2010-2011 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got in off the waitlist this afternoon ~4:30 via e-mail!! cannot believe it, it's still so surreal!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea if you are sitting on two acceptances please decide! June 1 is when those who have acceptances other places can't get in off waitlists anymore (i.e. can't get into the schools they ranked higher or want more). I'm in at another school but UTH is my #1. But still waiting...:scared:

Is it June 1st? Last cycle it was June 15th and I was accepted off the wait list June 9 I think while still holding another TX acceptance. Did they change the date?

i got in off the waitlist this afternoon ~4:30 via e-mail!! cannot believe it, it's still so surreal!

congrats!!! this is a really good school and as of now my first choice. i will be applying next cycle! just to get an idea of what to expect... can you post your stats?? that would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!

kind of ironic, but I withdrew from UT Houston just yesterday! maybe it went to you. Good luck in H-town!

Is it June 1st? Last cycle it was June 15th and I was accepted off the wait list June 9 I think while still holding another TX acceptance. Did they change the date?

I was also under the impression that it is June 15, not June 1. I hope for all our sakes that it is June 15, because June 1 is WAY too close for comfort.

congrats!!! this is a really good school and as of now my first choice. i will be applying next cycle! just to get an idea of what to expect... can you post your stats?? that would be greatly appreciated!

reapplicant, sGPA 3.65, cGPA 3.75, MCAT 30 (10PS, 10VS, 10BS)

wish you best of luck!

I think it was June 15th last year but the website says this year is June 1st.

+1 as of 4:17pm on the 26th. Really relieved. Now I'm just trying to figure out how/where I'm going to live. Anyone have good ways to find roommates?

P.S. People seem to want to know stats so I guess I'll post them:
34 MCAT 12 bio, 11, 11 very low writing score M (didn't practice and as a result ended up continuing with 10 min left and only one essay completed...idiot I know) 3.47 GPA from a top 15 university (applied with a 3.43)

According to the Admission's Twitter feed, it's still June 15th this year. I also talked to the head of admissions at another Texas school at one point, and she mentioned June 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who is starting as a first-year next year gotten their financial aid package yet?

third years start before you guys do and we still haven't gotten financial aid info

Oh I was asking if first years had because some upper classmen had mentioned on the facebook page that they had already received their info (and that was at least a few weeks ago).

I called fin aid a couple of days ago and they said that they're giving it out based on start date. So I'm guessing that maybe those in pre-entry or MD/PHD, etc. have already received packages since they start this summer. I'm starting second year in the fall and they said that that since I don't start till Aug, my info will come out sometime this month or next.

So, I would really love to attend UT Houston. I visited a while back and I loved it. Realistically, what do you guys think my chances are? Please be totally honest. Here are some of my stats:
- Texas resident
- Ivy League undergrad
-3.65 GPA, 3.55 sGPA
-26-27 MCAT
-roughly 75 shadowing hours
- Div. 1 varsity athlete w/ numerous awards (took up no less than 25-30 hours a week, literally)
- Double major in two subjects that are non-science related
-had to take a few science classes over the summer at a community college, or else I wouldn't have been able to complete a double major.
-2008 Coca-Cole scholar (if that even means anything...)

I would greatly appreciate some feedback

texthrow, have you taken the MCAT twice? Or are you anticipated a 26-27 score? If anything in your application is going to keep you out of UTH, it's a 27 MCAT. If you can do better, then retake it. Otherwise I'm sure you'll still be able to get into a Texas school if you can interview pretty well.

So, I would really love to attend UT Houston. I visited a while back and I loved it. Realistically, what do you guys think my chances are? Please be totally honest. Here are some of my stats:
- Texas resident
- Ivy League undergrad
-3.65 GPA, 3.55 sGPA
-26-27 MCAT
-roughly 75 shadowing hours
- Div. 1 varsity athlete w/ numerous awards (took up no less than 25-30 hours a week, literally)
- Double major in two subjects that are non-science related
-had to take a few science classes over the summer at a community college, or else I wouldn't have been able to complete a double major.
-2008 Coca-Cole scholar (if that even means anything...)

I would greatly appreciate some feedback

contact admissions and arrange a meeting to discuss your application (or potential application) They are the only ones who can accurately determine your chances.

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource for finding housing that is either within walking distance of campus or within walking distance of easily-accessible public transportation. I am particularly interested in finding out about options other than official graduate student housing.

Thanks.

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource for finding housing that is either within walking distance of campus or within walking distance of easily-accessible public transportation. I am particularly interested in finding out about options other than official graduate student housing.

Thanks.

I can dig up an old link where we discussed this. There are a ton of options near student housing or off the rail

Hi guys! I'm going to be an M1 at Baylor and I'm looking for a roommate! I bought a 2/2.5 condo in the Mosaic on Hermann Park. It's a brand new unit, with a shuttle to/from the med school every hour, an enormous gym, pool, and spa, reserved parking in a secured garage, and I'll have the kitchen and living room furnished already. Rent would be 1000/month, which includes all utilities, cable, internet, & parking. If you're interested, message me or email me at [email protected] !
www.mosaichouston.com

Can a current student shed some light on this please?

I was talking to someone last week and they were saying that the curriculum at UT is sooooo hard and some students are having an extremely hard time keeping up and a few were even dismissed. I also heard that administration isn't proactive at helping students when they are having trouble academically, they only step in when its too late. Apparently this school has one of the hardest MD curriculum's in the state and they don't plan on changing it. How do y'all feel about the curriculum? Is it doable? After hearing all of this im a little bit intimidated honestly...

Are professors helpful and resourceful? How are the exams? Is it true that several people were dismissed? I'm still holding on to my acceptnce into a 5-year program at GWU but their curriculum is sooo lax that i'll probably be sitting around twiddiling my thumbs. For the fall at GW the only class i'll take is gross anatomy and in the spring i'll take immunology and biochem (all classes I took during a postbacc program at UB Medical School).

At UT First year students take gross, biochem, histology and developmental anatomy. A much more challenging curriculum. Also...I was thinking if I did the 5-year at GW It would be much easier to get honors grades in my classes andget into a better residency, how hard is it to get all honors taking 4 classes at UT? One thing I LOOVVVEEE at UT that I didn't see at GW is how awesome the students are, during my interview day and during Welcome weekend current students were everywhere and so helpful and fun! It seems like ya'll really work well together! Something I didn't get to see at GW (maybe bc my interview was during finals..idk)

Thanks!!!!

I'm guessing that person is a student at a school other than UTH and has no first-hand experience with our curriculum? We've heard that sack of lies from students at another school to scare off prospective students from our school.

I don't know of any students getting "dismissed." Never heard of a single student being let go by the administration for academic reasons in the 2 years I've been here.

I'm not going to comment much further because it would probably lead to a string of expletives, but no, our school is not horrible. The curriculum is good. People get by just fine. We pass and we do well on our Step. Professors care about our success and get to know us personally.

I'll second everything Army said.

UT will provide tutors free of charge.
The professors are all very approachable and will answer questions if you're having trouble.
They get feedback from the students via several different routes each year, and make changes to accommodate us.
Finally, they will let you split the first year across two if the material is just coming too quickly.

Sounds like mind games from a non-UT student to me.

I'll second everything Army said.

UT will provide tutors free of charge.
The professors are all very approachable and will answer questions if you're having trouble.
They get feedback from the students via several different routes each year, and make changes to accommodate us.
Finally, they will let you split the first year across two if the material is just coming too quickly.

Sounds like mind games from a non-UT student to me.

I agree with everything that both Army and Tolip have said. I'll add that the school also allows students to repeat a year in certain circumstances (definitely don't just kick students out), and also have the possibility of leaves of absence for medical issues. They really don't ever want a student to fail.

I think almost all medical schools are pretty understanding and helpful. I know a few individuals at several different schools, including UTH, and they've all said similar things about faculty working with students in tough positions. After all, the last thing they want is a student to snap and go nuts under the pressure.

I think almost all medical schools are pretty understanding and helpful. I know a few individuals at several different schools, including UTH, and they've all said similar things about faculty working with students in tough positions. After all, the last thing they want is a student to snap and go nuts under the pressure.
in addition to this, every school is hard. we all cover the same material. anyone who thinks one school is easier or harder than others is fooling themselves.

I took Step last week with a bunch of UTMB students and they said they liked their curriculum and the way things are set up. we said we liked it how we did it. I can sit here and say I don't get how you can learn from PBL, but UTMB students do it and love it. they can moan about our block schedule, but we love it and we do well at it.

I'd never trust negative information that a medical student is giving about a school that they don't attend. unless they've been through it, they have no idea what it's really like at that school.

I was talking to someone last week and they were saying that the curriculum at UT is sooooo hard and some students are having an extremely hard time keeping up and a few were even dismissed. I also heard that administration isn't proactive at helping students when they are having trouble academically, they only step in when its too late. Apparently this school has one of the hardest MD curriculum's in the state and they don't plan on changing it. How do y'all feel about the curriculum? Is it doable? After hearing all of this im a little bit intimidated honestly...

Are professors helpful and resourceful? How are the exams? Is it true that several people were dismissed? I'm still holding on to my acceptnce into a 5-year program at GWU but their curriculum is sooo lax that i'll probably be sitting around twiddiling my thumbs. For the fall at GW the only class i'll take is gross anatomy and in the spring i'll take immunology and biochem (all classes I took during a postbacc program at UB Medical School).

At UT First year students take gross, biochem, histology and developmental anatomy. A much more challenging curriculum. Also...I was thinking if I did the 5-year at GW It would be much easier to get honors grades in my classes andget into a better residency, how hard is it to get all honors taking 4 classes at UT? One thing I LOOVVVEEE at UT that I didn't see at GW is how awesome the students are, during my interview day and during Welcome weekend current students were everywhere and so helpful and fun! It seems like ya'll really work well together! Something I didn't get to see at GW (maybe bc my interview was during finals..idk)

Thanks!!!!

Curious to know... who were you talking to? Was this person even a med student???

Anyhow, I second and third the posts of my schoolmates. Just to reiterate, the faculty are extremely helpful. I have personally met with faculty members who have sat down with me for over 45 min in some cases. They even help you figure out questions on the old exams. If you want an easier load, you can always opt for the 5 year track here at UT H. That IMO would be much better than paying triple tuition at GWU.

Also, UTH will be able to see your GWU acceptance. You may want to make a decision soon. In my app year, assoc dean of admissions said that at a certain point they'll look up your other admits and give you a deadline to make a decision. This way they avoid people pulling out too closely school start date.

Lastly, a good student will be a good student anywhere. If you pick your med school based on which you think will be easiest, you may find yourself terribly disappointed.

Thanks!!!!

I"m curious as to whether the 5 year program you are referring to is the International program or first-year extension program to help students make the transition. Since you are probably referring to the latter of the two, "only class i'll take is gross anatomy and in the spring i'll take immunology and biochem", any traditional curriculum will likely deemed difficult in comparison. Frankly, even if UT-H had such a reputation I would be consoled knowing I would be mentally prepared for 3rd year and beyond.

Last edited:
I curious as to whether the 5 year program you are referring to is the International program or first-year extension program to help students make the transition. Since you are probably referring to the latter of the two, "only class i'll take is gross anatomy and in the spring i'll take immunology and biochem", any traditional curriculum will likely deemed difficult in comparison. Frankly, even if UT-H had such a reputation I would be consoled knowing I would be mentally prepared for 3rd year and beyond.

Based on OP's previous posts in the GWU vs UTH thread, she's referring to the first-year extension program to help students make the transition

Come on guys, OP could still be your classmate next year. As Texas medical students, let's be friendly and down to earth :).

I had a similar issue last year, where I got into a school on the east coast. I had this romantic attraction to moving out there. I had also sworn out loud that I would never live in Houston for as long as I lived. I also have a boyfriend of 7 years and while he supported me and loved the idea of moving with me, I definitely hadn't signed a lease with him in Houston.

I made the decision to stay in TX pretty quickly.
1. CoA at the other school was listed as $71K/yr. Thank goodness I pay ~$14K/yr in tuition now.
2. I'd rather not live 2,000 miles from my family, SO, etc. Medical school has been hard enough with my strong support system close by. I can't imagine not having that.
3. TMC... Do you even remember touring it?? DC can't begin to compete with those opportunities.

- Also, I have lived in both DC and Houston, and fwiw I much prefer houson. By a landslide.
- So GW is making you do the decelerated program?? Don't you find that somewhat insulting? It's great to have a choice to do so, but what does that say about how they view you as a student before you've even begun. You say it would give you a chance to honor all your classes- you should know that basic science grades aren't all that important and I would hope as a "future leader in medicine" you would have enough faith in yourself and your abilities that you will be able to do well and work hard whatever the curriculum. Also, you talked about twiddling your thumbs during a decelerated program. I assure you that just because you take 2 classes instead of 4 that you will not be bored. It will still be more information to learn than you have ever seen.

Ok, I've finished this enormous string of rambling. Just my opinions on your situation.

Come on guys, OP could still be your classmate next year. As Texas medical students, let's be friendly and down to earth :).

Sorry you're right. :)

It's just - TexasBelle. You are your own person, and ultimately you'll make a decision for yourself. So stop looking for confirmation from your parents/friends/boyfriend/members of SDN as to what you want to do. At this point you've been advised in multiple threads on this issue - so own your decision and do what will make you happy, even if it's not what someone else thinks is the best idea.

I have yet to meet a medical student who said "If I was only at that school, I'd be happy/a better student."

You'll adjust to any medical school you go to, whatever the curriculum, cost, and living situation. You'll make friends, you'll find places you like to go, and at times you'll enjoy yourself, regardless of the school you go to.

I think people are afraid that their success depends on which school they go to, and it's just not true. Your success will depend completely on you and your attitude. Just make a decision and stick to it.

I have a question:

If I was accepted from a waitlist of another Texas medical school while I am on the waitlist at UTH, can I still be accepted at UTH at this point? Do I have to reject my waitlist acceptance to remain on the UTH waitlist? Can I accept the offer from the other school and later accept an offer from UTH?

I was also not matched and this is my first acceptance and I am a Texas resident.

I was also just currently accepted at the other school just recently.

Thanks for your help!

as long you ranked UTH higher than the other school, you still have a shot at UTH, as far as I understand it.

accept the spot, then keep waiting for UTH.

Thank you for the reply.

I'm also planning to re-take the MCAT on July 6th. Do you think I have a shot at improving my chances at the UTH waitlist if I improve my score and notify them ASAP? Will they even consider something like that? I've been preparing for the past 2 months and my practice test scores have improved substantially, and the test is only a few weeks away.

And yes, UTH is ranked higher.

I might be mistaken, but I believe a Texas med school can no longer extend an officer to someone holding an offer from another Texas medical school (after 6/15).

Status
Not open for further replies.