2010-2011 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how a recommendation letter should be sent to Weill Cornell from my current PI at my lab? Could he just send it to them directly? Thanks!

when i asked, they said...

"Thank you for checking. It is best if letters are uploaded to AMCAS. You can then let us know when they are in the system. The second option would be to have the letters mailed to the office. The address is below.

Best,
Office of Admissions
Weill Cornell Medical College Office of Admissions
445 East 69th Street, 104 Olin Hall
New York, NY 10021"

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Has anyone heard any updates about waitlist movement? Also has Second Look here happened yet? If so, what have people thought of it compared to others they have seen?

Hey, Has anyone heard any updates about waitlist movement? Also has Second Look here happened yet? If so, what have people thought of it compared to others they have seen?

Second look was last weekend. I was very impressed: not only did they try to take very good care of us throughout the course of the re-visit, but I found the current students both awesome and down-to-earth.

Re: waitlists, my guess is that--as with most other schools--Cornell's won't move until May 15. But that's purely speculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I'm applying for the 2011-2012 cycle, and was just curious if anyone here applied Early Decision, and if so, when you heard back from Cornell about their decision? I'm considering ED, however, with the late decision date from Cornell, it could really put you at a strong disadvantage if you are not accepted ED. If anyone could be so kind as to tell me if they applied ED, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks, and congrats to all who have gotten in!

Is it me or is it surprising that nobody is writing on this thread at all? :confused:

Oh and to doctorsox's question, I would not recommend doing the Early Decision route since they normally take 0-2 people out of the class through ED. It honestly does not provide the advantage like it might for elite colleges. If anything, it might be something that would hold you back because 1) you can only apply to other schools AFTER you have received your ED decision if rejected, waitlisted or deferred in October (and most applications should be sent as early as possible aka July and August) and 2) if accepted, it prob means you would get into other elite medical schools as well and though this one might be ideal for you, it would limit your ability to view other medical schools to see which school would be the ideal fit! :D

Is it me or is it surprising that nobody is writing on this thread at all? :confused:

Very surprised, Cornell is still my top choice and I have major :xf: :xf: :xf: for when May 15th rolls around and been checkin this thread every day.

Very surprised, Cornell is still my top choice and I have major :xf: :xf: :xf: for when May 15th rolls around and been checkin this thread every day.
+1 Same! Good to know others are in the same boat. If past years are any indicators, the waitlist should start moving in the next few days. Good luck everyone!

Just got an email from Cornell asking if I wanted to stay on the waitlist... anyone else get a similar one? Is this standard?

Just got an email from Cornell asking if I wanted to stay on the waitlist... anyone else get a similar one? Is this standard?

Not sure if it's standard, but I just received it as well.

Last edited:
Did anyone on the wait list fill out any financial aid forms other than fafsa?

Members don't see this ad :)
My question for those that did receive the email is whether you all originally replied to the wait list offer email?

Yeah, I replied to the waitlist offer as soon as they sent it out to me in March and I got a confirmation email from Cornell shortly after that. This was the first contact since then for me.

Maybe you will get the first offers and they're making sure you'd accept?

Of course, I did not receive said email so an evil, selfish part of me wishes that wasn't true :smuggrin:. I'm secretly hoping they just misplaced your waitlist offer response.

:D ..I wonder if this was a mass email or they are slowly starting to trickle out

:D ..I wonder if this was a mass email or they are slowly starting to trickle out

Dunno, but as I'm starting to think about it, if the true purpose was to feel out who they were considering to accept on the waitlist to see if they truly would accept the offer, then they might not send that email out to those they know would have a high chance of accepting (since that would be redundant). In my case, I just sent them a letter of interest, so they know I'd accept an offer, so maybe that's why they didn't bother sending me one. At least thats what I'm hoping :xf:.

I received that e-mail this morning also. Hopefully we all get good news soon!
:luck::xf:

yeah, i replied to the waitlist offer as soon as they sent it out to me in march and i got a confirmation email from cornell shortly after that. This was the first contact since then for me.

+1

Maybe the emails sent today were only to people who have not sent updates since accepting the WL spot and they wanted to confirm continued interest? I accepted WL offer and sent an update recently and did not get an email today about continued interest... :xf:

Maybe the emails sent today were only to people who have not sent updates since accepting the WL spot and they wanted to confirm continued interest? I accepted WL offer and sent an update recently and did not get an email today about continued interest... :xf:

I received an e-mail today, accepted the WL spot, and confirmed continued interest with a letter about a month ago.

I didn't see anything about this e-mail in last year's thread, so hopefully it's an actual sign of things to come (did someone mention this already? if so, i feel dumb)

I didn't see anything about this e-mail in last year's thread, so hopefully it's an actual sign of things to come (did someone mention this already? if so, i feel dumb)
Hey, so after some scouring of the SDN archives, i.e. clicking on the second hit for a "cornell waitlist" search, I found this in a thread from 2007. Not sure how much validity to attribute this and also, not to freak anyone out, but thought I would share. So maybe good news?

But, if Cornell follows their past procedures, be on the lookout for an email a few days before the 15th, asking you if you are still interested in remaining on their waitlist. Those who received this email and responded positively have been accepted a few days later. (at least, this is what has happened in the past)
:luck: :thumbup:

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. Boy am I not glad I saw that. :(

Hey, so after some scouring of the SDN archives, i.e. clicking on the second hit for a "cornell waitlist" search, I found this in a thread from 2007. Not sure how much validity to attribute this and also, not to freak anyone out, but thought I would share. So maybe good news?

Ahh good work. I fail at lit review.

I received an e-mail today, accepted the WL spot, and confirmed continued interest with a letter about a month ago.

I did the same thing. We'll see what happens next week.
Good luck, everyone! :luck:

Got an e-mail today saying they got my response. Hopefully we hear something soon!

I got an email like that too today (I've previously sent in an update letter back in March) although I didn't receive an email yesterday...hmm? =p

I got an email like that too today (I've previously sent in an update letter back in March) although I didn't receive an email yesterday...hmm? =p

:eek:
I don't usually do this, but: OH SNAP! :thumbup:

Edit: On second thought, I'm not sure if this really is a reason to be excited. Just gonna keep hoping.

Last edited:
:eek:
I don't usually do this, but: OH SNAP! :thumbup:

Edit: On second thought, I'm not sure if this really is a reason to be excited. Just gonna keep hoping.

Yeah, I mean it might be a general email out to anyone who's sent an update - but who knowsssssssss

It just seems strange that you didn't get confirmation earlier. Maybe someone else can comment on this?

I got a confirmation the day I sent an update and again today, a week later. Maybe anyone who sent a late update they didn't bother sending the "are you still interested?" email to since they knew we were still interested?

It just seems strange that you didn't get confirmation earlier. Maybe someone else can comment on this?

I received a confirmation in March after the update letter, sent nothing to the office in the interim, and received that notification today.

Not getting my hopes up, haha. Just wishing for the best.

I sent a LOI in March, got a confirmation. Sent another LOI very recently and received a confirmation email yesterday. Did not get the "are you interested email" yesterday.

I got this email yesterday because I sent an update so they must know I'm still interested:

Greetings!

This is a quick note to let you know that we have received at least one wait list update from you and/or recent confirmation of your status. Thank you for continued interest in Weill Cornell.

Sincerely,
Office of Admissions

Yeah, I got that one too and I also sent in an LOI last week. Looks like Cornell is wrapping up all its loose ends on the application/updates side so they can go ahead with the deliberating... Good luck everyone!

Do you guys think that the people who got the morning batch of waitlist emails on March 9 were on the accept/waitlist borderline and the people who got the afternoon batch on the 9th were on the waitlist/reject borderline? I know they say it's an unranked waitlist, but how many of you who got Tuesday's "are you still interested" email had received your original waitlist emails in the morning? I'll bet these people are going to be in the first batch of acceptances (which based on previous years should be tomorrow) and the rest will have to wait for more withdrawals (especially the afternoon waitlist email + no "are you still interested" combination).

Also, is there anyone who submitted an update or LOI who did not receive Wednesday's "quick note to confirm we have received an update/confirmation of your status" email? It looks like this one is actually nothing to celebrate, since so many people seem to have received it.

Do you guys think that the people who got the morning batch of waitlist emails on March 9 were on the accept/waitlist borderline and the people who got the afternoon batch on the 9th were on the waitlist/reject borderline? I know they say it's an unranked waitlist, but how many of you who got Tuesday's "are you still interested" email had received your original waitlist emails in the morning? I'll bet these people are going to be in the first batch of acceptances (which based on previous years should be tomorrow) and the rest will have to wait for more withdrawals (especially the afternoon waitlist email + no "are you still interested" combination).

Also, is there anyone who submitted an update or LOI who did not receive Wednesday's "quick note to confirm we have received an update/confirmation of your status" email? It looks like this one is actually nothing to celebrate, since so many people seem to have received it.

I got the waitlist e-mail in the morning in March and got the "are you still interested" e-mail on Tuesday. Also, I didn't send an LOI.

Waiting is going to drive me nuts, especially if I don't hear anything back. Gah.

To be honest, I think you're reading way too much into the early waitlist email vs late waitlist email thing. They sent out waitlists in 2 batches. Nothing more to read into besides that.

To be honest, I think you're reading way too much into the early waitlist email vs late waitlist email thing. They sent out waitlists in 2 batches. Nothing more to read into besides that.

You're probably right. I think it's just a natural human response to look for some pattern to hold onto to cope with the uncertainty. Maybe we will hear on Monday. I wish all of you the best of luck.

When do we have to reject all but one offer by? May 16th at 5:00 pm (Monday)? or May 15th at 12:01 am (Sunday)?

Status
Not open for further replies.