2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to let you know Cornell doesn’t match any merit aid.
I'm aware! I made the tough decision of withdrawing from the WL today. I stayed for this long because of the potential of getting accepted and receiving some comparable, not necessarily equivalent, financial aid. Earlier I indicated some disapproval about the admissions process, and people took that as me not liking the school or trying to raise trouble. But I genuinely just want the application cycle to be better. Fortunately, from what I'm seeing on r/premed, some others share that sentiment.

Anyways, congrats to everyone who has been accepted and best of luck to those who are still waiting. I hope you receive a decision swiftly. And for those who care, I encourage you to get involved in the admissions process and make some change from within.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
For the waitlist ppl, they said to have FAFSA and/or CSS filled out for quick response on finaid. I only did the fafsa, did anyone also do the CSS profile? Wondering if I need to do that as well
Since I’m superstitious I filled out both but who knows what that does

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'm just surprised and confused by how the waitlist movement started already if they're behind on the waitlist confirmation. I thought in the initial email (when decisions came out) they said they would review all the applicants from the waitlist pool prior to making a decision. So it's a little strange to me the way the WL movement started when a few people on here haven't received a confirmation. that means they didn't consider the entire waitlist pool for the A's sent yesterday?

but also have no clue how this process works
Maybe this will give you some reassurance—not sending a confirmation doesn’t mean they didn’t make note internally that you want to remain on the waitlist. They never gave me any confirmation my cycle either.

And for those of you on the waitlist—the waitlist moves all the way till end of June most years. I didn’t get the call until late June

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those already accepted. Did everyone receive at least some money? Or were some of you just given nothing?

For those already accepted. Did everyone receive at least some money? Or were some of you just given nothing?
There’s definitely people who withdrew immediately after getting all or majority loans.

There’s definitely people who withdrew immediately after getting all or majority loans.

But I thought "debt free" means that there is no base unit loan.

Do you mean that their EFC was so high that they would no doubt have to take out loans? I think that would make more sense.

But I thought "debt free" means that there is no base unit loan.

Do you mean that their EFC was so high that they would no doubt have to take out loans? I think that would make more sense.
can someone explain to me how all this work? What is EFC? I have been trying to figure it out but haven't found anything simple for me to get it.

EFC is expected family contribution. It depends on how much your family makes and your assets.

To put it simply - if you are poor or low-income you have less expected family contribution if your family makes a lot of money, and assets its more expected family contributions.

EFC is expected family contribution. It depends on how much your family makes and your assets.

To put it simply - if you are poor or low-income you have less expected family contribution if your family makes a lot of money, and assets its more expected family contributions.
How will that effect the amount of financial aid and loans you get? Are loans and financial aid different?

Hey guys, did you get an email of your acceptance? and for the call, was it an unknown number

How will that effect the amount of financial aid and loans you get? Are loans and financial aid different?
Debt-free applies to need-based unit loans that you otherwise would have to take out. Say your EFC is $10k, and originally, Cornell would have provided $80k in need-based aid to meet the $90k coa. Within the $80k in need-based aid, $30k would be need-based loans (mix of federal and WCMC loans), and the rest would be $50k in grants. With the debt free initiative, the $30k unit loan that you must take out before Cornell starts giving any grant aid is replaced with grants.

Say your EFC is $50k, and you choose to take out loans to cover that, that’s not considered need-based loans, so you won’t get a grant to replace it. You will be stuck with paying whatever fin aid determines your EFC to be, whether it’s from your family or in loans.

Hope that helps!

To put it simply, they take your family income, your income, and all your assets and throw it into a calculator. Let’s say your EFC come out to 30k for the year.

COA - EFC = grant
So coa for first year is about 85k... 85k-30k= 55k grant. That’s what Cornell would give you, split over two semesters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, did you get an email of your acceptance? and for the call, was it an unknown number
People who hearing from the WL have Been getting calls. It will be an unknown number/no caller ID. Unsure if they got emails before that but my guess is they would at one point after.

People who hearing from the WL have Been getting calls. It will be an unknown number/no caller ID. Unsure if they got emails before that but my guess is they would at one point after.
Ah I see, I ended up getting a call around the same time last night from an unknown number, I guess I’ll find out soon enough

Ah I see, I ended up getting a call around the same time last night from an unknown number, I guess I’ll find out soon enough
I got an email the following day and they also left a voicemail from the unknown number because I did not answer the first time lol

Is it reasonable to assume that the class size is full at the moment and the future movement will be primarily driven by people getting off the waitlist at other schools?

Reactions: 3 users
If I had to make a guess based on previous years, I think there will be another smaller wave at some point to replace the people who didn't accept the initial offers that came this week.

Assuming everyone that committed joined the groupMe. If there were around 70 people and 13 left close to Apr 30 then 11 were added to the FB group, wouldn’t that mean the class is not full yet by around 30 students? The fact that they released decisions before everyone getting a confirmation for their WL position together with the previous thing make me speculate that there might be another similar wave soonish. Maybe?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Assuming everyone that committed joined the groupMe. If there were around 70 people and 13 left close to Apr 30 then 11 were added to the FB group, wouldn’t that mean the class is not full yet by around 30 students? The fact that they released decisions before everyone getting a confirmation for their WL position together with the previous thing make me speculate that there might be another similar wave soonish. Maybe?
I wouldn't count on estimating class size by the amount of people in the GroupMe, since not everyone frequents SDN or Facebook, and that's (I believe) how the info was spread out.

I wouldn't count on estimating class size by the amount of people in the GroupMe, since not everyone frequents SDN or Facebook, and that's (I believe) how the info was spread out.
+1 on this. I found out about the FB group on here actually lol an official email for it was never sent out I don’t believe.

Does someone want to bite the bullet and call tomorrow to see if the class is full? If there's not a wave tomorrow, I'm going to assume class is full and stop checking SDN...

It was nice riding out this long journey with you guys! S/o to this community for making the process a little more bearable. Hopefully, everyone here got into med school and will still be a doctor - wish you guys the best!

Reactions: 3 users
Does someone want to bite the bullet and call tomorrow to see if the class is full? If there's not a wave tomorrow, I'm going to assume class is full and stop checking SDN...

It was nice riding out this long journey with you guys! S/o to this community for making the process a little more bearable. Hopefully, everyone here got into med school and will still be a doctor - wish you guys the best!
Like someone said, it’s unlikely that WL movement stops today, even if the class is currently full. People who have accepted WL spots may very well decline and students currently PTE’d but get off WL at their top choice would also then decline their spots.

someone reported getting off the WL last year as late as June 27.

To accepted students who got financial aid packages, was the EFC that Cornell gave you significantly greater than the EFC calculated by EFC? If so, by how much?

Like someone said, it’s unlikely that WL movement stops today, even if the class is currently full. People who have accepted WL spots may very well decline and students currently PTE’d but get off WL at their top choice would also then decline their spots.

someone reported getting off the WL last year as late as June 27.
Yeah... might be 3-5 students tops unfortunately. I won't be withdrawing, but will definitely stop thinking as much about it haha.

I might send them an email today asking if all the spots are filled with people already committed to enroll. This way if all the people are committed then we know not to have false hope.

I might send them an email today asking if all the spots are filled with people already committed to enroll. This way if all the people are committed then we know not to have false hope.

That would be great!

Edit: ***sorry my reply sent twice, can’t delete for some reason so had to edit this one ***

Pretty sure our current incoming class is not full of people who have CTE'd... there are people still holding out on waitlists and who recently got off the waitlist who need to wait for the financial aid package before committing or withdrawing.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh I thought it was only 5 days to PTE to an additional acceptance?
that's probably AAMC rules? the waitlist offer specifically mentioned the 19th. I'm guessing it means that you can only hold your two acceptances for 5 days as per AAMC, but Cornell technically needs you to respond by the 19th latest

Reactions: 1 users
that's probably AAMC rules? the waitlist offer specifically mentioned the 19th. I'm guessing it means that you can only hold your two acceptances for 5 days as per AAMC, but Cornell technically needs you to respond by the 19th latest
yeah I think that your current PTE school would be able to rescind their acceptance after 5 days you of holding onto another one - so it may be worth looking at your current school's protocol if someone is deciding for more than 5 days

People who've gotten off the waitlist, do you know when we'll be receiving financial aid packages?

I called them on Friday, they said they are aiming for before May 19th.

Did anyone contact admissions to find out if the class is full?

I just checked the fb group— +4 to the Facebook group, +2 to the GroupMe.

So definitely been some movement since that initial big wave (unless these peeps were just late to the fb game)

Haha AIGHT yall, I called them—yes, technically the class is full, but they will keep pulling people off the waitlist all summer as spaces open up!!

Reactions: 7 users
Haha AIGHT yall, I called them—yes, technically the class is full, but they will keep pulling people off the waitlist all summer as spaces open up!!

Are they even in the office though? The dean called accepted students from a private number, which means they are not at the office.

Yeah but do they answer their phones ? It’s hard to get in contact via phone wirh almost any university right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but do they answer their phones ? It’s hard to get in contact via phone wirh almost any university right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you call and leave a message, they call you back (from their home, I’m guessing!!) Pretty quickly, too

Are they even in the office though? The dean called accepted students from a private number, which means they are not at the office.
I got a call from the dean from the office a couple of weeks ago. They pop in sometimes for mail I think she said lol