2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone on the waitlist heard anything from Mayo lately? I'm trying to be optimistic but the list is sooo huge, especially compared to the class size...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone on the waitlist heard anything from Mayo lately? I'm trying to be optimistic but the list is sooo huge, especially compared to the class size...

for some reason I feel like there will be a lot of waitlist movement. There are only 100 of us on the waitlist. Since they only accepted 48 students this year, as opposed to the normal 72.. I'd expect that an extra 24 students for sure will come off that list. And then of course there will be a few more to fill it all up.. so that's like 25-30% !

With financial aid packages being released all over the country in the next couple weeks, the waitlist movement should be going crazy for all schools. I hope everyone is able to sit back and stay sane throughout the process. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
for some reason I feel like there will be a lot of waitlist movement. There are only 100 of us on the waitlist. Since they only accepted 48 students this year, as opposed to the normal 72.. I'd expect that an extra 24 students for sure will come off that list. And then of course there will be a few more to fill it all up.. so that's like 25-30% !

They accept only 34 MD students. It's hard to believe that the class will comprise of 25-30 students from the alt list. I hope you're right though.

If we are to hear anything, is it safe to assume that it won't happen until after May 15th?

They accept only 34 MD students. It's hard to believe that the class will comprise of 25-30 students from the alt list. I hope you're right though.

If we are to hear anything, is it safe to assume that it won't happen until after May 15th?

Not true. Their final class is 50 total: 42 MD only, 6 MD/PhD, 2 Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery.

Not true. Their final class is 50 total: 42 MD only, 6 MD/PhD, 2 Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery.

Well, I hope you're right too. I just checked some of the information they gave during the interview day, and there's conflicting information. One booklet says they accept 42 for the class (34 MD), and another booklet says they accept a class of 50.

I'm going with 50, so I can be a little more optimistic.

50 total. 42 reg MD, 6 MD/PhD, 2 OMS. In my class, we ended up only having 49, with 5 MD/PhD's. Mayo expanded the class for the past 2 years from 42 --> 50.

50 total. 42 reg MD, 6 MD/PhD, 2 OMS. In my class, we ended up only having 49, with 5 MD/PhD's. Mayo expanded the class for the past 2 years from 42 --> 50.

That would explain it. Thanks!

And didn't update their interview day material.

:mad:

:)

anyone know why Mayo Medical School went unranked this year in the US News rankings? :(

sad my parents put a lot of emphasis on that crap and was hoping it would improve this year

Even though their class consists of only 50 students, I remember someone saying that in the past they've initially accepted 72 students, anticipating many of them declining the offer. If i remember correctly, the people on this thread were a little surprised that they only accepted 48 MDs this year, a mere 6 more than their target number.

anyone know why Mayo Medical School went unranked this year in the US News rankings? :(

sad my parents put a lot of emphasis on that crap and was hoping it would improve this year

According to the US News' key at the bottom of each page of rankings, "Unranked: the school did not supply enough information to U.S. News to calculate a ranking. Schools without a numeric ranking are listed alphabetically with those schools supplying enough information to calculate a ranking coming before those schools that did not." So I guess, Mayo didn't give US News all of the information that they wanted.

According to the US News' key at the bottom of each page of rankings, "Unranked: the school did not supply enough information to U.S. News to calculate a ranking. Schools without a numeric ranking are listed alphabetically with those schools supplying enough information to calculate a ranking coming before those schools that did not." So I guess, Mayo didn't give US News all of the information that they wanted.

yeah but I wonder why..i doubt Mayo is trying to boycott US News rankings because they do get a lot of love from them for the Best Hospital rankings..i wonder if they knew they'd drop in ranking so decided not to provide any info and go unranked instead...not that it matters just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah but I wonder why..i doubt Mayo is trying to boycott US News rankings because they do get a lot of love from them for the Best Hospital rankings..i wonder if they knew they'd drop in ranking so decided not to provide any info and go unranked instead...not that it matters just curious

Tell your parents that those bogus ranking are based on endowments, not prestige or quality of education. Also, remember that this is your decision, not theirs. Mayo has a great name, and it will give a great education. Even if their ranking went down, theoretically, it wouldn't affect us - they give us all money, and I think that speaks to endowment strength better than a ranking at a school like Harvard, where the students get nada in merit aid. Just my two cents.

As a student at Mayo, I have no inside info about the strange new US news rankings, but a school's endowment doesn't really factor into the rankings (Mayo's is pretty big). The rankings are more a measure of peer/residency director reviews, GPA/MCAT scores and NIH funding, which is around $250-260 million. The score doesn't include internal funding, which is around $220 million, giving us a total research budget of about $520 million (counting private & commercial sources).

Though I don't put much thought into the US News rankings, some people do and for that reason it seems puzzling that MMS would not participate this year... can't really see how it would be beneficial unless we would have dropped significantly, which seems unlikely. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything...

It looks like a ton of schools did not submit enough info to be ranked, including Mayo. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The research rankings (the ones most people look at) give schools a really nasty incentive to look for med students who are going to work in their labs, get them grants, and raise their NIH funding rather than focus on becoming good clinicians. Although Mayo has a research requirement, that clearly was not the focus of their program (like some other schools...), and I'd really admire them if they took themselves out of the rankings to reflect that.

As a student at Mayo, I have no inside info about the strange new US news rankings, but a school's endowment doesn't really factor into the rankings (Mayo's is pretty big). The rankings are more a measure of peer/residency director reviews, GPA/MCAT scores and NIH funding, which is around $250-260 million. The score doesn't include internal funding, which is around $220 million, giving us a total research budget of about $520 million (counting private & commercial sources).

Though I don't put much thought into the US News rankings, some people do and for that reason it seems puzzling that MMS would not participate this year... can't really see how it would be beneficial unless we would have dropped significantly, which seems unlikely. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything...

I bet the forms are sitting under someone's coffee cup...

:smuggrin:

The medical school administration elected not to participate in the USNWR rankings a few years ago and we were only just removed from the list this year. We felt that the rankings system was exceptionally flawed, placing heaving emphasis on federal research funding that almost entirely depends on the size of a university rather than on its educational merits. For example, USNWR calculates funding by adding up undergraduate and medical school research dollars and thus penalizes schools like MMS. In addition, the general feeling among the medical school admin is that the rankings are used as tools to sell magazines rather than as a tool to help students make strong decisions about which school to attend. They do realize this same criticism would apply to the hospital rankings. The uppers levels of Mayo Clinic's leadership agreed with this and supports the medical school in this decision. It certainly was not a decision made to preempt some foreseen drop in rankings.

A school should be judged on its merits rather than having a quantitative number applied to it that is drawn from data that has nothing to do with medical education. Come here and see what we have to offer: unmatched medical facilities, strong scholarships, consistent administration support, a prestigious faculty, enormous research opportunities, and a small, down to earth class that will support you every step of the way.

That is the kind of thing a proper ranking would be based on.

The medical school administration elected not to participate in the USNWR rankings a few years ago and we were only just removed from the list this year. We felt that the rankings system was exceptionally flawed, placing heaving emphasis on federal research funding that almost entirely depends on the size of a university rather than on its educational merits. For example, USNWR calculates funding by adding up undergraduate and medical school research dollars and thus penalizes schools like MMS. In addition, the general feeling among the medical school admin is that the rankings are used as tools to sell magazines rather than as a tool to help students make strong decisions about which school to attend. They do realize this same criticism would apply to the hospital rankings. The uppers levels of Mayo Clinic's leadership agreed with this and supports the medical school in this decision. It certainly was not a decision made to preempt some foreseen drop in rankings.

A school should be judged on its merits rather than having a quantitative number applied to it that is drawn from data that has nothing to do with medical education. Come here and see what we have to offer: unmatched medical facilities, strong scholarships, consistent administration support, a prestigious faculty, enormous research opportunities, and a small, down to earth class that will support you every step of the way.

:thumbup:

I don't think anyone who has actually been to Mayo for an interview day would question the quality of the program.

Thanks for getting this information!

To play the devil's advocate, if Mayo was ranked in the top ten, do you believe they would have dropped out? The admins likely believe the rankings are flawed because we were not ranked in the top ten (or twenty) in recent years. If the rankings were based on student debt, class size or faculty to student ratio (more than it is currently), we would be ranked higher and we would likely still participate in the rankings. Are those measures of educational quality? Possibly more than NIH funding, but less than an exhaustive review of the curricula of various schools.

US News may not have the most objective way of measuring a school's educational quality, but they are open about their methodology and many people use it to see where schools stand. I do agree that they rank schools to sell newspapers. Even so, some individuals use it to get a list of schools to research (without paying for the MSAR). I personally used it to look up post-interview acceptance rates for various schools (something the MSAR lacks).

While many applicants (and med students) agree that the rankings are flawed, I don't see how being unranked to prove a point will in any way have a positive effect on the school.

** Disclaimer: I haven't talked to the administration so the information about the administration is purely conjecture -- PremedIowa actually talked to them **

Does mayo drug test its students?

The drug test students AND applicants, why do you think I didn't make the alternate list? Seriously though, would it matter if they did? Theoretically if you are responsible enough to be a doctor, you would realize how irresponsible illegal drug use is and it wouldn't matter. I would be surprise if this was a real question...

The drug test students AND applicants, why do you think I didn't make the alternate list? Seriously though, would it matter if they did? Theoretically if you are responsible enough to be a doctor, you would realize how irresponsible illegal drug use is and it wouldn't matter. I would be surprise if this was a real question...

:thumbup:

Mayo does not drug test, or at least hasn't in the past.

It's a valid concern; I don't and never have used any drugs but I like it that my school doesn't feel the need to do it.

Mayo does not drug test, or at least hasn't in the past.

It's a valid concern; I don't and never have used any drugs but I like it that my school doesn't feel the need to do it.

thank you for your honest response

I would be careful, even with making new accounts, of posting such questions in multiple threads. It isn't too difficult to figure things out if someone really wanted, especially if a school had a list of where applicants were holding acceptances.

As far as the topic, in general terms you don't have to worry so much that a school does or does not drug test, but that they might decide to at some point in the future. Or worse yet that the activity itself may affect your future career and ability to better serve patients, whether through the drug use itself OR the consequences of "getting caught."

It is not my intention to judge you here, but do what you can to make sure this never becomes something you need to worry about.

Last edited:
I would be careful, even with making new accounts, of posting such questions in multiple threads. It isn't too difficult to figure things out if someone really wanted, especially if a school had a list of where applicants were holding acceptances.

As far as the topic, in general terms you don't have to worry so much that a school does or does not drug test, but that they might decide to at some point in the future. Or worse yet that the activity itself may affect your future career and ability to better serve patients, whether through the drug use itself OR the consequences of "getting caught."

It is not my intention to judge you here, but do what you can to make sure this never becomes something you need to worry about.

batumba,

thanks for your concern. I dont think schools would do that anyways and even if they did, there is nothing wrong with asking these questions.

best of luck to you!

batumba,

thanks for your concern. I dont think schools would do that anyways and even if they did, there is nothing wrong with asking these questions.

best of luck to you!

You are right, there is nothing wrong with anyone asking such questions, and I would agree that this is the place to do it.

Also, I don't know if it is intentional or not, but I've been told batumba is actually my tribal name ;)

:luck: with your school decision.

You are right, there is nothing wrong with anyone asking such questions, and I would agree that this is the place to do it.

Also, I don't know if it is intentional or not, but I've been told batumba is actually my tribal name ;)

:luck: with your school decision.

you too

maybe ill meet you next fall!

so i'm currently on the alternate list trying to make plans for next year if i don't get in. for current students who have knowledge of how the process has worked in the past, does the adcom have to meet after every decline to decide who gets in off the wait list? how long does this process usually take? is it safe to sign a lease if i don't hear anything by, say, may 17th?

and for matriculants currently holding multiple acceptances including mayo: kudos to you, you're a badass, please make a decision soon, the rest of us are waiting anxiously on you :)

thanks!

Hey all, so I was on the waitlist and just got the call last Friday! I'm really excited for the opportunity. Can anyone invite me to the Facebook group? Thanks!

Hey all, so I was on the waitlist and just got the call last Friday! I'm really excited for the opportunity. Can anyone invite me to the Facebook group? Thanks!

Congrats on the acceptance!

Do a search for "Mayo Class of 2014- Accepted Students" and I'll be happy to approve your membership request.

:luck: everyone still waiting!

and for matriculants currently holding multiple acceptances including mayo: kudos to you, you're a badass, please make a decision soon, the rest of us are waiting anxiously on you :)

thanks!

Well, if all else fails (and people continue struggling with their decision), we know there should be some movement come May 15th-ish.

I personally know of at least 2-3 people who have some SERIOUS soul-searching to do before they can let this one go, but that's why we have deadlines I guess.

:luck:

Well, if all else fails (and people continue struggling with their decision), we know there should be some movement come May 15th-ish.

I personally know of at least 2-3 people who have some SERIOUS soul-searching to do before they can let this one go, but that's why we have deadlines I guess.

:luck:

yea man, i'm still on the fence...

Alternate List :luck:-
paki20, shawshank1, shepardsun, PhDtoMD2010, jizzle, JJFoshay, OMSTR, SirSpicious, Affix, saveferris, FutureDoc17, WCS, tommy55

Accepted :love:-
itsalovestory, bamtuba, nerday shortay, musik, pharaoh88, sultanMD, premad, Jolt21, Jerew, Beignet87, kspace, archimedesxx, dreamcatchr88,
LetGod, Alive and well (off alternate list)

Hey friends, check your email! My financial aid package just came, so I assume others have gone out. They made it generous...

At least a couple of people withdrew today after finding out they were not going to get a free ride at Mayo. :eek:

But I will say Mayo was VERY generous and as usual beat their conservative estimate by a decent amount.

:luck: to those on the WL! :)

(...and to those withdrawing, :luck: with school next year!)

At least a couple of people withdrew today after finding out they were not going to get a free ride at Mayo. :eek:

But I will say Mayo was VERY generous and as usual beat their conservative estimate by a decent amount.

:luck: to those on the WL! :)

(...and to those withdrawing, :luck: with school next year!)

And so it begins, lol. It's sad that I still remember their area code, even though they have never called me, lol.

Thanks for the info, bam.

Also, is it true that Mayo didn't over-accept this year? In other words, every person who withdraws immediately opens a spot for someone on the waitlist.

Hey future Mayo-hopefuls,

I wanted to pass along a couple of tidbits from the admissions staff. First, 4 people have been accepted off of the alternate list so far. As of now, we have accepted exactly 50 students, so for every withdrawal there will be an acceptance extended to another student on the alternate list. Historically, there are around 20 students taken but it could be more or less this year. From what I have heard, financial aid packages are quite good this year and many people have been excited about Mayo from the get-go, so it may be fewer. I hope to see you all here next year.

Second, there have been some questions about how to go about withdrawing. Email is the preferred method, as it gets to the admissions office instantaneously and thus allows an offer to be extended to another student more quickly. A formal written letter is not needed. This means that student gets the call he/she has been waiting for and allows people to make plans to move to Rochester with more lead time.

Best of luck and enjoy the rest of your year!

Thank you PremedIowa! Do you know if the adcom has to meet after someone declines their acceptance before the spot is extended to a person on the waitlist? If they do, is there a certain day this happens (say Thursday)?

They do meet to decide which candidate gets the new offer (to keep class diversity and balance). I'm not sure which day they meet or if they are still meeting weekly. Sorry I can't help with that one!

Thank you PremedIowa! Do you know if the adcom has to meet after someone declines their acceptance before the spot is extended to a person on the waitlist? If they do, is there a certain day this happens (say Thursday)?

Yeah, thanks for passing that info along , premed!

I was actually wondering the same thing as you, jizzle. lol

Hey, can any current students tell me if the budget/CoA provided by Mayo matches up with what you spend each year? Little disconcerting that the tuition is so reasonable, >12-17 thousand less than Harvard, Penn, but CoA is only 3-4 thousand less. Part of this seems to be housing estimates being bigger at Mayo...but I would love a first-hand opinion on what you spend. Thanks. :)

No one that I know really well in my class has managed to spend all that money and borrow less as a result. You really would have to go out of your way to actually spend the entire COA. They just inflate it in case you have to take care of a bunch of kiddos and need a small house or whatnot. Rent is probably ~500-700 for a decent single apartment close by and that can include utilities. One of my friends has a place 3 blocks from the school for 650 including utilities. Lots of people have bought condos instead of renting as well because they have access to so much funds.

Geez, I just looked it up. You would have to really struggle at budgeting to spend $2300/month on just living expenses in Rochester. Don't let that be a guide on how much living in Rochester actually costs.

No one that I know really well in my class has managed to spend all that money and borrow less as a result. You really would have to go out of your way to actually spend the entire COA. They just inflate it in case you have to take care of a bunch of kiddos and need a small house or whatnot. Rent is probably ~500-700 for a decent single apartment close by and that can include utilities. One of my friends has a place 3 blocks from the school for 650 including utilities. Lots of people have bought condos instead of renting as well because they have access to so much funds.

Geez, I just looked it up. You would have to really struggle at budgeting to spend $2300/month on just living expenses in Rochester. Don't let that be a guide on how much living in Rochester actually costs.

Thank you so much! I was hoping this was the case, but the budget had me a bit scared. Especially my little spreadsheet with loans/year needed to meet CoA. :) Most schools don't seem to give a budget estimate with that much padding. Seems good, though, allowing you to tailor your budget to your needs.

Just got the call from Marcy! I'm really excited for this opportunity and I'm looking forward to meeting my future classmates!

Just got the call from Marcy! I'm really excited for this opportunity and I'm looking forward to meeting my future classmates!

Congrats! I *just* withdrew about two hours ago, so maybe they work faaaaast. Love Mayo. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.