2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, for me, Mayo was the only school that could cut the mustard.

:lol::lol::lol:

Members don't see this ad.

All hail the great Mayo...

Mayo is an incredible school. But sometimes threads on this forum (and this thread in particular, I'd say), sound like an echo chamber where school A is just better than those other schools.

Seriously though, I have yet to see anyone on this thread "brand" their school name or logo into a piece of fruit or vegetable yet...

Just sayin'

If you look around it's everywhere. Just comes with the territory.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it ends up being a bit of a trade off then for single people, and finding a partner is probably part of the reason a lot of people don't go to Mayo. That sort of thing would probably be easier to do at a bigger school with an undergrad campus attached. I can imagine it would be a difficult decision, but you just have to weigh your options and figure out your priorities. If that is to go out to the bars and clubs and pick up some ladies/d00dz on the weekend, then Mayo might not be the right fit. If you just want to find some one nice to settle down with, then I am sure Rochester is a big enough city for you to do that in, but you might not agree.

So here's my take on the whole single versus married sitch...I'm a big city gal whose parents ended up moving to Rochester 4 years ago. I thought it would be the end of the world in terms of my social life when I went home, but it hasn't been. As I have learned, there are a good number of people in their early 20's wandering around Rochester. You just have to look. Granted, I still wonder what it will be like actually living in Rochester. I've only visited during college breaks, and as I have repeatedly read or heard about in the news and other media, black women have it pretty rough in the dating world (especially with professional degrees):(. Therefore, I've definitely had this on my mind ever since I was accepted (because I'm 99.99% sure I'm attending), and I have discussed it with various people. However, as much as I worry about getting married and having a fam one day, it just doesn't make sense to sacrifice my education (which for Mayo, I believe is a steal or ridiculous bargain) for something that is so uncertain. I'll be at Mayo next year whether I'm the only single person or one of many. I would prefer to be in the company of other single classmates though :).

I have lived in and near major cities in other parts of the country but there hasn't been any huge differences in my dating opportunities. And as the alum that I know reminded me, it's only 4 years, and Mayo will prepare you so well that it won't even matter. You will be able to go (pretty much) wherever you want when you graduate. Lastly, as my mother pointed out to me, you never know. There could be other single people like you, who wound up in Rochester for whatever reason: education or work (Mayo, IBM, etc.). Anywho, that's my take...

So here's my take on the whole single versus married sitch...I'm a big city gal whose parents ended up moving to Rochester 4 years ago. I thought it would be the end of the world in terms of my social life when I went home, but it hasn't been. As I have learned, there are a good number of people in their early 20's wandering around Rochester. You just have to look. Granted, I still wonder what it will be like actually living in Rochester. I've only visited during college breaks, and as I have repeatedly read or heard about in the news and other media, black women have it pretty rough in the dating world (especially with professional degrees):(. Therefore, I've definitely had this on my mind ever since I was accepted (because I'm 99.99% sure I'm attending), and I have discussed it with various people. However, as much as I worry about getting married and having a fam one day, it just doesn't make sense to sacrifice my education (which for Mayo, I believe is a steal or ridiculous bargain) for something that is so uncertain. I'll be at Mayo next year whether I'm the only single person or one of many. I would prefer to be in the company of other single classmates though :).

I have lived in and near major cities in other parts of the country but there hasn't been any huge differences in my dating opportunities. And as the alum that I know reminded me, it's only 4 years, and Mayo will prepare you so well that it won't even matter. You will be able to go (pretty much) wherever you want when you graduate. Lastly, as my mother pointed out to me, you never know. There could be other single people like you, who wound up in Rochester for whatever reason: education or work (Mayo, IBM, etc.). Anywho, that's my take...
:love:Beignet, you're in good company.lol I've been thinking. I'm from NYC and it's not like i'm always in bars and clubs looking for a significant other. It just comes when it comes. Going to a big city or small one isn't really that much of a big deal. I just want to make sure that my classmates like to have fun too. That's one thing that attracts me to Mayo. Hey Beignet, Bamtuba, Jolt et al., do you guys play hard and work hard?:laugh:

I agree - the idea of going to professional school with a focus on getting married seems a little bit silly to me. For those of us entering med school right out of college, we will only be ~26-28 years old when we graduate as MD's. As my mother always says, "Dating is hard; getting married is easy." If/When each of us feels it's time for a step like that, we will make it happen. And just remember, if you ever are looking for and not finding a partner, try the internet! My big sister, who is a lawyer, met my brother-in-law, who is a doctor at Yale, on match.com.

But anyway, I've heard Mayo has a nice spread of students in the married vs single department. Your classmates will be your colleagues, at any school, and relationship status shouldn't an issue in that light.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was an attempt to promote withdrawals from other people to serve your own self-interests (especially because you later said you had no intention of withdrawing). In case I am correct in my finely tuned online woman's intuition, let's not act like a cutthroat pre-med. Mayo Medical School (and its thread, I'd say), of all schools, is not the place for that.

Haha, I was completely joking. Sarcasm and the internet don't mix. I would certainly hope no one is so easily influenced that a post on SDN could convince them to withdraw. As I said, it costs us nothing to keep our applications active at schools which we have not been accepted to, so I think EVERYONE should keep their application at Mayo active as long as possible. Again, I encourage everyone to NOT withdraw.

You don't have to worry about me being a cutthroat pre-med. I'm more like this guy -->:zip:

Haha, I was completely joking. Sarcasm and the internet don't mix. I would certainly hope no one is so easily influenced that a post on SDN could convince them to withdraw. As I said, it costs us nothing to keep our applications active at schools which we have not been accepted to, so I think EVERYONE should keep their application at Mayo active as long as possible. Again, I encourage everyone to NOT withdraw.

You don't have to worry about me being a cutthroat pre-med. I'm more like this guy -->:zip:

More of a breakdancing monkey, huh? Me too, I guess.

More of a breakdancing monkey, huh? Me too, I guess.

I was more referring to the the fact that the monkey's head is about ten times bigger than his body...as you might guess I fell over a lot as a child with my hamburgler head. Needless to say though, it made for a hell of personal statement too, and after a trip to see a witch doctor my head is down to normal size so everybody wins (but most me, which is really all I care about with my cutthroat gunnerism :p)

:love:Beignet, you're in good company.lol I've been thinking. I'm from NYC and it's not like i'm always in bars and clubs looking for a significant other. It just comes when it comes. Going to a big city or small one isn't really that much of a big deal. I just want to make sure that my classmates like to have fun too. That's one thing that attracts me to Mayo. Hey Beignet, Bamtuba, Jolt et al., do you guys play hard and work hard?:laugh:

:thumbup:

Definitely ready to be around a group of people who know how to a)work like nobody's business when the time comes and b)know how to really relax and put the books away...

I was more referring to the the fact that the monkey's head is about ten times bigger than his body...as you might guess I fell over a lot as a child with my hamburgler head. Needless to say though, it made for a hell of personal statement too, and after a trip to see a witch doctor my head is down to normal size so everybody wins (but most me, which is really all I care about with my cutthroat gunnerism :p)

I can vouch that this story is 100% true.

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)

As a New Orleans native, I believe I naturally fall into the work hard, party harder category. :cool: Haha. For real though, I'm all about hanging out and enjoying my free time (especially while we're young and relatively carefree!).

"Dating is hard; getting married is easy.".

For some reason this reminded me of something funny a psych prof of mine said to my class when one of his former students turned down an admission to top notch Neuroscience PhD program to go live with her boyfriend in some town in the middle of nowhere.

Shaking his head in dismay, "Here's a little fact for you folks to remember: 50 % of marriages end in divorce. A PhD is forever."

I suppose that goes for MD too? :rolleyes:

For some reason this reminded me of something funny a psych prof of mine said to my class when one of his former students turned down an admission to top notch Neuroscience PhD program to go live with her boyfriend in some town in the middle of nowhere.

Shaking his head in dismay, "Here's a little fact for you folks to remember: 50 % of marriages end in divorce. A PhD is forever."

Your prof was wrong. 50% of marriages end up in divorce in America.

Yeah, and that PhD won't keep you as warm at night.

:)

i STILL haven't gotten a ranked e-mail! what does this mean?

Haha, so true.

I'm excited to be going to UW, but I have to say... you would've been a great classmate. ;)

Still might be. You haven't pulled yourself out of the running have you?

lol to match.com

I agree - the idea of going to professional school with a focus on getting married seems a little bit silly to me. For those of us entering med school right out of college, we will only be ~26-28 years old when we graduate as MD's. As my mother always says, "Dating is hard; getting married is easy." If/When each of us feels it's time for a step like that, we will make it happen. And just remember, if you ever are looking for and not finding a partner, try the internet! My big sister, who is a lawyer, met my brother-in-law, who is a doctor at Yale, on match.com.

But anyway, I've heard Mayo has a nice spread of students in the married vs single department. Your classmates will be your colleagues, at any school, and relationship status shouldn't an issue in that light.

Still might be. You haven't pulled yourself out of the running have you?

I'm still in the running for now.. but given the fact that I'm in a great school where we own our house and my husband has a job.. I dunno. If they accept me soon we'll see but I don't have the luxury of picking up and moving last minute.

So lemme get this straight.... All those who are going to be accepted outright ( AKA not on the waitlist) are going to be getting a call on Monday right?

I have stopped becoming obsessed with this board since coming back to college... so I guess I forgot. :p

As always, thanks for your help and explanations guys!

I'm still in the running for now.. but given the fact that I'm in a great school where we own our house and my husband has a job.. I dunno. If they accept me soon we'll see but I don't have the luxury of picking up and moving last minute.

Good to see you posting here. Glad to see you got in to UW, they told me to take a hike post-secondary.

So lemme get this straight.... All those who are going to be accepted outright ( AKA not on the waitlist) are going to be getting a call on Monday right?

I have stopped becoming obsessed with this board since coming back to college... so I guess I forgot. :p

As always, thanks for your help and explanations guys!

Monday or Tuesday is what others have said, which makes sense. However, as has been pointed out Mayo has had to change things in the past, so that might again be the case this week. We just have to wait and see I guess.

Good to see you posting here. Glad to see you got in to UW, they told me to take a hike post-secondary.

Thanks. :)

I hear that getting in OOS to UW is quite difficult.. so, I wouldn't worry too much about that!

Glad to see that you got in to a few schools yourself, really takes the pressure of eh?

Isn't Mayo only like 40 ppl per class or something?

So that's like what 10 people they give outright acceptances to, and the rest are waitlisted and taken?

Thanks. :)

I hear that getting in OOS to UW is quite difficult.. so, I wouldn't worry too much about that!

Glad to see that you got in to a few schools yourself, really takes the pressure of eh?

Yeah, that first acceptance was a huge relief, but it also killed my motivation to finish undergrad. I just want to skip my last semester and start med school now. Lucky you already graduated and finished with that nonsense.

As for UW, it was probably better that they rejected me and saved me the money of coming out for an interview, because I think my state school would be a better fit for me with my family near by. Plus, its probably $80k+ cheaper over four years of school.

We could both still end up at Mayo, so maybe we'll be at the same school next year.

Isn't Mayo only like 40 ppl per class or something?

So that's like what 10 people they give outright acceptances to, and the rest are waitlisted and taken?

:confused: Mayo over accepts for their class like just about every other school in the country (except Cleveland Clinic I think).

Monday or Tuesday is what others have said, which makes sense. However, as has been pointed out Mayo has had to change things in the past, so that might again be the case this week. We just have to wait and see I guess.

When I called (like a week ago) they said calls would probably go out towards the end of this week so I would guess Thursday-(ish)

Last edited:
so calls are going out today?

No offense but sometimes I wonder if some people even bother reading the threat before posting the same questions over and over. Have you checked the post RIGHT BEFORE YOURS???

No offense but sometimes I wonder if some people even bother reading the threat before posting the same questions over and over. Have you checked the post RIGHT BEFORE YOURS???

A surprising number of people literally don't bother to read any of the other posts before posting a question. In his defense, a 54-page thread can look daunting if you haven't been keeping up with things...

Does anyone know if we will receive a rejection email if we don't get accepted or put on the waitlist?

sorry bro, I don't spend much more than an hour or two a week on SDN, and when I have questions I just click on the first page of the thread and ask them. I neither have the patience, nor the time or the interest, to read through 50+ pages and 2600+ posts.

A surprising number of people literally don't bother to read any of the other posts before posting a question. In his defense, a 54-page thread can look daunting if you haven't been keeping up with things...

True that, true that, plus we're all anxious. But I think people should still put forth the effort to at least read the last page or so. That would help cut out a lot of clutter and maybe the 54-page threat wouldn't be a 54-page threat and not so daunting after all.

True that, true that, plus we're all anxious. But I think people should still put forth the effort to at least read the last page or so. That would help cut out a lot of clutter and maybe the 54-page threat wouldn't be a 54-page threat and not so daunting after all.

Nah, we would still find a way to make the thread as long as possible.

Does anyone know if we will receive a rejection email if we don't get accepted or put on the waitlist?

I think I've read earlier that you will get a rejection email. But, I'm not sure how long it'll take to get the waitlist together and whether they will send out waitlist or rejection emails first.

I think I've read earlier that you will get a rejection email. But, I'm not sure how long it'll take to get the waitlist together and whether they will send out waitlist or rejection emails first.

Not sure if this year will be different, but last year the waitlist and rejection emails went out on the same day with the waitlist emails going out probably about 15-30 minutes before the rejections. Good luck!

Few questions for any Mayo students or otherwise who might know the answers. Hopefully I'm touching on stuff that others may find helpful as well.

What are the third and fourth year rotations like? What are the cases like (zebra v. horse), what is the role of the med student on the team, what are the hours like, and what are the available electives (I am interested in Rad Onc and Heme-Onc)?

Are all rotations (besides away at AZ of FL) at Methodist or St. Mary's, or are there off-campus sites, perhaps for family med?

How are students evaluated in 3rd and 4th years?

During any of the four years, do students take classes with the graduate school? Is this possible/practical? What are the quality of these courses?

What is the role of the med students in the clinics 1st and 2nd years? How often are they there?

Has anyone sought out basic science research, as opposed to clinical application (as is Mayo's specialty)?

How does health insurance work with financial aid? When people say they are paying 5k a year (as most of the class has similar financial aid), does this include health insurance?

What type of international work do students do, and can this come out of the 5K travel budget?

I hope I'm not being a terrible pest, but I am trying to get a much more detailed picture of how the medical school works at Mayo. I love the place, but want to make sure I know enough! Very much appreciated :)

Cast! Caaaast! Don't go! Any thoughts on above Q's? I think a few people had similar questions.

Cast! Caaaast! Don't go! Any thoughts on above Q's? I think a few people had similar questions.

yea, what's with students all of a sudden disappearing? :p

my question:
good questions. they'll help me also.

no new acceptances as of late? maaaan.

one question i have for students:

People here at my hospital view Mayo as a "factory" just pumping paid procedures out (i know they have an obscene amount of OR's). And one major criticism i heard that Mayo is not condusive to new ideas, techniques, and breakthroughs. Anything anyone can comment on?

Agreed. I would love to know this info as well.

The problem, I think, is that the current Mayo students like to do things right the first time and give all of their thoughts at once. Someone is probably on their third draft for the response to those questions. ;)

What are the third and fourth year rotations like? What are the cases like (zebra v. horse), what is the role of the med student on the team, what are the hours like, and what are the available electives (I am interested in Rad Onc and Heme-Onc)?

I don't have any firsthand experience, so I might be wrong, but those electives are available and are generally taken during the fourth year. You'll see lots of "bread and butter" and zebras alike.

Are all rotations (besides away at AZ of FL) at Methodist or St. Mary's, or are there off-campus sites, perhaps for family med?

You can go off campus if you want. I'm not sure if they limit the number or anything but you can definitely do this during 4th year. I'm not sure about third year if it's not at MCA/MCF. If you want, most/all of them can be in Rochester. I believe family med is on campus, but I imagine you could do one in the Mayo Health System in a more rural location nearby if you wanted.

How are students evaluated in 3rd and 4th years?

H/HP/P/F I believe.

During any of the four years, do students take classes with the graduate school? Is this possible/practical? What are the quality of these courses?

Nope. We share a couple anatomy lab sessions with PT students and teach each other various things, but it is not a joint class. We aren't even on the same system (blocks, not semesters).

What is the role of the med students in the clinics 1st and 2nd years? How often are they there?

I'm still a first year, but they do a decent job of giving us exposure to patients through selectives, disruptions in development and basic doctoring (the latter being longitudinal programs). I hear they do a better job of this during second year, but you might be better off asking a second year.

Has anyone sought out basic science research, as opposed to clinical application (as is Mayo's specialty)?

I haven't yet, but it is available. We get a fair amount of NIH and internal funding for various research projects in both clinical and basic science (~$500M/year)

How does health insurance work with financial aid? When people say they are paying 5k a year (as most of the class has similar financial aid), does this include health insurance?

You are allowed to enroll in Mayo's health insurance plan as a medical student. Rates are pretty reasonable from what I hear, but that is in addition to tuition.

What type of international work do students do, and can this come out of the 5K travel budget?

Anything you want. There are organized trips through MMS but you can go with other organizations as well. In order for it to qualify for the $5k travel budget, you must provide direct medical care (i.e. not shadowing). You get $1200 for an international trip and $600 for a domestic trip.

This was brief so feel free to PM me for more detail...

Last edited:

I initially asked the same questions about horses and zebras. This is how I responded to another student who asked this:
"This is a more important question for residency selection rather than med school. I actually asked the same question and was told that Mayo serves as the primary care for the entirety of Olmsted county, a secondary center for much of MN, WI, and IA, and a tertiary center for patients worldwide. That means that we get to see lots of "horses" and many "zebras" as well. On the whole, though, this question is not really important for selecting a med school as long as there is enough of a caseload for students to learn on...and at a hospital with 3500 attending physicians and 350,000 patients per year there is plenty to go around."

In addition, we have lots of selective time early on to allow for experiences that as broad or in-depth if you like. For example, I have shadowed and done research in a bunch of specialties, whereas a classmate of mine uses most of her selective time for clinical time and research in RadOnc. Selectives allow us to explore or specialize as we see fit very early on in the curriculum. In addition, these selectives can be done at other institutions, possibly allowing students to develop relationships with other programs.

I initially thought it sounded really cool to take grad school courses, but I think we all vastly overestimate what we are capable of. Even when we "only" have one class at a time, that class takes an enormous amount of time. When you add in things like research and other responsibilities, I doubt any student at any school would be able to handle and would benefit from trying to take grad school classes. If you are interested in research training, though, we have Master's and PhD programs that allow for comprehensive research training rather than just what can be fit in in hour blocks.

We shadow at first, then move to taking patient histories, performing exams, and assisting in procedures. For example, I shadowed in the procedure clinic and initially only assisted in injections, but was later able to perform them myself (under exceptionally close supervision). In second year, they have regular clinical experiences in the morning in the specialties that relate to the current block (such as cardiology).

I think the previous poster covered the rest. Insurance is ~$28/month for a single person and ~$90/month for a family. I think it's fair to say that we like it here and this is a great place. Best wishes in making your decision!

I just got a "hold" email. Does that mean I'm on the waitlist? I thought at this point theywere handing out the last acceptances and everyone else would either go on the waitlist or be rejected??

Status
Not open for further replies.