2010-2011 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Current students, how would you describe your typical day?

On a productive day...

- Wake up at 6:30-7:00
- Study/stream/go to class 8:00-12:00
- Lunch 12:00-1:00
- Most Tuesdays, Neuro lab 1:00-4:00
- Random other days there will be required labs etc in the afternoon for ~1-2 hrs
- Go home, run with my dog, eat dinner, study, watch TV, in bed btw 11:00-12:00.

- I'm not a class-goer, so usually I stay home or go to the med center to study on my own all day. I also go to dinner and do fun things on week nights, and go out at least once a weekend.
- We have had way more free time this semester so far since we're finished with anatomy!
- Schedules vary greatly between individuals and depending how far away block week is.

Members don't see this ad.

A typical day will really depend on what your study habits are like and how close you are to exams.

I'm up at 6, at school by 8, usually home around noon, then spend most of the afternoon with a combination of studying, watching tv, and surfing the internet. Which of those predominates depends on how close exams are. I'm usually in bed at 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
an unproductive day on the other hand....

do you or do you know anyone in your class who doesnt own a car?

I'm sure there's someone, but everyone I know has a car. I really don't know what I'd do without a car, but I've also never had to rely solely on public transportation before. There is the bus system and the rail, so seems like you could go most places, but it might be inefficient/difficult.

And about unproductive days, I am trying not to have too many of those. My lack of sleep last block week has been motivating me to get my work done this block.

Did you guys see the calendar armybound posted a while back?

I'm sure there's someone, but everyone I know has a car. I really don't know what I'd do without a car, but I've also never had to rely solely on public transportation before. There is the bus system and the rail, so seems like you could go most places, but it might be inefficient/difficult.

And about unproductive days, I am trying not to have too many of those. My lack of sleep last block week has been motivating me to get my work done this block.

Did you guys see the calendar armybound posted a while back?

Yea I have lived in houston for the past 12 years, and Ive had a car since day one of being able to. I know it can be a pain getting around in public transportation, but i totaled my car. Ironically, i got a part time job as a personal driver, but i guess as long as I dont total the Jag, im good.

Anyways, I was considering doing away with a car for lets just state environmental issues, but we all know I really mean financial reasons.

Yea I have lived in houston for the past 12 years, and Ive had a car since day one of being able to. I know it can be a pain getting around in public transportation, but i totaled my car. Ironically, i got a part time job as a personal driver, but i guess as long as I dont total the Jag, im good.

Anyways, I was considering doing away with a car for lets just state environmental issues, but we all know I really mean financial reasons.

:cool: :thumbup: Cool job.

Well... after 12 years you definitely know Houston better than I do. If you don't have the money to buy a car and won't by the time school starts, I think you should do a lot of research and planning concerning where you will live, exactly how/when you will get to school, how you'll get to the grocery store, etc. (I'm sure you would do that anyway). But transportation is one of the most important aspects of one's personal life that needs to be as streamlined and efficient as possible during medical school.

Just wanted to welcome everyone to UT-Houston! I am currently a 4th year, waiting on Match Day for us. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Congrats!

Just wanted to welcome everyone to UT-Houston! I am currently a 4th year, waiting on Match Day for us. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Congrats!

Too bad you wont be around for next year, but let us know how the match goes. Good luck

Anyone planning to attend Welcome Weekend? Interesting to meet everyone in relaxed atmosphere.

I'm planning on going to WW it sounds pretty fun. I might skip the Sunday part though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on heading to Welcome Weekend. I need to get another look at Houston. Anyone have any suggestions on which restaurants to choose from the list that they sent out?

which restaurants were they?

They gave us a list of 8, and we have to give them our top 3 choices. This is only for the Friday night dinner.

El Tiempo, Amazon Grill, Ninfa's, Ruby Tequila, Taco Milagro, Café Express, Café Adobe, and Hungry's

I like Hungry's and Ninfas. Cafe Express isn't bad. I've heard Ruby Tequila has these Dos Equis/margarita drinks that are supposed to be really good.

They gave us a list of 8, and we have to give them our top 3 choices. This is only for the Friday night dinner.

El Tiempo, Amazon Grill, Ninfa's, Ruby Tequila, Taco Milagro, Café Express, Café Adobe, and Hungry's

Too Easy...

1) Ninfa's (only if it's the original off of Navigation if not then 2)

2) El Tiempo (if off Washington if not 3)

3) Taco Milagro

But hope for 1 or 2

Ha, I went with the same 3 but in a different order:

1. Taco Milagro ->been there a number of times, outside and relaxed, good food
2. Ninfa's -> never been but have only heard good things
3. El Tiempo -> same as Ninfa's

Ruby Tequila's food isn't fantastic but the Dos Rita's (Dos Equis in a giant margarita) are quite good.

Just wish the welcome weekend didn't cut into the greatest weekend at the rodeo, Zac Brown - Alan Jackson - Brad Paisley

hungrys would be convenient as it is walking distance from gingerman if you want to get drinks later.

I'm so excited for welcome weekend!

For me, I think i'm up for Ninfa's or Ruby Tequila's
Ninfa's has better food but Ruby's has wayyy better Drinks, esp the Dos Rita! Never been to taco milagro or Hungry's

I noticed there was an apartment touring part of WW. Is that too late to be looking at apartments? When should we aim to sign a lease?

Thanks!

I noticed there was an apartment touring part of WW. Is that too late to be looking at apartments? When should we aim to sign a lease?

Thanks!
it's not too late, but it would be a good time to start looking. on welcome weekend the different complexes usually give you a discount.

Are many of y'all staying with a med student while you attend Welcome Weekend?

I definitely will be since I'm struggling for cash. Any super-nice SDN med student wanna let me crash on their couch? :D

The email says 3/18-3/20

Is anyone bringing a guest with them to welcome weekend? I dont wanna be the only one bringing my S.O. :)

Hey guys,

I am missing WW due to a wedding. Should I start worrying about housing now? Can I mail in the form for the waitlist?

How much time did you give yourselves to settle in before orientation?

Hey guys,

I am missing WW due to a wedding. Should I start worrying about housing now? Can I mail in the form for the waitlist?

How much time did you give yourselves to settle in before orientation?

It's good to start looking for housing earlier, and you can usually get better deals that way. But it's not completely necessary. I moved in like 2 weeks before orientation, but most people moved in like a week or less beforehand. We planned lots of socials at The Gingerman/Little Woodrows, so it was fun to meet everybody before class started. Other than that I had nothing to do besides decorate my apt, watch every single episode of Nip/Tuck, lay out at the pool, and work out. Sounds amazing right now but I was pretty bored by the time school started.

Can't comment on the housing waitlist form... I'm sure someone will but MS1's and 2's have exams this week so not sure who all will be on sdn in the next couple days.

You can mail in the form. I'd also be looking at back-up housing plans in case student housing falls through.

I think I moved here several weeks (2-3) before school started. I was also pretty bored by the end of it.

You can mail in the form. I'd also be looking at back-up housing plans in case student housing falls through.

I think I moved here several weeks (2-3) before school started. I was also pretty bored by the end of it.

What are the chances of moving down early and doing research at UT Houston the summer before school starts? I'm trying to find an excuse to quit my current job :rolleyes:

What are the chances of moving down early and doing research at UT Houston the summer before school starts? I'm trying to find an excuse to quit my current job :rolleyes:

It wouldn't hurt if you wanted to send some emails out. First year students tend to look for some research positions over the summer, so I'm sure the researchers are expecting emails. I think being an incoming student shouldn't be too much of a problem.

But if you're thinking of quitting, I'd recommend quitting. I regretted saving my vacation time to get paid out to me when I quit instead of taking the time off. Try to enjoy the summer as much as you can.

I know it's still pretty early as far as this goes, but has anyone heard anything about Financial Aid? I'm wondering if I haven't completed everything that I need. I'm OOS and I'm really hoping to qualify for in-state tuition.

they sent us an email a few weeks ago saying they won't have anything for us any time soon because the state is trying to figure out how much they're budgeting for student grants, loans, scholarships, etc.

I think they usually send them out in May/June anyway.

I have 3 questions that have been brewing in my little head...

1.) should we fill out the fin aid/scholarship app on UTH website? It's weird though bc the deadline says march 15, 2010 for this form..

2.) what is wifi like in the TMC? I just got the iPad 2 yesterday but got only the wifi version. Is there wifi available through all of the TMC?

3.) is there a certain type/color of scrubs students use. I know the dental branch uses green only. I ask bc my job gives us vouchers for $50 worth of scrubs each month which I never use. I want to use my vouchers to get as many scrubs as I can for school

i'd fill it out. It's not going to hurt you if they don't give you anything. Might as well try.

wifi is everywhere. You'll be fine.

for anatomy you can wear any scrubs. I like wearing blue, navy, and black. Some people like burnt orange but I don't think you can wear them third/fourth year.

I am interested in moving down early and doing research this summer as well. (Before you judge me, note that I am not super competitive, I just want something interesting to do and to ease into a new location.) However, I am kind of shy about sending out a bunch of random emails. Is looking up research faculty members and blindly sending out emails telling them you aren't even a med student yet but really want to do research this summer really what you are supposed to do? In addition, what kind of positions might even be available for someone like me who is an MS0?

I am interested in moving down early and doing research this summer as well. (Before you judge me, note that I am not super competitive, I just want something interesting to do and to ease into a new location.) However, I am kind of shy about sending out a bunch of random emails. Is looking up research faculty members and blindly sending out emails telling them you aren't even a med student yet but really want to do research this summer really what you are supposed to do? In addition, what kind of positions might even be available for someone like me who is an MS0?
I'd probably look up research you're interested in, and perhaps do some background research on what they're doing, read up some papers of theirs, etc. Then e-mail them, perhaps say a few specific things about their research and why you're interested in their research specifically. Then don't forget to mention that you want to do it for the knowledge you'll gain and you're not looking to get paid, and how you can be an asset to their research team, and maybe even continue coming in during med school (summers).

did you email Amanda to tell her you were interested? You could email her again to ask if it's going to happen
Yeah, I e-mailed a couple weeks ago and she said she'd add me to the list. Just wanted to make sure no one else heard anything. Don't want to be that guy that keeps bugging her.

any word on the wait list?
anything in particular that we can do to help out our position on it?

any word on the wait list?
anything in particular that we can do to help out our position on it?

Yes, any word? I don't think at this point we can help our position, but I wish they would let those who stand NO chance of getting in know already! I would LIKE to think I stand a great chance, but if I am #400 out of 800 or something, well...I don't think i will get in! AH! Just a whisper or a Hello, we are STILL thinking about you would be nice ay!

Yes, any word? I don't think at this point we can help our position, but I wish they would let those who stand NO chance of getting in know already! I would LIKE to think I stand a great chance, but if I am #400 out of 800 or something, well...I don't think i will get in! AH! Just a whisper or a Hello, we are STILL thinking about you would be nice ay!

I think the waitlist will likely move mid April... If I had to bet... But also, there are probably only like 50-70 people on the waitlist... Haha. Though only 10-15 may get off it.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm on the waitlist at UTH. I'm matched to SA and am planning on going there, but I ranked UTH my #1 for the match. I'm from Houston and my SO is a MS1 at UTMB so being close to her would be nice obviously. Was there a formal letter or email telling those who would be put on the waitlist? Or was everyone who interviewed put on the waitlist following the match? If that's the case does anyone recommend sending an update letter or new recommendation to the school? Thanks.

I think the waitlist will likely move mid April... If I had to bet... But also, there are probably only like 50-70 people on the waitlist... Haha. Though only 10-15 may get off it.

At the official UTH Admissions twitter, they stated that everyone who interviewed at UTH is on their "alternate" list. I am assuming they mean people who ranked UTH higher than their match/those who did not match at all because I believe if you rank a school lower than your match, you are not eligible for waitlist (for obvious reasons).

Here is the quote:

"We do not have a ranked Waitlist, if you interviewed at UTH you are eligible to be accepted during the rolling admission process.
12:50 PM Feb 7th via web"

http://twitter.com/uthadmissions

And from what I've heard, most schools typically get around 30-40 people off of their waitlists up until the day of classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.