2010-2011 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When are they going to update the "entering student" checklist?
who knows

if there's anything you specifically need help figuring out when to do just ask here and we can let you know.

a lot of people didn't get their pictures in very quickly. getting the background check done is obviously important. return the acceptance packet as soon as you can. get your immunizations done.

Members don't see this ad.

you obviously can't read your name on here, but we're proud to have all of you match/prematch at our school.

165597_836697534363_9202743_43357086_765799_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
The syllabi are amazing! In my opinion you really don't need anything else.

Congrats to those who matched today!!!! Welcome to the UTH family!

i wish i could say i am one of those accepted, however, i got my #2 school - I also would like to know how do we find out about wait list vs. completely rejected?

congrats to all :)

Hey this is from the TMDSAS website

"
Match Process

The regular match will be conducted on February 1 to confirm the pre-match offers applicants are holding and to fill the remaining slots for the medical schools. Individual match results will be posted on the TMDSAS application at 8:00 AM (CST) February 1.

1. The deadline for applicants to submit their match preference rank list online is January 10, 2011 by 11:59 PM (CST).
  2. Applicants must rank all schools where they interviewed. All schools must be ranked regardless of whether or not a pre-match offer was received.
    • Applicants holding a pre-match offer who have interviewed at school(s) that did not extend
      an offer may rank one or more of those schools higher than the pre-match offer school without risk of losing the pre-match offer.
    • An applicant holding a pre-match offer who matches to a higher ranked school will automatically be withdrawn from the pre-match offer school. They will also be withdrawn from all other lower ranked schools. The applicant will remain open to be selected by schools ranked higher than the school matched to.
  3. Following the match, the standard rolling admissions will continue through the beginning of orientation at each medical school.
How to View Match Results:
To view your match results, log in to the application. Once you are logged in, click on the [View Match Results] button. If you matched to a school, the school name will be listed.
If you did not match to a school, keep in mind that the standard rolling admissions will begin after the match process and continue through the beginning of orientation at each medical school. You will be contacted directly by a medical school if you are moved to their alternate list or made an offer after the match process.

Hope that helps!

i wish i could say i am one of those accepted, however, i got my #2 school - I also would like to know how do we find out about wait list vs. completely rejected?

congrats to all :)

This just came down from the UT-H Admissions Twitter account-

"If you interviewed at UTH this fall you are automatically in the pool to be accepted during the rolling admissions process. Good luck!"

This just came down from the UT-H Admissions Twitter account-

"If you interviewed at UTH this fall you are automatically in the pool to be accepted during the rolling admissions process. Good luck!"

This just proves I should open a Twitter account! That is amazing, I really hope I get in. This school, and Baylor, are two schools I fell in love with almost immediately! I love being in Houston, and TMC is amazing. I go there once a week (on my day off from work) because I love the area, the hustle and bustle, etc. Plus, I enjoy riding the train haha!! Congrats to all who were matched yesterday and to those who are in a similar boat to me and are still waiting, good luck!!! :luck:

This just proves I should open a Twitter account! That is amazing, I really hope I get in. This school, and Baylor, are two schools I fell in love with almost immediately! I love being in Houston, and TMC is amazing. I go there once a week (on my day off from work) because I love the area, the hustle and bustle, etc. Plus, I enjoy riding the train haha!! Congrats to all who were matched yesterday and to those who are in a similar boat to me and are still waiting, good luck!!! :luck:

where were you matched to? hope you get your first choice.

does anybody know when the housing wait list starts to move? or with how much time in advance they let you know if youll get housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of the current students on here have general advice for us? In particular, what should we do during our last semester and summer before medical school?

Thanks!

just enjoy your free time. don't worry about studying or doing anything other than having fun.

Ive gotten used to this. At first I was bouncing off the walls, but now I have been enjoying all my free time and just trying to have fun. Hopefully ill be able to jump start my brain before school starts.

I know sometimes people are worried that if they're not all up on their studying that they won't be ready for school. You'll be ready. You'll get a big jumpstart on the first day of school. You'll think you're way behind the curve and everyone else probably knows everything that you have forgotten, but it's not true.

does anybody know when the housing wait list starts to move? or with how much time in advance they let you know if youll get housing?

The housing wait list starts to move day 1. It all depends on when you want to move in. Myself and a few other people got on the wait list on Jan 20 for a Feb move in. I got a call two days later and moved in Jan 28. If you sign up for a June/July move in (peak move in), when you get a call will depend on how many people are ahead of you on the wait list and how many apartments become available. But yes, it's definitely moving and if you're already on the list, I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem getting a place... eventually.

Can any current UT-H student shed any light on how much waitlist movement there is? I'm sure it differs from year to year and there are obviously a ton of people on the waitlist/rolling admissions list. Are there at least a few students in your classes who were accepted post-match?

I know quite a few in my class who got in off the waitlist. Who knows what the exact number is or what it will be, though.

I would not say hope is lost.

The housing wait list starts to move day 1. It all depends on when you want to move in. Myself and a few other people got on the wait list on Jan 20 for a Feb move in. I got a call two days later and moved in Jan 28. If you sign up for a June/July move in (peak move in), when you get a call will depend on how many people are ahead of you on the wait list and how many apartments become available. But yes, it's definitely moving and if you're already on the list, I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem getting a place... eventually.

So you were already moved in by January... If I had money laying around for several months worth of rent, I would totally do that.

I also got on the list on Jan 20th, but there was already a huge line by the time the leasing office opened. Wish I would have known about that, but Im sure it will be fine.

So you were already moved in by January... If I had money laying around for several months worth of rent, I would totally do that.

I also got on the list on Jan 20th, but there was already a huge line by the time the leasing office opened. Wish I would have known about that, but Im sure it will be fine.

Am I right in assuming that there are separate wait lists for single vs. double apartments at the University Housing? Are you signed up for a single?

I'm planning on living there, but I'm OOS and I pretty much won't know a soul at the school. I'd really like to meet some people and get a roommate at Welcome Weekend. You think that will be too late to sign up for housing in March?

Am I right in assuming that there are separate wait lists for single vs. double apartments at the University Housing? Are you signed up for a single?

I'm planning on living there, but I'm OOS and I pretty much won't know a soul at the school. I'd really like to meet some people and get a roommate at Welcome Weekend. You think that will be too late to sign up for housing in March?

I dont know if they are separate. I would assume they pull you off the list based on what you prefer, when you want to move in and whats available. While waiting in line, I met a first year who said he got on the waitlist last year around this time, but he wasnt able to get housing.... I dont know if thats generally the case, thats just what he said.

You can apply to 2 floor plans for the cost of one application. You can apply for a double even if you dont have a roommate right now. From what I understand, if you happen to get a double you wont have any trouble finding a roommate.

Last edited:
the list moves based on what opened up. the first person on the list who wants that kind of unit and wants to move in when it's ready will get it. so if a unit is available on June 1, it doesn't matter if the first 20 people on the list want it on July 1, it will go to the first person who wanted it in June (or rollovers from May, if there are any left)

Yes, I moved in last weekend but keep in mind that I'm already a student. I was already in old University Housing so I wasn't locked into my lease. That's the reason that I was able to sign up for such an early move-in date. It was just a matter of moving up the street. I would have definitely not signed up for such an early move-in date if I didn't need the place until fall.

As addo stated, they are not separate. You can choose two layouts. One can be a double and the other can be a single. However, if you want a double and they call you for the single that opens up, declining the single will put you at the bottom of the waitlist, even for the double. So if you want a double, only opt for being on the list for the double layouts. March is still early, but it's better to get on the waitlist now. It's $50 to get on the waitlist and I believe if you call them and tell them that you're mailing the app, they'll put you at the bottom of the list for that day.

I hope all of that makes sense.

Yes, I moved in last weekend but keep in mind that I'm already a student. I was already in old University Housing so I wasn't locked into my lease. That's the reason that I was able to sign up for such an early move-in date. It was just a matter of moving up the street. I would have definitely not signed up for such an early move-in date if I didn't need the place until fall.

Oh I thought you did that last year. I was thinking, effective way to get housing, but big waste of money to pay for 6 months of rent that you dont need.

But what do you mean you werent locked into your lease because you were in old university housing?

Well I was hoping to get into UTH but I guess I didn't. The funny thing is I thought my interviews went much better at UTH than they did at TCOM and I matched at TCOM. I'd love to wait and see if I get in with the rolling admissions but I have to commit to TCOM by the 15th so it looks like I'll be at TCOM.

Too bad I was really impressed with TMC and UTH...

Oh I thought you did that last year. I was thinking, effective way to get housing, but big waste of money to pay for 6 months of rent that you dont need.

But what do you mean you werent locked into your lease because you were in old university housing?

Since I was in old Housing, they allowed me to transfer to new housing even though my lease wasn't up yet.

Well I was hoping to get into UTH but I guess I didn't. The funny thing is I thought my interviews went much better at UTH than they did at TCOM and I matched at TCOM. I'd love to wait and see if I get in with the rolling admissions but I have to commit to TCOM by the 15th so it looks like I'll be at TCOM.

Too bad I was really impressed with TMC and UTH...

don't lose all hope. I was in the same predicament last year. So terribly disappointed for not getting into Houston. I was headed to another school, signed an apartment lease and everything, then I got in off the wait list second week of June! It was my first interview and my last acceptance. 10 months had passed between my interview and acceptance. As has been said (i'm sure at nauseum) you'll be good wherever you go.

Question: what do you mean you have to commit to TCOM? Are you saying that after the 15th you can't accept any other acceptances? I don't think it works that way. Yes, you have to accept your acceptance by a certain date, but if you get off the waitlist at a higher ranked school, so long as you haven't matriculated or started orientation, I believe you can still accept an acceptance at a higher ranked school. That's the reason that you, as a student who already has a Texas acceptance, can't get any offers after June 15. It gives plenty of time for them to make the adjustment if you're accepted elsewhere.

Question: what do you mean you have to commit to TCOM? Are you saying that after the 15th you can't accept any other acceptances? I don't think it works that way. Yes, you have to accept your acceptance by a certain date, but if you get off the waitlist at a higher ranked school, so long as you haven't matriculated or started orientation, I believe you can still accept an acceptance at a higher ranked school. That's the reason that you, as a student who already has a Texas acceptance, can't get any offers after June 15. It gives plenty of time for them to make the adjustment if you're accepted elsewhere.

I'm sure that's what he means. It just sounded dramatic the way it was said.

Is there a way to get on the wait list for housing if you're not physically in the area? Or does anyone know where I'd find information about that?

Is there a way to get on the wait list for housing if you're not physically in the area? Or does anyone know where I'd find information about that?

I'm not physically in the area either, I called 2 weeks ago and they told me to go on their website and download & print the "waiting list" application

You mail that in along with a copy of your acceptance letter and a $50 check. I wish it could all be done online bc it would go so much faster!

don't lose all hope. I was in the same predicament last year. So terribly disappointed for not getting into Houston. I was headed to another school, signed an apartment lease and everything, then I got in off the wait list second week of June! It was my first interview and my last acceptance. 10 months had passed between my interview and acceptance. As has been said (i'm sure at nauseum) you'll be good wherever you go.

I agree. I was also pulled off the waitlist in June 2 years ago. I had also signed a lease on an apartment elsewhere and had resigned myself to attending another school. You just never know when you'll get that email from your first choice school. That said, you can't put everything on hold waiting for an email that may never come. It just sucks that you might have to put down a deposit on an apartment that is non-refundable. Of course, I chose to lose my deposit and attend UTH, which was a great move! My advice is to plan on attending the school you matched but don't commit yourself financially any more than necessary (and keep 'em crossed!)

I'm not physically in the area either, I called 2 weeks ago and they told me to go on their website and download & print the "waiting list" application

You mail that in along with a copy of your acceptance letter and a $50 check. I wish it could all be done online bc it would go so much faster!

Ooh okay, thanks!

Wait, is this it??

http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/WaitingProcedures.pdf

Edit: Nevermind I think I found it

Last edited:

Wow I did not know that. So even though I am signing this agreement at TCOM I can still go to UTH if I get off the waitlist? I was under the impression that once a student commits to another school that they were removed from all lists everywhere else.

Thanks for the info!

Those of you who ended up getting in off the waitlist, did you send a letter or any additional information to Houston after match day?

Wow I did not know that. So even though I am signing this agreement at TCOM I can still go to UTH if I get off the waitlist? I was under the impression that once a student commits to another school that they were removed from all lists everywhere else.

Thanks for the info!

I am in the same boat as you, I have signed my contract and sent it off, but I was also under the impression that you can switch schools (I am waiting on two others, UTH being one of them). Good luck to us!

Those of you who ended up getting in off the waitlist, did you send a letter or any additional information to Houston after match day?

I sent nothing, no communication via e-mail, phone call, etc. between my interview (early August) and the date (early June) that I was accepted off the waitlist.

Anyone know when we need to start applying for loans?

they will send you something in June/July with the loan application info. You can do the FAFSA as soon as you have your tax info though.

I sent nothing, no communication via e-mail, phone call, etc. between my interview (early August) and the date (early June) that I was accepted off the waitlist.

+1. Absolutely nothing. Not sure it makes any difference.

Where would be safer areas for a woman to live alone or with another woman? I'm willing to pay a little more for a safer area, but I'm not wealthy. :p

Thanks!

Where would be safer areas for a woman to live alone or with another woman? I'm willing to pay a little more for a safer area, but I'm not wealthy. :p

Thanks!

most of the places students live are safe. The only places I'd say to avoid are the apartments on Holly Hall, though they're probably fine, too.

Did anyone with a pre-match offer get any correspondence from UTH after the match on Feb 1?? I got my acceptance email Dec 16 and the package about a week later but nothing after the match...

Just want to make sure i'm still on the list of students attending in the fall:)

Did anyone with a pre-match offer get any correspondence from UTH after the match on Feb 1?? I got my acceptance email Dec 16 and the package about a week later but nothing after the match...

Just want to make sure i'm still on the list of students attending in the fall:)

as long as you got your prematch, and the acceptance letter in the mail, youre good... youre still on the list :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.