2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes! I got a call back this morning (gave me a heart attack cuz I thought I was about to get off the waitlist lol). They said they’re looking through the responses and are sending out confirmations as they go through them. So if you haven’t gotten a confirmation don’t worry right now. This likely means that waitlist movement here won’t happens until maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

Oh nice, that's a relief. Thanks for calling!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Stay hopefully peeps!
FB group was at a steady 170, with a lot of current students (I’d say maybe like 10+ ... more current students were added later on too).

At virtual second look - I never saw I number higher than 75 lol.

Additionally, only around 70 joined the GroupMe posted, and since 4/30, a lot of people have left the group me (around 10+ as well). A lot have been females though, so maybe Cornell might try to keep the ratio and take more females off the WL? lol idk.

can’t wait to meet more future classmates in the next couple weeks :)

thank you for keeping us WL-ers in the loop! it's very kind of you guys to take the extra effort to update us <3

Reactions: 8 users
Honestly, if it doesn’t make financial sense, I’ll probably drop the WL. It would be great to get detailed EFC information from current and accepted students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if it doesn’t make financial sense, I’ll probably drop the WL. It would be great to get detailed EFC information from current and accepted students.
I don’t think anyone has a detailed understanding of how they calculate EFC. It is very much a case by case basis, and the financial aid team is more than willing to sit down on a zoom call and explain every part of it to you.

I personally thought that their package was insanely GENEROUS considering I was expecting to take out 100% loans based on what I was calculating.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought this was a decent estimator, easy and very fast with no questionnaire precursor.

EFC estimator

me before april 30: chillin, livin life, whatever happens will happen
me now: sweating, convinced that they threw out my application just because i didn't realize they wanted a specific format for the file names of update letters

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
me before april 30: chillin, livin life, whatever happens will happen
me now: sweating, convinced that they threw out my application just because i didn't realize they wanted a specific format for the file names of update letters
I wouldn't worry to much about this! Before receiving an II, I sent my update in the wrong format too (completely ignore how they wanted me to save it). If you're really anxious about it (like I was), you can call to confirm it was received and associated w my file lol ... but I'm sure it was :)

Reactions: 4 users
Ahh! Got the call tonight, accepted off the WL!! :"^)

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Also just got a call today evening! Director Smith was adamant it was a real call, haha

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People are getting off WL while I haven’t even gotten confirmation email yet from that WL email..... yikes

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
For people that got off the WL, did you send letters of intent? If so, around when?

Last edited:
So I sent my letter of intent to the admission office and to the associate dean Bardes last week. I got the automatic update confirmation from the admissions office and then also a thank you email from associate dean Bardes. Should I have sent it to Director Smith, or do you guys think it doesn't make a difference?

So I sent my letter of intent to the admission office and to the associate dean Bardes last week. I got the automatic update confirmation from the admissions office and then also a thank you email from associate dean Bardes. Should I have sent it to Director Smith, or do you guys think it doesn't make a difference?

I don’t think it makes a difference since the dean replied in your case. I sent one in March to the admissions email and dean Bardes and didn’t get a reply from dean Bardes at all lol. I’m thinking of sending another one to make sure they got it

I don’t think it makes a difference since the dean replied in your case. I sent one in March to the admissions email and dean Bardes and didn’t get a reply from dean Bardes at all lol. I’m thinking of sending another one to make sure they got it
Dean Bardes legit only said “thank you”, so I’m not reading into it don’t worry at all.
But I think you should call the admissions office to see if they received it because I think they normally take only a few days to give confirmation for updates.
Also - did you send it to [email protected]

Dean Bardes legit only said “thank you”, so I’m not reading into it don’t worry at all.
But I think you should call the admissions office to see if they received it because I think they normally take only a few days to give confirmation for updates.
Also - did you send it to [email protected]

Yea i sent it to the update email and got confirmation, just no word from the dean. I haven’t gotten confirmation yet for my WL interest email though, just worried about that cuz what if they don’t think I’m interested anymore lol

Congrats to those who got the call!

I wonder if there'll be anymore. Starting lose hope...

• Sad
Did you guys get an email confirmation ?
I just called the admissions office yesterday, they left a voicemail today. they said they’re backed up on emails but to hang on tight!

For people that got off the WL, did you send letters of intent? If so, around when?

got the call yday night--i sent in my letter of intent during the second week of april, and had sent a letter of interest earlier in january.

not from NY!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Can confirm a +11 to the FB group in the last 20 hours, 10 females 1 male, likely to make up for our female exodus lol.

Stay hopeful! Still possible people will drop A's as they themselves get WL movement from other schools.... and it's only been one day of movement:)

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Can confirm a +11 to the FB group in the last 20 hours, 10 females 1 male, likely to make up for our female exodus lol.

Stay hopeful! Still possible people will drop A's as they themselves get WL movement from other schools.... and it's only been one day of movement:)
Thank you for your updates. Hopefully there will be some more movement this week! I’m guessing they’re a little backed up since they haven’t processed all of waitlist confirmations.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey! Waitlister here!
WCMC is my dream school, but the waiting game is fraying my nerves...
at what point is it smart just to give it up and move on?

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Hey! Waitlister here!
Last year someone reported getting an offer off the WL on June 27.

Plus, they left a bad taste in my mouth the way they handled released acceptances. I didn't think it was cool or the best way to do it.

Plus, they left a bad taste in my mouth the way they handled released acceptances. I didn't think it was cool or the best way to do it.
What do you mean? I mean, yea, they took look really long, but they did it by the March 15th, which they said they would :/

Reactions: 3 users
I think that's ok for people who don't have another acceptance, but that's too long for me. I will probably be withdrawing soon.

Weill Cornell is a top choice for me. It has a slight edge over my current school. I’m going to stick to the waitlist until the end of May. I feel that waitlist movement is going to continuously be decreasing. I think last night they refilled their class. I could be wrong, but I doubt they call people until 10pm for only a few slots. Of course not all of those people will accept the offers.

Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to put the school down? I'm on the WL too, didn't see an issue with how they handled releasing acceptances. If anything it seems as if you're poorly masking your attempts at rallying sentiment against the school in hopes that other people will drop.

Hey! Waitlister here!
Also a dream school for me but seeing such a large first wave of movement that already seems to replace the people that dropped the A makes me think that further movement will be pretty minimal :cryi::cryi::cryi:

• Haha
What do you mean? I mean, yea, they took look really long, but they did it by the March 15th, which they said they would :/
They rejected people on March 15. They barely answered any questions over the phone. It was very poorly handled. And that wouldn't stop me from attending, but I didn't like it at all. My experience of getting waitlisted/rejected by other schools was much better.

Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to put the school down? I'm on the WL too, didn't see an issue with how they handled releasing acceptances. If anything it seems as if you're poorly masking your attempts at rallying sentiment against the school in hopes that other people will drop.

That may be what other people do, but I'm not like that. The school that I have been accepted to and will most likely attend also could be improved. Their decisions process is fine, but their interview day could be better. I want this grueling process to be improved for all applicants, not based on whether a school accepts me or not.

Also a dream school for me but seeing such a large first wave of movement that already seems to replace the people that dropped the A makes me think that further movement will be pretty minimal :cryi::cryi::cryi:
I have a bit more hope given that Director Smith started making calls late last night. There might be some more movement in the coming days. Also, the fact that not everyone has received a confirmation makes me wonder about how behind they are..

Why complain about how they're handling it, just drop the waitlist if its that big of a deal to you. Sheesh

Reactions: 7 users
That may be what other people do, but I'm not like that. The school that I have been accepted to and will most likely attend also could be improved. Their decisions process is fine, but their interview day could be better. I want this grueling process to be improved for all applicants, not based on whether a school accepts me or not.
You've been pretty adamant with your distaste of this school. I'm not sure why you keep posting on here about "probably" dropping your WL, but never actually doing it. Drop the school and move on?

Reactions: 7 users
They rejected people on March 15. They barely answered any questions over the phone. It was very poorly handled. And that wouldn't stop me from attending, but I didn't like it at all. My experience of getting waitlisted/rejected by other schools was much better.
I understand that it's annoying, but others schools, like HMS, also release all their decisions in one day, including rejections. It sounds a bit like you are putting down the school and administration to soften the blow of the waitlist/not getting the A (yet). Just hang in there, there is still a lot of time left.

I'm just surprised and confused by how the waitlist movement started already if they're behind on the waitlist confirmation. I thought in the initial email (when decisions came out) they said they would review all the applicants from the waitlist pool prior to making a decision. So it's a little strange to me the way the WL movement started when a few people on here haven't received a confirmation. that means they didn't consider the entire waitlist pool for the A's sent yesterday?

but also have no clue how this process works

Why complain about how they're handling it, just drop the waitlist if its that big of a deal to you. Sheesh

Ok I'm gonna leave the thread for now because it seems like things are going in another direction. I will probably drop the WL in a week or two. So whether or not y'all believe it, it really bothered me that some applicants had to wait until March 15 to find out they were rejected. I didn't mind being WL'ed that late, but I think it was pretty bad to have people wait that long for a rejection. That's just me.

It was my top choice for a long time, but I highly doubt it can compete with the financial offer I received at another school. And I also think they're very slow about letting people know what their financial aid package will be.

WCMC is a wonderful school with fantastic resources and if they accepted me in a timely manner and offered me the same financial package I'm getting at another school, I'd go there. That said, their process is not above criticism, but this is not the time or place to do it.

For the waitlist ppl, they said to have FAFSA and/or CSS filled out for quick response on finaid. I only did the fafsa, did anyone also do the CSS profile? Wondering if I need to do that as well

For the waitlist ppl, they said to have FAFSA and/or CSS filled out for quick response on finaid. I only did the fafsa, did anyone also do the CSS profile? Wondering if I need to do that as well

i've also only done the FAFSA, keep procrastinating CSS profile :/ don't want to go through it and then not be accepted, but also would like quicker response on finaid. i believe they are both required

I'm just surprised and confused by how the waitlist movement started already if they're behind on the waitlist confirmation. I thought in the initial email (when decisions came out) they said they would review all the applicants from the waitlist pool prior to making a decision. So it's a little strange to me the way the WL movement started when a few people on here haven't received a confirmation. that means they didn't consider the entire waitlist pool for the A's sent yesterday?

but also have no clue how this process works
They don’t review all for each seat. I bet they have the WL split into categories and review the categories to best replace the candidates that declined admission. Makes sense why it seems mostly women have been admitted so far if mostly women declined.

Ok I'm gonna leave the thread for now because it seems like things are going in another direction. I will probably drop the WL in a week or two. So whether or not y'all believe it, it really bothered me that some applicants had to wait until March 15 to find out they were rejected. I didn't mind being WL'ed that late, but I think it was pretty bad to have people wait that long for a rejection. That's just me.

It was my top choice for a long time, but I highly doubt it can compete with the financial offer I received at another school. And I also think they're very slow about letting people know what their financial aid package will be.

WCMC is a wonderful school with fantastic resources and if they accepted me in a timely manner and offered me the same financial package I'm getting at another school, I'd go there. That said, their process is not above criticism, but this is not the time or place to do it.
Just to let you know Cornell doesn’t match any merit aid.