic forum

Got my official rejection letter from UTHSCSA today... Via email. Never received an interview here, so it was not much of a surprise. Still stings though... :( And they said in the letter that they would not be able to tell applicants how to better their application for future cycles. Harsh.

Got my official rejection letter from UTHSCSA today... Via email. Never received an interview here, so it was not much of a surprise. Still stings though... :( And they said in the letter that they would not be able to tell applicants how to better their application for future cycles. Harsh.

Got the same letter, very harsh.

I got the rejection letter from my only other possible acceptance today. San Antonio is therefore my only option. Here's to hoping I match. This is really not a bad thing as San Antonio is really the place I would most like to end up. Good luck to everyone on match day.

I got the rejection letter from my only other possible acceptance today. San Antonio is therefore my only option. Here's to hoping I match. This is really not a bad thing as San Antonio is really the place I would most like to end up. Good luck to everyone on match day.

Sorry you got a rejection. :( Where was the rejection to, if that is not being too forward? :) Just good to know...

Sorry you got a rejection. :( Where was the rejection to, if that is not being too forward? :) Just good to know...

Sure Noshie, it was to my only non-Texas school, USUHS.

Does anyone by chance know how match heavy UTHSCSA is? Do they send most of their acceptances through pre-match?

Does anyone by chance know how match heavy UTHSCSA is? Do they send most of their acceptances through pre-match?

At interview day, Dr Jones mentioned 50-70 for match day, so that would equate to 22-31% matching on match day.

Hi everyone! San Antonio born and raised - interviewed 11/24 accepted 12/6. Pumped to meet everyone!

Hey, has anyone received any criminal background check info? I haven't received an email or letter or anything. I don't want to miss that... and then not be allowed to attend... THAT WOULD SUUUCK! Accepted mid-December.

Hey, has anyone received any criminal background check info? I haven't received an email or letter or anything. I don't want to miss that... and then not be allowed to attend... THAT WOULD SUUUCK! Accepted mid-December.

They will send out everything after the Feb match.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but as UTHSCSA is my only hope of being accepted to medical school this year, I am in the midst of the beginning of a slow-burning, controlled freak out leading up to Tuesday's Match. Making things even worse, my wife wants me to wait until I get home from classes at 1 pm, so we can check together.

I know some of you have been through this a few times, but it's hard not to worry that this may be my only shot. I'm well above the average age, and with a family, doing an SMP is not an option for me. I would have to work somewhere if I was forced to re-apply.

I may regret saying this, but I feel good about my application. I know I have my shortfalls, but I also recognize that I have a unique set of strengths. As I'm sure we are all thinking, I hope my strengths are enough to make a difference. Tuesday may well determine the rest of my life (as well as yours). To top it all off, San Antonio really was the school I really wanted to end up at. Matching here would be a dream come true.

Anyway, are ya'll also in the midst of the beginnings of a slow-burning, controlled freak out session too?

Does anyone know what time they post the match results tuesday??

Does anyone know how match works for out of state people? I interviewed in November and havent heard anything back yet. I really liked this school and I'm hoping I can get in. Do out of state students not participate in match/find out on Feb 1? or do we?

Thanks

Does anyone know how match works for out of state people? I interviewed in November and havent heard anything back yet. I really liked this school and I'm hoping I can get in. Do out of state students not participate in match/find out on Feb 1? or do we?

Thanks

I'm not sure but I believe the match is only for in-state TX residents. Out of state applicants typically hear sometime earlier, I believe.

Thanks

Yea you'll get an email. I interviewed in October and got accepted earlier this month so just hang in there, none of this match stuff applies. If anything I think OOS kids who haven't heard yet will have to wait longer for their decisions since the admissions office is really focused on the match right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.