2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just to clarify (I'm slow dontchaknow): Everyone who has been granted an outright acceptance has now been notified and made aware of their status?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh really?:rolleyes:

Truthfully, yes. It has a lot of the things I like about Mayo, plus the added benefit of being about the same distance to all of my family as Rochester is to Minneapolis. In fact, the campus of my state school that I decided not to attend even has something very similar to selectives after each block, and both campuses have intersessions after each clinical rotation for 3rd year (not even sure if Mayo has that or not, I don't recall). There's lots of other similarities, including the price which is only a few thousand dollars different when you only factor in a half-tuition scholarship at Mayo (not counting any surprise money Mayo wants to give to students like this year). All things considered, I would probably still go to Mayo, but I would have to really make sure that I wasn't doing it just because I have been in love with Mayo for such a long time.

Members don't see this ad :)
So did anyone receive this letter from Carmen yet, or do you all think this will be another one of Mayo's trademark 1:30 a.m. emails? I bet since it will be coming out in mass they will do it later tonight, but then again I have been surprised by Mayo before...

Hey guys,

Thought it wouldn't hurt to call the admissions office yesterday to get some info straight.

I talked to Carmen, who said all of the originally 50 acceptances have gone out and they would be contacting people off the alternate list in March. She also said that she is making an email now with this information.

Hope this helps...

Good luck everyone - I'll be waiting with ya!

Thanks for confirming that saveferris. No call from Mayo:(. Oh well, theres always the waitlist, if i don't get reject that is...

Waitlists are the worst.

I have senioritis and want to imagine where I will be living in a year for some relief of this college town... ITS GETTING OLD.

Plus gotta figure out the whole bf situation who is going to law school.... AHHHHHHHH:eek:

Waitlists are the worst.

I have senioritis and want to imagine where I will be living in a year for some relief of this college town... ITS GETTING OLD.

Plus gotta figure out the whole bf situation who is going to law school.... AHHHHHHHH:eek:

This may not be the best approach, but for me, I just treat a waitlist as a rejection until I hear otherwise. It just makes it easier to deal with for me, thus the one acceptance I am still holding on to is 100% the school I will be at next year. If I happen to hear from Mayo later, then I'll deal with it at that point in time. If not, no worries because I'm not really considering it a possibility (even though there is a small chance).

hmm so did they actually do calls this week? If so, I thought the waitlist would be made shortly after

Hey all-

I just wanted to say that making the waitlist in March (and not right now) makes sense. Some people may still send interest/update letters during February or even withdraw as they hear from other schools that may effect who Mayo puts on the waitlist and who they reject. If Mayo made their waitlist now, they might be rejecting people prematurely (especially since they interview so few people).

PS- I'm on hold, eager to receive an acceptance from Mayo like many of you. :luck:

Hey all-

I just wanted to say that making the waitlist in March (and not right now) makes sense. Some people may still send interest/update letters during February or even withdraw as they hear from other schools that may effect who Mayo puts on the waitlist and who they reject. If Mayo made their waitlist now, they might be rejecting people prematurely (especially since they interview so few people).

PS- I'm on hold, eager to receive an acceptance from Mayo like many of you. :luck:

still, I don't understand the need to "determine" who to put on the waitlist. What do they get out of taking the extra effort to decide who to waitlist and who to reject? Wouldn't it be more practical simply to waitlist everyone who wasn't accepted?

Hey all-

Yeah, you're right. It makes sense that they don't want to cut 50% of us still waiting before seeing what happens in early March with all of the non-rolling schools. I suppose, for the reasons that you list, it really is a good thing for those of us who are unlikely to withdraw from Mayo in the meantime. Waiting does suck though :)

Because the Mayo thread should not be on page 3...

Members don't see this ad :)
Because the Mayo thread should not be on page 3...

Unfortunately, I think that is the way this thread may be going now that the acceptances are finished and the waitlist won't go out until March. :( Even then I don't imagine too much activity, unless a bunch of you accepted people decide to withdraw between now and then. I guess that puts the ball in your court bamtuba, if you want activity on the Mayo thread, you know what to do...:smuggrin:

Did any one out there ever receive that email from Carmen that was supposed to go out last week? I never got one.

Did any one out there ever receive that email from Carmen that was supposed to go out last week? I never got one.

Nope. Not me.

Last edited:
"I guess that puts the ball in your court bamtuba, if you want activity on the Mayo thread, you know what to do..."

Um, use the post-pad option more often?

:D

Last edited:
Um, use the post-pad option more often?

:D

By March it will just be like 100 of these guys +pad+ in a row.

Everyone else, I personally am not very likely to turn this one down, but :luck: and don't give up!

I imagine you're not alone in your resistance to turn down Mayo...:(

I know that a few people will do it, which will give those who actually make the waitlist hope (only to be crushed when we realize in early June that we won't be selected). Oh well, if its meant to be it will happen. Now back to hiding in my office hours, so no one bothers me with their questions :p jk

By March it will just be like 100 of these guys +pad+ in a row.

I imagine you're not alone in your resistance to turn down Mayo...:(

I know that a few people will do it, which will give those who actually make the waitlist hope (only to be crushed when we realize in early June that we won't be selected). Oh well, if its meant to be it will happen. Now back to hiding in my office hours, so no one bothers me with their questions :p jk

Eh, location doesn't matter to me. For some it really does. Enough that people are willing to ignore other obvious positives of the program. Also, I am in a different place in my life than the avg. "straight-from-college" applicant and having been a teacher I knew what I wanted from a program in the actual teaching philosophy. I don't mean to imply that people who turn Mayo down are making a mistake, or that there are not better options for other people, but that for me there is no good reason that I would turn it down.

I think that WL will move just fine come May/June.

Now I get to go back to hiding. Not kidding. :D

Eh, location doesn't matter to me. For some it really does. Enough that people are willing to ignore other obvious positives of the program. Also, I am in a different place in my life than the avg. "straight-from-college" applicant and having been a teacher I knew what I wanted from a program in the actual teaching philosophy. I don't mean to imply that people who turn Mayo down are making a mistake, or that there are not better options for other people, but that for me there is no good reason that I would turn it down.

I think that WL will move just fine come May/June.

Now I get to go back to hiding. Not kidding. :D

From what I've learned about you here and the short time on the interview day, Mayo seems like a great fit for you, so I know you won't be withdrawing.

Since you mention location, I must say I find this aspect of Mayo to be confusing to me personally. Most people seem to look at it as a negative (i.e. small city, cold winters, etc.), but I always considered it to be a positive. I love the city and would love to experience a cold winter. The other thing I really like about the location is the lack of an undergraduate campus. I've never really been the normal "college kid." I don't go out partying or drinking or whatever. I prefer a quiet night in with friends just chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool. So while some consider the location a sacrifice, I really don't (except for the distance from my family).

I was thinking that if Phoenix received accurate information (and she normally does!) that this cycle was extra competitive, then that means that most of the people currently holding Mayo acceptances are probably also holding numerous other acceptances to great schools (such as Jolt21, I still can't get over that accepted list). Since people can only matriculate to one school, in the coming months those people will have to decide where. Now maybe, just maybe, that means there will be more movement on the waitlist this year than in years past. Only time will tell...:xf:

Last edited:
Anyone know historically how many people get off the wait list? I am currently on hold at Mayo and I am drafting my update letter. Anyone have any suggestions? Currently my letter consists up talking about my fall semester grades, recent progress in my research, and some of my community service activities.

I just got rejected today from a couple schools near the top of my list but accepted to a couple of schools near the bottom. I guess it has put me into a kind of an awkward mood. Interviewing at Mayo towards the start of my interview season really set the bar for all my other schools. I guess I had so many high expectations, and getting acceptances to a couple of the ones near the bottom just didn't feel as good as I had hoped.

On a happier note, this Mayo thread has been great! All of your enthusiasm and energy for the school definitely makes it all the more attractive. I am still hopeful that I'll get that last minute phone call later in the season.

:luck: Good luck to everyone and congrats to all those accepted!

Anyone know historically how many people get off the wait list? I am currently on hold at Mayo and I am drafting my update letter. Anyone have any suggestions? Currently my letter consists up talking about my fall semester grades, recent progress in my research, and some of my community service activities.

I just got rejected today from a couple schools near the top of my list but accepted to a couple of schools near the bottom. I guess it has put me into a kind of an awkward mood. Interviewing at Mayo towards the start of my interview season really set the bar for all my other schools. I guess I had so many high expectations, and getting acceptances to a couple of the ones near the bottom just didn't feel as good as I had hoped.

On a happier note, this Mayo thread has been great! All of your enthusiasm and energy for the school definitely makes it all the more attractive. I am still hopeful that I'll get that last minute phone call later in the season.

:luck: Good luck to everyone and congrats to all those accepted!

I think maybe some current students may have a better idea of how many people got in off of the waitlist last year. I seem to recall some one saying total acceptances reaching around 70ish, so since we're at ~50 now that would mean 20 from the waitlist. That seems too high to me, but really doesn't matter now for a couple reasons. First and foremost, each of us can only get one acceptance to Mayo off of the waitlist, so that's all that matters to us as individuals (even though those like me want to see everyone get an acceptance). Second, the waitlist hasn't even been generated yet, so before we can think about our chances of getting accepted off of it we have to actually get on it. I think ~100 are supposed to make the waitlist, which means about 100 will be rejected.

Your update seems to be on the right track. I don't think they usually consist of really exciting update news, but just sort of letting them know that you've been staying busy since the interview.

You should be super excited about ANY acceptance! You're gunna be a doctor! That's great, and you should celebrate it. Regardless of which school you go to, you're going to have the same MD degree. Just because you go to one school over another won't make you a better doctor, that falls back on you. Remember, the suit doesn't make the man, and the school doesn't make the doctor. With all that said, I know how it feels to be in love a school and not have the feelings returned. It hurts, but you just have to realize their are plenty of fish in the med school sea, and they're all basically the same.

lol irkoehle..you're truely in love haha

I think maybe some current students may have a better idea of how many people got in off of the waitlist last year. I seem to recall some one saying total acceptances reaching around 70ish, so since we're at ~50 now that would mean 20 from the waitlist. That seems too high to me, but really doesn't matter now for a couple reasons. First and foremost, each of us can only get one acceptance to Mayo off of the waitlist, so that's all that matters to us as individuals (even though those like me want to see everyone get an acceptance). Second, the waitlist hasn't even been generated yet, so before we can think about our chances of getting accepted off of it we have to actually get on it. I think ~100 are supposed to make the waitlist, which means about 100 will be rejected.

Your update seems to be on the right track. I don't think they usually consist of really exciting update news, but just sort of letting them know that you've been staying busy since the interview.

You should be super excited about ANY acceptance! You're gunna be a doctor! That's great, and you should celebrate it. Regardless of which school you go to, you're going to have the same MD degree. Just because you go to one school over another won't make you a better doctor, that falls back on you. Remember, the suit doesn't make the man, and the school doesn't make the doctor. With all that said, I know how it feels to be in love a school and not have the feelings returned. It hurts, but you just have to realize their are plenty of fish in the med school sea, and they're all basically the same.

lol irkoehle..you're truely in love haha

:love: What can I say? When its love, you just know it...Nah, I'm more like that creepy stalker guy who leaves love letters on your nightstand while you sleep for you to find when you wake up...

okay, so i JUST received an update letter reiterating that I'm on hold at Mayo. waitlist and rejection will come out on March 1st.

:love: What can I say? When its love, you just know it...Nah, I'm more like that creepy stalker guy who leaves love letters on your nightstand while you sleep for you to find when you wake up...

Um, this is a little too much info in a creepy sort of way...

:)

okay, so i JUST received an update letter reiterating that I'm on hold at Mayo. waitlist and rejection will come out on March 1st.

Just got the same email. Still. On. Hold. Bummer.

I got it too. Looks like this was the email described last week or whenever. I guess the one good thing to take from it is that the waitlist is supposed to come out BY March 1st. I thought we would get stuck waiting until mid-March. I hope they can make decisions quick and get it out around mid-February. That would really be nice. If I'm gunna be rejected, no need to wait until March to find out.

Um, this is a little too much info in a creepy sort of way...

:)

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I thought you, sir, were married. Now are you telling me that this was not the approach you used to capture...er, get your wife to marry you? :confused:

Anyone know when the MD-PhD types will be done interviewing?

There have been two interview weekends so far, 1/8 and 1/22. Mayo is holding four MSTP interview weekends in total, spaced two weeks apart, so they will be done interviewing MD-PhD types by the end of February.

In other news, the MSTP committee met this Tuesday (2/2) to decide on the first offers of admission for MD-PhD students. They told us that they'd be making 2 or 3 offers this week, with accepted applicants notified by phone. And yes, I have been carrying my cell phone around 24-7 all week. No happy news yet (and at this point, I'm guessing that the calls have already gone out...).

Got that email too. Does anyone know if the waitlist specifies our position, am I #5 in line or #55?

There have been two interview weekends so far, 1/8 and 1/22. Mayo is holding four MSTP interview weekends in total, spaced two weeks apart, so they will be done interviewing MD-PhD types by the end of February.

In other news, the MSTP committee met this Tuesday (2/2) to decide on the first offers of admission for MD-PhD students. They told us that they'd be making 2 or 3 offers this week, with accepted applicants notified by phone. And yes, I have been carrying my cell phone around 24-7 all week. No happy news yet (and at this point, I'm guessing that the calls have already gone out...).

Well thank you and good luck!

Got that email too. Does anyone know if the waitlist specifies our position, am I #5 in line or #55?

It is an unranked waitlist. This plays into Mayo's desire to have a diverse class. If one type of person withdraws, I am under the impression that they try to fill that person's spot with a similar person.

Well guys, I got some news today regarding my status:

"At this point you are among the top alternate candidates on our list for the M.D.-Ph.D. program. Based on previous years, there is a very good chance that you could be offered a position over the next couple of months."

Sounds promising. I'll keep those fingers crossed a while longer yet. :)

it would make my day to read an email like that! congrats SunnyBlues : )

So apparently rumors here that they admitted 55 is false. They only gave out 48 appointments according to Marcy. So they just gave out 6 extra appointments. Methinks this is uncharacteristically low. Perhaps, they feared people wouldn't withdraw their acceptance there because of the bad economy?

So apparently rumors here that they admitted 55 is false. They only gave out 48 appointments according to Marcy. So they just gave out 6 extra appointments. Methinks this is uncharacteristically low. Perhaps, they feared people wouldn't withdraw their acceptance there because of the bad economy?

Wait, marcy is back...? I emailed carmen earlier this week and never heard back... maybe that's why

That seems freakishly low. I doubt hardly any other schools over accept by ONLY SIX people. I know its Mayo, but still, 6 people withdrawing doesn't seem unlikely at all. In years past they had what 55 outright acceptances, and they STILL had to go to the waitlist? That's crazy to think about. I hope this means more waitlist movement this year than in the past.

I can't imagine the bad economy affecting waitlist movement. Most premeds probably haven't been directly affected by it since a lot of us have been in school. Plus, by the time we finish with our training the economy should be doing fine. Even if the economy was affecting people's decision, a lot of other schools provide generous financial aid, perhaps even more money than Mayo's 50% tuition waiver.

That seems freakishly low. I doubt hardly any other schools over accept by ONLY SIX people. I know its Mayo, but still, 6 people withdrawing doesn't seem unlikely at all. In years past they had what 55 outright acceptances, and they STILL had to go to the waitlist? That's crazy to think about. I hope this means more waitlist movement this year than in the past.

I can't imagine the bad economy affecting waitlist movement. Most premeds probably haven't been directly affected by it since a lot of us have been in school. Plus, by the time we finish with our training the economy should be doing fine. Even if the economy was affecting people's decision, a lot of other schools provide generous financial aid, perhaps even more money than Mayo's 50% tuition waiver.

Well that is what she told me so I will take it as the truth. Unless you're a superstar applicant, I'd assume that Mayo's 50% tuition waiver and additional need-based aid will draw a lot more people to it. With the severely battered economy,I'm sure most schools are not gonna throw money to you like in previous years unless they really want you. At Mayo it is different because you automatically get it once you're admitted. I still expect some waitlist movement.
:luck: to you all

Well that is what she told me so I will take it as the truth. Unless you're a superstar applicant, I'd assume that Mayo's 50% tuition waiver and additional need-based aid will draw a lot more people to it. With the severely battered economy,I'm sure most schools are not gonna throw money to you like in previous years unless they really want you. At Mayo it is different because you automatically get it once you're admitted. I still expect some waitlist movement.
:luck: to you all

You can count on some waitlist movement. Not from me, but that's all I got to say.

:luck: everyone!

What are the third and fourth year rotations like? What are the cases like (zebra v. horse), what is the role of the med student on the team, what are the hours like, and what are the available electives (I am interested in Rad Onc and Heme-Onc)?

I don't have any firsthand experience, so I might be wrong, but those electives are available and are generally taken during the fourth year. You'll see lots of "bread and butter" and zebras alike.

Are all rotations (besides away at AZ of FL) at Methodist or St. Mary's, or are there off-campus sites, perhaps for family med?

You can go off campus if you want. I'm not sure if they limit the number or anything but you can definitely do this during 4th year. I'm not sure about third year if it's not at MCA/MCF. If you want, most/all of them can be in Rochester. I believe family med is on campus, but I imagine you could do one in the Mayo Health System in a more rural location nearby if you wanted.

How are students evaluated in 3rd and 4th years?

H/HP/P/F I believe.

During any of the four years, do students take classes with the graduate school? Is this possible/practical? What are the quality of these courses?

Nope. We share a couple anatomy lab sessions with PT students and teach each other various things, but it is not a joint class. We aren't even on the same system (blocks, not semesters).

What is the role of the med students in the clinics 1st and 2nd years? How often are they there?

I'm still a first year, but they do a decent job of giving us exposure to patients through selectives, disruptions in development and basic doctoring (the latter being longitudinal programs). I hear they do a better job of this during second year, but you might be better off asking a second year.

Has anyone sought out basic science research, as opposed to clinical application (as is Mayo's specialty)?

I haven't yet, but it is available. We get a fair amount of NIH and internal funding for various research projects in both clinical and basic science (~$500M/year)

How does health insurance work with financial aid? When people say they are paying 5k a year (as most of the class has similar financial aid), does this include health insurance?

You are allowed to enroll in Mayo's health insurance plan as a medical student. Rates are pretty reasonable from what I hear, but that is in addition to tuition.

What type of international work do students do, and can this come out of the 5K travel budget?

Anything you want. There are organized trips through MMS but you can go with other organizations as well. In order for it to qualify for the $5k travel budget, you must provide direct medical care (i.e. not shadowing). You get $1200 for an international trip and $600 for a domestic trip.

This was brief so feel free to PM me for more detail...

Wow, thanks DrDeMan and PremedIowa! $28/month for health insurance is crazy!

+pad+

I warned you.

:smuggrin:

Good to see activity on this thread, four days is too long. I guess any activity is better than no activity...

Only about a week and a half until waitlist decisions are released!

Waitlists are annoying. But they're even more annoying when everyone who gets into School A takes School A over other schools.

Like Mayo ;)

I apparently deleted the email from Mayo about the alternate list. It is supposed to come out by March 1st, right? That's only a week away now...any one think it might come out early???

I apparently deleted the email from Mayo about the alternate list. It is supposed to come out by March 1st, right? That's only a week away now...any one think it might come out early???

Dear Mayo Medical School applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School. Your application is currently in a hold status.

At this point, the Admissions Committee has ranked all applicants and is continuing to review applications to determine an alternate list for the incoming class of 2010. An alternate list will be formed by March 1, 2010. Invitations to be placed on the alternate list will be sent via e-mail. Rejection notices will also be sent via e-mail by March 1, 2010.

We appreciate your patience during this entire admissions process, and we will continue to update you as soon as there is any information to provide. If you have any updates you would like to provide to the committee, feel free to send these items to [email protected]. If you have made any changes to your contact information, please update those things directly with AMCAS.
Sincerely,
Mayo Medical School Admissions

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Dear Mayo Medical School applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School. Your application is currently in a hold status.

At this point, the Admissions Committee has ranked all applicants and is continuing to review applications to determine an alternate list for the incoming class of 2010. An alternate list will be formed by March 1, 2010. Invitations to be placed on the alternate list will be sent via e-mail. Rejection notices will also be sent via e-mail by March 1, 2010.

We appreciate your patience during this entire admissions process, and we will continue to update you as soon as there is any information to provide. If you have any updates you would like to provide to the committee, feel free to send these items to [email protected]. If you have made any changes to your contact information, please update those things directly with AMCAS.
Sincerely,
Mayo Medical School Admissions

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thanks. I don't know how or why that email got deleted.

I'm excited for the 1st of March to see if my application will finally get some movement at Mayo or finally be put in the trash. Almost half a year post-interview and like four and a half months post-hold, I am just ready for something, anything to happen for me at Mayo...:xf::luck::xf::luck:

I'm excited for the 1st of March to see if my application will finally get some movement at Mayo or finally be put in the trash. Almost half a year post-interview and like four and a half months post-hold, I am just ready for something, anything to happen for me at Mayo...:xf::luck::xf::luck:

I'll second that. Though I'll say I don't expect very much waitlist movement if at all. If you're smart and talented enough to get into Mayo then I think you realize what a deal you've got:)

I'll second that. Though I'll say I don't expect very much waitlist movement if at all. If you're smart and talented enough to get into Mayo then I think you realize what a deal you've got:)

i dont know about that..i think there will be waitlist movement especially if they under-accepted this year (someone said around ~48 people which seems kind of low)...i think there are many people who would give up mayo and rochester, MN for higher ranked schools like harvard/hopkins or better location..many of the ivy's are non-rolling and many people will be hearing from those schools in a couple of more weeks so i do expect there to be waitlist movement in april/may but maybe not much as compared to other schools due to mayo's small class-size

Status
Not open for further replies.