2010-2011 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there is going to be a workshop, they are just deciding on a date.

April 29th son

Who's goin?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got an e-mail from Amanda Magel about the workshop. Copy and pasting it here: Good afternoon,

We have set a date for our Re-Applicant Workshop this spring for those of you who are interested in attending.
We will be meeting on Friday, April 29, 2011 in the Medical School Building. Check-In will begin at 12:45pm with the workshop lasting from 1:00pm to 4:00pm and be structured in two parts, a general presentation followed by individual conferences. You must check-in at the guard desk first and then our table to receive your materials and your assigned conference time slot. The individual conferences will last for 15 minutes and be a one on one meeting between you and one of the Assistant Deans of Admissions and Student Affairs.

Space for the workshop is limited and on a first come first serve basis so please e-mail your RSVP directly to me at [email protected] as soon as possible. For directions to the Medical School Building and parking please click here.

Please see the agenda below.
12:45pm-1:00pm Check-In Medical School Building (MSB)-Leather Lounge
1:00pm-2:00pm Dean Presentation MSB G.100
2:00pm-4:00pm Individual Conferences with Dr. Love or Dr. Gleason MSB- Admissions Office G.300

Those of y'all going to the workshop, what are you wearing? I'm definitely not wearing a tie. I'm thinking business casual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, did you guys hear back about scholarships yet? The application said we should have heard back by April 15th.

And have any OOS students heard anything about the Competitive scholarship? Since they've had budget cuts, are they no longer offering that?

Hey, did you guys hear back about scholarships yet? The application said we should have heard back by April 15th.

And have any OOS students heard anything about the Competitive scholarship? Since they've had budget cuts, are they no longer offering that?

I called on April 15th to find that I didn't receive one. Apparently, if you haven't heard anything it means they weren't able to offer you $$.

The lady wasn't able to tell me how the criteria they used to award scholarships. FWIW, I had a 99th percentile MCAT and family income under $50k. I was kinda hoping to get a little something :(

I received my scholarship offer letter on the 13th, is anyone doing pre-entry?

Withdrew my acceptance today, good luck to those on the waitlist. :luck:

Withdrew my acceptance today, good luck to those on the waitlist. :luck:

"I hate to see you go, but [those on the waitlist] love to watch you leave". ---- sorry, Weezy just performed here in Houston. Had to.

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone doing pre-entry?

I'm trying to decide. I was (am for the next 5 days?) a biology/english double major. When talking to people about it at welcome weekend they made it sound like it was really intended for people who only took the prereqs/were several years out of undergrad. I'm not sure how helpful it would be, but I'm also thinking that by that point I'll probably be bored of summer and ready to get started.

I received my scholarship offer letter on the 13th, is anyone doing pre-entry?

I had a trip planned during pre-entry last year so I couldn't do it. But the people who did do it seemed to really enjoy it and they did awesome on the first couple blocks of anatomy (since they'd already done it). So I think it's a great idea if you don't have other plans.

I had a trip planned during pre-entry last year so I couldn't do it. But the people who did do it seemed to really enjoy it and they did awesome on the first couple blocks of anatomy (since they'd already done it). So I think it's a great idea if you don't have other plans.

when does it start?

is the early start invite only? I've been out of school for a year so it sounded appealing but then again I would like to enjoy my last summer

is the early start invite only? I've been out of school for a year so it sounded appealing but then again I would like to enjoy my last summer

wondering the same thing. Ive also been out of school for a year now, and wouldnt mind 1 less month out of my 14 month long vacation.

Yes, I believe so. Only about 30 or so students do it. Maybe others can correct me on that. People who do it seem to enjoy it, but you will in no way be disadvantaged if you don't.

I got an e-mail from Amanda Magel about the workshop. Copy and pasting it here: Good afternoon,

We have set a date for our Re-Applicant Workshop this spring for those of you who are interested in attending.
We will be meeting on Friday, April 29, 2011 in the Medical School Building. Check-In will begin at 12:45pm with the workshop lasting from 1:00pm to 4:00pm and be structured in two parts, a general presentation followed by individual conferences. You must check-in at the guard desk first and then our table to receive your materials and your assigned conference time slot. The individual conferences will last for 15 minutes and be a one on one meeting between you and one of the Assistant Deans of Admissions and Student Affairs.

Space for the workshop is limited and on a first come first serve basis so please e-mail your RSVP directly to me at [email protected] as soon as possible. For directions to the Medical School Building and parking please click here.

Please see the agenda below.
12:45pm-1:00pm Check-In Medical School Building (MSB)-Leather Lounge
1:00pm-2:00pm Dean Presentation MSB G.100
2:00pm-4:00pm Individual Conferences with Dr. Love or Dr. Gleason MSB- Admissions Office G.300

So... who's planning on goin to the workshop???

What everyone think of the workshop today? I enjoyed it. Thought it was worth the 3 hr drive. I didn't expect to see Dr. McNeese or Dr. Lahoti there.

I am just wondering if those who have been to welcome weekend, the workshops, or anything for that matter have heard anything about the waitlist? How much movement is expected? Has there been much movement (I saw one person has gotten in [above])? Any insights into the inner workings of the waitlist process would be much appreciated. Thanks.

amount of movement depends solely on how many acceptances are getting shifted around. with A&M being overbooked this year, I'm not sure how much movement around Texas there will be.

Thank you :)

But now I have to pick between here and San Antonio. Not as easy as I thought it would be.

Congrats texashopeful and drdrummer; if you don't mind could you post, or pm me, your stats. I am currently waitlisted and would like a rough idea of where I stand. Also, how is it that you are notified of your acceptance?

Thanks

*how is it that you are notified? Email, phone call?

Congrats texashopeful and drdrummer; if you don't mind could you post, or pm me, your stats. I am currently waitlisted and would like a rough idea of where I stand. Also, how is it that you are notified of your acceptance?

Thanks

If I could get a PM too I would be appreciative! I'm in the same boat!

The lady wasn't able to tell me how the criteria they used to award scholarships. FWIW, I had a 99th percentile MCAT and family income under $50k. I was kinda hoping to get a little something :(

Wow... Surprised about that. My impression is that it was heavily need-based (well obviously since we had to report Family income etc.)

they sent us an email a few weeks ago saying they won't have anything for us any time soon because the state is trying to figure out how much they're budgeting for student grants, loans, scholarships, etc.

I think they usually send them out in May/June anyway.

Any word on financial aid packages yet? Getting more anxious as time passes...

Also, does anyone know if Perkins loans are available or if someone can get more than $20,500 in stafford loans for 1st year?:xf:

Any word on financial aid packages yet? Getting more anxious as time passes...

Also, does anyone know if Perkins loans are available or if someone can get more than $20,500 in stafford loans for 1st year?:xf:

I believe the max you can borrow is around $38k/year. This amount covers the cost of living (as budgeted by the school), tuition and fees. They usually overbudget and you can decline a portion of that amount. I was thinking $28-30k/year would more likely be the money most people end up borrowing. Is that reasonable?

I believe the max you can borrow is around $38k/year. This amount covers the cost of living (as budgeted by the school), tuition and fees. They usually overbudget and you can decline a portion of that amount. I was thinking $28-30k/year would more likely be the money most people end up borrowing. Is that reasonable?

http://www.uthouston.edu/dotAsset/2991551.pdf

Here are the numbers for next year. You will be able to borrow up to the cost of attendance. Hope this helps.

Thanks

I got a 34 MCAT, and a 3.7 GPA, with a 3.5something BCPM GPA from a thoroughly mediocre state university with a direction in the name. I've lived in Houston for the last few years working with Teach for America, and wrote a letter after I matched elsewhere trying to describe why I wanted to go to UTH and what I thought I'd add to the class if they admitted me.

I got an e-mail from Nancy Murphy.

I think it's tough to estimate where you stand. Being waitlisted is a particularly frustrating position-- I was all set to go to my original school, had found a potential roommate, and was really excited about it. Now I'm set to stay in Houston. Weird how it all works, but it does.

Best of luck to anyone still on a waitlist. Nothing's over until it's over-- get introspective, solicit as much information as you can about why you weren't accepted this year (if you weren't), and if you were, get excited about matriculating to your match school.

Thanks drdrummer; I appreciate it. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the same email!

ditto.

Definitely applying to UTH for residency however! Amazing everything.

So the AMCAS school deadline for multiple acceptances has passed. Anyone else out there heard of movement at UTH? I'm going crazy to get in off the wlist...

Thanks...

To those already accepted to UT-H, congratulations, I don't know if you realize how lucky you are. We are getting a great, great opportunity at the medical center.

To those still hoping to get in, I hope you do. I hope you get the chance you're waiting on.

I just got accepted off of the waitlist! I have no idea what to do now. I must choose between UTMB, where I matched, and UTH. Any thoughts between the two? Thanks guys. It won't be an easy decision. I am from the north part of Houston, so I know what both areas are like.

I'd go with UTH. The Medical Center is the Medical Center, but instead of relaxing on the beach you'll be relaxing on the way home in traffic. I don't know much about UTMB, but if I was you I'd go with UTH.

I interviewed at both schools, I thought the curriculum at UTMB was set up better, and the board scores are slightly higher. UTH is in a nicer neighborhood than Galveston but the beach can be pretty relaxing. I also thought it would be easier to focus and not over party in Galveston rather than downtown Houston. The Texas Medical Center is awesome, UTMB has the option for clerkships in Houston or Austin. I really don't think you can go wrong with either especially considering the schools have just about the same rankings and reputation. The students I met at both schools seemed pretty chill and laid back. Houston will have a higher cost of living most likely and the traffic will be bad, but Galveston can seem a bit ghetto if you're not used to that kind of thing.

I just got accepted off of the waitlist! I have no idea what to do now. I must choose between UTMB, where I matched, and UTH. Any thoughts between the two? Thanks guys. It won't be an easy decision. I am from the north part of Houston, so I know what both areas are like.

You already know both areas that the schools are around, and both schools have a similar reputation, so it pretty much just comes down to whether you see yourself in the city or on an island. Sorry i might be a little shortsighted, but having been in a similar situation i made my decision based on that question.

so far it seems like we're seeing less waitlist movement. do you think the same? I'm getting worried and impatient with this process!! :scared:

so far it seems like we're seeing less waitlist movement. do you think the same? I'm getting worried and impatient with this process!! :scared:

Yea if you are sitting on two acceptances please decide! June 1 is when those who have acceptances other places can't get in off waitlists anymore (i.e. can't get into the schools they ranked higher or want more). I'm in at another school but UTH is my #1. But still waiting...:scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.