2010-2011 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waitlisted here as well. Pretty disappointed. Oh well, more waiting I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait List... interviewed October... this process has taken the meaning of patience overboard lol :)

Another WL here. I got the e-mail at 9:21 EST. I'm really not sure if I want to drag the process out more with the waitlist. Does anyone know how much waitlist movement there is every year?

I just got it as well! I sort of liked the subject : Wait List Offer from Weill Cornell

Good luck to everyone! (btw it was dated 11:13 also, but I just got it)

Waitlisted this morning too. My interviews were kind of weird, but I loved the school. I don't think I'll stay on because I'm pretty committed elsewhere right now, but this makes it easier to say "no" to NYC.

The pattern in past years was acceptances one day, waitlists the next. This year the admissions office seems to be saying they split stuff up into batches. There were no acceptances today, just waitlists. So maybe there will be another day of acceptances coming up followed by more waitlists the day after?

The pattern in past years was acceptances one day, waitlists the next. This year the admissions office seems to be saying they split stuff up into batches. There were no acceptances today, just waitlists. So maybe there will be another day of acceptances coming up followed by more waitlists the day after?

Not sure about the batches of acceptance. From last year's thread, applicants have called and were told to hold tight, as the committee will release more acceptances after review. However, none of them received any acceptances just WL and Rejections.

Nonetheless, this year's pattern is definitely different from the previous years. For one, rejection and WL were usually given out on the same day. I don't think anyone received a rejection yet. Thus, leaves us to wonder ...

Members don't see this ad :)
o rly?

I didn't realize that the Cornell admissions office lied about "more acceptances are coming" in past years.

Yes, I think they "lied" to prevent a mass flood of calls from applicants asking for their admissions decision, since it takes longer to notify WL and Rejected applicants (more people).

o rly?

I didn't realize that the Cornell admissions office lied about "more acceptances are coming" in past years.

i don't know specifically about cornell, but many adcmos do this. harvard, for example. lots of schools say that more decisions are being made and that acceptances will be released when they have been finalized, but all that ever comes after the initial round of acceptances are WLs and rejections.

i don't know specifically about cornell, but many adcmos do this. harvard, for example. lots of schools say that more decisions are being made and that acceptances will be released when they have been finalized, but all that ever comes after the initial round of acceptances are WLs and rejections.

Exactly! It seems there are many of us who still have not received anything. I don't think it is a good sign ... not holding my breath (hoping for a wl at the best)

Exactly! It seems there are many of us who still have not received anything. I don't think it is a good sign ... not holding my breath (hoping for a wl at the best)

same. this is maybe the one school i interviewed that i would be surprised to be outright rejected at. Both of mine went really well (I thought). But as we've seen a hundred times over, sometimes it just doesn't matter. Good luck everyone!

same. this is maybe the one school i interviewed that i would be surprised to be outright rejected at. Both of mine went really well (I thought). But as we've seen a hundred times over, sometimes it just doesn't matter. Good luck everyone!

Same here. I had my "best" interviews here, and my college also utilizes a similar PBL technique to teach molecular biology (thought I was a good fit and thoroughly enjoyed my interview day). My stats are definitely acceptable for Cornell's standards. However, I realized there are too many top-notch interviewees. During my interview, 6 of the 8 interviewees were ivy-leaguers with publications and many crazy activities like starting an orphanage in Africa. So, I understand if a rejection is coming.

Last edited:
waitlisted... :(
got the email at 11:13 east coast
best of luck to everyone else! :luck:

got the email at 12:17 west coast time... :rolleyes:

Ah, there's that wait list email! Marked 3:16 PM EST.

Good luck everybody!!

Waitlisted!

I interviewed September 16th, it was their first batch of interviews of the season. I have waited 6 months for their decision, which is disappointing, to say the least.

Congratulations to all who were accepted, and good luck to everyone waitlisted.

The email was sent at 3:16 EST.

Also, status change as well.

"An admissions decision has been mailed to you. Please contact us if you have not received it within two weeks."

2015 FB group set up...

open group
Weill Cornell Medical College - Class of 2015

Yup, there's definitely an afternoon wave. Phew, I was preparing to be really sad about being rejected from Cornell after missing this morning's WL mass mailing.

Interviewed mid-Jan.

...see, totally called it last night. In reality all these med schools operate the same way. They make vague statements like "throughout the week" to prevent the barrage of anxious applicants flooding the admissions office with phone calls once the first acceptance emails start going out. Their thinking is that you'll know ~3 days anyway from the first acceptance email, so if they can placate you by saying ~a week, you will probably receive your decision before the 7 days are up, and they can also deal with one less nervous applicant over the phone.

Last edited:
Yup, there's definitely an afternoon wave. Phew, I was preparing to be really sad about being rejected from Cornell after missing this morning's WL mass mailing.

Interviewed mid-Jan.

...see, totally called it last night. In reality all these med schools operate the same way. They make vague statements like "throughout the week" to prevent the barrage of anxious applicants flooding the admissions office with phone calls once the first acceptance emails start going out. Their thinking is that you'll know ~3 days anyway from the first acceptance email, so if they can placate you by saying ~a week, you will probably receive your decision before the 7 days are up, and they can also deal with one less nervous applicant over the phone.

Got the WL mail finally also ...

Unsurprisingly WL, will have to decide if I want to drag this dog and pony show out any longer than it already has.

Post-interview rejection email, timestamped 9:30 a.m. today.

Such an odd process... I thought my interviews at Cornell were good, and I've been accepted at schools where I thought they went far worse.

Who is staying on the wait list? I think I am

Waitlisted too. Most likely withdrawing from waitlist. Congrats to accepted students and good luck to those waiting!

Who is staying on the wait list? I think I am

I figure I may as well, although the wait list decision kind of lowered my interest in the school... Good luck to everyone :luck:

I figure I may as well, although the wait list decision kind of lowered my interest in the school... Good luck to everyone :luck:

I completely agree with you but this is my top choice so I will be persistent

Does anybody know approximately how many people are placed on the waitlist here, about how many people get taken off the waitlist and if they offer second interviews like some schools have been known to do for waitlisters?

I'm a first year at Cornell. Last year at revisit weekend we received a list of accepted students. I believe there were approx. 200 people on that list. 200 is in the ballpark anyway. In my class of 101, 50 (maybe plus minus one) were from the waitlist.

Hope those numbers are promising for any waitlisters out there. And to all accepted students: go to revisit!!! It's super super fun. I promise.

I'm a first year at Cornell. Last year at revisit weekend we received a list of accepted students. I believe there were approx. 200 people on that list. 200 is in the ballpark anyway. In my class of 101, 50 (maybe plus minus one) were from the waitlist.

Hope those numbers are promising for any waitlisters out there. And to all accepted students: go to revisit!!! It's super super fun. I promise.

would love to, but airplane fares are ridiculous these days =/

is there a facebook group for the incoming class? =D

Does anyone know how a recommendation letter should be sent to Weill Cornell from my current PI at my lab? Could he just send it to them directly? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.