2018-2019 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are people doing for the Saturday activities during second look? I’m doing Central Park games and lounge night but it looks like there’s nothing in between dinner and lounge night lol

Members don't see this ad.

What are people doing for the Saturday activities during second look? I’m doing Central Park games and lounge night but it looks like there’s nothing in between dinner and lounge night lol

Have you gotten a confirmation about your second look schedule? Or are you just talking about the options you selected when you filled out the form

Have you gotten a confirmation about your second look schedule? Or are you just talking about the options you selected when you filled out the form
I received a phone call confirming my second look schedule!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the housing situation is like for second-look weekend? Do we stay with current students? The information we've gotten so far about that has been kind of vague

Does anyone know what the housing situation is like for second-look weekend? Do we stay with current students? The information we've gotten so far about that has been kind of vague

The student I stayed with during my interview told me they were put them up in a hotel but I could be wrong!

Reactions: 1 user
The student I stayed with during my interview told me they were put them up in a hotel but I could be wrong!
Afaik most of you will be staying either with 1st years or by yourself in a furnished dorm/apt in Olin hall or Lasdon house. There are more people signed up for second look than there are first year students lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Afaik most of you will be staying either with 1st years or by yourself in a furnished dorm/apt in Olin hall or Lasdon house. There are more people signed up for second look than there are first year students lol
How do you have so much information!? I love this and want to be as powerful as you at Cornell lol

How do you have so much information!? I love this and want to be as powerful as you at Cornell lol

Lmao, I procrastinate a lot; we have an exam 9am tmrw lol.

We have a slack channel for announcement/news. That and from frequent emails on what’s happening/updates, to class council S̶p̶a̶m̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ reminding us to sign up to host lol, everyone is generally knowledgeable.

Lmao, I procrastinate a lot; we have an exam 9am tmrw lol.

We have a slack channel for announcement/news. That and from frequent emails on what’s happening/updates, to class council S̶p̶a̶m̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ reminding us to sign up to host lol, everyone is generally knowledgeable.
So do you know if the debt free tuition thing is still happening?

so earlier someone said this year more people than the standard class class size (~109) were accepted? does this mean we can expect less WL movement?
I'm don't work for admissions, so I can only speculate. But typically most schools initially accept more than their class size to begin with since not everyone who gets in matriculates. Save for Harvard at 70%, med schools typically have a 30-40% yield (at least the ones I applied to last cycle did). This is especially true for USnews t25 schools since those who get in prob have more than one acceptance.

What happens if more than ~106 people accept the offer? Cornell jumped up to top 10 in the rankings so I'm sure their yield is gonna be a little higher this year. I can't imagine they are gonna be thrilled about over-enrollment, particularly if the debt-free thing turns out to be real.

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if more than ~106 people accept the offer? Cornell jumped up to top 10 in the rankings so I'm sure their yield is gonna be a little higher this year. I can't imagine they are gonna be thrilled about over-enrollment, particularly if the debt-free thing turns out to be real.

The cycle before mine (or two cycles not sure) I remember reading Umich actually over-enrolled and ended up offering some students full tuition/money to defer enrollment for a year or something of the sort, then under-enrolled the following year. I'd assume that. Our RD score has always been in the top10 but even still, Harvard has the highest yield at 68-70% and UCSF is like 55%...So I sorta feel like thats not gonna happen lol.

Does anyone know how they normally host students? In hotels or with other students?

EDIT: I see that this was answered a few comments up, my bad

Last edited:
One of my faculty interviewers just sent me an email to congratulate my acceptance :')

That was so sweet! I love this school!!

Reactions: 10 users
I see there's a shared kitchen in Olin -- do most 1st years cook often (daily?) and/or are there cheap places to eat around campus? I imagine it adds up fast in the city.

I see there's a shared kitchen in Olin -- do most 1st years cook often (daily?) and/or are there cheap places to eat around campus? I imagine it adds up fast in the city.

Yeah, there's a shared kitchen on every floor of Olin. Each floor sorta has it's own "personality" though lol; most students on my floor do not cook, whereas almost everyone in the 9th floor does. There's "cheap" food around though, but cooking is much cheaper than eating out for every single meal. After first year med student's primarily move to Lasdon-House which is an actual apartment with a kitchen in every unit.

Yeah, there's a shared kitchen on every floor of Olin. Each floor sorta has it's own "personality" though lol; most students on my floor do not cook, whereas almost everyone in the 9th floor does. There's "cheap" food around though, but cooking is much cheaper than eating out for every single meal. After first year med student's primarily move to Lasdon-House which is an actual apartment with a kitchen in every unit.
Any idea of the square footage of a one bedroom in Lasdon-House?

Does anyone know if we’re getting financial aid packages soon / this week?

at this point it feels like theyre waiting until the debt free announcement lol

Anyone hear back about housing arrangements for second look?

Just got my financial aid package a few minutes ago. Does this mean I'm not eligible for the diversity tuition scholarship? :(

Last edited:
Just got my financial aid package a few minutes ago. Doe this mean I'm not eligible for the diversity tuition scholarship? :(
I was told these things go out separately, with the diversity scholarship coming by phone call.
Edit: I received a separate email stating that I'm still being considered for the Div. Scholarship and that FA will be amended later (should be notified by mid april.)
Super generous FA package though

Last edited:
So I guess the debt free tuition was a rumor?

I was told these things go out separately, with the diversity scholarship coming by phone call.
Edit: I received a separate email stating that I'm still being considered for the Div. Scholarship and that FA will be amended later (should be notified by mid april.)
Super generous FA package though
Not that you have to tell me how much you got, but what's a rule of thumb for knowing if you're aid package was generous? I'm seriously clueless. I got an offer from another school for a discount of $20,000 a year and I thought that was generous lol but I'm starting to think it was not

Did folks get a confirmation that their financial aid materials were received?

Not that you have to tell me how much you got, but what's a rule of thumb for knowing if you're aid package was generous? I'm seriously clueless. I got an offer from another school for a discount of $20,000 a year and I thought that was generous lol but I'm starting to think it was not
I’d say just compare it to other offers you have. For me Cornell was very much NOT generous, aka my expected family/personal contribution is for some reason twice as much here as my offer from two of my other schools. And my family def can’t afford it so I would have to increase my loans I think if I end up going here.

I’d say just compare it to other offers you have. For me Cornell was very much NOT generous, aka my expected family/personal contribution is for some reason twice as much here as my offer from two of my other schools. And my family def can’t afford it so I would have to increase my loans I think if I end up going here.
Okay, you can certainly appeal or visit the financial aid office to try to get a better offer.

Hey all, got my financial aid letter yesterday, along with an email saying Im still being considered for the Dean's Diversity Scholarship. But that aside, I'm still surprised I have to take up some federal loans- so...will debt-free still be a thing this year?

Hey all, got my financial aid letter yesterday, along with an email saying Im still being considered for the Dean's Diversity Scholarship. But that aside, I'm still surprised I have to take up some federal loans- so...will debt-free still be a thing this year?
I too was bummed with the high amount of debt I’d have to incur :/

I still have no idea where I’m staying for second look and I get in tomorrow...

I still have no idea where I’m staying for second look and I get in tomorrow...
When they called me to confirm second look, I asked about housing and they said they will tell us Thursday and that we will be staying with current students but I haven’t heard anything since. Gl tho I hope they reach out to u soon lol

Just got my package. Looks like the unit loan of about 29k is still there.

Does anyone know what the dress code is for Second Look? I just double checked the emails about it but it didn't specify (unless I just missed it). Looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

Didn't seem like it to me. Maybe they're announcing it at second look? O:
They're definitely not, I still have $31k of loans in mine. But yes, I suppose they could be announcing a change at any point up until the school year starts

If you want to turn down one of the loans they’re offering, do you have to show proof that you can provide the money you would otherwise take out in loans or no